• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes building a 5R 308

hermnrob

Private
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2010
Sevierville, TN
New to site, rifle building & with computer so don't hold it against me. I would like to get any advise I can to help with build. This will be my first long range rifle build, it will be used for hunting & weekend shooting. So far I have purchased the 5R & Harris S-BRM with loc pod bipod. I have been pinching every penny for a year for the build. I have read as much as I can on optics from the forums & all the information is great. I do understand its in the eye of the beholder & the person shooting the gun when it comes to optics. So here is my question should I hold off on rifle tuning & the purchase of a A5 stock to spend the money to purchase a S&B scope instead of a nightforce.I also plan on purchasing EGW HD rings & Base for scope is this a good decision, haven't read any information on this site about EGW ring & base.

Re: building a 5R 308

Depends on how long it will take you to save for the Scope. I would skip the A-5 for now, put some decent glass on the rifle and start shooting. You can always upgrade the glass, and stock later. I'm in the process of doing it right now for my 5r.

Here and on other sites you can find some really good deals on gently used Nightforce scopes. You can't hardly go wrong with Nightforce.
As to rings and bases I prefer Seekins and/or Badger Ordnance. Seekins are great and very reasonably priced for a top quality product. Scott at Liberty Optics has them in stock with free shipping and is a stand up guy to deal with.

Danny

While there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Nightforce scopes, if you can afford an S&B by foregoing a few accesories/upgrades at this time, I would get the S&B and not think twice.

Once you have excellent glass like the S&B that you know you won't be wanting to "upgrade" or switch out in a year or so for "something better", then you can concentrate on the other rifle upgrades. Also, the S&B will hold its value better than the NF, so if, God forbid, you should chose to change scopes later down the road, you'll be able to get more money out of it when compared to a used NF.

As for the base/rings, there is nothing wrong with EGW stuff. It is good quality and should serve you well. I personally run Badger Ord bases and rings on most of my bolt rifles and I have always had excellent service from their gear. Just another company to consider. Whatever you do decide in terms of your base, I would recommend that you go ahead and get a 20MOA canted base. You may never need it, especially given the internal adjustment ranges of the NF and S&B scopes, but better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I have the money now if I don't purchase anything else. What is your advise on the EGW rings & base.

Welcome to the Hide.

If you want to save money there is nothing wrong with a NF. If and when you abolutely need FFP, and want a Gen II or Klein reticle, then go SB.

Have you tried an AICS? You probably won't need to bed the 5R into it and that will give you a cheaper option with the added possibility of parting it out or keeping it for other uses in the future.

An EGW base is fine. I like Badger rings, though, for the same reason as I do the AICS.

Looked at AICS but would like to keep the rifle as light as I can for hunting. My understanding is AICS weighs around 5 lbs & the A-5 cant be purchased as low as 2.5 lbs.

There will no chance of changing out optics once the rifle is build an optics are mounted.Im the type of person that keeps everything an I try my best to make it right the first time. That the reason Im here getting the information from the expert to prevent additional cost to build an to learn.

I think the most underated stock out there right now is the Bell and Carlson Light tactical

Stockys Stocks has them in.
http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-304/bell-carlson-tactical-remington/Detail

You can sell your factory stock and replace it with this for
not much more if any. It's tough and lightweight. You can send it to Badger Ordnance and have them modify it for you and have the stock and Badger Ordnance M5 DBM for AICS mags for just a little over the cost of a standard McMillan.

Heres a pic of one

700LTRcamo.jpg

Spend the rest on good optics. I'm a fan of US Optics myself.
But I like S & B also.

Thanks for the info on the stock, now which location is best to purchase a S&B scope & any info on cera coating the rifle.

Sport optics has the lowest price on S&B scopes that I've found so far. SWFA has a 110% low price guarantee they say they will beat any price, has anyone tried the low price guarantee.

I would personally keep the stock. My 5R is fine with the stock it came with.
I went with a Badger 20 base and Badger rings.

i have a 5r milspec and boy does it shoot.

i would not change out the stock unless it does not fit you. the stock is solid. i was thinking the same thing you were then i shot with it and it fit me well and i am keeping it.

shoot with the stock first for a couple of hundred rounds and then decide if you want to change it out. you may like it.

i would spend the dough on a high end scope base/rail

here's the catch

are you going to get a magazine system/dbm then get a 1 piece base. badger ordnance all the way in this case 20 moa extended style

if you are not going to get a magazine sysytem/dbm then get a 2 piece base. i would look at the night force 2 piece 20 moa styled one for this case.

as for a scope i shoot with a kahles 3.5-10x50 helia cl multi zero and the glass is out of this world in clarity.

what this rifle really likes is a 175-178 grain bullet ill send you me recipe for what i do it like 2500 fps w/ a 178 grain amax bullet over imr 4895 w/ cci standard rifle primers

reload for this gun. this is the best way to get top accuracy out of the 5r barrel

i don't use a bipod but use a sand bag when i shoot. cheaper to do this then buy a bipod

I would also skip th S&B optic and go with the Nightforce. Not because NF is a better optic but it would free up a grand or more which would allow you to purchase all of your reloading equipment and help you get started shooting that 5R. I would also go with Seeking base/rings. They are the best in the buisness in my opinion.

swfa it has to be a advertised price which most companies won't do when they are pricing scopes as cheap as they can. sport optics is good to go.

