• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BREN gun semi-auto build...vintage sniper? 1.5 MOA groups. VIDEO UP!

Sadly with interesting guns being a great inflation hedge it’s probably not too far out of the market. Compared to a few years ago that tripod was priced insane. But tripod prices are higher than gun prices!
I just picture the 'bunnies' going "oh shit! The econonmy is balancing out finally." The python is having a good day!

Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
My L4 has seen better days and will take some TLC to get running again~

vYK2WLt.jpg

YIaMyfB.jpg

TVil8XZ.jpg

c4m9oHU.jpg

sBNr3jO.jpg
whats the story with the oxy cut receivers? was this part of the buyback / full auto ban?

whats the story with the oxy cut receivers? was this part of the buyback / full auto ban?
Sawcut receivers were deemed to easy to reassemble by ATF and or US customs as the kits were being reimported and the receivers de-milled.

So they changed the definition of de milling from three saw cuts to torch cuts. Which make the reassembly into semi automatic collector pieces far more difficult but not impossible.

They just raised the cost of restoration. And the time involved. And probably removed a few people from the process who didn’t want to deal with acetylene cuts.

But in the end restoration professionals have made some beautiful semi pieces. Fully legal. And keeping alive some history from world war one and two.

Maybe the new EPA SCOTUS ruling will trickle into other agencies. And stop bureaucrats from randomly changing the rules. And require Congress to decide whether saw cut or torch cut or no cut is how we should treat these pieces of history.

Sirhr

Sawcut receivers were deemed to easy to reassemble by ATF and or US customs as the kits were being reimported and the receivers de-milled.

So they changed the definition of de milling from three saw cuts to torch cuts. Which make the reassembly into semi automatic collector pieces far more difficult but not impossible.

They just raised the cost of restoration. And the time involved. And probably removed a few people from the process who didn’t want to deal with acetylene cuts.

But in the end restoration professionals have made some beautiful semi pieces. Fully legal. And keeping alive some history from world war one and two.

Maybe the new EPA SCOTUS ruling will trickle into other agencies. And stop bureaucrats from randomly changing the rules. And require Congress to decide whether saw cut or torch cut or no cut is how we should treat these pieces of history.

Sirhr
thanks for the explanation! that makes sense. great to see these pieces preserved

Speaking of brens, if any of you old timers are in the market for a L4A3 Bren semi auto, I know where one is for sale

Speaking of brens, if any of you old timers are in the market for a L4A3 Bren semi auto, I know where one is for sale
If I didn't already have the two I built... I'd be tracking on VJJ's lead like a bloodhound on Paul Newman!!

These are some of the coolest (and most accurate) Semi's ever put together. Plus they are "SO" Sean Connary.

sean 2.jpg

I mean... if you have one of those silly PPK's (like me!)... you need a Bren because that's where 007 started back in WW2 as a subaltern Mountbatton Commando.

Cheers,

Sirhr

That a purpose-built LMG would be more accurate than a bolt gun certainly seems illogical... but I guess there's only one way to find out! Kudos Sir!
I owned a Historic Arms Bren gun for a few years and a semi-auto 1919A4. Both of them were as accurate single firing as a bolt gun. Heavy barrels, big bipods or 30 pound tripods and very steady.

They hammered at distance.

A decent film, I throughly enjoyed it (y)
The real story is even better... but really condemning for the Brit govt. and how they treated the Irish brigade...

There's a couple of good documentaries on the whole.... saga.

Cheers,

Sirhr

As long as I am going to reference them.... might as well post them.

The last one is a pretty obvious 'anti-communist' film from the '70's or '80's. But is interesting. It's a rather interesting story overall! Inspired many movies and songs... Norway's Bravest Son... indeed.

Last edited:
I just had a look at a 7.62mm L4A3 Bren Gun on display in the Malaysia Police Museum in Kuala Lumpur this morning.

I'll post a picture when I get home in a couple of days.

A nice little museum with lots of interesting displays and lots of guns from flintlocks to M60 machine guns, armoured vehicles and aircraft.

Free entry too.

Reactions: msgriff and ZG47A
I'm not going to hijack the thread with photos from my visit, but here is the photo of the 7.62mm L4A3 Bren in the Police Museum in Kuala Lumpur.

Crap photo, but in my defence, the room was dark and the displays were backlit. I had to get my torch out to read the markings on the side.

On top is a Johnson M1941 machine gun, then the H&K 21, the L4A3 Bren and the M60 at the bottom.

Lots of guns on display, both Police issued and also a hell of a lot taken from CTs (Communist Terrorists) during the Emergency.

eOzjxXZ.jpg