• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brother in Afganistan

martinez_ian

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2010
havre, mt
My little brother is in afganistan, and i told him would get him some accessories for his rifle if he ever had to go. He's shooting a M249, he does some longer range shooting (400+). any ideas? Thanks.

Also it needs to be stuff that his commanding officer can approve.

Re: Brother in Afganistan

needs stuff for long range shooting????? On a M249 SAW? Being a squad machine gun, why would he need Long Range stuff, he is there to throw ALOT of hate towards people shooting at them. No need for precision, its meant as a suppresive fire weapon

If you would stop your post count padding we would take you more seriously. Where is your brother stationed?
Who is he with?

Also what kind of shit do you have to sell? I mean 50 posts in the last 4 hours, that shit is highly frowned upon here FYI

Oh...somebody wants a smack from the ban hammer.

I would suggest an eagle stock pack. That way it can hold 5 linked rounds...you know...just in case.

Well, no shit deadly....I realize the m249 is not meant for long range work but I figured in the mountain region there's gotta be some kind of a small, all around variable scope/sight that would be a good for close shots and also some LONGER shots like 400 and beyond. I've seen pictures of m249's with cq scopes on them, I was just hoping for some idea's since I don't have any experience with them.

And KY I don't really care if you don't take me seriously. I've been on this site reading just about everyday for months. Most of the time I don't write anything. Because i'm trying to learn. And i'm not a punk kid, I take this stuff seriously. And yeah I guess I got carried away with the threads today...I didn't realize they up'd the count to 100. And point of fact- after talking to my brother today i kinda do want to sell some shit so i can send him something he might actually use. Get off my case, I'm not making anything up.

My brother was stationed in Germany, then they sent him to Kuwait to get used to the climate or something, and now he's in afganistan. He said he wants a better bi-pod and a foregrip. I guess there's a tri-rail on front. I was wondering if anybody ELSE could me for idea's on an accessory for the m249.

the SAW has a bipod on it. So no need for that one, there isnt anything other than an eotech or aim point that i would put on a SAW.....PS ive carried one. Also the rules about selling shit here "100 MEANINGFUL POSTS....LOL or NICE BUCK in your case doesnt count. You realize no one here likes when people post 50 times in a couple hours so i wouldnt expect much from people here. Also there are lots of people who have carried the SAW in Afghan and Iraq, so take that for what its worth. There isnt much that you can "add" on to the SAW.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also what kind of shit do you have to sell? I mean 50 posts in the last 4 hours, that shit is highly frowned upon here FYI </div></div>

agreed deadly0311...

his posts contribute a lot to the site !!

lol
crazy.gif
ya right !

Don't mind KYShooter, he thinks he is the official snipershide post count regulator.

Deadly is just pointing out that lowlight (the site owner and operator) frowns on people upping their post count with the intention of being able to sell goods.

It's good that you want to help your brother....hope you get him back safe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zenitram nai</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He said the bi-pod it came with sucks. Thanks deadly for the help. </div></div>

The Bipod that comes on the 249 is not something you can go out and buy to replace, the bipod has more to do than just supporting the rifle. It holds the gas tube in alignment and keeps it from backing out. So no luck with changing those out. You dont really want to much magnification on top of a SAW (in my opinion) id send him an EOTech or AimPoint.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zenitram nai</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My little brother is in afganistan, and i told him would get him some accessories for his rifle if he ever had to go. He's shooting a M249, he does some longer range shooting (400+). any ideas? Thanks.

Also it needs to be stuff that his commanding officer can approve. </div></div>

I FOUND A SOLUTION !! A-BOMB ACCESSORIES get the kids outta there and we can build a lake! And have enough towels to give to all US citizens for 100 years.

NO I am not upping my posts don't care to advertise here I have sold things to people by just meeting them here and having them email me personally, so don't bother LOL

I do have to agree with Deadly, I too am a Marine and served time in sandy places. The only thing you can realy put on the SAW to make it shoot long range is an Eotech with a 3x or an ACOG. The bad part is your talking about $600-1200 at the very least. What unit is he with? Most units have optics and will issue them to him if he will just ask the right person. I've carried and Eotech, ACOG, and Iron sights on a M4 and M-16. for 400+ yards I would say ACOG by far but these guys on here are right. That type of weapon system is not made for long range shots. Its made for keeping heads down and putting max ammo down range not taking sniper shots at 300-400 yards. They have DM's and snipers to take care of that.

