• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bootleg adjustable on a duty-type gun

thedude824

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2020
Tampa FL
Has anyone used one of the Bootleg adjustable carriers on a suppressed rifle in a high round count class? All of my other systems use adjustable gas blocks and they shoot amazingly well. I also keep them well-oiled and clean. Unfortunately the rifles foul quickly and its a pain to turn the gas up as the rifle gets dirty. With a fixed block, my new "go-to" build with A5H3 and Radian Raptor SD really slams the bolt carrier around with the suppressor attached. It's very pleasant unsuppressed though. Would you trust the Bootleg carrier in this role?

I have one that I tried for a short time to address an oversized gas port on a 10.3” suppressed build. I found the adjustment options were too limited to fix my particular situation. It might be enough to find a happy medium in a better built setup but it was a no go for me.

Also on the duty front… unless they’ve improved the design I would not trust this for use on a duty rifle. The detents for the gas settings are basically nonexistent. More than once I had the gas setting change during firing.

My.02…. You’re better off just adjusting a gas block out a couple extra settings to keep the gun running in bad conditions.

Reactions: thedude824
I have one that I tried for a short time to address an oversized gas port on a 10.3” suppressed build. I found the adjustment options were too limited to fix my particular situation. It might be enough to find a happy medium in a better built setup but it was a no go for me.

Also on the duty front… unless they’ve improved the design I would not trust this for use on a duty rifle. The detents for the gas settings are basically nonexistent. More than once I had the gas setting change during firing.

My.02…. You’re better off just adjusting a gas block out a couple extra settings to keep the gun running in bad conditions.
Do you know if yours was Gen 1 or Gen 2? I believe the Gen 1 was a semi cut and there was mention of a less than acceptable detent. The Gen 2 is a full auto profile. Im kicking myself for parting with the LMT enhanced carrier before comparing it.
Any experience or insight with the Superlative Arms piston kit? Im thinking very seriously of converting one of my other systems and doing a several hundred round comparison.

Yeah, that’s not what a bootleg carrier is good for, despite what their marketing claims.
They are a great suppressed BCG but don’t have the range of adjustment to handle a badly overgassed barrel; you need to use some sort of gas restriction method on that instead.

What they are good for is adjusting between suppressed and open muzzle. I’ve used several of them for a number of years with good success, generally paired with a Seekins gas block, which do not get adjusted ever after the initial tuning.

^^bingo.

They are not meant to fix gas system issues. They are meant to swap between suppressed and unsuppressed quickly without touching the gas block. If you use them in that capacity, they work very well.

They do like to be cleaned pretty often, but I haven’t had any failures in maybe 5k rounds between 2 carriers.

You could run an adjustable GB and a JP VMOS bcg. Supposed to over come the issues with fouling when running suppressed

^^bingo.

They are not meant to fix gas system issues. They are meant to swap between suppressed and unsuppressed quickly without touching the gas block. If you use them in that capacity, they work very well.

They do like to be cleaned pretty often, but I haven’t had any failures in maybe 5k rounds between 2 carriers.
Would you trust it on a duty gun? Any problems with the detent on settings? As it's currently set up, the rifle is amazing unsuppressed. Smooth shooting and 100% reliable. Unfortunately I would run it suppressed MOST of the time as I have a dedicated K can. I can adjust the carrier through the port door to switch to suppressed shooting and as fouling builds up I could quickly go up one setting, again through the port door, to allow more gas to cycle the bolt. To adjust my other rifles I either have to remove the can and try to get a long key to the gas block or remove the handguard to adjust the Seekins select adjustable gas block. Both of those situations completely shut down use of the rifle and basically gaurantee I'll roast my hand trying to get a hot suppressor off.
First and foremost the rifle has to be 100% reliable. Shooting suppressed fouls up the rifles so quickly.

Last edited:
From my experience yes, but feel like I need to qualify that by saying that I haven’t served in any capacity and certainly wouldn’t consider myself to be a great evaluator of duty-ready or not.

