• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building a Light Weight tactical rifle... ideas??

Ackley Improved

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2006
AUSTRALIA
I am thinking about starting another project, this time a light weight tactical style rifle. I would like to use it for hunting, and in particular strapping to a backpack for extended days out.

So far thinking this, and after checking out components... if you have any other thoughts please add. With the below, complete with scope/bipods it should be a shade under 10lbs.

Pierce S/A and 20MOA rail
Manners T3 90% carbon stock with molded in colour
Proof Research 22" #7 profile carbon wrap barrel
PTG floor plate for extended wyatt box
Nightforce ultra lite rings
Premier Light Tactical 3-15.
Harris bipods

Any thoughts on light weight floorplates, DBM systems?

It would be chambered in 308W.
Cheers

Re: Building a Light Weight tactical rifle... ideas??

You could replace the Harris bipod with a GG&G lightweight unit and save some weight there. I had one on a Savage that I purchased a few years ago and it was considerably lighter than the Harris.

...Or save a butt ton of $$$ and go with a Tikka Varmint .308, (which is already a rather lightweight rig)cut it to whatever length you desire,flute if you wish, purchase as many 5 round mags as needed, scope it and start hunting.

500ydrogersonhaystackdog.jpg

For super light, try the T3 lite stainless .308. I topped mine with a 2.5-10x24 NF. For hunting in alpine environments or anywhere that cutting weight matters, but so does performance, it rocks.

007-8.jpg

070-1.jpg

The barrel was trimmed back to 20"s.

Steep mountains to high desert, it has become a favorite "all around, practical rifle".

In a couple of thee pics it wears a 4.5-14 Leupold that ended up on anothe custom Tikka. The 2.5-10x24 NF is the perfect match for the little .308.

LostRiverRangeOct08027-1.jpg

001-2.jpg

I realize that this may have not been your intended direction, but it may be something to give consideration. More and more after market products are available for these tack drivers.

I have yet to see a .308 Tikka that would not shoot well below sub MOA right out of the box. It makes life easy.

Good call mate.. good call... might be an easy way out, and with Tikka DBM for AI mag's... and also a cheap rifle I dont really care bashing around either.

Never owned a Tikka T3 so dont know anything about the accuracy people are getting... but might be all I need!

Can waste coin else where, like on the car I am rebuilding... rear coilovers..

Cheers

In regards to accuracy, Tikka has a guarantee of 3 shots at MOA or better. I have a few in the stable. They all do better.

Here is a pic of my hunting load, which is a 165 grain Sierra hollow point Gameking, fueled by Varget. I was shooting off the porch of my cabin, which is a couple thousand (and change) feet higher elevation than my home, so needed to re-adjust my zero. As you can see, it was doing well:

089.jpg

Normally I do not shoot that well. But you get the point. The guns can, if the driver can hold the wheel straight.

The hollowpoint Gamekings also fly straight for a bullet that has the ballistic characteristics of a pumpkin.

This is an old picture of a couple of Mulies @ 598 yards, but, once again, you get the point. It is a decent bullet.

2005Deer598yds308Tikka.jpg

I was just trying to stay on track with the OP's original plan. With that said, I wanted to recommend the Tikka as well for it's light weight. I've had a .308 Varmint for about a year now and if I do my part it will print very good groups. It seems to prefer the 150gr factory stuff over the 168gr or 180gr factory loadings but I hope to work a good pet load for my rifle in the very near future.

Agreed, I'd go Tikka T3 with CDI bottom metal if it is important, but if not, straight from the factory with the plastic mags work fine (and less weight which is the whole point right?).

Titanium Remington action, go to 16" on the barrel,
You won't give up THAT much velocity, but it will be much lighter and handier.

Have fun,

-Bob

I was just shooting my T3 at the range this morning checking for different POI shifts between muzzle devices.

My Tikka T3 Lite in 6.5x55 weighs 8.25 lbs with a Bushnell 10x40 scope (DNZ Gamereaper 1 piece base/rings) and a Harris 6-9" bipod. The action is the smoothest of any gun I've ever handled. There are some drawbacks, such as the stock integrated recoil lug and not many aftermarket options, but for what you want it sounds ideal and cheap also.
-Dan

Here's how I'd build it:

T3 %90 carbon
defiance machine action with AW mag cut
18.5" rem sendero contour Bartlein barrel
Seekins AICS bottom metal
Seekins rings
Atlas bipod
March-F 3-24x42 scope or NXS 2.5-10x32 if you wanted even less weight than the march (premiers are heavy)
2 stage trigger possibly a Huber

I'd be tempted to go 7-08 instead of .308 myself, I like the Carbon wrapped barrel idea just on the fence about them at the moment

When considering a light tactical styled stock I would choose McMillan over Manners. Both McMillan's HTG and A1-3 with Edge fill are lighter than the MCS-T with carbon fiber fill.