Tell your brother I wish him the best of luck and to get home safe. The best words I was always told was keep your head down and your rifle clean. You never know when you might need both of them to function at the same time.

Semper Fi
watch your 6

I'm not sure but I think you're thinking of an older 249, because he said some other guys use a harris. The one he has came with a shorter barrel and a collapsible stock with a tri-picatinny rail. I think it's the M249 para.

from what i understand uncle usually gives em what they needs ta kill with but i have heard that green lasers are the cats meow for persuading haji into submission so see if he needs one of those?

Not sure what unit he's in. He said over Christmas that he was gonna be in a stryker unit?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zenitram nai</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not sure but I think you're thinking of an older 249, because he said some other guys use a harris. The one he has came with a shorter barrel and a collapsible stock with a tri-picatinny rail. I think it's the M249 para. </div></div>

I know exactly what SAW it is, and NO ONE uses a Harris bipod on the M249....i was being sarcastic. You cannot change the bipod,stock, or anything else out.

the M249 is capable of 400yd shoot's and more with a good man driving it.
like every one has said if you are going to put a optic on such a weapon it
need's to be low magnification ....... quicker find target more field of view

Google search the following:

Trijicon M249 SAW day optic ( I used irons or an eotech but to each his own )

M249 SAW Grip pod ( No personal experience but some liked the m4/m16 version )

M249 Sling ( aftermarket is much better and will be appreciated in A-stan I'm sure )

Is your brother in an infantry unit? Infantry units usually put optics on the SAW (well, in the Marines anyway). We had the ELCAN XM145's. No body liked them though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also what kind of shit do you have to sell? I mean 50 posts in the last 4 hours, that shit is highly frowned upon here FYI </div></div>

Dude, gotta say deadly has a point... WTF?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't mind KYShooter, he thinks he is the official snipershide post count regulator.

Deadly is just pointing out that lowlight (the site owner and operator) frowns on people upping their post count with the intention of being able to sell goods.

It's good that you want to help your brother....hope you get him back safe. </div></div>

Ya thats it.... or I don't want the site to turn to shit with people saying the same thing 50 times in a few hours to SELL THEIR SHIT off! Its obvious when the new guys get on here and start firing away.

So ask yourself..... what do you contribute?

Hmm stuff for the SAW? LOL that thing is heavy enough... not too mention the extra barrel he has to carry with him... and that being a support area weapon that can be accurate in capable hands... ( i too have some experience with that particular weapon ) its still a heavy sob and you dont want to put more shit on it. And you can change a stock on it to either a fixed one or adjustable one which is not that great, but makes it lighter. Just tell you brother to learn how to use it and not bother with high tech shit as it will make things more complicated. and carry a sidearm if he can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kiena</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> And you can change a stock on it to either a fixed one or adjustable one which is not that great, but makes it lighter. </div></div>

Kiena is right, there are currently 3 different stocks issued that I am aware of: the A2 style, the M4 style collapsible, and a collapsible that twists 90deg to collapse all the way to the rear of the action. Most now change out the barrel to the short one for weight/maneuverability. As far as optics goes, most supply SGTs will get you what you need, but I dont think you would want any magnification on the 249, maybe an EOTECH, the SAW is used mostly as a suppressive fire weapon, leave the longer shots to the DMs. Hell, with the rules of engagement we have to follow, I'm not sure that we even need ammo! Where is your brother at over here?

I enjoyed carrying the FN Minimi Para or maybe it was FN Minimi SPW... the shortend barrel and telescoped buttstock made for a nice light/handy crew serve weapon..... Regardless, the SAW will have no problem hitting a target at 400+... just tell him to keep it clean and make sure not to neglect his spare barrel b/c at some point in time he may need it.

get what you can send your love & support a good hand made custom knife will help in case they get in real close and things just go wrong. Plus 1 on a high dollar green laser our army is really well taken care in this war but there are still things trick stuff than one has to pay for never packed a saw but little things count too things to make him sleep warmer on cold nights snacks are always welcome some units just dont get as much high cal food as they need if the kid drinks coffee a small hand grinder & beans for long hours some time the little things keep up moral and when they get they tell you what a help it was Ti fork & spoon any light wt stuff to make the ruck liter God bless the lad hope makes it home all right

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zenitram nai</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My brother was stationed in Germany, then they sent him to Kuwait to get used to the climate or something, and now he's in afganistan. He said he wants a better bi-pod and a foregrip. I guess there's a tri-rail on front. I was wondering if anybody ELSE could me for idea's on an accessory for the m249. </div></div>

Not supposed to reveal that kind of stuff bro.

