• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buffer spring very tight on buffer

duckduckb00m

Private
Minuteman
May 5, 2023
Arkansas
Building a new AR10 in 6.5creedmore. I have a Geissele Super 42 braded rifle length buffer spring and a KynSHOT hyd buffer (RB5006).
When putting the buffer into the spring it is very tight up against the buffer. I have to force and "screw" the spring onto the buffer. It seems to cycle with the charging handle but i have not fired it. (Scared of messing it up lol)

Any idea if this is ok or what I should do about it? It should be a loose slip fit shouldn't it?

I will upload a picture when i get a chance.

Happyness is a tight buffer spring.

It'll be fine. Any interference fit will work itself out in the first 50 rounds or so

I thought you HAVE to use the Geissele buffer with the twisted wire recoil spring.
Because the twisted wire is "thicker" then a regular AR recoil spring.

From the webpage.. "The Super 42 spring and Geissele buffer are designed to work together as a set; the spring will not fit over a standard buffer. If installed with a standard buffer damage to the rifle or receiver extension will occur. )

From the webpage.. "The Super 42 spring and Geissele buffer are designed to work together as a set; the spring will not fit over a standard buffer. If installed with a standard buffer damage to the rifle or receiver extension will occur. )

Good to know. I did not see that warning. Thank you!

I would check and make sure you have the rifle spring and not the carbine by accident

Screenshot_20230505_163750_Chrome.jpg

it mentioned length not diameter. I reached out to geissele, ill update this when I hear back.

If these do not work together, would you keep the spring with a geissele buffer or change the spring and keep the Kynshot buffer?

Also thank you for all yalls help, this is my first build. Going to try to get into PRS style shooting.

Reactions: bfoosh006
Geissele pretty well just brushed me off when i told them what buffer I was trying to use. I tried to find it, but can anyone tell me what the diameter of a mil-spec buffer is?

One more question, would yall rather the kylshot buffer or the supper 42 spring? Looks like i will be returning one of them.

1683814936039.png

I run a JP Tuned and Polished Extra Power Large Frame Rifle Buffer Spring with the KynSHOT AR-10 7.62mm/.308 Buffer for Fixed Stocks.

Works great, no issues.

pocIgSe.jpg

jDGtmfA.jpg

how is that being brushed off
I felt that as soon as they saw anything not "standard" it was immediately assumed to be the problem. there were more emails with me trying to determine why this would not work and what diameter the buffer should be but was just set a list of links where I could buy a new buffer. (Brownells, Midway, …)

I run a JP Tuned and Polished Extra Power Large Frame Rifle Buffer Spring with the KynSHOT AR-10 7.62mm/.308 Buffer for Fixed Stocks.

Works great, no issues.
Good deal! I have one on order. Nice rifle BTW

Reactions: Clayman
One more question, would yall rather the kylshot buffer or the supper 42 spring? Looks like i will be returning one of them.

I have a super 42 H3 set up on a rifle. I don't particularly care for it over my A5 set ups that I have on most rifles. It's a loud buffer spring. No functional issues though.

Also, Do you like that american defense mount? I was looking at one just wanted to know your opinion.

I have them on a couple rifles. No complaints. I feel like they make great stuff at a reasonable cost. I have Reptilia, Badger, Geissele, etc as well.

I do like the modular mounts badger and Reptilia are doing though. Will likely just use those going forward.

Reactions: duckduckb00m
Geissele pretty well just brushed me off when i told them what buffer I was trying to use. I tried to find it, but can anyone tell me what the diameter of a mil-spec buffer is?

View attachment 8139143
TDP mil spec buffer body outside diameters, if you wanted to compare to the KynSHOT:

Lower area diameter, before finish:
0.692" (-0.010")

Diameter which captures the spring behind the spring stop, before finish:
0.786" (-0.010")

The mil spec finish is 0.001" (+/-0.0002")

TDP mil spec buffer body outside diameters, if you wanted to compare to the KynSHOT:

Lower area diameter, before finish:
0.692" (-0.010")

Diameter which captures the spring behind the spring stop, before finish:
0.786" (-0.010")

The mil spec finish is 0.001" (+/-0.0002")
Thank you! Where did you find this info, if you don't mind. I like to have it for the future.

The KynShot lower area measured 0.745" with a 53 thousands difference makes since why it wouldnt work

There was a review on 80% where they milled a Odin works buffer .030" to fit the Geissele 42.
My thought was to add a tungsten weight to the AERO buffer depending on the weight now, 18" barrel always suppressed stand weight Aero
BCG and Geissele. Ejection shows overgassed of course. I'll update