• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Break Blew Off - where does the problem lie?

rookie67

Private
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2011
Anoka, Minnesota
I purchased. RWS break bases on the great reviews, had a local smith with a good reputation install it. Found out afterwards that he went on vacation and his apprentice actually installed it. Well it blew off in under 10 rounds while sighting in scope. Found it 40 yards down range. My question is...who screwed up, the break fits a 300 bullet fine with room to spare measured while bullet still in case.

It will thread on but just spins at the shoulder the threads are hosed. Is my barrel ruined and will I have to cut id down? Or can the threads be fixed?

Any input is much appreciated.
Remington 5R 300 WM

Thank you
Steve

Re: Break Blew Off - where does the problem lie?

After reading through the threads it sounds like a gunsmith issue and not a bad break. I notices when shooting the shots were going high and to the left, made a minor adjustment on the next shot everything was low and to the right I think this was when the break blew offf.

Am going to sight it in properly without the break on so have a comparison after its fixed. Is it possible to cut down to 25" so I have a 26" barrel with break? Or is there an advantage to cutting to 24?

I'm bummed, this is my first build and just finished installing a night force 5.5 x 22 x 50.
frown.gif

Only 40yds? Last guys went over 100yds
laugh.gif

Bummer, I have a RWS and it has at least 100 down the pipe already. My smith was very impressed with the quality and asked for Ross' info to buy a few for himself.

Hopefully the senior smith will make things right for you. I would ask them to for a replacement brake, chop, thread and crown your bbl.

Trust me, it's not the brake.

Screwed up barrel turning and threading.

RWS is a good brake.

Seems most likely the threading, not the break. Do you have pictures of the threading?

Dont forget to carefully check the threads in the brake as well, It never goes well for me when a threaded gadget comes off, almost always buggers the threads on both sides...

Dave

I was going to post after reading the other thread about the brake coming off but held off. I have a small lathe which I've used to thread but I'm no machinist and just learning. They had been looking pretty darn good and when a friend asked me to thread his rifle barrel I said sure. I'd been doing short barrels since my lathe is a little Monarch JR and his barrel would not fit thru the head.

I went over to my neighbors who has a larger lathe and we set everything up and he set his angle on the compound. When done the threads looked great and I only measured the minor and it was nuts on. The next day my buddy called and his brake also blew off.... hmmmmmmm. Put a big hole right beside the little hole in a target about 50 yards out where he was boresighting it.

Ended up he misread the angle and it was cutting the tops off the threads and making them shallow with every pass. Initially putting it on it felt great but was really not catching the full depth. I wonder if that might be what happened to these other two. And I thought I was the only one that made a "QD" quick detach brake. Now I let another friend do the threading for the guns and I stick to making small parts for my hotrod.
smile.gif

Topstrap

I was going to post after reading the other thread about the brake coming off but held off. I have a small lathe which I've used to thread but I'm no machinist and just learning. They had been looking pretty darn good and when a friend asked me to thread his rifle barrel I said sure. I'd been doing short barrels since my lathe is a little Monarch JR and his barrel would not fit thru the head.

I went over to my neighbors who has a larger lathe and we set everything up and he set his angle on the compound. When done the threads looked great and I only measured the minor and it was nuts on. The next day my buddy called and his brake also blew off.... hmmmmmmm. Put a big hole right beside the little hole in a target about 50 yards out where he was boresighting it.

Ended up my neighbor misread the angle and it was cutting the tops off the threads and making them shallow with every pass. Initially putting it on it felt great but was really not catching the full depth. I wonder if that might be what happened to these other two. And I thought I was the only one that made a "QD" quick detach brake. Now I let another friend do the threading for the guns and I stick to making small parts for my hotrod.
smile.gif

Topstrap

So can that fix the threads or do I have to have me barrel cut down? Gonna try to get the smith to get me a new rifle, don't see that as very likely though.

Thanks
Steve

The threads were obviously cut wrong, 60k PSI validated that assumption.

The good thing is that you can have it cut down, rethreaded and the new barrel length will be close to the original 26"(barrel and brake), just that you will loose some velocity with the shorter bore length. Anywhere from 20-60 fps depending on the chop.

Was the brake turned down from it's original diameter? I don't mean tapered to the barrel, I mean the whole thing turned down? If it was then that is the problem and the smith is to blame. His brakes aren't designed to be turned down. They are designed to be tapered to fit the barrel. When you turn them down it makes the upper and lower web too thin and it allows the brake to stretch. It happens typically at the first web because that is where the brunt of the impact from the escaping gases is. If it botched the barrel threads Ross can make you one with smaller threads, provided it was 5/8x24 or larger and the smith can re-thread it to the next size smaller thread. You can actually do 1/2x28 on a .30 cal. but I'd try not to. If you over tighten the brake it can create a tight spot in the barrel.

A thread gauge will quickly show if the threads were cut wrong.

I would see what the smith offers up, if all you did is cut just the threads off you'd only lose a inch.

I'd push for a new barrel except he messed up a brake, would you want the same guy to do a barrel? Of course since it was his apprentice , maybe he will step up ...

Dave

Thanks everyone for your replies. Based on your replies and Ross' reputation and his RWS breaks I went in to the smith, he took full ownership of the problem, most likely the threads were cut down too much. He's going to cut it down and redo it, not crazy about having it cut down but at least now It will fit into the case better
smile.gif

As for Ross with the RWS break, even thought the problem wasn't with the break he offered to replace it for free, now that's a stand up guy!

Now I just have to get my defective Nightforce replaced and I'll be good to go again.

Thank you all for the replies.
Steve

Thats good that the smith is gonna fix it for you.

You need to do some pay-it-forward to bump up your gun mojo.

Agree, my gun mojo needs some work
smile.gif
been reading the hide for a few months now and learning a lot. Before my gun was just used for hunting now I'm trying to take up shooting as a sport. Still have a ways, to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trust me, it's not the brake.

Screwed up barrel turning and threading.

RWS is a good brake. </div></div>

+1 on the RWS brake, very well made!