+1 On the Eotech, We have em running on our MK48s and 240s, works pretty well for shooting distance. But for the most part your brother's S4 should be able to handle putting in orders for optics or work with someone at a Battalion level. Call me crazy but his CO shouldn't have approve anything as hes the gunner for that weapon it should be really up to him to mod it how he wants to shoot, unless it falls out of the common sense category.

Keep it on track. Zenitram's massive post count in a day is noted by the mods through a couple of alerts so lets move past it.

Hey waittaminit! That SAW is one of the new high speed para models with all the rails and it's EMPTY??? OMFG! Dude, you need to go out and totally buy him an Elcan Ballistic Scope, a ANPQ Laser, And a Grip Pod fore grip/bipod. OH! And don't forget that big ass Surefire light they all grab from the PXtra too! All that stuff is the latest high speed issue stuff that POG units put on their SAW's! If his unit isn't seeing fit to kit out his SAW proper, you may have to help out a bit. SHoot,there is nothing like carrying a fully kitted rifle or gun that used to weigh 6 - 8 pounds with so much crap on it it weighs 12 - 14.
Then send him some tan and foliage Krylon so he can paint it up real cool like to match the M4's that are all around him.
COme on you guys, you know this kid is being done a severe disservice if his SAW is lacking all the oh no, he's gonna use it, no he ain't, yeah he is, get ready for it, aw maaaaaan, not that word, TACTICOOL TOYS someone needs to step up and Mall Ninja that puppy up!

There are four items that come in useful on a SAW.

1. Sling (issued/personal preference)
2. Scope (ELCAN or ACOG should be issued by unit)
3. PEQ (issued)
4. Vertical grip (Gangster grip-issued/personal preference)

M249 standard qualification is from 400m-800m If he can't see to 800m, then he needs to go see the docs for some glasses. if he can't HIT 800m, he needs to put the long barrel back on the SAW and leave the short barrel for MOUT operations.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TalkingBush</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tell him to quit being a fucking pog and use the SAW how it is issued. You don't need accessories for the SAW. </div></div>

HAHA.... now the ugly truth comes out! that shit is funny.

mount a 2-45X56mm counter sniper on it, thats where he will make his money and look cool at midnight chow........mmmkay

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zenitram nai</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure what unit he's in. He said over Christmas that he was gonna be in a stryker unit? </div></div>

Been watching the military channel lately? Could it be a recent episode of Battlefield Diaries: Kiowa Down?

Like it's been said, not a whole lot to do with the 249. I had to carry the full-size bitch for a year in Afghanistan myself and then, 2 months before set to return home, we get the tri-rail system and forward pistol grips (which I didn't care for). I begged from day 1 to get a shortened barrel & collapsible stock, but it never happened for me. If he's already got those, that's the biggest thing I could have suggested.

Aside from that, an after-market sling of some sort and an Eotech or something would be great. Also, we had them issued, but I didn't see it mentioned yet; get one of those 100-rnd "nutsack" zipper up ammo pouches to replace the standard 200rnd drum. Especially for just walking around the FOB it's a lot nicer (smaller and half the weight!).

Only other thing I could think of would be an ammo drum pouch of some sort (MOLLE or whatever your favorite system is) if he didn't get any / enough issued depending on how much he's actually patrolling on foot.

As for the bipod... pretty sure you can remove it and the gas cylinder will still go right back in and stay secure without it. With the tri-rail, you could attach whatever bipod you wanted. The one it comes with did feel flimsy (unit broke a couple in training) and they move around quite a bit.

Ask him about the MGO (machine gun optic) as well... he may have had one issued or unit might be able to get one. I never used it, but I heard it's alright (and free). PAQ-4 on the side for nights and you're set.

Edit...

