• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Bowhunters! Favorite Fixed Broadhead

Night Hunter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2011
Cullman, AL
Ok folks, I am going back to fixed blade broadheads this year. Since there is NO SUCH THING as a perfectly tuned bow, and fixed blade broadheads have their issues in flight. I know fixed heads will have to be played with to get my desired results.

So what is your favorite fixed blade head.

I don't need the newbie spill, I have been bowhunting for 15 years and killed plenty of deer with archery equipment, just not fixed blade heads. I just want to stay away from heads that seem to have recurring issues in flight.

Thnx!

NH

Re: Bowhunters! Favorite Fixed Broadhead

4 blade magnus buzzcuts
slick trick
3 blade muzzy
thunder head
etc...

All are proven in durability and flight with the edge to magnus w/ a lifetime guarantee

All my friends have went through the rage, grim reaper, & bloodrunner faze. Most have started shooting magnus now and love them. You tune your bow to get feild point and BH's hitting same POI you are tuned and they will fly like a lazer.

i have gotten good results with the g5 montec. from crows to black bear.

also, pick up the g5 arrow squaring device! it works wonders and i group like im shooting a field tip.

I have slick tricks now and they fly pretty well. I think the montec or the stryker may be my next try.

I am partial to magnus stinger broadheads. They have a lifetime waranty, fly good for me, have excellent penetration, can be resharpened and the price isn't bad. I have also used Muzzy 3 blade (forget the specific model) and liked them, but like the magnus a little better.

Ive been shooting G5 Strykers for a couple of years and love them. I like the fact that I can swap the blades instead of sharpening and they have performed perfectly on all of the deer that I have shot with them. I guess I got lucky because they shoot just like fieldtips with my setup, with no tuning.

I would suggest:

Slick Tricks
Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts
G5 Montec

I personally shoot Grim Reaper 85gr. Razortips and Slick Trick Standard 85gr.

Montec

They penetrate well and are easy to sharpen. I've been using the same set for 3 years

G5 Montecs without question. I used 125gr.Thunderheads for over 20 yrs. until I had to go to a crossbow. But I could never get them to fly the same ever time, from the crossbow. I then went to an open on impact, whose brand I won't mention to keep from ruffling any feathers, because I was told they would fly to the same POA as field points. They did shoot well, BUT are easily destroyed on impact. After a bad experience with the first deer I shot with the OOI heads, I went to the bow shop looking for a fixed blade that would fly out of the crossbow. Charlie told me about the G5's, saying that if they didn't fly right, to bring them back for a full refund. After hitting a postage stamp sized target with all three heads @ 40 yds. I was sold. My experience with them has been nothing but positive. I highly recommend them.

Slick trick 100 grain 1 1/8 cut are my favorite.

Montecs are good but can be hard to tune and sharpen. The new CS can get scary sharp but will rust. Some of the older montecs actually made a whistling sound when going downrange. I like magnus lifetime guarantee. Lots of good options.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wes_Mantooth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Magnus 2 blade 100gr. </div></div>

Nice to see this! I used them for quite a few years and killed elk with them. I get "the look" from some guys I shoot with now, because according to them they seem too old school. They worked great for me. I shot one bull, double lung, arrow went between the ribs in and out. The bull jumped like he'd been stung by a bee, took ten steps, stood there for what seemed like 10 minutes, even though it was more like 1-2minutes and he piled up. Good affordable head in my book.

100 grain montec g5 that are i solid pieces and are suppose to fly as close to a field tip as possible, i cant tell you have many deer i have killed with them and never had em run more than 40 yards

I have had great results with the slick trick 100 1-1/8". Admittantly I haven't tried all of them but with the results they have given I doubt I'll be switching any time soon.

Thunderhead 125's fill my freezer annually.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wes_Mantooth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Magnus 2 blade 100gr. </div></div>

What he said. without question

Can not go wrong with Muzzy 100 grain 3 blades they are great penetrating heads and very stable flying head.

Never had an issue...I was using them before I had to go try the mechanical broadhead world, and I am going back to them since I am not a fan of the mechanicals. just my opinion.

85gr Thunderhead, flies like a field point with little to no windplaning.

Have one that has taken multiple deer & coyotes. Still one my "first-out" arrow in my quiver.

Magnus stinger 100's
G5 Montac 100's

Same point of aim, point of impact as my field tips from my Parker.

Two blade magnus. Easy to re-sharpen and use.

Tried the new Slick Trick Grizzly and getting great groups at 50 yards. I will more than likely stick with this head this year. I will continue to shoot them for a few more days and see how well they hold up to repeat shooting into targets.

I used mechanical for one season before switching to G5 125gr Striker Magnums.

I don't know if I'll ever switch. My first shot at big game was at a 67m doe and it punched threw both sides and stuck in the ground.
Second shot was at an antelope that punched through both shoulder blades at 20m.

I like the weight and they have always seemed to fly true. They do drop more than 125gr field points, but I'm ok with that. I practice with them anyway.

There can be only one as far as I am concerned... 100gr Muzzy MX4!!

Destruction of the bone... simply amazing!! And the head was unharmed.

DK

For mechanicals that really work and fly well = Grim Reaper Razortips

For fixed heads that really work and fly well = Muzzy 100 grain 4 blade

I have killed more critters with Muzzys than any other head, but have been shooting the Grim Reaper mechs since 2007 without a single issue of any sort.

I have been archery hunting for about 32 years now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Whoshotya</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thunderhead 125's fill my freezer annually. </div></div> What he said. Muzzy's work good too. Alot of my buddies say the G5 is a real good head also.

100 grain 4 blade muzzy without a doubt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wfjames22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive been shooting G5 Strykers for a couple of years and love them. I like the fact that I can swap the blades instead of sharpening and they have performed perfectly on all of the deer that I have shot with them. I guess I got lucky because they shoot just like fieldtips with my setup, with no tuning. </div></div>

G5 Strykers have done this for me as well. I am giving the new T3's. Test drive this year.

Montec G5's in 100 grains.

I'm wanting to the G5 Tekan when I get a chance.

JMC

100 gr. G5 Montec hands down. i have killed everything whitetail, mulies, bear, elk and moose.

100gr. Wac'em 3 blades they fly great same as field point, super strong and the blades are replaceable.