• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building a rifle, need trigger suggestion

snarlbuckle

Private
Minuteman
May 17, 2010
I know this thread is similar to many others on this forum, so please bear with me. My research hasn't turned up much information on this topic.

I need advice on choosing a trigger.

Factors in order of importance:
1) Reliability
2) Crispness/lack of creep
3) pull weight

Rifle:
- Remington 700 Short Action, chambered in .308
- Manners T5 stock
- M5 Stealth DBM
No other features are important for the purpose of this discussion.
The rifle hasn't been assembled yet, the parts will be waiting for me when I get back from Afghanistan.

I would like to have a safety, but I won't loose a minute of sleep if it won't fit.

To boil it all down, I'm looking for a crisp, reliable trigger with a pull weight between 1-3lbs. Bonus points for triggers that perform well in adverse conditions.

I like the Huber cause I can easily change pull weight, convert from single- to two-stage, and adjust 1st stage pull length however it suits my preference. The shoe is rounded and very comfortable.

Otherwise, a smith-tuned old-style R700 works great.

I'm a fan of Jewell triggers. They feel great and have never let me down. I have several and none have given me any sort of issue. You may have to open up the mortise where the trigger sits in the stock but they perform in a most excellent manner.

I have had Jewell triggers in the past and now run Timney triggers. I prefer the wider shoe and they have proven to be every bit as reliable as the Jewell triggers I ran previously.

I'll pass on Jewell.

I blew off many other peoples' reports of them failing in poor conditions. Thinking I was smarter than everybody else, I bought one. It failed (wouldn't release) when it started to dry out after being rained on all morning at a match.

Ive got 3 Jewells, Id buy another today if I wanted a single stage trigger, Ive got a CG tactical trigger, and for a 2 stage its awesome, but 100 bucks more than a Jewell.

I think that you can't go wrong with either a Timney or a tuned Remington. Jewel triggers are nice but too expensive for the marginal boost in performance they deliver.

I like the idea of just tuning a factory trigger. Thanks for the help!

The only thing I have ever ran is Timney and old style remy's. I have never had any problems with either all tho the Timneys seem to be easier to tune for the most part.

I think that you can't go wrong with either a Timney or a tuned Remington. Jewel triggers are nice but too expensive for the marginal boost in performance they deliver.

Are you kidding me? You can adjust a Jewell down to 1.5oz and you call that a marginal boost in performance?? Now if this rifle is going to be used for hunting a Rem or Timney trigger would be just fine, target work, especially benchrest comp, Jewell rules.

It all depends on what you want to do with it. Is this a rifle to just shoot at the range? Is this going to be an F class or bench gun? Is this a tactical match rifle, will you be hunting with it? To me all these questions are very important on what trigger you choose and what weight you set it at. If its going to be a f class or bench gun or something you just shoot at the range I would say any of the above mentioned would do you well, Jewel, Timney, or even a tuned Remington. If this is going to be a hunting or tactical match type rifle I would go with an old style Remington. Go to a few tactical matches especially areas like Texas or Wyoming or Oklahoma and watch and see how many rifle failures there are from dirt or crap in the trigger. If you are running in a dirty environment Remington triggers are hard to beat for reliability for a 700 or 700 style customs. I cant tell you how many Timneys and Jewels I have seen fail in the field from a little dirt. This is not to say that a Remington wont just seems to be a little better. I build rifles and you can get a great crisp, clean break with no over travel with a good 2 pound pull out of a Remington. I am not trying to slam Timney or Jewel or any others here. They are all great triggers and in my opinion from building many rifles and shooting many matches this is my opinion. Im sure there will be many that disagree with me as everyone has different experiences. Im not trying to start a pissing match as this is one of those topics that can be disputed forever and has been many times. Just my .02

I'm running a tuned remmy trigger myself. 2.0 on the trigger gauge, and its like a glass rod when it breaks, very crisp.

whats the Marine Corps use on their M40A5"s for a trigger? And is the Army using a Factory Remington Trigger of sorts or what?

Factors in order of importance:
1) Reliability
2) Crispness/lack of creep
3) pull weight

I would like to have a safety, but I won't loose a minute of sleep if it won't fit.

To boil it all down, I'm looking for a crisp, reliable trigger with a pull weight between 1-3lbs. Bonus points for triggers that perform well in adverse conditions.

