• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR II Rifle Scopes

Thanks for giving your evaluation BigJimFish. I'm glad to hear a positive review. To my amateur eye the glass appears to be pretty nice! Since you're one of the few that actually fondled one maybe you could clear up the feel of the turrits for us. If you could possibly compare them to a known model like the Viper PST? I think that is one of the things most people are getting hung up on. And the fact that they are made in the Philippines.. Thanks again

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Who cares where it's made? Isn't the PST made in the Philippines as well? And they are not bad scopes at all, or I doubt they would have such a huge following. I am excited for the New Burris scopes since I've owned a couple of their lower lines in the past and was nothing short of totally impressed. These have the recipe to be outstanding but time will tell. Based on my previous experiences with Burris though, I bet these will be great.

Because, where it is made is frequently, though not always, an indicator of quality.
The interwebs is replete with factory refurbished Philippine made riflescopes.

Who cares where it's made? Isn't the PST made in the Philippines as well? And they are not bad scopes at all, or I doubt they would have such a huge following. I am excited for the New Burris scopes since I've owned a couple of their lower lines in the past and was nothing short of totally impressed. These have the recipe to be outstanding but time will tell. Based on my previous experiences with Burris though, I bet these will be great.

I spoke with a friend of mine yesterday he was at shot. He implied the burris had very good glass in it for the price range. If I understood him correctly he thought it was a notch better than the Bushnells dmr. He said the turrets didn't feel anything like the new razors but were good for this price range. Im kinda excited to maybe give one a go. Im think the 3-15.

Because, where it is made is frequently, though not always, an indicator of quality.
The interwebs is replete with factory refurbished Philippine made riflescopes.

I understand your point, but your opinion of Filipino made scopes has been made quite clear by the sheer number of times you have repeated it.

Thanks for giving your evaluation BigJimFish. I'm glad to hear a positive review. To my amateur eye the glass appears to be pretty nice! Since you're one of the few that actually fondled one maybe you could clear up the feel of the turrits for us. If you could possibly compare them to a known model like the Viper PST? I think that is one of the things most people are getting hung up on. And the fact that they are made in the Philippines.. Thanks again

I remember that the Viper PST had pretty good feeling turrets. I don't remember anything about the feel of the XTR II turrets. That is probably not a bad thing. If they felt terrible I would probably remember it.

As for the origin, the more you learn, the more you realize this is truly meaningless. Companies can move equipment and expertise wherever taxes, labor costs, and regulations are friendly (and this means basically anywhere but the U.S.). For example, Nikon now produces many high end Nikkor lenses and most of the premier line in Chinese facilities and the quality has not suffered. The story of many of these optics when it comes to glass, components, design, and assembly is so convoluted that it makes my head hurt. I have heard rumors that OEM's sometimes even subcontract to other OEM's without the brand knowing it resulting in a situation where there is literally no one person who knows who is responsible for every part of the manufacture. It kind of reminds me of the electronics industry in that way. Really, at that point it comes down to the brand to police the end product. I can't say it is a situation that I find ideal, or even one that I think would naturally occur outside of the effect of national and local politics over a myriad of nationalities on localities, but I think that is is more or less the way things are today if you want to produce a product that is very price competitive for the quality offered.

Damn it... Now the XTR II is at the top of my list for my build... The rangefinder is just gonna have to wait. I guess I'll have time to learn to range with the reticle. Thanks again!

Last edited:
They always list stuff not in stock. There are a few places listing them but i don't think they're shipping yet

I really am fond of my Burris hunting scopes (most of them US made) and am excited to see them coming out with something mil/mil. I always found their glass to be excellent for the price point. Now that they are owned by Beretta these scopes sound like great scopes at a great price! Can't wait to get my hands on one.

I have a new Sig SSG. I have a Zeiss and a Vortex I've swapped back and forth a couple times looking for "the perfect scope" for my old eyes. A buddy of mine that went to SHOT, called me from the hotel to tell me about the XTR 8-40 - FFP. He fondled it several times before he was certain this was the scope for him and his Rem and suggested I really look into it for the SSG.

After all my research, and having had a few Burris scopes in the past, I've decided I'm also buying one when the hit the streets in Feb/Mar time frame.

I could not care less where the scope is made. Burris has an exceptional warranty and stands behind their products. If that's not good enough for you - don't buy one. However, even at the MSRP, an 8-40 FFP that should perform like me other Burris', is a hell of a buy.

I got to play with them at SHOT. Very impressive for what the price point is. I pulled another brand of scope off my .260 to make room for a 5-25. The 1-5 is going on the 3Gun rifle.

I have an engineering sample of the 1x. Some things I like, some I am still mulling over.

that dude said it's an unconditional warranty? and i was gonna pull the trigger on an HDMR tomorrow.

the stated warranty is materials and workmanship. that guy said "if it goes thru a traumatic event or gets ran over by a truck" that's more of a vortex warranty.

that dude said it's an unconditional warranty? and i was gonna pull the trigger on an HDMR tomorrow.

