• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bullet jump

latigers

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2013
I have a remington .308 heavy barrel. I guess they all have a long throat wihich makes for a long bullet jump or a single shot rifle.Would it be practical to have the barrel removed and the chamber recut to bring the lands closer. What kinda of price are we talking about and is this done very often.

not with a factory barrel. You can if you want, but you could save the money, invest it in ammo, or a new barrel then sell the factory one for 50 bux.

but honestly just find what your gun likes, my old factory barrel shot great up till about 6300 rounds or so then just went down hill very fast. The throat on it was about 4 inches long before it just stopped shooting accurately all together.

I my experience if you are shooting 168g-180g match kings, 168g berger vlds or 155g-168g a-max they all seem to jump well in my 2 Remington 308 chambers between a COAL of 2.810" and 2.830"

IMHO, Remington factory barrels are not worth setting back, rather just replace the barrel... more efficient use of your money as you will be a third to half way there.

Last edited:
I will say that it worked for me. I had a 1 1/2 MOA rifle (Rem XCR long range/tactical .308, factory barrel, fluted stainless) with a throat that was about .360" deep. A 168gr SMK was out of the case before it got into the rifling. Had it set back .500" and rechambered with a 168 gr. FGMM as the intended round. Now it shoots 100 yard 1/2" 5 shot groups if I do my part. BUT..... If I had had to pay a smith to rechamber it, (I had connections) I would have not used the factory barrel. I would have purchased a new barrel rather than gamble on the factory barrel.
*Note* For those that suggest finding a load that the rifle likes, in my case, there was no load that it liked. The best load/combo, was a 175 FGMM and that was the 1 1/2" groups. And it was seriously unpredictable even with that! Rifle was purchased in Feb of '09 during the 1st Obama buying craze and I am sure that Rem was shoving them out the door just as fast as they could pull 'em off the assembly line, so I have no doubt that a lot of my demons were related to that.

Last edited:
Yea set back and re chamber could help accuracy, Probably cost around $100 to have done. However Remington barrels are not usually that great and if you want to see great accuracy you may want to invest on a custom barrel.