• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullet Weight Variance

Pirate-69

Private
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2009
Greenville, NC
I searched for information on this subject but did not find what I was looking for. I know there have been discussions on bullet weight variance. I am interested in opinions on what is considered an acceptable variance. As an example with a 168 garain bullet, would + or - 1 grain be considered acceptable for a MOA round? That would be a 0.6 percent variance in weight. If OK, then where should the variance be considered as a potential problem?

Re: Bullet Weight Variance

The box of 500 Lapua Scenars that I bought would vary +-.5g at most. The 100 count of 168g AMAXs that I have would vary as much as +- 4g. They would fire consistantly though. I doubt you will notice POI differences unless you are shooting past 600y. Out to 300y I never did. If you are only looking for MOA performance, don't worry about it. Just shoot 'em.

FIREMEDIC27,
Thanks for the info. The AMAXs have a reputation as a fairly accurate bullet. Yet they have a + or - variance of 4 grains. The Lapua have a very tight tolerance of + or - 0.5 grains. In your opinion, does the accuracy of the Lapua reflect the tighter tolerances?

I have a reason for asking the question on variance. I picked-up a cheap digital scale and calibrated it. It turns out to be pretty accurate with known weights. However, it will only give weights to the nearest grain. So I am playing with + or - 1 grain and I was wondering if this was of any benefit.

I checked some bullets, I checked 20 pulled M2s and they ranged from 148 to 152 grains. I believe that they are supposed to be 152 grains. Next I checked some GoldenWest Brass 168 grain bullets and all twenty gave 168 grains on the scale. So the tolerance looks good, but I have found these bullets to to a 1 to 1.5" group bullet under the best of conditions. That is the reason I was looking for variation on some of the more accurate bullets. Just curious.

In our benchrest bullets we used to make we held a +/- 0.1 But that was 65 grain and each bullet was hand made.

I think the consistancy does play into the accuracy. However, I spent less time working on the Lapua load than I did on the Amax's. My rifle seems to really like the Lapua's. I'm sure the Amax's would be just as accurate if I spent the time on the load.

That being said, try the Amax's. If you are shooting Benchrest or 600 + yards, you will probly notice a difference. I would bet you should still be able to hold sub-MOA groups with the Amax's. If you are really concerned, just sort them by weight.

Spend more time shooting the bullets than weighing them and your shooting will get better.
wink.gif

I shoot AMAX bullets to 1000+ and they shoot sub MOA. Never weighed any of them.