• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bought myself a new "trainer" today... Anschutz 1827 (54 action repeater!)

I logged in to say I have your same tastes but not your bank account lol, great rifle and again my list was added to thanks to this site. only thing better imo would be a folder stock haha

Only seen the fortners at one place and their site says to call to order , need another job, again.

Last edited:
So, now that it is determined that the gun shoots but it's ergonomics are off for my purposes, the question remains- bastardize this rifle that is rare and has history, or buy another rifle closer suited to what I need?

The way I figure it, I can buy a blank (un-inletted) Manners T4 or McMillan A5, and have tbis barreled action bedded in. Then I'll have a more accurate "trainer" with weight and ergonomics closer to my centerfire rifles.

OR, I can buy a 54.18 MSR (preferably with a McMillan thumbhole silhouette stock already) and have a gun with a closer approximation to what I'm looking for in terms of weight and ergos.

Thoughts?

So, now that it is determined that the gun shoots but it's ergonomics are off for my purposes, the question remains- bastardize this rifle that is rare and has history, or buy another rifle closer suited to what I need?

The way I figure it, I can buy a blank (un-inletted) Manners T4 or McMillan A5, and have tbis barreled action bedded in. Then I'll have a more accurate "trainer" with weight and ergonomics closer to my centerfire rifles.

OR, I can buy a 54.18 MSR (preferably with a McMillan thumbhole silhouette stock already) and have a gun with a closer approximation to what I'm looking for in terms of weight and ergos.

Thoughts?

For me it would depend on what I had in the gun..... 54-18s are rare and sell for top dollar... My thought is buy a 1712 barreled action and put it in the stock of your choice and come away with <2k in a really nice shooter.

975 for a 1712 action and a 2 stage trigger down to 2 ish pounds, now are you getting it threaded? I would hate to touch a barrel so accurate.

Jbell did some legwork for me and neither the McMillan A-series or the Manners T-series will really work. I've seen it done on DTros's rifle, but that was it, and I'd hate to get into this with a blank etc only to find out it won't work. So if I can settle a deal on the 54.18 MSR in a McMillan thumbhole, I'll go that route. Whichever barreled action shoots better I'll keep with the McMillan stock, and sell the less accurate one to jbell. Just kidding, jbell.

This is what McMillan and Manners told me. However Manners did say that the T4A Nighthawk would work as a blank but you would have to build the tang up some.