• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Bombproof handguns?

corbon

Private
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2006
In terms of durability and reliability, which handgun/s would be comparable to an AIAW/AIAX, which are known for these features? Glock 17, HK USP .45ACP, etc?

Re: Bombproof handguns?

A little ambiguous. Are you looking for a proven combat side arm? Or are you looking for a handgun with faetures like an AI (bolt action)?

Nothing is bombproof.

In my opinion, a Ruger single action revolver is probably one of the toughest handguns around.

After the 1977 Somalia rescue, the GSG9 were photographed wearing revolvers as sidearms. Very reliable weapons indeed.

any Glock...
smile.gif

In terms of strength, I rank Freedom Arms at the top.

glock 17 19 need to change the sights.

revolvers are junk in really dirty enviornments or if they get wet and freeze. Glock will keep running. HK and Sig won't. Beretta does ok but not as well as glock.

Biggest thing is if your glock does get totally funked up you can take it apart in a few min down to all the parts and clean it. Others you need a bench, tools, and at least a good 45min++++

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">glock 17 19 need to change the sights.

revolvers are junk in really dirty enviornments or if they get wet and freeze. Glock will keep running. HK and Sig won't. Beretta does ok but not as well as glock.

Biggest thing is if your glock does get totally funked up you can take it apart in a few min down to all the parts and clean it. Others you need a bench, tools, and at least a good 45min++++ </div></div>

Exactly , i know a bunch of SWCC operators and only 1 likes the Sig 226 ther are issued , kost are glock fans and couple like the 1911 if built right , and from the SF guys they work with and discussed the same pretty much goes for them from what i understand.

I'm going to be one of the naysayers that talk out AGAINST Glock!
wink.gif
I know ...... let the roasting begin!

Anyway. I recently put an S&W M&P 45 FS through a torture test of my own, and came up with outstanding results.

I took an out of the box S&W M&P 45 Full Size (item#:109307) and put it through a battery of torture tests. To sum it up, I sent it to hell and back, and it kept firing after each test without a hiccup.

A few of the things I did were:

Brick Mortar mixer for 2 minutes. Shook it off, cleared the barrel, and fired 3 of 3 magazines without a problem.

Froze the pistol in a sand, sugar, salt, and water concoction, and broke the ice away with a 10# sledge, cleared the barrel by slapping the pistol against a cinder block to break the ice inside, and fired it while the pistol was still caked in sand, sugar, salt, and water in every imaginable place. 5 of 5 magazines - no issues.

Filled a 5 gallon bucket with Ohio River bottom mud and worked the mud into the pistol. Again, cleared the barrel and successfully fired 5 of 5 magazines without a single hiccup.

There were a few more things I did, but didn't want anyone copying the entire test so I won't mention them here.

All in all ... the S&W M&P 45 gets my vote.

Oh, and before I forget. Have you noticed how there are droves of LEOs who are switching to the M&P? Departments are allowing their longtime Glock contracts to expire and going with the M&Ps.

Yes it is amazing what glock will go through, too bad the erognomics on them suck imo. When I push out I am aiming high.

Learning to pick up the FS at the 2 and driving it all the way to the target is cure for POI changes among different platforms. Glock points high for most initially, but driving the FS to POA forces the shoooter to shove the muzzle down on extension.

I prefer 1911s but I see no POI changes between my 1911, Hi Power, Glock.

Good luck

Worked with Glocks in multiple places with different environments. Based on those experiences, I will never purchase a Glock for personal use. Hardly what I would describe as 'bombproof'.

Glock21SF. Heavy duty, clean or dirty, wet or dry, abused or misused...always goes BANG. Replace the stock sights with all metal ones and you are all set.

he said bombproof handgun. mark 23 while bombproof is a freakin billy club! lol

when the chips are down go glock. plain and simple with no extra do dads or gadgets(decockers or external safeties) and the dont have to be spotless to function

when the chips are down go glock. plain and simple with no extra do dads or gadgets(decockers or external safeties) and the dont have to be spotless to function

M&P has too many stupid lawyer safeties and what is with the hole in the top of barrel/slide for crap to get into. I watched some NRA show where they sprinkled telcom powder from about 10" above the gun while the guy was shooting the M&P --thus some of the telecom powder made it into the action/slide/barrel. Gun stopped working in 5 shots. lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">he said bombproof handgun. mark 23 while bombproof is a freakin billy club! lol </div></div>

Lol yeah definitely a club!

ill have to remember that if i ever get in a gun battle with a powder puff lol glocks do tend to work no matter what

