• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Brownell's scores F- on this one

turbohatch

Private
Minuteman
May 9, 2011
Idaho
I ordered 4 things from Brownell's recently that I was less than impressed with, taps and dies. I ordered a tap and die each for 1/2" 28 and 5/8" 24, to the tune of almost $120 after shipping. Manufacturer was listed as Brownell's. Having some confidence in them, now lost, I accepted the cost as a bit steep and paid the price. I anxiously awaited my package to arrive and was more upset than I have been in a while wheen I saw packing that was labled Pittsburg! As in HARBOR FREIGHT!

I called customer care, told them I was not impressed and that I could have bought em for $5I each from harbor and that I expected more. They offered to return the items minus the cost I originally paid for shipping and at my expense to send back! So I told them sure and haven't bought one thing from them since.

Re: Brownell's scores F- on this one

Buy GOOD Quality taps and dies from MSC. Guhring, Balax, Emuge, etc.

Huge difference in cutting and longevity with a high quality tap, and use good tapping fluid.

For what it's worth the 8-40 spiral tap MADE IN USA brand from MSC is a very good tap too. It's a $40 tap but well worth it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddief</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Buy GOOD Quality taps </span>and dies from MSC. Guhring, Balax, Emuge, etc.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Huge difference in cutting and longevity with a high quality tap,</span> and use good tapping fluid.

For what it's worth the 8-40 spiral tap MADE IN USA brand from MSC is a very good tap too. It's a $40 tap but well worth it. </div></div>
THIS ^^^^^^
I spent a bunch of time and money trying out a whole array of taps before finding one for my specific application (AAYMWV) and size (6-40) that works well and lasts.

Yeah, they are $30+ but the $5 taps last about 1-2 holes.

Lacking a bazillion bucks in CNC gear, I don't have the luxury of saying, "Just thread mill the holes".
blush.gif

I hate Brownell's It has been my experience that they are higher priced than everyone else and slower to ship than Midwayusa.

Yeah I will have to try MSC, I haven't ordered new ones yet, I just pointed them. With a tolerance of +.001 -.000 I just wanted to chase them after about 90% cut. Using HHS 60 degree inserts helps but still want to chase to finish.

Surprising.
I recently posted a thread about great cs from them...IMO, this is a pretty big "issue"... I would have taken it up the food chain to ask purchasing WTF they're thinking(?)

As a real amateur that has learned the importance of quality bits/taps after busting off some cheap-ass Hanson taps from Home Depot in a reaallyy hard receiver, I can appreciate the need for quality here.

This isn't aluminum we're tapping...

No excuse for cheap Chinese shit, from the world's largest supplier to "gunsmiths".

They have great screwdrivers sets.....

If you want quality tooling like OSG / Greenfield taps your best bet is to use a tooling supplier like MSC, ENCO ( read carefully), or a host of others. Brownells is good for a lot of things and its also good they offered to take it back.

I had similar experience with them

Have to be very carefull with "house" brands today. Alot of times they end up being cheap junk. Brownells and alot of other companies may loose there credibility if not carefull.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbohatch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered 4 things from Brownell's recently that I was less than impressed with, taps and dies. I ordered a tap and die each for 1/2" 28 and 5/8" 24, to the tune of almost $120 after shipping. Manufacturer was listed as Brownell's. Having some confidence in them, now lost, I accepted the cost as a bit steep and paid the price. I anxiously awaited my package to arrive and was more upset than I have been in a while wheen I saw packing that was labled Pittsburg! As in HARBOR FREIGHT!

I called customer care, told them I was not impressed and that I could have bought em for $5I each from harbor and that I expected more. They offered to return the items minus the cost I originally paid for shipping and at my expense to send back! So I told them sure and haven't bought one thing from them since. </div></div>

Brownells is a very good company for a lot of things. However, if you want metal cutting tools, and good ones, you must buy from industial supply catalog companies. For example, your 1/2"-28 tap can be bought for $14 from McMaster, and it will be a good one, industrial grade. McMaster also has 5/8"-24, and a lot of other things...

If you are working in stainless, I would avoid imported taps. MSC and the others plainly state where the cutting tools come from. A quality tap will last many holes in stainless, where a discount import will give you about 1.5 threaded holes.

s

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c1steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....A quality tap will last many holes in stainless, where a discount import will give you about 1.5 threaded holes.</div></div>
For any who're paying attention, that there (.5) is a hugely important statement. Simply because, digging a busticated tap out of anything (especially stainless) is a PITA. But then, I was introduced to Broken Tap Extractors, but that is another story.

Short version is, don't buy crap. Just because two things may 'look' alike, definitely does not mean that they are the 'same thing'.

Since 1996 I have bought ~ $2k/ year from Brownells for my own guns.

I buy a lot of other stuff from other suppliers like MSC, J&L, Enco, CDCO, little machine shop, Midway, Midsouth, speedy metals, amazon, etc.

For me, Brownells is the best supplier for a wide variety of gun stuff.

Brownells as with any suppliers has it strengths and weaknesses. McMaster Carr, Enco for taps.

I wonder how much gas they burned going to harbor freight to get, then resale them to you? Shame on them.. Watch all resalers on this...