• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brake on a 22" 260? Anything wrong w/ Surgeon RSR?

KPK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2009
Oklahoma
Hey fellas had a couple of questions on a couple of things.

Do you think a brake is needed on a 22" .260? Wouldn't mind one, but kind of gearing this towards a do all rifle. Tac, Hunting, etc.

Is there anything wrong with the Surgeon RSR now that they are discontinued? I have one going on a 7 SAUM build and thinking about another for the .260...

Re: Brake on a 22" 260? Anything wrong w/ Surgeon RSR?

There is not a thing wrong with an RSR. Surgeon is good stuff for sure.

A brake is definitely not NEEDED there, but if you want one go for it. Maybe just jump for a suppressor mount instead?

I will say that my 260 (built on a savage 12) is not a very heavy rifle. Recoil is not an issue whatsoever, especially if you drive it right.

I've got a RSR action that is going in my 260 build. I am going to have mine built with a 26" barrel and a brake (RWS here on the hide). Not that the 260 needs a brake but it'll make it that much easier to spot your own shots at longer distances.

I cant answer about the action, I dont have one.

I am gathering parts on a 6.5 creed or 260 rem build right now.

I do plan on putting a brake on it. I dont really think its needed, but if it helps me spot follow ups or takes some of the recoil away Im going to use it.

Honestly, I dont mind brakes and I dont mind shooting next to them. Maybe in 20 years Ill change my mind, until then they will be on everyone of my rifles.

I actually have a R700 action ready to go right now, but I am wondering if it'd be worth the extra cash to get the Surgeon...can get one worth the money...

Think the Badger FTE is to large on the rem varmint contour?

I can't comment on the action either, Haven't had the chance to get close to one.

I am going to put an FTE on the 260 I'm building right now.

You could get a thruster brake and use a thread protector made when you want to take it off

I don't currently run a brake on my .260 as it is such a light recoiling rifle. However, at the Fall 2011 FSC, if you couldn't see your bullet impacts then you couldn't make the corrections you needed to.

Like TSI said, "if you're the <span style="font-weight: bold">ONLY</span> one running a muzzle brake, then you're an asshole. If you're the only one <span style="font-weight: bold">NOT</span> running a muzzle brake then you're a fool!".

So are you hunting or shooting in a competition? I wasn't going to use my one and only muzzle brake on my .260 Ackley Improved, but seeing how some people were able to correct for their shots and other's were not, I'm figuring on getting that brake mounted now.

Myself I think a brake is good on any rifle. I compete and hunt with my Surgeon 591 in .260. yes the rifle really dosn't need a brake, but in compition and hunting both you can't always have a prefect position. I never shoot without hearing protection, so hunting with a break is GTG.

Take every advantage possible!

You don't need a brake on a 260 rem, but if you want the best of everything, go with a threaded cap and a RAD muzzle brake. Then maybe you can even get a suppressor later.

I have a surgeon RSR, and like it, it is a good action. The only difference between that and their higher cost actions is that the rail is screwed on, but it is very secure and rock solid.

I've worked with 2 RSR actions. We put a a CG trigger system on one and a Jewel on the other. The one with the CG trigger system is on an Eliseo tube stock and is chambered in 6br. That gun is very accurate. The other one with the Jewel trigger system is a tactical setup chambered in .308 running Wyatt bottom metal. Haven't seen the .308 shoot yet but praying it is very accurate also. If I were building a hunting gun or a tactical gun that required a short action I would use the RSR action.

The only thing you need to remember about the RSR action is that it will not accept a Rem 700 base you have to get the base made by Surgeon. I just went through this with that .308. The first one was on that Eliseo stock so the base didn't come into play. The other day I ordered an EGW base for that .308 when I went to install the base I thought something had made it past EGW's quality control, but after talking with a buddy of mine I remembered reading that the Rem 700 bases wouldn't work. EGW is a great company to work with and they offer an excellent product. They have excellent customer service also.

Thanks for the info guys I totally forgot I started this thread.

This rifle will be for whatever! Hunting, plinking, maybe comps someday, etc. Now I'm jus trying to decide between a .308 or .260...on the RSR.