I feel as though they’re a quality component that does well when used and maintained properly, but I wouldn’t pretend that mine have seen “hard-use” by any means. They’ve been shot in a few DMR-style competitions, seen some elements and rapid-fire, but otherwise haven’t really seen anything more than normal range time. I don’t clean them religiously because I don’t feel like I have to, but my gas systems are tuned properly and I rarely switch loads between suppressed/unsuppressed.

They haven’t failed in those conditions, but again, I’ve never really tried to make them fail. I don’t believe they would do well as a fix-all type of solution shooting with/without cans, untuned gas systems, and different loads all the time. But if you’re able to keep usage pretty consistent, I wouldn’t have any problem trusting them to work.

From my experience yes, but feel like I need to qualify that by saying that I haven’t served in any capacity and certainly wouldn’t consider myself to be a great evaluator of duty-ready or not.

I feel as though they’re a quality component that does well when used and maintained properly, but I wouldn’t pretend that mine have seen “hard-use” by any means. They’ve been shot in a few DMR-style competitions, seen some elements and rapid-fire, but otherwise haven’t really seen anything more than normal range time. I don’t clean them religiously because I don’t feel like I have to, but my gas systems are tuned properly and I rarely switch loads between suppressed/unsuppressed.

They haven’t failed in those conditions, but again, I’ve never really tried to make them fail. I don’t believe they would do well as a fix-all type of solution shooting with/without cans, untuned gas systems, and different loads all the time. But if you’re able to keep usage pretty consistent, I wouldn’t have any problem trusting them to work.
I really appreciate you sharing your experience. I think this might be perfect for my setup. Im not a "run it till it stops" guy. I keep CLP and EWL in my go bag and clean my systems every time whether I shoot 30 rounds or 300. Even if the carrier is mildly less resilient I think the decreased force from the carrier slamming around would still amount to a more reliable system. Im going to grab one. Ill post up my experience here for others

Reactions: just browsing
.....consider the methodology being used in the bootleg type of adjustment. Basically, almost ALL of the gas produced from the firing is sent down the gas tube back to the carrier, and is being metered at the gas key, restricting how much it is being allowed thru to the bolt flare/rings that will drive the bolt unlocking process and subsequent cycling. The residual gas that was produced and sent down the gas tube has to vent somewhere between the gas key and end of gas tube.....

...the adjustable gas block types meter how much of the gas produced from the firing is being allowed to enter the gas tube and sent back to the gas key, residual gas produced that didn't make it into the gas tube vents out the muzzle....

...suppressed firing is going to create "dirty" actions, basically unavoidable and requires adopting a "maintenance" routine appropriate to it. The routine can be as simple as "oil the hell out of everything because when wet it will keep working", to just pulling the BCG out and wiping the bolt body and BCG body down to remove majority of accumulation, spraying receivers out with can of brake cleaner, "wet it down with oil" and reassemble. Either would work, but not necessarily the best process to ensure reliability....

Last edited:
.....consider the methodology being used in the bootleg type of adjustment. Basically, almost ALL of the gas produced from the firing is sent down the gas tube back to the carrier, and is being metered at the gas key, restricting how much it is being allowed thru to the bolt flare/rings that will drive the bolt unlocking process and subsequent cycling. The residual gas that was produced and sent down the gas tube has to vent somewhere between the gas key and end of gas tube.....

...the adjustable gas block types meter how much of the gas produced from the firing is being allowed to enter the gas tube and sent back to the gas key, residual gas produced that didn't make it into the gas tube vents out the muzzle....
I see what you're saying. In my case I've got the Radian SD and shooting suppressed with a fixed block and regular carrier I cant say I experienced much, if any, gas to the face. I wont be able to get to the range this weekend, but definitely next weekend. I'll bring both carriers and compare. The fouling sucks, but jamming up the carrier is my major concern.
Once I break in the new barrel I might put 200 rounds through it and see if I have to adjust the settings.

