• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Boots recommendation

carbinero

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2009
Free AZ
billofgrace.blogspot.com
Here are my parameters:

Under $300
Durable Vibram hiking sole, Goodyear/Norwegian welt
8-10" height
All leather (or at least up to ankle)
Uninsulated
Eyelets or speedlaces preferred, but hooks can be replaced
Made in USA preferred
Will be all-purpose use

What I have come up with is Danner Ft Lewis.

I'm not thrilled with is the Goretex, which I assume will make them hot, but I understand you can't have it all. Also I've read the heel of the insert may wear prematurely.

Perhaps Red Wings? Any other models I've missed?

Re: Boots recommendation

If you plan on actually using them, like lots of walking and occasional backpacking then raise your budget, buy German and get Lowas or Hanwags, they are head and shoulders above Danners, your feet will love you for it. After 7-8 pair of Danners I now use them only for work or light duty tasks. If riding around in the truck and short hikes are what you have in mind, Danners are fine. Depends on your feet at what point you need to upgrade.

While made in the USA is good for most things, Italian made boots are a step and bound better. German boots are good too but I find their last does not fit neutral.

Look at LaSportiva line that has their Makalu last;
Makalu
Glacier
Karakoram

On Ft Lewis boots. These were our issued boots for active duty in Alaska. We barely got 3 months use out of them; sole wore flat and leather in the toe wore through. They have a very tall post that means less stability to the foot and ankle, and their heel counter is short and small. I understand they get lots of love but there are way better boots for slightly more coin. Until you try an Italian handcrafted leather boot, its hard to understand just how much better they are and how much longer they last.

Good luck

Ft. Lewis boots are very much on my "do not recomend" list. We were issued them when I first transferred up here. I found them to be uncomfortable at best with poor traction in winter conditions. Also we had a real problem with the soles cracking in cold temps. Not exactly a selling feature up here, but maybe not an issue where you're at since you're worried about gortex being too hot...
wink.gif

When I was living down in the lower 48 I had good experiances with Redwings. Also I had a pair of Cabelas 9" outfitter series boots that stood up to more abuse than I would ever have believed...

agree that made in usa is not best for boots . meindle boots have replaced all my danners .

Thanks for the great advice. Are there any Italian or German models which have "normal" Vibram soles that I can have resoled locally, or would I have to send pretty much any of them to the factory? I am starting to realize I may have to spend a little over $300, unless I get those Meindles from Cabelas. The Lowa Elites look darn close to what I need, for the temp. Are there any other brands/models comparable to that? I think those mountaineering boots would bake the dogs in the 100 degree desert. The quandry is that I do a lot of rocks and cross-slope, where a soft sole is obviously hazardous. I had a premonition, but now I feel like it makes sense not to spend any more time contemplating Danners or Red Wings. Thanks...I will keep an eye on more input...and a very Merry Christmas!

I have a pair of Lowa Seekers(disc.) which are similar in appearance to the Elites. The Seekers are definetly not of the quality of Lowa Hunters, Tibets or Rangers. The Seekers were made in Slovakia, so beware of that. The new 10" Rangers might be what your looking for if you can live with the gore-tex.

Check out Irish Setter by Red Wing.
If you get them at Bass Pro and you do not like them after wearing them they will take them back.
I bought a pair and love them but it is nice to know they stand behind there product.
Just in case..
just my 2 cents

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: carbinero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the great advice. Are there any Italian or German models which have "normal" Vibram soles that I can have resoled locally, or would I have to send pretty much any of them to the factory? I am starting to realize I may have to spend a little over $300, unless I get those Meindles from Cabelas. The Lowa Elites look darn close to what I need, for the temp. Are there any other brands/models comparable to that? I think those mountaineering boots would bake the dogs in the 100 degree desert. The quandry is that I do a lot of rocks and cross-slope, where a soft sole is obviously hazardous. I had a premonition, but now I feel like it makes sense not to spend any more time contemplating Danners or Red Wings. Thanks...I will keep an eye on more input...and a very Merry Christmas! </div></div>

Vibram rubber soles come in different hardness' depending on the dot, yellow dot is the most versatile. Blue is soft, red is hard and these days Vibram has many rubber compounds and proprietary soles for boot makers. On rocks, a soft sole will give more traction than a hard sole but will wear quicker. Very hard soles are for concrete wear, not much need for traction but will wear a long time.

There are several quality cobblers who can resole any boot and some have a list of different soles/rubber you can change too. Dave Page is who I used and recommend.

Saying Ft Lewis boots will work in your AO yet saying mountaineering boots are too warm is odd to me. A friend of mine in Tucson wears LaSportiva Makalus year round working on a cactus farm and hiking in the desert and hills there.