Save your money and get either a s&b or a hensoldt you won't regret it. the only mod i would do to your rifle is a new bolt knob and egw base with seekins rings. this way when you deciede you are ready for a custom just sell the 5r and buy a full custom. it will make life alot simpler and allow you to spend more time shooting which is the important part.

I bought 3 5R's for my boys as they come of age and had to try them all out
smile.gif
. All of them shot 1/2 MOA (black hills 175's) but I couldn't resist tinkering with them anyway.

Best improvement for the money was to have Dave Sullivan of Westwind rifles tune the triggers and set them to 2.5 lbs. ($60). I then had him flute the barrels for a better weight and balance and had him bed the actions in Devcon S ($275). Did this make a huge difference? It's hard to tell - as it is the difference between a 1/2 MOA and a 1/3 to 1/4 MOA rifle. Most of us can't hold that well.

I would get the best scope you can afford (I vote for The S&B) as stocks come and go but the good glass will last you the rest of your life ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: handym3000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have a 5r milspec and boy does it shoot.

i would not change out the stock unless it does not fit you. the stock is solid. i was thinking the same thing you were then i shot with it and it fit me well and i am keeping it.

shoot with the stock first for a couple of hundred rounds and then decide if you want to change it out. you may like it.
</div></div>

+1 I like the HS Precision stock it came with.

Snowtop, you mentioned that you are "the type of person that keeps everything an...try my best to make it right the first time." Well, IMO you can do slightly better than EGW the first time--not that EGW is bad, in my experience their bases are pretty good. But you should get Seekins base and rings (at the very least get Seekins rings.) The best at any price. Near Mfg. is also very nice.

Thanks for all the information, I plan on purchasing Seekins ring but I'm still going to purchase the EGW HD base.

I have a 5r too, like stated, don't change the stock, the hs stock on them are good. Buy glass first, shoot the gun after a couple thousand rounds you will know what you want in a stock. My advice see if you can't find someone that will let you shoot their gun with a different style stock before you go buy one. Put money into glass and bullets first. You can buy a karsten cheekpiece and put it on yourself. The m5 dbm, you can install it yourself if you have a dremel, I just did it. Good luck

I had considered putting mine on something different but listened to many here and decided to keep it as is and spend the money on ammo.

While you're waiting for that 3x20 to come out, you might keep an eye out in the for sale section on the Hide. You could find a good deal. I got a like new S&B 4x16x42 for a good price. I changed out my HS stock and went with the AICS because of the palm swell, but that was a personal decision. See how you like the HS and then make the call. The 5R is a great out of box shooter.

There's nothing wrong with buying the best. If that's what you want and are willing to wait, go for it. You won't regret it. I'd just like to add that a 5R with a NF is an excellent rifle and scope. That combo will do anything that can be done with the .308 Winchester. No weaknesses, no handicaps. Especially not for weekend shooting and hunting.

Only some small things, such as better trigger, better bolt handle I would consider doing. For me the stock is just fine. Offers plenty of accuracy and rigidness. I'd just add a cheek rest and it's perfect.

I agree with one of the earlier replies, put the savings toward reloading equipment (or ammo). All too often, this area is neglected, despite it being the most important of all. Ammo is going to be the biggest expense in the long run. Having a plentiful supply of good ammo is critical to developing skills. That is, if you're going to do the kind of shooting that will wear out the barrel. If this is a safe queen for an occasional range trip or hunting, disregard my comments. I know guys that put S&B's on GAP's and only run 20rds of FGMM through it every 6 months. Everybody views this hobby differently.

Yes this will be a hunting an weekend shooter but I shoot every weekend if I can. I plan on burning the barrel as much as posible an once I'm Comfortable with long distance I'll try a few local competition. There is a very nice range for long distance shooting about 50 miles from me.

Interesting comments. I, as well, am building a 5R .308 and find this information valuable. Thanks to those who commented.

We have set up a lot of 5R with an AI stock, Nightforce scopes and the guys loving them. The S&B scopes are a great way to go also.

634_Vinnys_20Phantom_205R.JPG

Mike @ CST

Thanks Mike, very nice rifle. What knid of finish does it have. I Have question about ceracoat pricing & have found some information about duracoat. I would like to cover ss barrel on mine.

I have not tried an AI, but considered it down the line when I want to go BDM. That said I won't go that route until I find one locally I can play with.

I also agree the 5R need a coating of some sort unless it's never gonna see real field work.

For some reason the Krylon cans get closer all the time. I just haven't taken the time lately.

If it's a hunting rifle I might suggest you think hard about the AICS and weight. Alumahyde-II is a great non-bake option for coatings that stand up better than Krylon. If you want to take it off just use WipeOut (the bore cleaner) and it supposedly comes off quickly.