I see what you're saying. In my case I've got the Radian SD and shooting suppressed with a fixed block and regular carrier I cant say I experienced much, if any, gas to the face. I wont be able to get to the range this weekend, but definitely next weekend. I'll bring both carriers and compare. The fouling sucks, but jamming up the carrier is my major concern.
Once I break in the new barrel I might put 200 rounds through it and see if I have to adjust the settings.
....the only way to gather meaningful data is to start with absolutely clean conditions for each carrier, not back to back...and the round count has to be sufficiently high enough on each carrier to generate accumulation of fouling, at least equivalent to the typically "basic" loadout of an infantryman (used to be 240 rounds, 8 30round mags).

...suppressed firing is going to create "dirty" actions, basically unavoidable and requires adopting a "maintenance" routine appropriate to it. The routine can be as simple as "oil the hell out of everything because when wet it will keep working", to just pulling the BCG out and wiping the bolt body and BCG body down to remove majority of accumulation, spraying receivers out with can of brake cleaner, "wet it down with oil" and reassemble. Either would work, but not necessarily the best process to ensure reliability....

That is not a very accurate description of how these work. Maybe you're thinking of a different system?

The Bootleg system meters in the carrier, not the gas key, and does so by bleeding off gas out the ejection port. That is the function of the half-round shaft that is rotated for adjustment. Residual gas in the gas key is minimal IF the system is well adjusted for the conditions, because unlocking time is properly delayed.

ALSO - people tend to forget or don't know that by far MOST of the fouling entering a suppressed AR receiver comes through the bore, not the gas key. This is plainly evident if you watch high speed video of the firing cycle. The way to reduce this is to delay unlocking or reduce back pressure in the suppressor.

That is not a very accurate description of how these work. Maybe you're thinking of a different system?

The Bootleg system meters in the carrier, not the gas key, and does so by bleeding off gas out the ejection port. That is the function of the half-round shaft that is rotated for adjustment. Residual gas in the gas key is minimal IF the system is well adjusted for the conditions, because unlocking time is properly delayed.

ALSO - people tend to forget or don't know that by far MOST of the fouling entering a suppressed AR receiver comes through the bore, not the gas key. This is plainly evident if you watch high speed video of the firing cycle. The way to reduce this is to delay unlocking or reduce back pressure in the suppressor.
...I stand corrected, I was thinking of the Rubber City Armory system.

Reactions: Yondering
Has anyone used one of the Bootleg adjustable carriers on a suppressed rifle in a high round count class? All of my other systems use adjustable gas blocks and they shoot amazingly well. I also keep them well-oiled and clean. Unfortunately the rifles foul quickly and its a pain to turn the gas up as the rifle gets dirty. With a fixed block, my new "go-to" build with A5H3 and Radian Raptor SD really slams the bolt carrier around with the suppressor attached. It's very pleasant unsuppressed though. Would you trust the Bootleg carrier in this role?
Get an LMT enhanced carrier (you don’t need the bolt) and a good charging handle. The gas block can be wide open and the carrier will direct the gas away from the shooter. What doesn’t get redirected will be reduced by the charging handle.

Get an LMT enhanced carrier (you don’t need the bolt) and a good charging handle. The gas block can be wide open and the carrier will direct the gas away from the shooter. What doesn’t get redirected will be reduced by the charging handle.
I had one unused for a time, but a friend begged me for it to finish an LMT build. I haven't seen one available in at least a year. Ive got the Radian SD and have no issues with gas to the face. The issue is with the force with which the BCG slams around with the can on. Its fantastic when there is no can. Im keeping an eye out for the LMT carrier and I'll grab a couple when I see them. To be frank, I seriously doubt the LMT would vent off enough gas, but I could definitely find a use for it in one of the other ARs regardless. Its very likely that I've been spoiled by shooting all of my other ARs as every one of them utilizes an adjustable gas block.
The Bootleg adjustable BCG arrived today. The selector was very difficult to adjust. I needed just the right size flathead. It seems like its loosening up a little. I took the entire unit apart and generously lubed it up and have been rotating the selector for an hour or so. As it sits now there is no way I'd be able to adjust it with a casing. Im hoping I'll be able to get out and shoot it next weekend. Im extremely excited about the possibility that this may work. The gun shoots amazingly well unsuppressed. If I could cut the slamming by 50% this would be a tremendous success. Im hoping the Razor 1-10x arrives next week. Its difficult to shoot tiny groups with the 1-4x and I don't want to borrow a scope from another rifle and then have to rezero when I return it.

