• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building a 6.5x47 Rifle a Few Questions

JMcBurn

Private
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2013
Toledo, OH
So, I am building a 6.5x47 barreled action on a spare T3 action to swap into my MPA chassis for matches with longer ranges or more wind.

The questions I have are:
1. Looking at a doing a 26" hawk hill, any reason to go with a 1-7.5 over 1-8 for the 140gr ELD-M?
2. Any suggestions on a brake? I've heard good things about the area 419 break. I want something to knock down the recoil that isn't so crazy concussive behind the rifle.
3. How much brass do you suggest buying to burn the barrel?
4. Planning on running H4350 any problems with that? (have H4350 already)

Last edited:
1. A half inch of twist will make no difference whatsoever.

2. The 419 is a top shelf brake. Very elegant design as well. You’re getting way more for your money over comparable user timed brakes imo.

3. Depends on you how you treat it ultimately. 200 pieces ought to do easily.

4. Many people run that without issues.

1) Like Supersubes said, your half inch of twist won't make a difference. For that matter, 140 ELD-M's are designed to be shot out of 1-8 twist barrels since they are a popular factory ammo option (and people who shoot factory ammo usually have the factory 1-8 twist rate). I personally have used a 1-8 twist barrel all the way up to the 150 SMK's and not experienced any problems even though Sierra recommends a 1-7 twist for them.

Go for the lower twist and you'll get a little bit more velocity without any risks of less stability. If you want to try to shoot the Berger 156gr bullet maybe go for the 1-7 or 1-7.5 twist, but honestly that bullet is meant for the 6.5 SAUM or 6.5 PRC and will perform poorly out of a 6.5x47. A 1-8 twist barrel works fine for the 150 SMK, or at least it did for me (I shot them at between 2800-2850 fps).

2) The 419 brake is definitely effective, I would have no qualms about using one.

3) 100 pieces of brass would last you long enough to burn out the barrel if you're using standard loads. The Lapua brass for 6.5x47 and 6.5 Creedmoor is capable of lasting 20+ firings even if you're shooting pretty hot loads. I, personally, like to have 300 pieces of brass though so that I always have enough to shoot a match (some two day matches have round counts of up to 250 or so) so that's more of a concern to me than my brass lasting long enough to burn out a barrel.

4) H4350 is one of the preferred powders for most 6.5mm calibers, and it should work well with your 6.5x47. Generally bullets in the 130-140gr range work best with it, just because slightly slower powders like RL-16 can get more velocity out of the 147 ELD-M and the 150 SMK (where low velocity is usually the reason that people avoid those bullets).

1- The 1:8 twist will stabilize the 140gr ELD-M w/o problems.
2- Area 419 is an awesome brake.
3- 200 Lapua cases will outlast your barrel life.
4- H4350 is a very good powder for the 6.5x47.