• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Breaking in a New Bolt Action Rifle

Hijeffrey95

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2014
So I purchased a new, unfired Raven Rifles M40A3 and was wondering what the procedure would be to break the rifle in or if it's even necessary?

What benefits come with breaking in a new bolt gun?

Any suggestions/advice would be helpfull

Thank You

Do a Google search for "Snipershide" and "breakin procedures". It's a fairly common topic.
To each their own. But I clean well before first outing, then shoot it for about 100 rds.. clean well again.. then done till groups fall off. Most clean way too much.
A few patches or boresnake to knock out carbon between good cleanings is acceptable.
Others will post their preferred methods which will vary widely.

Shoot 50 rounds then give it a good cleaning. I sparingly use a little sweets on the first cleaning to pull any extra copper.

One thing to remember is not to shoot too quickly or you will burn out your barrel sooner. A general rule of thumb is if you barrel is too hot to hold your hand on, then you need to let it cool. 308s are more forgiving of this but 6mm and 6.5mm barrels accuracy can be significantly reduced under long strings of hot fire. Ask me how I know : (

Clean the bore well before the first time you fire it to make sure you get all of the left over junk out of it and then fire away. Once accuracy begins to drop off, then clean again.