Oh yeah... make sure he has one of those scraper / cleaning tools that is "supposed" to be in the original hand guard. They were like some sort of mythical creature while I was there, "you want a WHAT? hahahah, good luck, they don't even exist!" I dunno, maybe it was just me, but it was pretty useful... most just used their gerber or whateverthehell. (I acquired one)

My son is a Marine Infantry SAW gunner w/ 3/7 Lima Co. out of 29 Palms. His SAW was issued w/ an Elcan, noboby likes them. He leaves it on the weapon so he can see things at a distance. In training, hits to 300m are no problem. He can't say much on the phone, but I understood in the 2 1/2 months he has been in country/numerous patrols he has not seen any action.

you can take off the barrel, pull the gas tube out remove the bipod and replace gas tube and then you can put any bipod that mounts to a rail on the rail system. our saw gunners had either the issued bipods "talons" i dunno what there real name is, or people put harris on with the picatinny adapter. simply because when the standard bipods were mounted to the rear they couldnt run a vert grip, and when they were forward they were just annoying. they also ran eotechs, dont bother with a magnified optic, its an area weapon, zero the dot at 25 let her rip

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the SAW has a bipod on it. So no need for that one, there isnt anything other than an eotech or aim point that i would put on a SAW.....PS ive carried one. Also the rules about selling shit here "100 MEANINGFUL POSTS....LOL or NICE BUCK in your case doesnt count. You realize no one here likes when people post 50 times in a couple hours so i wouldnt expect much from people here. Also there are lots of people who have carried the SAW in Afghan and Iraq, so take that for what its worth. There isnt much that you can "add" on to the SAW. </div></div>

I'll agree and 2nd that. Not much to add onto a saw, and an eotech is a perfect addition to it. I also carried it.

Also, the 100 round pouches are downright counterproductive for the SAW. Unless used EXCLUSIVELY when on base and never out on patrol.

The whole point of the SAW is laying down lots of hate in a given direction, there's a point to the 200 round drum.

And P.S. Hits at 600 are not difficult at all. should be easy enough to keep heads down out to 800-900.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gits</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 On the Eotech, We have em running on our MK48s and 240s, works pretty well for shooting distance. But for the most part your brother's S4 should be able to handle putting in orders for optics or work with someone at a Battalion level. Call me crazy but his CO shouldn't have approve anything as hes the gunner for that weapon it should be really up to him to mod it how he wants to shoot, unless it falls out of the common sense category. </div></div>

Now your just talking plain old stupid. The CO shouldn't have to approve anything because he's the gunner for that weapon?? That's the whole point of the CO approving it, to ensure it doesn't fall out of the common sense category.

You obviously have never been in the military and seen some of the dumb shit young guys will do.

Man, 'Joe' will FSU in a heartbeat if given a fair chance with every 'cool' item he can find in the PX that mounts to a rail. OEF VII we had eight of 40 something SAWs that were short barrel, collapsing stocks, rails all around and you should have seen the BS some of them put on them. My gunner, shit, she was this bad ass little black chick that could outshoot and out maneuver each and every one of them, PLUS she had something they were all missing, no fear.(freakin coward ass niggahs* who were the shit by day turned straight bitch ass at night when the word patrol came up) Her gun, plain ass SAW with a 200 box on it because she wasn't down with reloading, and a ballistic reticle Elcan that sat in her pack because it was in her words, "The biggest piece of shit they ever made for a gun"
Her best line? "Go walk out about 800 yards and look back and wave to me"

* their word for one another, as in,'Yo niggah' or 'You'se a Bitch niggah!' You all know the type

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zenitram nai</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure what unit he's in. He said over Christmas that he was gonna be in a stryker unit? </div></div>

Well you won't be sending him shit if you don't know what unit he's with. If you get that figured out though buy him a good sling for that POS, and tell him to pawn it off on the new guys when they get their replacements. Hope he comes home Safe

If he's Mounted, then Colapsible stock (not para/twist version), shorty barrel, Nut Sack as he should have at least 6-800 more on him (at least) the rest split in section/team, best sling he can get his hands on. For the BiPod, if he has the tri rail on it then he should have the bipod for that system, but make sure he keeps an eye on the circlip under it, they have a habit of falling off, the legs will still hold on but for how long who knows. PEQ 4/15 if issued. Open sites or EoTech. You wont be sending him any of these apart from the EoTech or sling. Keep the mechanics as is,clean often and clean again. The mythical beast cleaning tool if he can find one (never ever let it out of your site as someone else will claim it). Inspect the link regularly. Test fire and zero when ever he gets a chance. Master stoppage drills, he'll need them.
Most important, look after the guy next to him, as he will be doing the same.
Stay safe.

