• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Broken Links in Posts?

srwatters

Private
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2013
North Texas
I've been searching using the forum tools and unfortunately it appears that many older links to posts within the forum are now broken and only end up pointing back to the main website. Is there an easy way to use the post numbers in the links to find the original content? I'd rather not be newbie fodder by asking the same old tired questions...

Thanks for helping a newbie out!

I've been searching using the forum tools and unfortunately it appears that many older links to posts within the forum are now broken and only end up pointing back to the main website. Is there an easy way to use the post numbers in the links to find the original content? I'd rather not be newbie fodder by asking the same old tired questions...

Thanks for helping a newbie out!

It is doing that to me for most links now....

It is pretty frustrating for new users to be searching and have many replies be links to threads that can't be followed. I've pretty much just accepted it but it'd be pretty cool if it could be fixed somehow.

I don't use forum search tools due to their limited functionality.
Google allows you to search site specific for topics of interest.
For example: If I want to find all the posts dealing with the Lilja barrels in snipershide.com
then in the google search window I type in> Lilja site:snipershide.com
Note the space between the topic of search and site, but site:snipershide.com is all one text string.
Hit search and google will filter through all the posts on snipershide and return a listing of links to peruse.

like this https://www.google.com/#q=lilja+site:snipershide.com

I don't use forum search tools due to their limited functionality.
Google allows you to search site specific for topics of interest.
For example: If I want to find all the posts dealing with the Lilja barrels in snipershide.com
then in the google search window I type in> Lilja site:snipershide.com
Note the space between the topic of search and site, but site:snipershide.com is all one text string.
Hit search and google will filter through all the posts on snipershide and return a listing of links to peruse.

like this https://www.google.com/#q=lilja+site:snipershide.com

This is a good tip (for any website), and I don't know if it was addressed in part or in whole to me, but I was referring to after using the Google search method, especially for more common questions, you'll get to threads where the replies are just links to other threads that you can no longer access.

The old UBB url format is totally different

snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=696539

compared to the url format being used now

www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-rimfire-section/227052-broken-links-posts.html

I've tried a few remixes to see if they'll connect but no luck.
It appears that the post numbering system has changed also so no way to make a connection.

Best bet is google search site specific for your topic and read 'em all

Last edited:
OK. Thanks. Too bad there was no automated way to preserve the links when the software upgrade occurred.

As always, Google is your best search friend...