Lowa Elites...what type of foot do you have? Lowa's fit best on a narrow low volume foot as do most German boots. Do your toes go big toe longest and get shorter as you get to your pinky toe? Do you have long toes? Do you have pronounced metatarsal joints? Short arch length? These are common questions I asked for working up a boot fitting profile in my shop. Common foot description for Lowa, if you have metatarsal bumps, German boots may not be for you.

The most common boot fitting mistake is...buying a boot too big because the last does not fit your foot. I have a wide, short toe, toes all the same length, short arch length, met bump but since Lowa are recommended as the best I will go buy Lowa. I wear a 44 but this 44.5 feels good and this 45 feels even better.

This was my shops specialty and mine too, boot fitting and we did custom fitting too. I did a lot boot testing for many companies too. While others take rifles and accuracy to extremes I took outdoor gear and boots to my forte of knowledge....kind of my job working in gear shop and being a guide.

Good luck

Thanks again. Learning much. I think my hope for cooler boots is fallacious. Also the desire to stick with traditional-looking stitched-on Vibrams. Much more important is the fit, protection, durability, and traction. It would also be great if my next pair didn't wear through the back of the heel as all of my others, and as I read is typical with Danners.

I will pay attn to Lowa's fit, since I don't know any shop locally which knows those fit issues (last, arch, toes, etc.) Or perhaps I'll have to ask for "the guy who knows" and when he's in. The Lowa Elites are the only model I've seen locally which fit the criteria...other than loggers/Red Wings and Danners. I looked at the Sportiva website, and anything uninsulated looks like 6.5" whereas I can't compromise on shorter than 8...so Meindl is out, too. I also really need to keep the price down to $300. Perhaps instead of a pilgrimage to Cabela's, I will google the best backpacking shop in Phoenix. More info appreciated!

Most online sources will let you return them if you don't get them dirty or scuff them so you'll only be out the return shipping cost, some even pay the return shipping. The only US source for Meindls is Cabelas, unless it's changed recently. Kennetrek and Zamberlan (both Italian) make 10" uninsulated mountain boots.

I've had good luck buying from Bakers in Eugene OR. Good prices and customer service, they actually have people who know what they are doing. Bakers

Heed 45.308s advice about fitting, nothing worse than expensive boots that don't fit.

Family business here in USA-exceptional boots made to last:
http://www.limmerboot.com/
Cabelas have nothing like Limmer.
All leather, made from single piece of leather; leather lined. Made by Meindl in Germany if memory serves me right. Break-in is necessary. Light-weight model is plenty heavy. Standard model is heavy.

If I were to order high end boots, how can I make sure I get fitted properly?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: carbinero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks again. Learning much. I think my hope for cooler boots is fallacious. Also the desire to stick with traditional-looking stitched-on Vibrams. Much more important is the fit, protection, durability, and traction. It would also be great if my next pair didn't wear through the back of the heel as all of my others, and as I read is typical with Danners.

I will pay attn to Lowa's fit, since I don't know any shop locally which knows those fit issues (last, arch, toes, etc.) Or perhaps I'll have to ask for "the guy who knows" and when he's in. The Lowa Elites are the only model I've seen locally which fit the criteria...other than loggers/Red Wings and Danners. I looked at the Sportiva website, and anything uninsulated looks like 6.5" whereas I can't compromise on shorter than 8...so Meindl is out, too. I also really need to keep the price down to $300. Perhaps instead of a pilgrimage to Cabela's, I will google the best backpacking shop in Phoenix. More info appreciated! </div></div>

Still have REI? They are not knowledgeable at all but you can get to see some variety and try a few on.

Summit Hut in Tuscon, not sure what they are like anymore. I guy named Jim there I do believe is his name, is pretty good but its been years since I talked to him.

I had a friend there who worked at a shop but cannot remember its name, I think it was on Camelback or something. Dan I think was the name of the owner.

8" is tall, is this a mandate from employer or something? You might look at lineman boots, stitched welt, all leather, the pronounced heel for spikes could be an issue though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81STFACP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">45.308,

If I were to order high end boots, how can I make sure I get fitted properly? </div></div>

What my shop did, we asked for an outline of your feet. Stand on flat surface full body weight on foot on paper, trace an outline of your both feet. Now measure the length and width at the longest and widest part as the actual size can be shrunk when faxed or emailed. The outline gave me an indication of what foot type, the measurement would allow a few tricks to get your foot size. Add all info about what type foot you have. What socks you wear. Send it with name and contact usually by phone as live talk is best. I would use some tricks and had a 95% rate of fit. Also, I did custom fitting but this is off the charts for trying to explain but involved a boot press, fitting aids, tricks on lacing, cutting. At the time, I had boots sent to me bought from all over to have them fit but had to stop, could not keep up and custom boot fitting does void warranty unless boot bought from me.