100-rnd pouches definitely have their place and purpose. For foot-patrol, I went with the 200-rnd drum, yes. However, the SAW was a secondary weapon for me behind the M2, as 95% of our missions were mounted patrols. With the drum, I had a much harder time keeping the SAW up in the turret with me, with the 100-rnd pouch, I could open the bipod and drop the left leg of the bipod through the front right turret handle and put the buttstock just to the back right of the turret hatch and it stayed put nicely and the pouch wouldn't get in my way like the drum did (or fall off from banging the side of the turret).

The other thing that was brought up was cleaning... I always cleaned and left mine dry or used graphite as lube. Any liquid lube acted as a magnet and just gummed it up, especially if you've got it up in a turret and driving around w/ blowing dust. Maybe send him some graphite powder; I think we got ours through our supply though (can't remember).

This goes for the ammo, too as was brought up. If you're attaching the same pouch / drum of rounds every day, you need to get in there and keep the links clean (another reason the pouch is nice...hell, I think you can get 200-rnd pouches too, if nothing else, gives you easier access to the rounds / links to maintain them). Either that or get down to the range and blow them off "test firing" and what not and open a new drum every so often... especially if they're exposed to any moisture. Even a little bit getting in there will lead to corrosion / rust and subsequent stoppages.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zenitram nai</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure what unit he's in. He said over Christmas that he was gonna be in a stryker unit? </div></div>

Well you won't be sending him shit if you don't know what unit he's with. If you get that figured out though buy him a good sling for that POS, and tell him to pawn it off on the new guys when they get their replacements. Hope he comes home Safe </div></div>

Good point HillBilly!! No unit... No address!!! We can recommend the world, but without an address, he aint gonna get it!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gits</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 On the Eotech, We have em running on our MK48s and 240s, works pretty well for shooting distance. But for the most part your brother's S4 should be able to handle putting in orders for optics or work with someone at a Battalion level. Call me crazy but his CO shouldn't have approve anything as hes the gunner for that weapon it should be really up to him to mod it how he wants to shoot, unless it falls out of the common sense category. </div></div>

Now your just talking plain old stupid. The CO shouldn't have to approve anything because he's the gunner for that weapon?? That's the whole point of the CO approving it, to ensure it doesn't fall out of the common sense category.

You obviously have never been in the military and seen some of the dumb shit young guys will do.</div></div>

That was actually in reference to the guys brother being the gunner and modding his weapon to his preference. And yes I am serving overseas right now with the military. Sorry if you did not get the intent of the message. And if his shit is out of the common sense category his team leader would have squared him away not his CO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gits</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gits</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 On the Eotech, We have em running on our MK48s and 240s, works pretty well for shooting distance. But for the most part your brother's S4 should be able to handle putting in orders for optics or work with someone at a Battalion level. Call me crazy but his CO shouldn't have approve anything as hes the gunner for that weapon it should be really up to him to mod it how he wants to shoot, unless it falls out of the common sense category. </div></div>

You obviously have never been in the military and seen some of the dumb shit young guys will do.</div></div>

That was actually in reference to the guys brother being the gunner and modding his weapon to his preference. And yes I am serving overseas right now with the military. Sorry if you did not get the intent of the message. And if his shit is out of the common sense category his team leader would have squared him away not his CO. </div></div>

Well there killer.

First off team leaders don't call the shots. The CO dictates things like that and it trickles down the chain.

I think you missed the point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gits</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gits</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 On the Eotech, We have em running on our MK48s and 240s, works pretty well for shooting distance. But for the most part your brother's S4 should be able to handle putting in orders for optics or work with someone at a Battalion level. Call me crazy but his CO shouldn't have approve anything as hes the gunner for that weapon it should be really up to him to mod it how he wants to shoot, unless it falls out of the common sense category. </div></div>

That was actually in reference to the guys brother being the gunner and modding his weapon to his preference. And yes I am serving overseas right now with the military. Sorry if you did not get the intent of the message. And if his shit is out of the common sense category his team leader would have squared him away not his CO. </div></div>

Well there killer.

First off team leaders don't call the shots. The CO dictates things like that and it trickles down the chain.

I think you missed the point. </div></div>

I guess it all depends where you work, I know a lot of guys who have freedom to do what they wish to their weapons. Needless to say its up to the guidance of the unit.