• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Boot's, What are you guys wearing?

Re: Boot's, What are you guys wearing?

merrell chameleon 3 stretch and ventillator mids gortex
asolo fugitive boots. had those out in theater and they're byfar the best boots i've owned and wore the crap out of. the stretch is a great all around hiking shoe, and the ventillator just sits a bit high. (mid rise)

Thanks for all the great responses, gives some really good options.
Just don't want to have to wear the heavy Rocky's I used to wear pipelining, though I did used to hump all day long over some shit terrain in Western Okla. and Kansas. Plus it's a good excuse for some new gear.
Thanks,
Eric

The Danner line is second to none.... I own 3 pairs now... have wore out 2 pair...
GREAT customer service.....
bill larson

For the guys with the UA Valsetz, how do they run for size? Right on or should you get a half size bigger or smaller? How about width?

I am going to need a new pair soon and was going to get another set of Converse but the USs look pretty nice.

I just bought OTB a couple weeks ago and love them. very comfortable.

Picked up a pair of Herman Survivors "Commander" boots the other day. They lace up, and have a really heavy duty side zipper for rapid on-off. Good traction, and really comfortable. They are waterproof and run around $60. Local Mil-surp store had them.

Re: Boot's, What are you guy's wearing?

meindls, Desert Fox, kampfstiefel and Eagles. Good balance of comfort and durability. I find most boots down the "soft" end of the range, although comfortable dont last more than a couple of weeks fieldtime.

17fxbr.jpg

I wear Danners USAF temperate boots. Well built, and comes in that oh so rare XX width.

I'm prepping for a 30+ mile adventure race this summer in UT so I have been in my boots a lot recently. Lightweight boots are extremely important if you are moving long distances (something like 1 lb on your feet = 5 lbs on your back). Anyway, I love my Asolo Moran GTX's:

http://www.backcountry.com/asolo-moran-gtx-hiking-boot-mens

Expensive, yes, but so worth it if you are in them a lot. These are kinda like Schmidt und Bender scopes - you use them and you can never go back to lesser products
smile.gif

Also, the sock that you wear under the boot can be as important as the boot, again if you are going long distances. I can recommend Fox River's military line here:

http://www.foxsox.com/Catalog/search.aspx?type=subcategory&code=MBOOT

Silky smooth and great wicking, a combo that is very good at keeping blisters away. Keep a back-up pair in your pack and swap them right before going down big hills/mountains (descending absolutely kills your feet and will start a blister like nothing else).

I have been wearing Blackhawk Warrior Wear Light Assault Boots everyday for work (LEO) here in Texas and love them. The only down side is on rainy days my feet may get wet but I just switch them out for another pair of boots I have in the closet on those days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MP15</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Used to wear Danners because my work provided them, but I found that I'd walk the soles to falling off within 9 months. Have since switched to Belleville boots - http://www.bellevilleshoe.com/

The soles were developed on the lava fields in Hawaii for the military. These boots are comfortable, and they wear like iron. Luckily, work buys these too. They come in XX-Wide also.

In Danners I wore a 10.5 wide. The Belleville's a 10 wide fits perfect. </div></div>

Would you call their XX-wide same as 4E wide? 2E wide?

-Steve

I have worn the Garmont T8 boots for the last 5 years and love them. Most of the guys in my unit are split on either these or the nikes.

Also, if you are looking for a summer weight boot, don't go with the Danner Combat Hikers, they are like wearing a furnace on your feet.

Converse. I my weight training, hike, and run in them every day. To me more comfortable and supportive than sneakers.

For high altitude mountain back packing I have a pair of <span style="font-weight: bold">Zamberlin Vois GT</span>. They're on the heavy side but not too bad at least for me. Good support, Good grip and on fairly slick surfaces too. Fairly warm/hot. Pretty much water proof. For ground boots and in desert treks, <span style="font-weight: bold">Red Wing model 2156 Hiker</span>. Possibly better boots for heat available, but gives me better support than most other boots I've tried for daily use including moderate desert treks. <span style="font-weight: bold">Westco Highliner style 9716</span> for when I climb power poles. Hot all the time, made to climp poles and trees. Not made to walk too much. All these boots I oil. I don't think any one boot can service every climate and use contitions.

Merrell Refuge and or Meindl for serious hiking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had a pair of Oakley LSA's for about five months now and they are by far the lightest boot I have ever worn. I have shoes that weigh more. They are not the greatest for carrying a load for miles and miles but for class's comp's and light hunting trips they are great. They do suck in the cold, in January I would just about get frostbite going from the truck to the front door. </div></div>
Like the Oakley's as well. Although swapped out the factory insole with your fav "gel" of choice. Can also get better pricing on them via usstandardissue.com IF you qualify for the pricing.

