• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass Plated Steel

SilentVapor631

Beararmz2nd
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2018

Bear Ammunition Golden Bear .223 Remington 55 Grain Full Metal Jacket Steel Cased Centerfire Rifle Ammunition AG223FMJ Caliber: .223 Remington, Number of Rounds.​

Can You use this Brass Plated Steel for reloading ??

just Learning about reloading before getting into it.

1622480503125.png

Agree. That ammo is not designed to be reloaded. The steel case does not behave at all like brass, and you would get unacceptable results.

Jim G

Starline 223 brass is a great place to start. It's been showing up in stock occasionally

Bit of a hijack but kind of similar question, I have some Fed nickel coated brass that came from their 6.5 cm loaded with Berger 135 gr hybrid hunter.

It was good shooting ammo, I don't have a lot of it, but I do have these cases in a box on the shelf and was just wondering if they are worth even messing with.

I'm thinking probably not.

And any idea why this ammo has nickel plated brass?

Cheers

There are some threads about nickel plate brass. I have some for my 280 I use for hunting ammo. It seems to size the same as regular brass, I can't tell any real difference. I have only reloaded some of it 3x at most.

Reactions: Baron23
Nickel plate cases provide some corrosion protection in wet environments. However, they react a differently than brass when sized and since Nickel is harder than brass, they could notably increase wear on dies. I suspect that is why no one recommends them for reloading.

Jim G

Reactions: Baron23