• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Budget 300 prc recommendations

wmvdg123

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2017
Albany, oregon
Thinking about trying to start shooting long range. My price point is about $1,000 unfortunately for the rifle. There are not as many factory rifles in 300 PRC. It looks like the three options below $1,000 would be a howa HS precision, a bergada HMR, or a browning xbolt.
Should I get one of these or save up some more money?
Thanks!
Wayne in Oregon

Thinking about trying to start shooting long range. My price point is about $1,000 unfortunately for the rifle. There are not as many factory rifles in 300 PRC. It looks like the three options below $1,000 would be a howa HS precision, a bergada HMR, or a browning xbolt.
Thanks!
Wayne in Oregon
Had a bergara shot great was happy with it for what it was. But i suggest to save up and build a rifle how you really want it. When i first started shooting long range i put together some rifles but time i got what i wanted spent double the money so id say start first with what you want its cheaper in long run. I recommend doing a remage that way you can build your own rifle at home and save a lot on costs

The Howa is fine, but the HS Precision stock isn't great for long range target shooting. No cheek riser and much more of a hunting profile. The Bergara is a solid rifle. I believe them to be one of the better values out there. Don't know enough about the X Bolt to comment.

You could pick up a Savage Desert Tactical in 300 WM for about $700 or so and then put a Shilen 300PRC barrel from Northland Shooters Supply on it.

The 300 WM will definitely take you out quite a ways and might suit your needs for quite a while.

Muke

These are great answers, I haven't thought of buying a win mag and re-barreling it That's a great point. What action is the best in general between Remington, Savage, howa, bergara etc?

are you hunting big game or just trying to ring steel? There is a place for heavy hitters but for learning on youd be much better off with a 6.5 creed.

regardless. there are some great budget guns out there. I like my bergara and I liked my RPR, its really hard to go wrong these days. I'd look for a good used deal on a SA caliber then go from there. if the recoil doesn't make you flinch then the cost of shooting a magnum will...

Thanks!
Wayne in Oregon

What sort of distance are you going to shoot regularly? 300 PRC, as awesome as it is, costs $3/shot for factory ammo and the powders it likes for reloading are relatively expensive and in short supply.

With a budget of $1000 for the rifle, what are you looking at for glass, and ammo over let’s say the next year?

my goal is long-range target shooting, not hunting. I had a savage 112 magnum 338 Lapua two or three years ago and hand loaded for it pretty amazing gun. I really have only shot 1200 yards because I live in Oregon and it's very difficult to shoot long distance here, but my dad lives in Utah and I want to shoot a mile or more, I was thinking of just getting another savage Lapua, but the 300 PRC seems to be the ballistic equivalent in a smaller action. I reload and of course that helps bring down the cost but I know that the 230 and 250gr atips are kind of expensive. I have a nightforce shv scope.

Last edited:
My 300 WM is a Remington 783 I had rebarreled With a Criterion match barrel From NSS. I put it in a Boyd’s stock. It’s my budget gun for long range steel, no competion planned for it. I handload 225 ELD-Ms for it. I tried a mile with it at Spearpoint Ranch last month and it hammered the one mile plate. I think the 225s will definitely reach much further.

if your just shooting for fun there are budget action that can get you there for less than a $1000. If you’re going to run it hard some of these other actions would work better.

Mike

I think a 300 win mag is way cheaper to shoot if you reload. Nss sells a 300 win mag match chamber .180 freebore go 28 inch barrel run the 225 eldm or 230 smk you will be happy. Nss sells actions also and you can throw it in a krg chassis

Build it heavy and with a brake no issues. My 7mm rem mag doesnt even move i make all my own spots

Build it heavy and with a brake no issues. My 7mm rem mag doesnt even move i make all my own spots
There are some really good 7mm bullets out there and the 7 Rem Mag will reliably get you to a mile with cheaper component costs.

There are some really good 7mm bullets out there and the 7 Rem Mag will reliably get you to a mile with cheaper component costs.
I've shot my 7mm Remington Magnum out to 1900 yards easy with the 197 smk. I actually like it more then my 300 win mag right now. But its cheaper to reload than 300 win mag

I was leaning towards getting a Savage 110 tactical and re-barreling as recommended in one of the above posts, however it seems that I would need to buy CIP magazines and a new metal adapter in order to use the 250gr atips. The win mag magazines are not long enough, this would probably add quite a bit of expense. I think I'm going to wait until Savage comes out with their long-range hunter in 300 PRC and then get that.

