• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brand New AIAW 26" 308 with Hensoldt 6-24x56

nickorette

Private
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
ON/CT
Just brought home my brand new AI AW 26" 308. Got all the goodies with it too. Was a long time coming, it was on order for about 10 months!

Late 2012 production. The stock looks updated, and the muzzle break is a dual chamber over the older single chamber.

img0174gb.jpg

Just a few questions:
-I noticed some set screws around the trigger -is the trigger adjustable? I never read anything online, and the manual doesnt mention anything.
-Not a big fan of the new style stock. Can this be swapped with the older style stock?

Lastly, I went to mount my new Hensoldt onto the rifle, but the scope center bottoms out before the tube can reach the bottom of the rings. My rough measurement is about 4mm/3/16" difference off the rear ring. I have the 30mm base with 28 MOA built in.

img0176ql.jpg

What do you guys suggest to fix this? I can't be the only one who has mounted a Hensoldt 6-24x56 onto an AI Dovetail.

I think I found my solution to the scope problem. I contacted Spuhr, and about 10 mins later the owner said it was no problem on their mounts. What a relief!

I'll have to get some better photos up when I get the system put together

I'm new here tonight and I must comment . the rifle is absolutely stunning congrats. Respectfully oaktree

It's extremely easy to fix the mount. Just needs milled out. A machine shop would probably do it for free.

I had a similar problem with an AI mount and a S&B 3-12x50 MYC scope a few years back. I had to have the bridge between the rings machined down a bit. It worked but added cost to the whole package.

-I noticed some set screws around the trigger -is the trigger adjustable? I never read anything online, and the manual doesnt mention anything.

No need to touch the trigger. The AI triggers are great out of the box and don't need adjusting. They are set perfectly by the factory before they get to you.

-Not a big fan of the new style stock. Can this be swapped with the older style stock?

Yes. Call around and you'll find distributors that still have the old sides in stock.

That is a beautiful rifle. Take it out and enjoy it!

Last edited:
quiet a good setup you got there
let us know how it shoots once you get the correct mount, I must say that every time I see the AI scope mount it makes me think they order it from Deal Extreme or other Chinese manufacturer, I would expect them to make something more decent.
anyway after seeing and shooting both the AIAW and the AX I still prefer the good old AW over the newer and more taticool AX
Good luck shooting it

Last edited:
Glad to see new AWs still flowing. I like the AW better than the AX also. It's hard to improve on. The AI dovetail is probably the best scope mounting option there ever was.

Congratulations! Awesome stick. I agree w/ sail re AW vs AX. Post some groups once you sort out the mounting issues. Accuracy Intl rifles are also very flexible and can handle high-performance hand loads if you reload.

I think I found my solution to the scope problem. I contacted Spuhr, and about 10 mins later the owner said it was no problem on their mounts. What a relief!

I'll have to get some better photos up when I get the system put together

That's an expensive solution, but a damn good one.

If you figure out how much you need removed from the AI mount and pay for shipping both ways, I'll machine it off for you.

Joe

Very nice rig I'm an AICS fan and all variations you should be very happy with it an the way it shoots and definitely I wouldn't mess with the trigger if you don't like the feel of it then have it adjusted if your not mechanically inclined and comfortable doing it take it to a good smith and they can tune it the way you want but factory is damn crisp. Enjoy!

That's an expensive solution, but a damn good one.

If you figure out how much you need removed from the AI mount and pay for shipping both ways, I'll machine it off for you.

Joe

Thanks for the offer, but the Spuhr mount is already paid for and on its way. I like the idea of the integral bubble level in the mount.

I got a second AI bi-pod in the kit for some unknown reason (freebie!), I'll sell that off and the old AI mount to offset the costs. Probably come out on top too.

Last edited:
Glad to see new AWs still flowing. I like the AW better than the AX also. It's hard to improve on. The AI dovetail is probably the best scope mounting option there ever was.

Yes, liked the AI thombhole stock over AX pistol grip. AW is a classic with a unique design, had to go with that. Was on my wishlist for several years.

I've got stocks with both new and old skins and I like the old ones better from the grip and rearward but the new ones seem to be a little more rounded on the forward end and are slightly more comfortable. The seams on the old skins seem to fit together better too.

Thanks for the offer, but the Spuhr mount is already paid for and on its way. I like the idea of the integral bubble level in the mount.

I got a second AI bi-pod in the kit for some unknown reason (freebie!), I'll sell that off and the old AI mount to offset the costs. Probably come out on top too.

The Spuhr is a nice piece of kit.
I have one and it is fantastic.

I also have an AI mount and for the price, they are hard to beat, but as you've shown they have their application limits.

Joe