Very few boot fitting shops these days. Its all sell to the mass, not personal service. You have to understand how each company last is made and how that pertains to someones foot. But,

LaSportiva Makalu last is very neutral.

Scarpa is high volume high heel counter.

Vasque is all over depending, all the boots I tested had major quality issues, their Velocity running trail shoe is the very best out there though.

Kayland is low volume but real close to LaSportiva.

Lowa is low volume small hell counter.

Soloman is all over too but generally a high volume wide foot.

Thank you for your time, I will PM you when I get to the house. I would like to call you directly and talk about intended use and options.

I bought a pair of Kenetreks Mountain Extremes NI @ Bakers in Eugene Oregon. One of the best fitting boots Ive ever had. I always worn Danners before but to me they blow danners away. The soles wear a lot faster I noticed but not a big deal I can have them resoled. The comfort is very much worth it. Just my .2 cents

Kc

Check out Georgia Boots. I bought a pair 6 years ago and have worked in them damn near every day since. No problems what so ever, they are very comfortable, and I believe they have a lifetime warranty. Highly recommend them.

They make alot of different models, maybe one will suit your needs.

http://www.georgiaboot.com/

Thanks all, especially 45.308. I even created an excel spreadsheet with the above brand and models to try to make sense of the options. Being able to try them on is such an important issue, of course. So ultimately I have re-thought all of my criteria, and the 8"+ height narrows the choices dramatically, as well as increasing the price. So I will return to wearing gaiters. This will also negate my need to swap the hooks. At this point I believe it will be Scarpa M3s which will continue the over-warm trade-off for the protection in cross grade scree, which is mandatory. Still open to suggestion, tho!

Lots of good boots out there. Been wearing Scarpa SLM3's for the last 12yrs for hunting, hiking....

Excellent, well made all leather boot.

My local shop also carries Lowa, so it'll be the Scarpa vs. Banff, with the Baniff if I still want to pay an extra $50 for 1" taller. Here's an interesting photo spread I found: http://www.pbase.com/onespeed/backpacking_boots_20081119

The Lowa should be cooler, due to glove leather lining, whereas the Scarpa is Cambrelle fabric. Also, the Lowa may be more comfortable and the Scarpa stiffer. I am leary about the leather lining, however...I think that would involve close attention to care, since I'm in the extreme dry. Hopefully they can get both in my size at the same time!

Check out these guys. Just got my first pair. They are a little more expensive than what you are looking for and take awhile to get them as they are custom boots. I like mine a lot so far and by judging by the website I will probably have them forever.

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/index.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: carbinero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My local shop also carries Lowa, so it'll be the Scarpa vs. Banff, with the Baniff if I still want to pay an extra $50 for 1" taller. Here's an interesting photo spread I found: http://www.pbase.com/onespeed/backpacking_boots_20081119

The Lowa should be cooler, due to glove leather lining, whereas the Scarpa is Cambrelle fabric. Also, the Lowa may be more comfortable and the Scarpa stiffer. I am leary about the leather lining, however...I think that would involve close attention to care, since I'm in the extreme dry. Hopefully they can get both in my size at the same time! </div></div>

Depends on the terrain/incline you'll be hunting on. From the picture comparison, I would not get the Lowa's because of how far the laces don't go to the toe of the boot compared to the Scarpa's. When hiking/climbing 14'ers here in Colorado, I tighten the "toe-box" on the descent to keep my foot from sliding forward and jamming my toes into the front of the boot. Do the opposite on the way up, loosen the toe-box, snug up ankle/heal.

If you can, when trying on the boots. Walk up and down an incline, see if you can get your toes to jam.

Irish Setter used to be good boots, now they're made in china. Some of the Redwing work boots are US made.

i like the pair i have more than any pair of boots i have ever owned and they are standing up better than any others i have tried as well

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinU</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>
Depends on the terrain/incline you'll be hunting on. From the picture comparison, I would not get the Lowa's because of how far the laces don't go to the toe of the boot compared to the Scarpa's. When hiking/climbing 14'ers here in Colorado, I tighten the "toe-box" on the descent to keep my foot from sliding forward and jamming my toes into the front of the boot. Do the opposite on the way up, loosen the toe-box, snug up ankle/heal.
If you can, when trying on the boots. Walk up and down an incline, see if you can get your toes to jam. [/quote]

Agreed 100%. I'm in the rocks and cross slope and scree so much I now understand why my original idea of Danner Ft Lewis would not work, let alone anything softer, and I do prefer lace-to-toe. I checked out Lowa Banff, Baniff and Scarpa M3s last night. I also like returning to smooth leather for ease of care. I picked up a flyer on how to lace differently for what you said, and they have incline and rocky displays to test on. What may be my last step is to get fitted when my feet are tired, and decide between 44W and 44.5...or maybe a 44.5W. I think the reason many people get turned off initially by Scarpas is that they mark 44 as size 10.5 and 44.5 as size 11. This is not how many other common boots are marked, so Scarpa's are considered tight.