I was leaning towards getting a Savage 110 tactical and re-barreling as recommended in one of the above posts, however it seems that I would need to buy CIP magazines and a new metal adapter in order to use the 250gr atips. The win mag magazines are not long enough, this would probably add quite a bit of expense. I think I'm going to wait until Savage comes out with their long-range hunter in 300 PRC and then get that.
Why don't you just buy an action from northern Shooting Supply and a barrel and buy a chassis that CIP run 300 rum mags that's what I use for my 300 win or my 7nm Magnum then you get what you want and no wait? Dont have to buy a whole rifle and rebarrel it that actually costs more

Reactions: Dirty D
I thought of this, it looks like an action from NSS would be $500, barrel $325 or so, and then a chassis, seems like that would probably be at least $300. If I wait for savage long-range hunter I'll have a decent gun for $850 or so once they drop them price after a few months. I can easily throw on a new barrel once I burn out the first one.

Last edited:
I thought of this, it looks like an action from NSS would be $500, barrel $325 or so, and then a chassis, seems like that would probably be at least $300. If I wait for savage long-range hunter I'll have a decent gun for $850 or so once they drop them price after a few months. I can easily throw on a new barrel once I burn out the first one.
Do you really want a savage? I just ask because rem 700 are so easy to work on everything in the shooting world fits rem 700 so many options, triggers stocks ect

Howa makes barreled actions too.

I read that the Remington 700 long action actually isn't quite long enough to mag feed the 300 PRC and then it has to have some drilling done on the receiver. it seems that since Savage's bolt is free floated it doesn't need to be trued also which saves money.
I thought about the howa build, one poster said to get that and an oynx chassis, not sure if it would be more accurate than a savage, also would need to see if it could take CIP mags.

I read that the Remington 700 long action actually isn't quite long enough to mag feed the 300 PRC and then it has to have some drilling done on the receiver. it seems that since Savage's bolt is free floated it doesn't need to be trued also which saves money.
I thought about the howa build, one poster said to get that and an oynx chassis, not sure if it would be more accurate than a savage, also would need to see if it could take CIP mags.
I have a Remington 700 I did not true it it's it's an MPA chassis CIP mags and it runs fine the longest I could load to fit comfortably 3.730 possibly longer but my Remington 700 set up out shoots my custom tenacity and Bart line Barrel I've had good luck with the Remington 700 and CIP mag so far and I did not alter the action in any way to accept the magazines

I just built a 300 prc, if all you have is 1k I’d stay away and look at a cheaper round to shoot. just my 2 cents good luck

Out to 1200 yards u do not need a 300 orc. Friend shot his 6bra at 1300 this weekend no big issues. Learn how to read your wind get good dope no need for the big mag

If has to be 300 PRC, I would go the Howa route and put the action in an Oryx chassis with a MDT mag for 300 PRC. Buds Gun Shop has a heavy barrel with 5/8-24 thread end for 434.00$ Part Number HDAV3PRC. The Oryx chassis will cost you 399$ and the MDT mag 90$.

They used to have the same thing in 6.5 PRC which would be a better caliber rifle for starting out besides 6.5 Creedmoor.

Schw15 so you have a Remington long action and it works fine With CIP mags? Well that is good news that would probably be the best way to go then. I found a Remington long action for $350 that's not trued. What barrel did you go with? I could just probably go with a remage barrel from NSS. I know you have an MPA chassis, what do you think of the orxy vs a keg bravo?

Schw15 so you have a Remington long action and it works fine With CIP mags? Well that is good news that would probably be the best way to go then. I found a Remington long action for $350 that's not trued. What barrel did you go with? I could just probably go with a remage barrel from NSS. I know you have an MPA chassis, what do you think of the orxy vs a keg bravo?
I bought a used criterion barrel off of here and it shoots lights out. I like the remage criterion barrels i have a spare one ready to go. Yes i run cip mags i load my 7mm rem at 3.600 and everything works fine i have some others that are longer i will run them to double check for you but ive had great luck with mine. I like krg i have the whiskey 6 on my tenacity and love it. I cant comment on the bravo never had one but i almost bought one i like the looks but id lean towards bravo i think it takes cip idk if orxy does.