This may not be the case when comparing their Sporter models.

I would also choose BDL over DBM:
Badger Ord. M4 Alloy (SA): ~0.2 lbs
Badger Ord. M5 (SA w/ empty 5rd mag): ~0.65 lbs

DBMs look cool, but are not really necessary unless the rifle will be used in certain competitions or war. Weight aside, I also prefer BDL for their simplicity and the fact they leave the bottom of the rifle flat. One less thing digging in your back when carrying it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lonely_Wolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When considering a light tactical styled stock I would choose McMillan over Manners. Both McMillan's HTG and A1-3 with Edge fill are lighter than the MCS-T with carbon fiber fill.
</div></div>

Bingo. Here's my idea of a lightweight tactical/hunter. Jon Beanland built 6.5X47 Lapua. It weighs just under 12 pounds fully equipped as you see it in the pic. Drop the suppressor and you're right at your weight goal. You could also go with a #16 Light Palma profile instead of the Rem Varmint contour as well as using CDI precision bottom metal instead of the Surgeon to save even more weight. That McMillan Edge stock is the key. At ~24 ounces, it is 10 ounces lighter than the T3 90% carbon fiber Manners!

-McMillan A1-3 Stock in "Edge" Construction 2 flushcups and a bipod stud painted Flat Dark Earth
-Surgeon DBM Bottom Metal
-Surgeon 591 Action
-Small-firing-pin-hole Surgeon Bolt w/FP turned down to match
-Shilen Trigger at 2.5 pounds
-18.5 inch Lilja 3 groove 8 twist
-Sendero/Varmint Contour Fluted and threaded for my Omega
-Viper PST 4x16x50 FFP MOA
-Coated in Coyote Tan CeraKote
Beanland_6_5X47_002_crop.jpg

I have been working on one my self.
This is what I came up with:

Rem. short action (worked)
Badger bolt handle
22" Rock Bbl. Med. palma contour.
Manners T-3 w/ Mini chassis. (5rd. mag)
Badger 20 MOA rail
Night force NSX 6.5x22x50
TAB sling.
harris br/s biood.

I plan on useing this rig. for tactical comps. and a antelope hunt next year.

This is just my experience on the suject.
Hope it helps!

LOBO 151

Ackley Improved sounds like your going to have a really nice setup.

Mackay Sagebrush Tikki are great off the shelf rifles I love the one I have.

Here is a my setup with the PR Light Tactical.
<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3ZsBpuuKW7I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mike @ CST

Plus 1 on the tikka for a light rifle. Trigger is fabulous with a twist of a screw, bolt as slick as it gets and if your not a fan of the stock Bell & Carlson is offering a nice replacement for about $200 at most of the dealers. CDI has dbm for the Tikka and will inlet your stock for a very reasonable cost.

Here is a shot of the BC stock on the left vs OEM on the right, much beefier with the bedding block and only a couple ounces heavier.
985059d1.jpg

may also want to consider an ADL style magazine to avoid the bottom metal completely and shed a bit more weight. How much value/benefit do you find in a BDL bottom?

There is no bottom metal. Solid undercarriage of stock material.

Oh ok, do you know if they make any for the new Win. 70's, mine came with a floorplate?

I recently had GA Precision put one together for me in 6.5 Creedmoor as follows:

Rem 700 TI Action
Rock/ABS Carbon Fiber wrapped 26" M40 Contour 6.5mm 1/8 Twist
Badger M5
Manners MCS-T 90% Carbon Fiber
Murphy's Precision 20MOA Base
Jewell trigger

W/O Optics it weighs like 6.5LBS

Lobo151- Does your T3 have the CF fill? If not, that rifle doesn't sound particularly light...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSKevin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> How much value/benefit do you find in a BDL bottom? </div></div>

One benefit of BDL is being able to unload without cycling the rounds. Also, BDL is easier to clean because the magazine can be opened allowing access through top and bottom. With ADL it is easier for debris to build up inside. Only way to really get an ADL clean is to take the rifle apart. YMMY.