• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Bow fishing gear???

SNOW

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2003
Jackson, MS
It's been many years since I have been. Now that my 9 y/o is old enough to mess around with a bow he's interested. The equip I used looks A LOT like the same stuff I can buy locally.

My question is what is good equip for a guy to get into without spending a fortune???

If anyone has a bow rigged or misc equip they want to get rid of let me know what you have and a price.

Thanks!

Chris

Re: Bow fishing gear???

Chris, been at it for 55 years! God I'm old! Find him a good recurve he can handle, dig up one of the old Bear open faced reels, put some 100 lb braided line on it and get the normal solid fiberglass fishing arrows with the folding heads.
All the modern stuff is breakage prone and just more gimmicky crap.
Hardest thing to learn is to stand up in a canoe and compensate for water deflection angles. I fed a lot of migrants with carp back in the day on Sodus Bay NY. Biggest I got was 60 lb but a friend got a 100+ female once (we put three arrows in it to subdue it.
Fed a lot of apple pickers!

Re: Bow fishing gear???

look on sullysbowfishing.com

I like the Oneida Osprey but its heavy and expensive. I like a recurve, but fished with a browning barracuda more than anything. The reels are pretty much a personal preference you will have to figure out for yourself. I would get a slide on the arrow. good luck!!