I had one unused for a time, but a friend begged me for it to finish an LMT build. I haven't seen one available in at least a year. Ive got the Radian SD and have no issues with gas to the face. The issue is with the force with which the BCG slams around with the can on. Its fantastic when there is no can. Im keeping an eye out for the LMT carrier and I'll grab a couple when I see them. To be frank, I seriously doubt the LMT would vent off enough gas, but I could definitely find a use for it in one of the other ARs regardless. Its very likely that I've been spoiled by shooting all of my other ARs as every one of them utilizes an adjustable gas block.
The Bootleg adjustable BCG arrived today. The selector was very difficult to adjust. I needed just the right size flathead. It seems like its loosening up a little. I took the entire unit apart and generously lubed it up and have been rotating the selector for an hour or so. As it sits now there is no way I'd be able to adjust it with a casing. Im hoping I'll be able to get out and shoot it next weekend. Im extremely excited about the possibility that this may work. The gun shoots amazingly well unsuppressed. If I could cut the slamming by 50% this would be a tremendous success. Im hoping the Razor 1-10x arrives next week. Its difficult to shoot tiny groups with the 1-4x and I don't want to borrow a scope from another rifle and then have to rezero when I return it.
I’m not sure there’s any intent for you to be able to adjust these carriers with a casing. None of mine will do that.

I just made a small screwdriver to fit the grip cap in each rifle that needs it.

Last edited:
I’m not sure there’s any intent for you to be able to adjust these carriers with a casing. None of mine will do that.

I just made a small screwdriver to fit the grip cap in each rifle that needs it.
One of my concerns was the experiences of others having the bolt carrier not hold the settings. I had also heard experiences and watched videos of users changing the settings with a spent casing. My experience of that not being possible is a positive.
I will say that the finish on the carrier is not as smooth as the finish on the AO Precision. Its nit-picking, but it is noticeable. Additionally the bolt surface is nowhere near as smooth as the JP Enterprises enhanced bolt in the AO Precision. Thats to be expected. Ill swap the JP bolt in today before I go shooting next weekend.
I'm going to follow your lead and grind down a hex key to change the selector. The flat heads on my multi tool didn't fit the selector very well.
Getting fully into the S setting was difficult. I was concerned I was going to break something. After about 30 minutes of working through the settings it seems to be improved. So far, my initial impressions are good. If this tames the carrier with the can and allows me to swap it back to unsuppressed by changing a setting through the port door then this will be a perfect solution.

....FWIW, have seen many posts over the years that dealt with accessibility, or lack of convenience, to the gas block. I couldn't but help to think to myself that the "bling-bling" overcame the "functionality" or "utilitarian" aspects when selecting the components of the build. Granted, a few years back the options were not a great as today, but again I can't help but think that based on some "after the build" questions that some choices were compromised by those posting. Admittedly, I'm a biased user of SLR AGB's, but I've also seen them used "hard" in vids posted of SLR's .308 "pistol/SBR's" in full-auto mode, just like I've seen vids of other brands run equally hard, they are ALL viable. Handguard selections, mostly length, appeared to override the more critical function of which gas block was chosen, what I would consider a compromise to the reliable functioning of the platform. But that's just my thought, FWIW. matching handguard choice to adjustable gas block (and accessibility) and gas system length to increase functionality is possible, YMMV.

Images of 3 brands of components, BA barrel RLGS, SLR AGB's and CMT handguard. Proven (to me at least based on actual experience) components that meet my functionality requirement and also provide ready accessibility when adjustment is needed without disassembly.

...sometimes we need to avoid that urge to immediately "scratch that itch" to avoid "buyers remorse".....hard as that is at times :confused:

Attachments

• 20201113_180111.jpg
    20201113_180111.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 20201113_180948.jpg
    20201113_180948.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 20201113_183129.jpg
    20201113_183129.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 62
Very true. A handguard and gas block should be chosen to match each other, or at least modify the handguard for access.

