• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Budget 308 AR10 Sub 3/4moa Build Thread

For those of you that have followed my various AR15 and AR10 builds they have all been with high end parts, custom barrels, etc. I decided to do a budget AR10 build to see how it stacks up accuracy wise to say my $3000+ MEGA/Bartlein... I will post the build and testing here in this thread. First up will be a 18" WIlson .308 416R SS Fluted Heavy Barrel 1/10. The goal for this barrel is 0.75moa or less. I will then test Rainier's brand new Mod2 6.5cm barrel.

Here is the budget build parts list

Aero Precision M5 308 Receiver Set - $189.99
18" Wilson 308 SS Fluted Barrel - $140.00
FailZero EXO Coated 308 BCG - $199.95
A2 Stock with Rifle Buffer/Spring - $69.99
Aero Lower Parts Kit No FCG - $45.00
Aero Upper Parts - $24.00
Geissele SD-E Trigger $180.00
Seekins AGB - $57.00
WMD Melonite Rifle Gas Tube - $16.50
ERGO Tactical Deluxe Grip - $39.00
I have an extra forend laying on the bench I will use but we can throw $200 in for it. Odin Works Keymod

Total Budget 308 Build Cost - $1161.00
Total Budget 6.5cm Build Cost - $1571.00
***(I wouldn't call this a budget 6.5cm build cost because the barrel is a high end $550.00 barrel I will be testing. You could get something like a Rainier Match 6.5cm barrel for $450 or a BA barrel for $315 and get the total cost down to $1450 or $1350).

If this Wilson 308 barrel shoots like all the WOA's that use WIlson blanks that I have or had in the past I dont think the 3/4moa goal will be hard to achieve with handloads . I am waiting to here back from my contact at Rainier what blank they used for their new MOD2 6.5cm Ultramatch barrel and what bolt its headspaced to. Their previous 6.5cm barrel used a Shillen blank and I believe was headspaced to a JP bolt.

awesome post brother :)

Very impressive groups from that barrel !!

Thanks for taking the time to do all these builds !

Dom,

Where do you source your AR10 barrels and parts? I usually use White Oak for my AR15 stuff, but don't see that they have much in the way of AR10 gear.

Dom,

Where do you source your AR10 barrels and parts? I usually use White Oak for my AR15 stuff, but don't see that they have much in the way of AR10 gear.

I source my build parts from various places like Primary Arms, Rainier, SLR, Geissele, JP, Rubber City Armory just to name a few. Barrels are a different story and depends on what Im doing.

Sometimes companies or shops send me barrels to test. If Im doing a budget build for the Hide or for a friend or someone local my go to is Wilson Arms 416R SS barrels as they have been proven barrels in various calibers over the years for me. WOA uses Wilson blanks;)

If Im building a precision AR15 I get a Bartlein cut rifled barrel from Compass Lake. If building an AR10 308/6.5cm for myself or someone that wants the best of the best I have Patriot Valley Arms spin me up a cut rifled barrel to my specs using a JP QPQ barrel extension headspaced to a JP or Rubber City bolt.

So really, it all depends on the task at hand and intended use of the rifle.

I'm gathering parts for an Aero Precision buid myself.

From your build list, you show a rifle length buffer tube and spring. So this was just a standard AR-15/M-16 length tube and spring, and that work fine? (Even though the .308 BCG is fractionally longer and Aero P is trying to sell a slightly/.5 inch longer buffer tube to give it more room to recoil into)

I am planning on an adjustable gas block, so will be able to tune the system a bit, and also have some tungsten weight so I can increase the weight of a std rifle buffer to 8 or 9 oz if needed.

What weight buffer did you end up with?

Huh? A rifle length buffer tube and spring is standard. A 308 rifle buffer is shorter than a ar15 rifle buffer.