What do you Converse guys think of the Veloitys vs the military with the composite toe?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm prepping for a 30+ mile adventure race this summer in UT so I have been in my boots a lot recently. Lightweight boots are extremely important if you are moving long distances (something like 1 lb on your feet = 5 lbs on your back). Anyway, I love my Asolo Moran GTX's:

Expensive, yes, but so worth it if you are in them a lot. These are kinda like Schmidt und Bender scopes - you use them and you can never go back to lesser products
smile.gif

Also, the sock that you wear under the boot can be as important as the boot, again if you are going long distances. I can recommend Fox River's military line here:

Silky smooth and great wicking, a combo that is very good at keeping blisters away. Keep a back-up pair in your pack and swap them right before going down big hills/mountains (descending absolutely kills your feet and will start a blister like nothing else).

</div></div>

Sage advise.

Ive heard nothing but the best about Asolo's. Actually, all things considered, theyre not really that bad price wise.

Hell, Ive spent twice as much on boots that are no where near as functional.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lofty</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm prepping for a 30+ mile adventure race this summer in UT so I have been in my boots a lot recently. Lightweight boots are extremely important if you are moving long distances (something like 1 lb on your feet = 5 lbs on your back). Anyway, I love my Asolo Moran GTX's:

smile.gif

</div></div>

Sage advise.

Ive heard nothing but the best about Asolo's. Actually, all things considered, theyre not really that bad price wise.

Hell, Ive spent twice as much on boots that are no where near as functional. </div></div>

Excellent points, guys.

I needed a real pair of boots for Mammoth this year. I've never had a real pair. I went to REI, and ended up with a pair of <span style="font-weight: bold">Asolo FSN 95 GTX</span>, as well as foot liner socks, and actual socks.

Paying retail price as well worth the money - the girl at REI had me try on a dozen combinations of boots and socks, and after a week of easy break-in, had ZERO foot troubles at Mammoth.

The Asolos are warm enough down to 30° for me, and 75° has been no trouble.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiskeyWebber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just ordered some Limmer Ultra Lights today. Carl Limmer has been great to deal with. </div></div>

Got my Limmer boots today and they are awesome. 100% leather and one single piece of leather for the upper. I'm thinking this pair will be with me for a while...

Surprised I haven't seen any other Limmer love in this thread.

Going old school here. Back in the day not too much before the dates you were in and until a few years ago I wore the old green Army jungle boot.It was the best most comfortable boot made for what you want.

With that being said being a little older now I wear Danners exclusively

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: leprechaun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Going old school here. Back in the day not too much before the dates you were in and until a few years ago I wore the old green Army jungle boot.It was the best most comfortable boot made for what you want.

With that being said being a little older now I wear Danners exclusively </div></div>
Yeah, I had a pair of Welco issue jungles for what seemed like forever.They were great,just plain wore out.Put a bunch of miles on them though.

Under Armour speed freaks in Multicam when I need water proof boots.

5.11 6" Taclite coyote boots from most day.

Converse stealth side zip 8" for running and gunning, 6" for everyday.
Im a side zip ONLY guy now, havent laced a boot up since wearing a pair off these several years ago.
I now buy 2 pairs at a time whenever i find on sale, usually from these guys: http://www.desert-gear.com/converseboots.html?gclid=CLCmlInLkbACFYcZQgoddy8mpQ

They are light, fast, insanely comfortable, breathable and you can get em in waterproof if needed.

Th only negative is they tend to run a bit wide, so if you have narrow feet, adding gel inserts will be needed.

I've been using Danner TFX rough out suede. Great boots hot or cold. Work provides 511 and Bellville but still prefer the Danner. Bought a pair of Blackhawk Warrior desert ops boots. Extremely comfortable but the seems started to wear out after 6 months. The Converse and Under Armour are also very popular with the guys.

Magnum's for work.

USMC RAT off shift and a pair of Blackhawk Warrior Wear stay in the back of my truck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kalyand.
http://us.kayland.com/details.php?id=194

BTW - Boot's = Boot is. 'Boots' is the plural. Guy's = guy is. 'Guys' is the plural.

Sniper's Hide = The Hide of one Sniper. Snipers Hide = Hiding Snipers.

[Brought to you by the society for preservation of the apostrophe http://www.apostrophe.org.uk/ ]
wink.gif
</div></div>

HA! Too funny!!

Lundhags Syncro High. Sweedish handmade boots, tough as hell, and gives a lot of support in rough terrain with heavy loads. No gore-tex, so they require some love to keep you dry, but will last for ages.

12023_11.jpg

or when its light terrain and no heavy backpack i use some norwegian army boots, M77. They are soft and very light, but lack the support.
M77_marsjst%C3%B8vel_430x300.jpg

i just got a set of tactical research tr555 rangerunners from bellville and i really like them so far. pretty light and seem very well built.

Lowa Zeyphers. I have not put hundreds of hours on them yet but they have been wore on a couple 15+ hour hikes and daily duties on farm during weekends for past 6 months. The break in did not take long at all, maybe a few 30 minute walks. They breathe extremely well, not making my feet overheat. The fit is comfortable, I wish they were just a tad wider when wearing medium or heavy smartwool socks. Size is true to what I normally wear.