Just FYI I picked up the Scarpas in 44.5w. Just a tiny bit loose in one heel with one pair of socks, but with 2 pair, they're perfect. They feel like they'll be about as warm as my Chinese Montrail Goretex pair, so that's O.K. considering the vastly superior bits and construction. Slid in Orange Superfeet. Thanks for the education.

Anyone ever have Zamberlan Hunter Tech field boots? Thinking about getting a pair & just looking for input. Thanks.

Thank you so much for all your help on sizing and what to look for and recommendation. I will give the Italian made Kenetrek a try.

Try Kennetrek Hardscrabbles or Hardscrabble light. Italian made, great boot, meets every request you have, no gore-tex but waterproof. Company is local to Bozeman and will resole or repair at any time. I love mine. Can't go wrong.
Lee

X2 on the Kenetrek boots. Have the Mt. xtr. and they are great boots. Price made me think about the purchase a hundred times, but when i put them on the first time i knew i made the correct choice. Have 6 diffrent pairs of danners and none of them fit like these boots fit. Don't get me wrong i put the danners on everyday for work but when heading to the hills out come them Kenetreks.

Go buy some whites in whatever flavor you want, you wont regret it and they can be rebuilt many many a time.

I am done with boots. Unless it's the rainy season, I hunt in lightweight running shoes. "Ankle support" is annoying- I'd rather have the flexibility of the ankle and the ability to move silently. This year I'm going to try the vibram 5-finger shoes for hunting. I've been running barefoot for over a year and my legs and feet have never felt better (used to have shin splints since my Army days.) Many people are getting back to running the way are feet were meant to run- lots of barefoot runners at the few 5k runs I've done. It's not just for hippies anymore.

Bought my first pair of Asolo's in about 85......two weeks later they went 65 miles backpackin in NM. Never needed broken in....in 99 I found LaSportiva.....same and more comfortable....I can still wear my three pair of Asolo's ....but I now own like 8 pair of La Sportiva....hands down you will love them for anything you do. Pick the boot to the task. Time of year, light, med, heavy duty....

I bought Ft Lewis' while serving....they were nice but were hot, need to buy them a size up so you can put footbeds into them hands down, still will be DAMN HOT.

I would buy Itallian and never look back.

What size are you looking for?

Look here: http://www.magnumbootshop.com/
I have a pair of these , and I love them. The guy running the place knows what he his talking about, and will help you anyway he can.

-Under $300
Durable Vibram hiking sole, Goodyear/Norwegian welt
8-10" height
All leather (or at least up to ankle)
Uninsulated
Eyelets or speedlaces preferred, but hooks can be replaced
Made in USA preferred
Will be all-purpose use-

maybe something like these would work?

If you are planning on doing a lot of hiking in mountains and alike, then you might look primarily mountaineering boots. I would buy the HanWag as my first choice but here are a few options.

Lowa
Zamberlan
HanWag
Meindl (I was told to buy Meindl not Cabelas Meindl, I bought the Cabelas version and have been very happy with them)
Kenetrek
Scarpa

All of these will outlast the Ft. Lewis hands down! Plus better ankle support. Just my experience. White's also make some awesome boots that are the same style as the Ft Lewis, the outdoorsman or the explorer.

La Sportiva's are great boots. My personal favorites are my Zamberlan Steep 760's... If you can get over the color, they are like wearing slippers and offer great support and traction. The Zamberlan Vioz GT's are great boots as well. All italian made!

My 2 cents. Browning Kangaroo Featherweights or the Cabelas copy. I have to love a boot I can't buy in CA because of the bunny huggers.

I have some advice on this topic. Get a fine boot. Break them in before using them on a serious outing. Then, on that serious outing, think about someting OTHER than your foot pain and your stupid boots; it is too late. Therefore, don't pay so much attention to them in the first place unless your hiking or climbing in life-threatening climates.

Here is why I know this. When I was 19, a roughneck offshore, I suffered a traumatic amputation of the metatarsal phalangeals - nearly 1/3 - of the right foot. Consequently, my experience as an outdoorsman has taught me to cope with discomfort. Hunting and hiking in all sorts of terrain causes pain sometimes. I've learned to think about something else when I can't do anything about the pain in my right foot. So that's my friendly advice. I'm 48 now have never stopped being very physically active.

Get the best pair of boots you can afford, then think about something else.