• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report Books on external ballistics?

Shiraz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2008
Land of the Free
I'm looking for books on external ballistics.

I thought the guy who runs JBM wrote a book on ballistics, but I can't seem to find it.

I've checked Amazon, etc. and found books by
Carlucci and Jacobson,
RObert McCoy,
Robert Rinker,
Gjergj Klimi,
Bryan Litz,

Any reccomendations or other books I'm missing?
are any of these any good?

thanks

Re: Books on external ballistics?

I bought Brian Litz book and believe its the most up to date with the greatest amount of tested data .
As a plus Brian will answer questions here at the Hide
Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shiraz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking for books on external ballistics.

I thought the guy who runs JBM wrote a book on ballistics, but I can't seem to find it.

Carlucci and Jacobson,
RObert McCoy,
Robert Rinker,
Gjergj Klimi,
Bryan Litz,

thanks </div></div>

If you are serious about shooting rifles at long range, Brian's book is a "must read". Its full of usable info without being too technical.

Very glad I stumbled on this thread. I have been searching for related books and since im relatively new, no idea what would be a good choice. Thanks for the info guys, and one of many reasons I love this site!

So does Bryan's book include the math formulas also?

I'm interested in running my own calcs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shiraz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So does Bryan's book include the math formulas also?

I'm interested in running my own calcs. </div></div>

Yes it does. There are equations for bc, form factor, lag time, wind deflection, velocity, spin drift and tons of others. There's also good stuff like the Matunas' game weight formula, KE, Miller stability formulas and G7 form factor prediction.

Bryan's book is a must read for any shooter interested in what is going on betwen the time a bullet leaves the barrel till it impacts. However, if you have the math background and want the underlying math complete with the derivations, then get the McCoy book also.

I have ton of books on the subject, and IMO there is none better then

HATCHER'S NOTE BOOK; MG Julian S. Hatcher US Army (org) retired. A companion book if you want to get into more advanced subjects is

MACHINE GUNS; 1916. by the same author.

An example: My grandaughter is working on a science project. She cut down the barrel of a Rem M-700 308,(2 inches at a time from 26-16 inches) with the goal to determine the best barrel lenght for a 308 hunting round to give 2000 ft lbs. of energy at 300 yards. Using Hatcher's Notebook she was able to answer any questions the Science Teachers and Judges could throw at her.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Armorman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shiraz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So does Bryan's book include the math formulas also?

Yes it does. There are equations for bc, form factor, lag time, wind deflection, velocity, spin drift and tons of others. There's also good stuff like the Matunas' game weight formula, KE, Miller stability formulas and G7 form factor prediction. </div></div>

And you can also download this Free small application that uses most of the equations in the book.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1750653#Post1750653

Hello,

I'm also interested in a book on external ballistics, in particular I'm looking for a derivation of the dynamic stability condition from the 6 dof modell.
Does anyone own McCoys "Modern exterior ballistics" or Carluccis "Ballistics: Theory and Design of Guns and Ammunition"? Are these books recommendable?

Thanks
tob

tob,

Get McCoys if you want to get into that level of detail, but also get the errata sheets as there are many typos. For the mathematically inclined McCoy is a good book.

wade

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wwbrown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tob,
also get the errata sheets as there are many typos. For the
wade </div></div>

Thanks for the answer!
I found the sheets, that's quite a list...
Any chance of a new edition?
Do you have the book? How is the dynamic stability derived? Ljapunov's theorem?
tob

McCoy's book derives just about everything, it includes the Siacci method and tables, Sd and Sg derivation, 6 DOF derivation, spark photography methods are shown with pictures describing what's there.

It is a math intensive book, if the reader doesnt have at least the basic 3 calc and 1 ODE classes at a college level it's probably going to be over the reader's head.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shiraz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking for books on external ballistics.

Carlucci and Jacobson,
RObert McCoy,
Robert Rinker,
Gjergj Klimi,
Bryan Litz,

thanks </div></div>

No, I haven't. What kind of problem are you trying to solve? For my purposes, McCoy's book is the best out there.

There are a number of older texts that many of these are based on but they probably wouldn't be much interest.

Check my bibliography page for a complete list of what I have...

Brad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Armorman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shiraz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So does Bryan's book include the math formulas also?

Yes it does. There are equations for bc, form factor, lag time, wind deflection, velocity, spin drift and tons of others. There's also good stuff like the Matunas' game weight formula, KE, Miller stability formulas and G7 form factor prediction. </div></div>
Well, the correct answer is "no it doesn't" - if the question meant "does Bryan's book contain the formulas necessary to compute a bullet trajectory".

Yes there are formulas to estimate/predict bullet BC, and tons of others. But don't expect to write a ballistic calculator based on those.

For running your own calcs I second Brad's advice - you need McCoy. I think his book is the best (especially coupled with the errata sheet that takes care of most - if not all - the errors/typos). I have Carlucci's book and am not crazy at all about it. IMHO it's unreadable - unlike McCoy. Beware - the math in both is quite heavy.

Having said all that - ask yourself if you really want to write a ballistic calculator, considering all the issues involved - and the availability of programs such as Bullet Flight, Ballistic FTE, Strelok, GEBC and many others. How much is your time worth to yourself, and is writing a numeric solver for diff equations your kind of fun? It used to be mine, but that time is long gone...