I loaded up one dummy round 3.763 and it worked fine later I'll load a couple up to run him through to make sure they run fine but I think 3.750 and Below will work perfect the Remington 700 I have was a 25 ought 6 long range and I bought the action from my gunsmith all he did was open the bold-faced up and add the extractor and a bigger bolt knob

I spoke with hill country, really nice guys, seemed to think that a rem action would need some machining to modify the receiver for 300prc. I would prefer a 700 action to savage. Don't know much about howa actions or if they are as accurate.

I spoke with hill country, really nice guys, seemed to think that a rem action would need some machining to modify the receiver for 300prc. I would prefer a 700 action to savage. Don't know much about howa actions or if they are as accurate.
Are you stuck on a 300 prc? Because factory ammo?

Why the 300 PRC, well first off I'm not an amazing shooter like I'm sure many of these people are on this forum. I'm mostly a uspsa guy, not great at that either. I've never taken part in a PRS match. I have six kids so my time is limited. I loved shooting my Lapua at distance it was so easy and I reload. I watch a lot of Mark and Sam after work. With most of their long-range work they just hit the target once, maybe twice. But with the PRC at 2700 yards they made three consecutive hits on one target and several consecutive hits on another. It seems like it just has great accuracy at distance. I want to try to shoot a mile or a mile and a half with my dad on the desert in Utah.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bandit320
Why the 300 PRC, well first off I'm not an amazing shooter like I'm sure many of these people are on this forum. I'm mostly a uspsa guy, not great at that either. I've never taken part in a PRS match. I have six kids so my time is limited. I loved shooting my Lapua at distance it was so easy and I reload. I watch a lot of Mark and Sam after work. With most of their long-range work they just hit the target once, maybe twice. But with the PRC they made three consecutive hits on one target and several consecutive hits on another. It seems like it just has great accuracy at distance. I want to try to shoot a mile or a mile and a half with my dad on the desert in Utah.
Im not claiming to be top shot or expect either. I dont shoot prs im more of a long range we have alittle group we shoot from 100 to 1900 yards for fun but i am going to be entering my first comp king of 1 mile at my local shooting range. We really test ourselves and shoot at way smaller targets than normal at distance. In the group we shoot 7mm rem mag 300 win mag x2 and a 7mm saum all do great at 1 mile. The 7mm rem mag did amazing at 1900 yards thats my rem 700 criterion barrel. By no means was i saying or thinking im expert just trying to help you out. Thats awesome man i also have 6 kids time is very hard to come by lol

Reactions: Mike 556
Why the 300 PRC, well first off I'm not an amazing shooter like I'm sure many of these people are on this forum. I'm mostly a uspsa guy, not great at that either. I've never taken part in a PRS match. I have six kids so my time is limited. I loved shooting my Lapua at distance it was so easy and I reload. I watch a lot of Mark and Sam after work. With most of their long-range work they just hit the target once, maybe twice. But with the PRC they made three consecutive hits on one target and several consecutive hits on another. It seems like it just has great accuracy at distance. I want to try to shoot a mile or a mile and a half with my dad on the desert in Utah.

If your primary use is ~1 mile shooting, then the 300 PRC is a great all-around round. Huge choice of bullets, able to shoot the heaviest of 30 cals, relatively (key word) inexpensive to load for, and now you can get ADG brass.

I put an area 419 hellfire on my factory tikka t3x .300 win mag with a ziess v4 and atlas bottom metal, area 419 20 min base, loaded up some 180 Berger hybrid elites 76g retumbo on Hornady brass, shot 3/4” 5shot groups repeatedly, sent a few 8” groups at 1000 and some 12” at 1300 and some 14” groups at 1650...I think I have $1800 into that rifle...buttttt I hate reloading belted mag...I need better brass life...could be a number of things...maybe I should try the 300 prc for better feeding too. Also the 300 win mag I was running out of room in an AICS mag when trying to seat 210 vlds .010 off the lands...so I can’t shoot Berger vlds accurately...but apparently tikka chambers are a bit long or have quite a bit of freebore...so I would personally say go with a 300 PRC...I think I will rechamber with a proof or bartlien hunting/featherweight contour

I can wholeheartedly endorse the Begara HMR, mine was used for $800 but already had a Larue 20 moa mount and a Larue rail on bottom for bipod and a zero impulse muzzle break installed. So even at Msrp price of $949 it’s a hell of a shooter at that price point and scoped it’s still around 10-10.5 lbs might not drag it to the top of rabbit ear pass for elk but doable for most hunting. And actually even for a mountain hunt- if one lost 10 pounds and did some conditioning a highly accurate 10 pound rifle with a GREAT trigger and smooth action is a WINNER!