• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Burris Warranty Question- Discontinued Model Replacement

DenverDave

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2017
I have a Burris XTR II 4-20x50 with GB2 Reticle, model number 201040. This is one of the older gen1 XTR II models with 8 mils per turret revolution and has been discontinued. The illumination on my scope has crapped out. I intend to send the scope in for warranty service at the end of the year once its cold and i am shooting less. Because my scope model is discontinued, I am wondering if I maybe given the option to choose a different model should they choose to replace my scope instead or repair it.

Does anyone here have experience with Burris warranty replacement for a discontinued scope model?

Thanks for the info. I emailed them. The reply was instructions for filling out a RMA request. They did not respond to my question.

The original XTR II you speak of had some buggy parts for the illumination. The parts they sourced for that initial run of scopes failed to meet performance expectations, so they immediately switched up those parts on later models and saw a pretty big decrease in illumination switch failures.

In my honest opinion it's highly unlikely that they will send you a brand new scope when the repair in question is so easy to perform.

The original XTR II you speak of had some buggy parts for the illumination. The parts they sourced for that initial run of scopes failed to meet performance expectations, so they immediately switched up those parts on later models and saw a pretty big decrease in illumination switch failures.

In my honest opinion it's highly unlikely that they will send you a brand new scope when the repair in question is so easy to perform.

Thanks for that info. Very useful i appreciate it.

Reactions: Birddog6424
They'll more than likely repair your scope. I just sent in my Steiner Military 4-16x50 for repairs (same repair facility/dept.) and they repaired my scope rather than replacing. That scope has been discontinued for quite some time now. Hopefully they get your optic repaired quickly, my Steiner took almost 6 weeks to get back. Their website says 1-3, Burris website says 4-6 last time I checked.

My Burris Scout 2.75x is there getting repaired. My M14 Scout rifle broke it. I no longer have any scopes that haven't been sent back for repairs, regardless of brand.

Sometimes you will get an opportunity for replacement if the current parts don't work on the older model. Had it happen, most scope companies are very good about it.

Unless they find something else wing, chances are they will simply fix it.

If they offer you replacement, just get another 4-20x50 XTR II. It is a very respectable scope.

I had sent in a RT6 to them with illumination bleed and initially they said they will fix it , and after a few weeks they said they will replace it . I had to wait another 2 weeks or so because the rt6 was on backorder according with them . They just shipped this week c, coming in on Monday . Will see when it comes in if they replace it like they said and if there are any issues with the replacement. For me it took more then 8 weeks until now .

About 1 year ago I sent in a 8-32 Black Diamond with parallax adjustment issues, within a few weeks they contacted me to say it was not repairable. They gave me the option of getting the equivalent scope (Veracity) for free or I could upgrade scopes for the difference in price. Their customer service was very good!

I had sent in a RT6 to them with illumination bleed and initially they said they will fix it , and after a few weeks they said they will replace it . I had to wait another 2 weeks or so because the rt6 was on backorder according with them . They just shipped this week c, coming in on Monday . Will see when it comes in if they replace it like they said and if there are any issues with the replacement. For me it took more then 8 weeks until now .

The RT6 is still selling like hotcakes. They did good that they found you one so quickly.

I can't say enough GOOD about the place in Greeley, Colorado.
It is close to me and I am yet to come out of there, within an hour or 2 not HAPPY and problems resolved.

Great Service Dept. and quick if they know you are waiting.

I am from Colorado and knew the guy that started the whole shebang. He sold and serviced scopes way below what I could afford for me years ago.

Very few have needed serviced, but once in a while , since it was close I have used the Service and Repair Dept.

I use ONLY Burris scopes. FM

Just got home . Brand new rt6 . The illumination looks a lot better then the other one I had. I’m happy with them .... also have another couple of scopes from them that I’m happy with.

Reactions: Birddog6424
Great info here guys I appreciate all your input. If given the option to replace I would like to go with a XTR II 5-25x5 with the SCR reticle Mil. The 4-20x50 is a great scope and I have nothing but positive things to say about it (aside from the illume breaking), however the higher mag of the 25x and SCR reticle where not available when I purchased mine and are options I would like to upgrade to if possible.

I have a few of the 25x. Mostly on big guns like a 300 Norma mag. But I prefer the 20x, and own more of those. My 3 rifles that I compete with are all 20x. And I have shot those rifles out to a mile. So pretty much further than anyone would ever "need" to shoot.

Great info here guys I appreciate all your input. If given the option to replace I would like to go with a XTR II 5-25x5 with the SCR reticle Mil. The 4-20x50 is a great scope and I have nothing but positive things to say about it (aside from the illume breaking), however the higher mag of the 25x and SCR reticle where not available when I purchased mine and are options I would like to upgrade to if possible.
I love the stink out of my 5-25 with SCR-mil bought it from a Hider. Even with some things I've read about don't buy sight unseen I feel confident the SH crowd isn't a place where scam artists abound and I'd buy another one from an active forum Hider no problem in the future.