Of course that and a hundred other little details like it are part of the difference between a quality rifle and bubba’s “DIY build”. Name brands on parts don’t make the rifle good if you ignore the rest of the details.

I completely agree. I have SLR gas blocks, Seekins select adjustable, and Aero adjustable. They all were chosen based on what I wanted the rifle to do. The seekins select is on my 300blk out so I can take off the handguard and switch the lever from suppressed to a little more gas when it gunks up. The SLR is on a 12.5" that is sometimes fired unsuppressed. The Aero is on a 16" that is only fire suppressed. I set it and there it will stay. Each time I shoot the guns with adjustable blocks I dribble some solvent in there and move the selector around a bit. Then clean them off with CLP and then some lube.
This build was intended to use a fixed pinned block from its inception. Something that if necessary could sustain full functionality with extended intervals between cleanings. Its actually this site that convinced me that my "go-to" should have a fixed pinned gas block. The ADM UIC lower was chosen since its ambi right from the start. The Vltor MUR and Geissele MK4 were chosen for their rigidity and durability. The chrome lined Criterion hybrid... same thing. To build the perfect unsuppressed shooter I went with a Vltor A5 with H3 buffer, sprinco green spring and a Radian SD since I planned to suppress it at times. The system was designed first and foremost to shoot unsuppressed. Unfortunately with my current cans its not conducive to my activities. Im having a K can built specifically for this rifle. The gas is perfect unsuppressed. If this does what others say, its the absolute perfect fit for this gun.
Im quickly getting to the point that each system has its own purpose built suppressor as well. Im not under any illusions that this carrier is a superior solution to adjustable gas blocks. In fact, I believe the opposite. In this case, however, the carrier is the perfect fit... I hope.

Last edited:
I completely agree. I have SLR gas blocks, Seekins select adjustable, and Aero adjustable. They all were chosen based on what I wanted the rifle to do. The seekins select is on my 300blk out so I can take off the handguard and switch the lever from suppressed to a little more gas when it gunks up. The SLR is on a 12.5" that is sometimes fired unsuppressed. The Aero is on a 16" that is only fire suppressed. I set it and there it will stay. Each time I shoot the guns with adjustable blocks I dribble some solvent in there and move the selector around a bit. Then clean them off with CLP and then some lube.
This build was intended to use a fixed pinned block from its inception. Something that if necessary could sustain full functionality with extended intervals between cleanings. Its actually this site that convinced me that my "go-to" should have a fixed pinned gas block. The ADM UIC lower was chosen since its ambi right from the start. The Vltor MUR and Geissele MK4 were chosen for their rigidity and durability. The chrome lined Criterion hybrid... same thing. To build the perfect unsuppressed shooter I went with a Vltor A5 with H3 buffer, sprinco green spring and a Radian SD since I planned to suppress it at times. The system was designed first and foremost to shoot unsuppressed. Unfortunately with my current cans its not conducive to my activities. Im having a K can built specifically for this rifle. The gas is perfect unsuppressed. If this does what others say, its the absolute perfect fit for this gun.
Im quickly getting to the point that each system has its own purpose built suppressor as well. Im not under any illusions that this carrier is a superior solution to adjustable gas blocks. In fact, I believe the opposite. In this case, however, the carrier is the perfect fit... I hope.

Needing to remove a handguard to adjust a gas block is a definite no-go for me. It means the handguard choice doesn’t work with that gas block. At the very least, I’d modify the handguard to let the gas block function as intended.

Big Tex has the enhanced semi carrier in stock for 150.00

I've never used the Bootleg but I have 1000's of rounds through 3 AR's with Geissele fixed gas blocks and Rubber City Adjustable Gas Key BCG's and H1 and H2 buffers depending on sbr or 16" barrel.

I will never use an AGB again and I've used them all for many years.

I can tell you that the RCA AGK BCG fixes and overgassed upper like any AGB. I actually just built and upper for a forum member @Emc_2015 with this exact setup because he was tired of his overgassed AR's. Received the upper and said damn this thing is smooth as shit, no beat to shit brass, runs great. He's shooting 100% supressed.