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bad Medicine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes it is amazing what glock will go through, too bad the erognomics on them suck imo. When I push out I am aiming high. </div></div>

in my opinion glock is one of the most ergonomic pistols you can buy. the problem is that you have to unlearn all the stuff you got from holding funky right angle pistols all your life. for example ive shot mostly glocks. so when i held a 1911 for the first time i had to look at the side of the gun to find the slide lock and magazine release because they are not located in natural spots that my hand could find on its own. also the 1911 had this funky thing that made the gun lock up. the salesman said it was some sort of safe thing to make you not shoot people on accident when you have no diciplin in gun safety. the first time i ever held a pistol ever in my life it was a glock and i had no issues manipulating it like a pro.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glock will keep running. HK and Sig won't. Beretta does ok but not as well as glock.

Biggest thing is if your glock does get totally funked up you can take it apart in a few min down to all the parts and clean it. Others you need a bench, tools, and at least a good 45min++++ </div></div>

I at least know and admit that I drink the HK cool aid and I usually refrain from these types of arguements. One thing I won't do is make a retardedly general statement like "An HK is the only handgun you can breakdown without tools and an advanced armorer's manual." or "HK's are the only handgun that you can shoot when they are dirty and/ or frozen."

Carry what you want, know its limitations, and train with it.

nvtyqa.jpg

My front sight wouldn't make it, cause plastic aint bomb proof

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">revolvers are junk in really dirty enviornments or if they get wet and freeze.</div></div>
Mean like in the Old West? John Wayne never carried a glock ...
laugh.gif
wink.gif

I hear ya, we are all accostomed to different angles, my grandpa and my dad were 1911 fans and they got me hooked on the angle.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AbvvurXmAmg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AbvvurXmAmg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dTBG01eYn78&feature=relmfu"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dTBG01eYn78&feature=relmfu" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

so if youre looking at sole indestructibility(which none are indestructible) HK USP and Mk23 is what your looking for. period. its not a biased opinion which is all youll get from glocktards, its truth. i wont go into depth but go to the ol you tube and check out the testing they did on the USP/Mk23, you will be blown away. plus, dont quote me on this but USPs are combat proven as well, theyve seen combat in various locations with different elements of the US special ops, not to mention its the standard side arm of the Bundeswehr

In my experience steel is more resistant to explosions and impact than plastic, I'd opt for something with predominantly steel construction for 'bomb-proof' requirements. If you meant 'bomb-proof' as a figure of speech, well yeah I was going to assert that if you need a pistol designed to withstand an explosion your priorities are screwed up.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColdShotKill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so if youre looking at sole indestructibility(which none are indestructible) HK USP and Mk23 is what your looking for. period. its not a biased opinion which is all youll get from glocktards, its truth. i wont go into depth but go to the ol you tube and check out the testing they did on the USP/Mk23, you will be blown away. plus, dont quote me on this but USPs are combat proven as well, theyve seen combat in various locations with different elements of the US special ops, not to mention its the standard side arm of the Bundeswehr </div></div>

Glocktards??? Now thats not nice.

From my perspective I have observed numerous handguns break and not function for more than one round once they experienced the break. Though I have observed several Glocks break and still function for 2 or more rounds before malfunctioning. To me this speaks volumes. The other great thing about a Glock is almost anyone can repair a Glock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cowboy_bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColdShotKill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so if youre looking at sole indestructibility(which none are indestructible) HK USP and Mk23 is what your looking for. period. its not a biased opinion which is all youll get from glocktards, its truth. i wont go into depth but go to the ol you tube and check out the testing they did on the USP/Mk23, you will be blown away. plus, dont quote me on this but USPs are combat proven as well, theyve seen combat in various locations with different elements of the US special ops, not to mention its the standard side arm of the Bundeswehr </div></div>

Glocktards??? Now thats not nice.

From my perspective I have observed numerous handguns break and not function for more than one round once they experienced the break. Though I have observed several Glocks break and still function for 2 or more rounds before malfunctioning. To me this speaks volumes. The other great thing about a Glock is almost anyone can repair a Glock. </div></div>

sorry bout that glocktard comment. but also yeah i do agree with what you said about the glocks reliability. no one can straight deny that glocks arent tough

I think most would agree that if they had to take one handgun into a hostile environment it would be a glock. Everyone has their favorites for different reasons. However, when your actually using it on a daily basis and it could save your life, a glock is hard to beat. HK, Sig, M&P's, 1911's, and others are all great and a lot of us have owned or do own them all. That being said, a glock is about as "bombproof" as it gets. There's a reason they're carried by some of the most elite operators on earth. They're accurate enough and they just work.