MY Timney is all these. On a Rem 700 SA 6.5Creed.

And I too like the wide shoe. IMO it kinda forces me into a better trigger press.

Are you kidding me? You can adjust a Jewell down to 1.5oz and you call that a marginal boost in performance?? Now if this rifle is going to be used for hunting a Rem or Timney trigger would be just fine, target work, especially benchrest comp, Jewell rules.

No, I'm not kidding you. Let's be clear here ... OP said he wants something w/ a 1-3 POUND pull weight. He specs of his build are clearly tactical in nature. He is not building a benchrest gun. For a tactical rifle, I stand my position, and I believe I'm in good company. Benchrest, different story.

2 stage IMHO better than single

Huber is my choice
2stage allows much more control IMHO

2 stage IMHO better than single

Huber is my choice
2stage allows much more control IMHO

I have also become a real fan of 2 stage triggers. Never thought that would happen. I became a fan after picking up an OBR with a Geissele trigger installed. I was surprised by how much I liked the ability to pick up the target, actuate the first stage, quickly refine my sight picture, and then break that lighter crisp second stage. I agree with Jedi about the feeling of more control. Never shot a Huber - I like my CG...

As for reliability, I shot a Jewell in my .308 for years in dry dusty eastern WA. Never had a single issue with it. I also know guys who have had Jewells fail on them in the field. Alot of guys like Timney. I've never cared for them myself. Just a blondes or brunettes type thing there.

I'll stick with my post above: single stage = Jewell; 2 stage = CG

I have Jewells in two Rem 700 varmints and they work great. But I'm having a third Rem 700 trigger (X-Mark Pro) tuned by a 50-year veteran gunsmith who has been begging me to let him have a whack at improving on it and trying to match the Jewells and Timneys. I'm not betting against him: $70 for tuning vs. $240 for Jewell. I'll let y'all know.

I have both Timney and Jewell, they both function fine. The Jewell is a bit more predictable. Funny how these threads always turn into a "dog on Jewell" thread and its curious how Jewells always fail at competitions. Not saying they dont, just that I shoot in some pretty shitty conditions, from snow to high wind dust buckets (teeth crunchin and bolt grinding). I have yet to have my Jewell fail. Then again I always pm/ function check my rifle the night before going out.

It would be nice if someone could do some field testing of a Remmy, Timney, and Jewell and see which one failed first. Something like an old donor rifle, freeze it, dunk it in water, roll it in dirt, cake it in mud. Hell there are videos of guys nailing tent posts with a $3000 optic, why not. Just not gonna be me.

I've got a Huber and it's sweet but not adjustable as far as I know (1lb first stage and an additional 1lb for break.) You hardly notice the first stage, but it really helps in "setting" your grip so that the squeeze doesn't upset the sights as much as it does on a 2lb single stage. Hard to explain.
I've also got a Timney straight trigger and, while nice and crisp, doesn't seem nearly as solid as the Huber.

Forgot to ask: Those of you who have used CG triggers, have you ever experienced any failures with them? I really like some of the features they offer but went with the Huber because of some posts I had read about the CG breaking.

whats the Marine Corps use on their M40A5"s for a trigger? And is the Army using a Factory Remington Trigger of sorts or what?

Pretty sure the Marine Corps is still using a factory tuned trigger.

I'm 99% sure they're Remingtons. If you go to GAP's website, their "clone" builds use tuned remingtons.

I've got a Huber and it's sweet but not adjustable as far as I know (1lb first stage and an additional 1lb for break.) You hardly notice the first stage, but it really helps in "setting" your grip so that the squeeze doesn't upset the sights as much as it does on a 2lb single stage. Hard to explain.
I've also got a Timney straight trigger and, while nice and crisp, doesn't seem nearly as solid as the Huber.

The allen screw in front adjusts 1st stage pull length (eliminate pull length to make it single stage).

Remove that and under is a 2nd allen screw that controls pull weight.

If in doubt, give John Huber a call. Nice guy and real responsive if you need anything.

No experience with the Jewell, but really enjoy the Timney. Note that if you are putting this in a Manners T5, it is not quite a drop in fit, some material must be removed. Let Manners know beforehand,and they will make the adjustment cleanly and for free.