They use an adjustment screw, you simply turn the adjustment screw all the way down till it bottoms out (gas closed) then open 1 full turn. Takes me 5 shots or less to tune the gas, fire 1, see if it locks back, if not, pull rear take down pin, slide bcg out, turn screw 1/4 turn more, shoot another round. If it locks back, I then open it another 1/8 turn for reliability as it gets dirty then I fire 30 rounds or so in 5rd increments to ensure it locks every time. Once that's done, there is a second screw you install that locks the adjustment screw over the long haul so it doesn't ever move. Change barrels, change cans, change ammo, etc. No more worrying about carbon locked gas block screws, slide bcg out, remove lock screw, open or close gas to your new setting then reinstall lock screw. Very easy, quick and painless

I can't recommend the RCA AGK BCG enough. Lifetime warranty and one of the best coatings in the business. Wipes clean with a rag...

You can also buy their adjustable gas key separately and install on your bcg if you want. I've never done that, but they do sell it separately.

I cant tell you how many SLR gas blocks, rebuild kits and send in for rebuilds I've been through. No thanks.

Last ones I used and were the better ones were SLA

.....the RCA has an interesting take on how it manipulates gas flow, I'm not opposed to trying one out considering that the pricing is comparable to buying a standard BCG + SLR AGB. What I'm curious about is what difference, if any, where the residual gas that was in the gas tube ends up or is the amount insignificant?

...I do recognize that long-term maintenance would appear to be easier should the set screws need replacing, especially if they are a common size/thread. @padom, do you know if the set screws for the adjustability are a unique or specialized size/material?

Last edited:
.....the RCA has an interesting take on how it manipulates gas flow, I'm not opposed to trying one out considering that the pricing is comparable to buying a standard BCG + SLR AGB. What I'm curious about is what difference, if any, where the residual gas that was in the gas tube ends up or is the amount insignificant?

...I do recognize that long-term maintenance would appear to be easier should the set screws need replacing, especially if they are a common size/thread. @padom, do you know if the set screws for the adjustability are a unique or specialized size/material?

I am no sure. But I do know they give you like 10 with the bcg and they have some yellow coating on the threads similar to loctite but I'm told it's a high heat type of thread holder. It's not loctite but similar as in it keeps the screw from moving. RCA told me about it a while back when I had a long conversation with them about their Adjustable Gas Key. I have not a single complaint or a problem in 1000's of rounds. RCA is a great company and have great customer service. Give them a call.

Last edited:
I cant tell you how many SLR gas blocks, rebuild kits and send in for rebuilds I've been through. No thanks.

Last ones I used and were the better ones were SLA

what were the types of failures you witnessed with the slr blocks?

what were the types of failures you witnessed with the slr blocks?

Carbon locked adjustment screws to the point your stripping them because they arent moving. Soaking, oil, etc did nothing... I don't shoot a few rounds and throw in the safe, they all had 1000's of rounds on them...mostly the problem arises when replacing barrels and can't re-tune

Reactions: LRRPF52
yep, ive done that. what i do now if i pull one from a build for whatever reason, ill throw the slr in the sonic cleaner for a few cycles.

one of the spares i have has a lot of play on the rotational axis of the adjustment screw. if i decide to use it, im sure itll carbon lock in place though. it was on a 12.5 carbine gas suppressed 308 so that might have something to do with it lol.

yep, ive done that. what i do now if i pull one from a build for whatever reason, ill throw the slr in the sonic cleaner for a few cycles.

one of the spares i have has a lot of play on the rotational axis of the adjustment screw. if i decide to use it, im sure itll carbon lock in place though. it was on a 12.5 carbine gas suppressed 308 so that might have something to do with it lol.

I still have a few SLR's and a few SLA on a few rifles. When those barrels get replaced they will get fixed Geissele Super Gas blocks and their BCG's replaced with RCA AGK BCG's. Its just so much easier to tune and the RCA BCG is one of the nicest out there. Ive been preaching them for years with JP. RCA's H&M coating is so damn slick, hard and easy to clean. It wears so little over time...

