• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Book Suggestions

Smokin7s

Lawyer, Astronaut, Pathological Liar
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2020
Oklahoma
My New Years resolution is 1 book per quarter. I don’t really need to read any weird motivational shit.

Outside of odd self help books is there anything that’s a must read? Drop it below thanks for the help.

If you aren't into what i posted above, try " To ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth" by Col. Jeff Cooper. Some of it is a little dated, but it's a prized member of my book collection.

The Spy And The Traitor by Ben Macintyre.

If Not Now When
The Man That Never Was
Semper Fi Mac
Finish Forty and Home
Blues Bastards
Jack Hinson's One Man War

If you aren't into what i posted above, try " To ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth" by Col. Jeff Cooper. Some of it is a little dated, but it's a prized member of my book collection.
I’ve been trying to remember this book thank you!

Reactions: Campguy308
Night Stalkers" by Fred Pushies

The Gulag Archipelago

The boys from Brazil

Space viking by H. Beam. Piper

Moscow rules

The grapes of wraith

Unintended consequences- john ross

"The art of rimfire accuracy" -bill calfee

"A Failure of Civility"

best projectile for caliber by Brian Litz

The ballad of Carl drega

Death waits in the dark

Read Richard Rhodes Pulitzer Prize winning book “the making of the atomic bomb

Fortunate son. Lewis puller

If you give a mouse a cookie

Arming the union. Carrie brown

Fox 2/7 at Tok Tong

Last stands, why men fight when all is lost

The dying place

Lights out

One minute after

Black side- Nathan hale

Storm of steel

Killing che

When the killer man comes

The gift of fear

The price of glory- alistaire horne

Theres a devil in the drum- Ernst junger
Storm of steel-Ernst junger

Unintended consequences by john ross

Black banners by Ali soufan

What Shalamov saw and learned in Kolyma: https://shalamov.ru/en/library/34/1.html

Louis barthas "poilu"

The bloody forest

The death factory

Donald R. Burgett (ww2)

The Newberg sting

Atomic habits-james clue

Fingerprints of the gods
-gram handcock

From Out of Nowhere: A history of the Military Sniper from the Revolutionary war to WW2. by Martin Pegler.

Sniper" by Adrian Gilbert

Victory Point: Operations Red Wings and Whalers - the Marine Corps' Battle for Freedom in Afghanistan

I read this 20 years ago and enjoyed it.

My favorite from Stephen Hunter. The whole Swagger series is great though.

All the Reachers are excellent. There is more action in the beginning of the series, this one is my favorite.

All time great! I’ve read this more then once. It’s the only book and movie that nothing is changed.

Some non-fiction

Reactions: camocorvette

I read this 20 years ago and enjoyed it.

My favorite from Stephen Hunter. The whole Swagger series is great though.

All the Reachers are excellent. There is more action in the beginning of the series, this one is my favorite.

All time great! I’ve read this more then once. It’s the only book and movie that nothing is changed.

Some non-fiction

I was already thinking about reading lonesome dove is it easy to stay hooked on?

I was already thinking about reading lonesome dove is it easy to stay hooked on?
My avatar is a drawing of Guss McCrey, and Captin Call form the movie that my father in law drew for me. It’s my favorite book and movie.
55DD2B7E-05C0-4369-A8AE-B19BB52EC21C.jpeg

Outlaw platoon by Sean Parnell, a great read I learned about from Jocko podcast.

I plan to start reading more books from the list that Jocko has done his podcasts on. First one I plan to read is Across the fence by John Stryker Meyer. Have a look through the list from his podcasts website.

There is something for everyone in there. This year Santa gave my wife the book “The ride of our lives” by John Gronski. She loved it. Jocko does a nice job of touching on key parts of each book while he discusses it with the author.

The first two I'd reckon is valuable to anyone regardless of reading tastes. The 2nd two if you invest at all will be worth your time.

Deceiving the sky: Inside Communist China's drive for global supremacy - Bill Gertz
China's Vision of Victory - Jonathan Ward
Don't Blame the Shorts - Robert Sloan
The Invisible Hands - Hedge Funds off the record - Steven Drobny

Last edited:
Reactions: Smokin7s
Brothers of War. Michael Eisenhut
Set in the Civil War but a great story of soldiers. You'll see people from your modern experience

If you are interested in USMC history I have a ton of books I would like to move on to a good home.

Let me be your Amazon.....shipping will be cheap using the USPS "books and media" shipping.

Reactions: canman
Sir Terry Pratchett's Discworld Series. Amazing. Pick anywhere to start other than the first 2 (he said himself don't start there). Comedic fantasy.
1200px-Discworld_Reading_Order_Guide_3.0.jpg

Douglas Adam's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is also really good.

My New Years resolution is 1 book per quarter. I don’t really need to read any weird motivational shit.

Outside of odd self help books is there anything that’s a must read? Drop it below thanks for the help.
Thought I'd share something my neighbor did in our neighborhood....a book sharing email. Of course those of us on the list all had some common ground(conservatives and firearms owners). This helps to ensure you don't get books about feminists, white guilt, global swarming or how to groom your kid to be a tranny. Sometimes my reading focus can get stale and being a huge nerd even have the Coke bottle thick glasses to prove it! History, economics and finance/investing topics are my 1st choice, but even that gets repetitive. Through that email I found out I had an interest in a bit of a different twist.....James Michener books. The explorer in me was captivated....some were dud's like Carribbean. Texas was flipping great as was Alaska. When you said 1 book per quarter I thought of Michener b/c his books are um....long. Anyway just a thought which can make book swapping as easy as dropping off in a mailbox. We are all voracious readers who just HAVE to grab a paperback. Tried the e-reader just something about a book.