Revolvers freeze in the cold and become inoperable ? More uniformed proper gander .

I think you will find that it is the lube thats freezing and if the gun was prepared properly it would not be an issue , Your bolt gun will freeze as well if not prepared for frozen condition's .

For me the overall best “bomb proof” pistol has to be the original 1911. When I say original I mean original, many served through both world wars, Korea and Vietnam, to me that is the definition of indestructible. Sure running repairs and maintenance were made to those pistols over the years but that is to be expected. However with the ever increasing popularity of the 1911 design there have been some less than reliable models seeping into the hands of the public but for outright indestructibility nothing else has come close to the original 1911 yet, give it another 60 years and then the Tactical Tupperware can start bragging about their survivability.

On the Tactical Tupperware side of things my vote goes to the H+K USP, I’ve seen and had too many malfunctions with Glock’s to ever feel comfortable carrying one.

I am very surprised when people talk about glocks malfunctioning. I currently own 6 of them, have owned 10, and Ive shot dozens. There are only two malfs I've ever witnessed; and I've shot tens of thousands of rounds through them.

1. Stovepipe during load development with too weak a charge.
2. Once I totally cleaned my 30 - total disassembly, cleaned in mineral spirits part washer, dried with compressed air and reassembled with no lubrication whatsoever. It would run about 95%, but would FTE and FTF occasionally. Even simply blowing my nose on the slide rails made it run 100%. I think just shooting it more to get more powder residue everywhere would have also solved it.

Sorry to hear many of y'all have had bad experiences with Glock. I'll keep running them though - best/most practical guns ever as far as I'm concerned.

I did buy my first 1911 this year though - to commemorate the 100th anniversary and all. It's a nice piece and I enjoy shooting it, but I still prefer the Glock...especially the 30. When they say "Glock Perfection", I think they were referring to the 30.

At the range today, a guy was checking my 30 out. It was locked back with no mag and a chamber flag in place. He fumbled it and dropped it on the concrete. It bounced a couple times, and the guy was horrified. Before I even picked it up, he was saying "I'm so sorry, I'll buy it from you!". Not a scratch. Not ONE FREAKIN SCRATCH. If he had dropped my S&W 617 or my Sig 1911 like that, it probably wouldn't have hurt the functionality of them, but they would have had some battlescars to show for it - and I would have taken him up on the "you broke it, you bought it" philosophy.

If you are worried about damage done from dropping your pistol you have no need for anything that is bomb proof .

If I have a choice as to what I can use it is a 1911 or a good wheel gun .

I have nothing against any other of the mentioned handgun thats just what works for me and a lot of other's as well .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColdShotKill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so if youre looking at sole indestructibility(which none are indestructible) HK USP and Mk23 is what your looking for. period. its not a biased opinion which is all youll get from glocktards, its truth. i wont go into depth but go to the ol you tube and check out the testing they did on the USP/Mk23, you will be blown away. plus, dont quote me on this but USPs are combat proven as well, theyve seen combat in various locations with different elements of the US special ops, not to mention its the standard side arm of the Bundeswehr </div></div>

I've probably put 8,000 rounds through my HK USP Compact .357sig and have NEVER had any issues with the gun.

I did however get powder residue in the gun from a bad batch of WWB that wouldn't really cycle too well. Almost like not all of the powder was burning but since then, no issues.

I love my HK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColdShotKill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so if youre looking at sole indestructibility(which none are indestructible) HK USP and Mk23 is what your looking for. period. its not a biased opinion which is all youll get from glocktards, its truth. i wont go into depth but go to the ol you tube and check out the testing they did on the USP/Mk23, you will be blown away. plus, dont quote me on this but USPs are combat proven as well, theyve seen combat in various locations with different elements of the US special ops, not to mention its the standard side arm of the Bundeswehr </div></div>

I've probably put 8,000 rounds through my HK USP Compact .357sig and have NEVER had any issues with the gun.

I did however get powder residue in the gun from a bad batch of WWB that wouldn't really cycle too well. Almost like not all of the powder was burning but since then, no issues.

I love my HK. </div></div>

good stuff. i used to have a USP in .45 and right before i sold it to a pawn shop i decided to beat the hell out of it, i wiped it dry and put about 4100 rounds through it. ate them all just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am very surprised when people talk about glocks malfunctioning.</div></div>

I'm not. I believe the Glock to be as reliable as anything available, but I witness failures on a regular basis. Usually it's shooter induced (poor ammo or lack of maintenance), but occasionally it's firearm related.