Carbon locked adjustment screws to the point your stripping them because they arent moving. Soaking, oil, etc did nothing... I don't shoot a few rounds and throw in the safe, they all had 1000's of rounds on them...mostly the problem arises when replacing barrels and can't re-tune

....I've yet to get a carbon lock on any of my SLR's but my normal routine may be why. After a firing session I always screw the adjustment screw fully outward, inward, outward, inward a few times then back to it's setting to "auger" off any accumulated carbon. Once back home when I detail clean the platform before storage I do it again. YMMV

...I still intend to give the RCA system a whirl in the future...

Have you gone through 1000-2000rd in a shooting session then tried turning that screw?

I have zero time or desire to constantly be tuning my gas block every time I shoot and making sure it gets back to the exact spot. Safe guns that get taken out and fired a few times then taken home and torn apart and cleaned and set screws worked is a different story.

RCA adjustable gas key BCG skips all of that. Easy button

Have you gone through 1000-2000rd in a shooting session then tried turning that screw?

I have zero time or desire to constantly be tuning my gas block every time I shoot and making sure it gets back to the exact spot. Safe guns that get taken out and fired a few times then taken home and torn apart and cleaned and set screws worked is a different story.

RCA adjustable gas key BCG skips all of that. Easy button
....No, maybe in low hundreds, but your point is well made (y)

Reactions: padom
In high round suppressed guns the SLR adjustment screw becomes an expendable item. But just like a barrel the gas block also suffers from gas etching.

I figured it prudent to update this thread. After failing to function in every configuration on the unsuppressed setting, I contacted Bootleg regarding repair or replacement. Then and only then Bootleg informed me that their adjustable bolt carrier will only function with a standard carbine buffer system, standard carbine spring, and standard carbine buffer. It will not function with a Vltor A5 System regardless of buffer weight. This is not capable of performing like a mil-spec bolt carrier group. My $90 AO Precision BCG functions 100% with my Vltor A5 system with an H3 buffer. I purchased this carrier so that I could retain that capability and decrease the gas when attaching a suppressor. This system WILL NOT DO THAT. I wanted to share this so that others don't buy this $200 bolt carrier only to be told "sucks to be you" despite failing to share these specific configuration requirements ANYWHERE. Some would call this deceptive... I certainly would.

Reactions: Tbraginton
I figured it prudent to update this thread. After failing to function in every configuration on the unsuppressed setting, I contacted Bootleg regarding repair or replacement. Then and only then Bootleg informed me that their adjustable bolt carrier will only function with a standard carbine buffer system, standard carbine spring, and standard carbine buffer. It will not function with a Vltor A5 System regardless of buffer weight. This is not capable of performing like a mil-spec bolt carrier group. My $90 AO Precision BCG functions 100% with my Vltor A5 system with an H3 buffer. I purchased this carrier so that I could retain that capability and decrease the gas when attaching a suppressor. This system WILL NOT DO THAT. I wanted to share this so that others don't buy this $200 bolt carrier only to be told "sucks to be you" despite failing to share these specific configuration requirements ANYWHERE. Some would call this deceptive... I certainly would.

Yeah it sucks that you’re having issues and can’t figure it out. It’s not that complicated though- change your buffer weight.

You set up your rifle with a heavy buffer and probably are right on the edge of reliable function with a standard full auto carrier. The Bootleg carrier does leak a little more gas, just enough to cause an issue if you’ve already tuned the rifle for a standard carrier. It’s normally never an issue if you haven’t already tuned the rifle.

The solution is pretty obvious though- your buffer is too heavy. Instead of complaining, switch back to an H or C buffer. That should’ve been your very first step after it didn’t function right.

Unless you have an adjustable gas system too, then adjust that; your rifle needs either less buffer weight or more gas.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigjake83
im calling bullshit on only working with a carbine receiver setup. i had one in my rifle gas with rifle receiver extension, and a5 receiver extension with carbine gas midgas.

Yeah it sucks that you’re having issues and can’t figure it out. It’s not that complicated though- change your buffer weight.