I'm trying to trade out of a 5R right now for no reason beyond being a lefty. The stocks they come with are very good. For a weekend shooter and a hunting rifle I would actually hesitate to get rid of the HS Precision that's on there.

Be sure to actually handle whatever stock you're considering before you buy it. I thought for years that I'd like a lefty AICS until I got behind one. I liked the Manners better and have since bought the Manners. Don't take this as a knock to the AICS, it's a personal preference. I'm just saying it as an example of how what I thought I wanted wasn't what I really liked when push came to shove.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snowtop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Mike, very nice rifle. What knid of finish does it have. I Have question about ceracoat pricing & have found some information about duracoat. I would like to cover ss barrel on mine.</div></div>

www.phantomfinishing.com

Mike @ CST

I just looked at cerakote finishes from GCS & NIC Industries Inc. The gallery at both site are awesome but I'll will hold off until I make a decision on stock. Could not find pricing at NIC but GCS wasn't as bad I thought it would be too have done.

Bohem, dont know where i would be able to handle stock before purchase, hoping local dealer or gunsmith would have something. I don't want to waste the money. thanks

If you're new to LR shooting and haven't had much time behind various rifles and scopes my recommendation would be:

-If the OEM stock fits you, keep it, put a stock pack on it and have it inlet for a AICS mag DBM (Badger, CDI, etc)
-Buy top quality base. (Seekins, Badger, NF, Near, etc).
-Buy a used NF 3.5-15 or 5.5-22 riflescope with appropriate rings.
-Spend remaining $$$ on reloading components and trigger time.

Spend a year or a barrel, shooting this setup, shooting matches, looking at other setups, trying other setups, learning what you like/need and what you don't like/need. That setup will not handicap you in any way and then after a year of shooting matches you will KNOW exactly what you want. If what you currently have isn't it, you will easily be able to sell the scope, stock, etc. for your real custom build.

buffy hit it right on IMO.

I don't know where you're located, there might be a dealer close enough for you to take a drive over. There's an AICS dealer about 2.5 hours from me in PA, if I was looking at dropping big $$ like that on a stock I'd make that trip for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snowtop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bohem, dont know where i would be able to handle stock before purchase, hoping local dealer or gunsmith would have something. I don't want to waste the money. thanks </div></div>

This is why many members have been asking people to fill in their profiles before asking bunch of questions. I've seen so many nice folks here that have offered to meet with new shooters at ranges to give advices, and check out equipments.

Let us know your location, if you are near me, I have an AICS in the 5r .308 that you can get behind it and see if it fits you.

This isn't the place per say but since it came up if someone I'm N.W. Ohio has an AICS I can fondle please let me know..

Opeagle- If you come to Thunder Valley Precision next Sat or Sun there's going to be at least 1 AICS there for sure, I'll have a Manners T5/A, several guys have McMillans. I'm sure they'll let you take a look and "fondle"

If you have a rifle you can shoot on the course, Tom Sarver is hosting a newbie day on the range. I drove out from the Philly area last month for it, I'm hooked and coming back out to assist this month. 7 hours each way, it's definitely worth it IMO.

Wow, that's quite a haul from Philly.

Unfortunately it looks like work is going to get in the way of the Newbie day.

Snowtop one other coating you might want to look at is Birdsong. Look up any Tac Ops rifle that is what they use to coat their rifles, rings, and bases. Limited to three solid colors but tough as nails.

Thanks I'll get up to speed with info. I have a friend who reloads everything he shoots, his advise was to purchase ammo due to brass, lead & powder etc. cost going up plus time it take out of your day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snowtop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks I'll get up to speed with info. I have a friend who reloads everything he shoots, his advise was to purchase ammo due to brass, lead & powder etc. cost going up plus time it take out of your day. </div></div>

Is he loaded or just doesn't shoot a whole lot?

Don't know how much he shoots, really I only know his brother & have only talked to him a few times about reloading. Remember I'm just a newb, I mostly shot 17, 22, 243 & 30/06 cal, at a 100 yards. I'll shoot 30/06 to three hundred but I usually shoot in a 100 yard chicken house well until it burnt down a few weeks ago. I use small target like bullet shells & flip steel target. But I do shot alot, maybe this can help you help me. Watched a show last night or night before about reloading but I only saw half of it an they were only talking about equipment at that time not saving money by reloading.

Contrary to popular belief, reloading doesn't save money overall, it just allows you to shoot more. Per round it's much cheaper and you can potentially make significantly better ammo than factory.

Consider that you can be setup reasonably to produce high quality match 308's for about $300 in equipment and roll your own ammo for about $50/100 rounds depending on powder and bullet choice, it doesn't take long for that $300 investment in equipment to pay back. How much does a case (500) of FGMM 175 cost?

Haven't called yet but "I've been told" match grade 308 175g is $550 for 500 rds from American Ballistic so after first 500 equipment will be paid for. Thanks Bohem

Another stock option to think about - I traded my stock to a friend for an LTR stock, which I prefer. We both ended up with what we wanted and I ended up $$ ahead.