• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Burning Man 2018- Too Commercial or Dirty Hippy

If Burning Man was about cowboys or gun enthusiasts, the same people who claim 1st amendment freedoms would sue the BLM for allowing it. If Burning Mn was about 100 cows grazing for a summer on public land, there would have to be an Allotment Management Plan written as well as an EA. Since its about the anointed beautiful free spirits its allowed under a very old outdated cheesy Environmental Assessment. BLM gets their 1 million hush money, dont have to write an Environmental Impact Statement and the beat goes on. its about $$$ no matter what smoke its whispered about in. Different rules for different people. Nothing new here.

Want to go to an event thats not about $$ full of real smelly hippies go to a Rainbow Gathering..

Reactions: Barneybdb
Nothing but a bunch of filthy stinking hippies. I live one exit from where they get off I-80 to go north to Black Rock. Every year the same thing, garbage everywhere. They leave a mountain of garbage in the WalMart parking lot that requires a frontend loader and dump trucks to clean up. The ones that don't dump their crap at WalMart drive out of town a little way and throw it out on the side of the road. At least this year the Paiute Tribal Police harassed the shit out of them because they have to cross tribal land to get to Black Rock.

Burning man ended on Monday but there are still thousands of people up there partying.

Reactions: Mwalex
You do realize it's a leave no trace event and there are people on sight for at least a month afterward doing cleanup with leave no trace inspections and reports. Camps get graded after they leave and dirty camps are not allowed to return.

I think everyone could appreciate a visit to Burning Man if they like art and can have an open mind.

You would at least be able to see how far off these misconceptions are.

You do realize it's a leave no trace event

You do realize they abandoned 5000 bicycles in the desert last year, and their "leave no trace" doesn't apply to the shit they throw out everywhere when they are leaving.

1536213894052.png
1536213924727.png

1536214034794.png

There are more than a few shitty people who do make a mess but Burning Man can't control that after they leave the site.

It would be nice if Burning Man would provide containers for trash at Walmart to absorb some of that but that Walmart probably does 3x the business of the rest of the year supplying Burners with bottled water, wet wipes, canned food and other stuff. They would probably much rather deal with cleanup than lose the business.

There are car washes and lots of other businesses that spring up for the event too, all locals.

But back to those shitty people, there are a lot of people who show up on Friday, mostly Bros that are looking to see naked hippy chics. They are not there for the right reasons and probably leave disappointed by the poor ratio of cute naked hippy chics they want to see to the gay dudes walking around with their cock out that they don't want to see. Being disappointed, they probably act out by littering.

I am very surprised by the number 5,000 you have thrown out there, it would mean one out of every 12 people ditched a bike there.

What does happen pretty frequently is people get high enough that they lose their bike or some asshole will "borrow" a parked bike leaving the owner with no idea of it's location.

It happens a lot but 5,000 times is surprising to me.

Also, one thing about all of those photos is that they are pictures of the cleanup which is done by Burning Man employees. It is a leave no trace event and after the crew is done cleaning, there is no trace.

There are more than a few shitty people who do make a mess but Burning Man can't control that after they leave the site.

It would be nice if Burning Man would provide containers for trash at Walmart to absorb some of that but that Walmart probably does 3x the business of the rest of the year supplying Burners with bottled water, wet wipes, canned food and other stuff. They would probably much rather deal with cleanup than lose the business.

There are car washes and lots of other businesses that spring up for the event too, all locals.

But back to those shitty people, there are a lot of people who show up on Friday, mostly Bros that are looking to see naked hippy chics. They are not there for the right reasons and probably leave disappointed by the poor ratio of cute naked hippy chics they want to see to the gay dudes walking around with their cock out that they don't want to see. Being disappointed, they probably act out by littering.

I am very surprised by the number 5,000 you have thrown out there, it would mean one out of every 12 people ditched a bike there.

What does happen pretty frequently is people get high enough that they lose their bike or some asshole will "borrow" a parked bike leaving the owner with no idea of it's location.

Also, one thing about all of those photos is that they are pictures of the cleanup which is done by Burning Man employees. It is a leave no trace event and after the crew is done cleaning, there is no trace.

Blah blah blah. Try living here and having to deal with those filthy stinking fuckers for almost a month, yes a month. They start showing up 2 weeks before it starts and stay for at least a week after. The GSR has to drain and scrub their pool because the filthy fuckers have their "decompression party" there and they are so dirty the pool has a ring around after they leave.

Blaming getting high on these people leaving 5000 bikes is laughable. Stop defending a group that only cares about the festival and that does not give two shits for the mess they create or leave behind. This is a systemic problem in our society - self absorbed, self indulgent assholes that do not care about how their actions effect the people around them. What is worse than the people that make the mess? The people that defend them.

Blaming getting high on these people leaving 5000 bikes is laughable. Stop defending a group that only cares about the festival and that does not give two shits for the mess they create or leave behind. This is a systemic problem in our society - self absorbed, self indulgent assholes that do not care about how their actions effect the people around them. What is worse than the people that make the mess? The people that defend them.
This is exactly right.
A couple of weeks back my wife and I went to a Chris Stapleton concert in Denver. We had floor tickets. These nasty, lazy fucks around us just threw their trash on the floor, plastic cups, lemons from their Vodka lemonade, etc.. Not a care in the world as their expectation is that someone else will clean up after them. We are talking dipshits from 20 year olds to 40s.

I was a volunteer Medical Provider. When I first signed up, I was to work voluteer for 20 hours and have the rest of my time free. When I was able to attend, a couple of years after signing up, I was told I would have to also pay the gate fee. Volunteer 20 hours of medical care, and STILL pay the fee to get in? Fuck off.

Reactions: Rover31
This is exactly right.
A couple of weeks back my wife and I went to a Chris Stapleton concert in Denver. We had floor tickets. These nasty, lazy fucks around us just threw their trash on the floor, plastic cups, lemons from their Vodka lemonade, etc.. Not a care in the world as their expectation is that someone else will clean up after them. We are talking dipshits from 20 year olds to 40s.
Yeah, when you sell tickets you can't really choose who comes and some people will be assholes. At Burning Man, a lot of the bad behavior is people who are loaded on exstacy, mushrooms, acid or some of the weird designer psychedelics that are technically not illegal yet.

Of course it's not an excuse for bad behavior, just an explanation. Being a leave no trace event, there is a large crew to clean up after that bad behavior so I can't really fault those people for choosing that venue to try weird shit.

It is much more disturbing to see people who are 100% sober and behaving badly.