You set up your rifle with a heavy buffer and probably are right on the edge of reliable function with a standard full auto carrier. The Bootleg carrier does leak a little more gas, just enough to cause an issue if you’ve already tuned the rifle for a standard carrier. It’s normally never an issue if you haven’t already tuned the rifle.

The solution is pretty obvious though- your buffer is too heavy. Instead of complaining, switch back to an H or C buffer. That should’ve been your very first step after it didn’t function right.

Unless you have an adjustable gas system too, then adjust that; your rifle needs either less buffer weight or more gas.
I'm very familiar with buffer weights and gas systems. I chose this BCG for a very specific purpose as I stated at the start of this thread. Apparently NO ONE knew of this prerequisite. I tried going to an H1 buffer and then an H0 buffer. The bolt carrier will not chamber a new round with ANY A5 buffer and a standard rifle spring. That is not "leak a little more gas". Thats a tremendous amount of gas. The bolt carrier does not work with the Vltor A5 System. Im not changing out buffer tube, buffer spring, and buffer to HOPE that it works in that configuration. The Vltor A5 system is superior and proven. Everything else functions exceptionally well and I've already spent $80 on new buffers trying to get this garbage to work. My point is pretty obvious so I'll spell it out. If your "adjustable bolt carrier" only works as advertised with an inferior carbine buffer tube, carbine spring, and carbine buffer weight then that should be stated.

Last edited:
im calling bullshit on only working with a carbine receiver setup. i had one in my rifle gas with rifle receiver extension, and a5 receiver extension with carbine gas midgas.
Call bullshit all you want. Ill send you the statement from the Bootleg rep. Perhaps you are confused as to what "calling bullshit" means?

Hello Troy,

The system our BCG is designed around is a carbine length gas system and both carbine buffer spring paired with a carbine buffer (3oz). So the original H3 buffer was slowing your original BCG down due to the higher mass however not dissipating the gasses coming back toward you, switching to our BCG also slows the movement but does it by exhausting gas and elevating pressure before the BCG. Therefore adding additional mass weight with the heavier buffer doubles up on this effect and can cause issues. Do you have a standard carbine buffer you can utilize in testing functionality with? Also I want to double check when you say standard rifle spring are you referring a true rifle length buffer spring and rifle buffer tube or a carbine length buffer spring?

Thank you,

Conner

Your Bootleg Inc Support Team,

Give Conner a shout. He also conveniently skipped over where I mentioned I tried an H1 and then an H0.

I'm very familiar with buffer weights and gas systems. I chose this BCG for a very specific purpose as I stated at the start of this thread. Apparently NO ONE knew of this prerequisite. I tried going to an H1 buffer and then an H0 buffer. The bolt carrier will not chamber a new round with ANY A5 buffer and a standard rifle spring. That is not "leak a little more gas". Thats a tremendous amount of gas. The bolt carrier does not work with the Vltor A5 System. Im not changing out buffer tube, buffer spring, and buffer to HOPE that it works in that configuration. The Vltor A5 system is superior and proven. Everything else functions exceptionally well and I've already spent $80 on new buffers trying to get this garbage to work. My point is pretty obvious so I'll spell it out. If your "adjustable bolt carrier" only works as advertised with an inferior carbine buffer tube, carbine spring, and carbine buffer weight then that should be stated.

Then you're doing something else wrong or missing something. There isn't a "tremendous amount of gas" difference between these and a regular carrier, and the mass is essentially the same. I can't tell what's wrong based on what you said, but something is definitely set up wrong. Maybe you're mixed up on which settings are for suppressed and unsuppressed use, I don't know - turn it clockwise until it stops and the little arrow points toward the stock.

You can make that carrier work with any buffer setup you want, if the rifle has enough gas to work with that buffer combo. I've done it myself on a number of different rifles; the only rifle that's ever had an issue is a 5.56 that won't run anything right unless it has a suppressor attached - no point in using a Bootleg carrier if your gas system is already metered down like that.

Do you also have an adjustable gas block? Or are you using a barrel with a gas port sized for suppressor use?

You can claim to be an expert in this stuff and try to blame Bootleg, but the evidence is right there in your posts that you have something set up wrong. Up to you whether to blame somebody or man up and learn what you did wrong.