Have fun and welcome to the nerdery!

Thought I'd share something my neighbor did in our neighborhood....a book sharing email. Of course those of us on the list all had some common ground(conservatives and firearms owners). This helps to ensure you don't get books about feminists, white guilt, global swarming or how to groom your kid to be a tranny. Sometimes my reading focus can get stale and being a huge nerd even have the Coke bottle thick glasses to prove it! History, economics and finance/investing topics are my 1st choice, but even that gets repetitive. Through that email I found out I had an interest in a bit of a different twist.....James Michener books. The explorer in me was captivated....some were dud's like Carribbean. Texas was flipping great as was Alaska. When you said 1 book per quarter I thought of Michener b/c his books are um....long. Anyway just a thought which can make book swapping as easy as dropping off in a mailbox. We are all voracious readers who just HAVE to grab a paperback. Tried the e-reader just something about a book.

Have fun and welcome to the nerdery!

My locality has those little tiny house book drop libraries everywhere.....kind of like bird houses for books.

I should buy a case of "Turner Diaries" and put a cop you in every one I pass.

My locality has those little tiny house book drop libraries everywhere.....kind of like bird houses for books.

I should buy a case of "Turner Diaries" and put a cop you in every one I pass.
There is one at the local BBQ joint we hit after shooting, but the book choices seem to be kids leftovers. Love those my parents live in a development where the wellness/tennis/workout center doesn't just have a box it's a flipping library pretty neat. I'd have to say 2k books there at a minimum.

Reactions: pmclaine
I have so many books.

I love books.

I wish I had a library of sorts just to brag on how well read I am in a very narrow field of subjects.

People would be able to ask me "Okay how many times are you going to read books about Patton?"

I have so many books.

I love books.

I wish I had a library of sorts just to brag on how well read I am in a very narrow field of subjects.

People would be able to ask me "Okay how many times are you going to read books about Patton?"
I'm actually starting American Solder - General Tommy Franks by this weekend. After the new year starts I like to get back into my routine of keeping 2 books going. I love Nov/Dec and family, but I like my routine dangit. When I'm down at my parents and I go swim I so want to grab a book that place is like a free reloading borrow warehouse! Any Patton titles you suggest?

Last edited:
I'm actually starting American Solder - General Tommy Franks by this weekend. After the new year starts I like to get back into my routine of keeping 2 books going. I love Nov/Dec and family, but I like my routine dangit. When I'm down at my parents and I go swim I so want to grab a book that place is like a free reloading borrow warehouse! Any Patton titles you suggest?
51nPWeM6NZL.jpg

Reading this right now.....

51UmT0i70OL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Forgotten history that helped form the American mindset and was likely one of those events that set us on the path to eventual Revolution.

Fart Proudly - Writings of Benjamin Franklin You Never Read in School

There’s also a cookbook that accompanies The Carnivore Code that comes out next month

Outside of odd self help books is there anything that’s a must read? Drop it below thanks for the

I'm reading John Grisham's The Judge's List

I have so many books.

I love books.

Books are like guns... You can never have enough

I love Clive Cussler, so basically ANY of his books.

Jack Carr has a series. I started on the fifth book, and it is really good, so I'm definitely going to get the other four and start at the beginning. His main character James Reese is a former SEAL, and he is stone cold in the way he deals with bad guys. Awesome stuff!

Richard Marcinko's Rogue Warrior novels. All good ones.

Inside Delta Force by Eric Haney is a good read.

Can't forget The Art of War by Sun Tzu.

Lucifers Hammer by Jerry Niven and Larry Pournelle. Written in 1977 if I remember correctly, it's about a comet that strikes the earth and the subsequent societal breakdown and rebuilding. I read it back in high school in the 80's. It's dated, but if you like apocalyptic type stories, it's a good one.

fiction: dune,starship troopers,camp of the saints,sucpect. non fiction anything by victor davis hansen,eric hoffer,byron dalrymple or thomas sowell.

According to Terry Goodkind....
Books are knowledge.
Knowledge is a weapon.
I intend to be formidably armed.

Comic books don’t count
You quote me, yet the only comic book suggested was by buffalowinter up above (calvin and hobbs), which you liked.
Do you know where your cat is ?
Have to say that because it makes as much sense as you .

I have so many books.

I love books.

I still have books from middle and high school all those years ago. I tend towards fantasy and sci fi since I read before falling asleep and don't want to think real hard about stuff.

I'm partial to Dean Ing and his vision of the universe. Ditto Alan Dean Foster's more lighthearted view of the universe. Dietz' view of the 'Foreign Legion in space.' The Sten series is good in a more 'special forces' kind of way with a morality tale of 'absolute power corrupts absolutely' included.

If you want a decidedly conservative fantasy series, Goodkind's Sword of Truth books end up being that. There are more than a few of those....

Naval fiction? The Aubrey/Maturin series is great. These are the books the movie Master and Commander is based on. Lots of those too.

Just read Terminal List and it's a completely different book than the movie of the same name. ...like many others including Ready Player One and Two and Starship Troopers.

M