• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors broke my trusty knife

Jayne

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2006
RTP, NC
I've been carrying the same spyderco knife in my pocket pretty much daily for almost 12 years, and this weekend I was being stupid and broke the tip off.
frown.gif

Guess now it just has more 'character'.

knife_2-m.jpg

Re: broke my trusty knife

spyderco will probably reshape and sharpen it for little or nothing, if it bothers you enough to send it in .

Just take a fine bastard file and shape the end and then recut the edge with a jewelers file or a fine bastard cut file and then resharped with a diamond rod / good sharpening stone or good quality sharpening steel.
Piece of cake.
....SmokeRolls

yup, reshape and keep on carrying it. I broke the tip on my gerber years ago ad it live in my pocket to thisd day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just take a fine bastard file and shape the end and then recut the edge with a jewelers file or a fine bastard cut file and then resharped with a diamond rod / good sharpening stone or good quality sharpening steel.
</div></div>

I have one fine file and a couple good stones so I'll see what sort of damage I can do. Wait, that sounds really wrong...

Do I go file from the tip 'forward' away from the rest of the blade or from the tip 'backwards' toward the handle when reshaping?

I don't think I own a knife that hasn't happened to. Reshape repeat.

You could have that reshaped fairly easily. Anyone that is competent with files and a wet stone could take care of that for you in about 15 minutes.

Dont give up on it!

I know a good knife guy in Rockledge who can take care of that on the cheap. PM me if you want his info.

You send him the knife, payment and self addressed envelope.

+5 reshape it.. love a good EDC beater.

Jayne,
Work your file out to the tip, taking some off the spine and the edge. When you are at about the same thickness on each the top and bottom start working your edge back into the shape with the file. Again removing the metal out towards the the tip. Go slow you can always take more off but too much will cause you to have to hog a bunch more metal off to get it right. Work the stones once you almost have an edge back on. If you are patient it should come out good. That is not a major amount of tip broken off. Shoot a picture when you are done with it and post it up. Good luck

Danel

I broke my spyderco this winter. It looked the exact same as yours. They make good knives but poor screwdrivers. I took it to the grinding wheel and reshaped it. Works like a champ again.

OK, let's just say that now it has a bit more 'character' after my hack job with a file.

At least I knew enough to stop and walk away when I thought "Hmm... maybe I can fix this with the dremel...".

smile.gif

Dont know about Spyderco but same thing happened to me with my BenchMade and I sent it into them and I guess they thought it was too much trouble to reshape and sharpen so they sent me a new one. Mine was about two years old at the time. Good luck.

Just to finish this thread out, I got my knife fixed this weekend. We were at a street fair (faire? fare? you know, buncha people selling junk in the street) and there was a guy there doing knife sharpening. $5 to fix the tip and put a better edge on it than it's had in years.

I now have a custom 1/8" shorter spyderco. Officers model.
smile.gif

fixed_knife.jpg

I did the same to a Benchmade. I like it way more now than I did before. On my hip for 8 years everyday.

Yepper, I did it one day to my Benchmade auto while chipping ice from the back of a freezer............... Duh. Like said above just carefully rework it with a file and re-sharpen. I debated having the blade replaced recently when the knife was back at BM for a repair but opt'ed against it. The not quite perfect tip gives it character..................... Look close and you can't hardly tell.

DSCN1930.jpg