The HDMR is a proven optic and is built in Japan by LOW. This thing is built next to a coconut plantation. If you don't like the HDMR, Bushnell will give you 100% of your money back. I know which way I'd be leaning.

any hide burris dealers that give a mil discount, mile high, and liberty don't carry burris.

Burris commissioned this scope to look like a nightforce to appeal to posers. We absolutely should stick together as a community and send the message to these companies, such as Burris, to shove their overpriced Filipino junk up their ass. Buy a dmr or an hdmr if you want a decent 34mm, ffp scope with original features and styling, support a company that gets it.....fuck the junk.
Boy I'm lucky, I shot at 1,000 yards and held under MOA and one mile and held 1 1/2 MOA. I think I did real good with a Burris 6x24 XTR JUNK!

I have not handled one of these but I am also excited about them. I'm even considering selling my 4-16 PST to get the 5-25 XTR II. As for looking like NFs (I can kind of see it in the texturing on the mag ring and turrets), I think the profile actually looks kinda like the Kahles 624s, at least in the 4-20 and above. Not that it matters though, as long as they work who cares? Not blown away with the reticle choices in these, but they'll do the job.

Tikka, are you a disgruntled ex-Burris employee or something?! No matter what is said by those who have actually handled these scopes, you just keep putting them down. Everyone has their opinions, but give it a rest...

Boy I'm lucky, I shot at 1,000 yards and held under MOA and one mile and held 1 1/2 MOA. I think I did real good with a Burris 6x24 XTR JUNK!

Hats off bud, fine shooting. That's a fine scope and a testament to US quality. But wtf does that have to do with the new xtr II?

Do you have a problem with US manufacturing and supporting companies that manufacture in the US?

Do you have a problem with people who don't put it on the same priority level as you do? Do I need to care about all the same stuff you do and hold your opinion? If not, I agree with him. I'd rather not see it rehashed in yet another thread.

I noticed these started popping up on various websites and can't help but wonder are these pre-order or ready to ship in the next few weeks or what.

Swfa is listing them, and optics planet has estimated shipping times of anywhere from 7days to 3 weeks depending on model. Looking at a 5-25 for my 308 and 1-5 for the AR.

I love this guy talking about buy American....... yet he makes a comparison to a low level out of the country Tag Huer, <------- they are like the simmons scopes of the Swiss time piece world.

Then his name is Tikka <-------- another out the country manufacture.

I just wonder how the Night Forces are doing being made buy that coconut tree.

Any ways onto more important things........ I hope this scope works well.

I love this guy talking about buy American....... yet he makes a comparison to a low level out of the country Tag Huer, <------- they are like the simmons scopes of the Swiss time piece world.

^^^hahahaha good one

sir, nightforce scopes are made both in Japan and the USA, not the Philippines. I do not support products that are manufactured in communist or banana-republic type shit holes. In my experience and most others, who are probably to chicken-shit to comment, scopes manufactured in the Philippines have turned out to be pure garbage. This scope has some attention, because some perceive it to be a feature-rich, Ffp scope based on a 34mm main tube for a grand. This target market assumes a product comparable to a Steiner or s&b and have fragile egos when one tells them otherwise. Those who purchase such products will be getting exactly what they pay for. I would encourage those considering this scope to instead look at a proven DMr or hdmr.

I don't understand why some of you guys are trying to take the moral high ground and sound all patriotic and suggesting a boycott of some crazy sort because of Phillipine manufacture. Do you boycott Walmart? Do you realize almost everything you own was made out of country; mostly by slave labor? Including the computer you are reading this on?!

Welcome to the new world. Shit is made all over the world these days, if you want to wave a flag, better do it with everthing and not just pick and choose your little stands to beat your chests over. I don't see many guys complaining some Japanese dude made his scope instead of Dan Smith in Colorado.

You guys need to decide if you are objecting based on the optic being a supposed turd because of inferior people building it and poor materials, or because it's being made out of country at all. If it is a turd, it will be discovered by guys on this site who use their optics hard, then I'll gladly join you guys in denouncing it. At least it will be factual in nature, and not the emotional bemoanings a of a rouge globalized economic system. Don't get me wrong, I hate it too and I wish everything we buy as Americans was American made, but that America has unfortunately been gone for quite awhile.

You do understand the XTR was built in colorado and the XTR II is made in the philippines, right?

They are not exactly the same.
Do you read your own post. As of now few people know if the scope is good or junk. But Burris has a good name and until they screw that up, I well look at their products. Not some one going on and on about Philippines. Give us a break.

thanks for the clarification Mark! That's great to hear the glass quality is the same in the two series, but I think I prefer the reticle in the XTR II!

Do you read your own post. As of now few people know if the scope is good or junk. But Burris has a good name and until they screw that up, I well look at their products. Not some one going on and on about Philippines. Give us a break.

Read your own post. You are ASSUMING that since your US made XTR scope was a good scope, then the XTR II scope will also be good.
That is fine, if you wish to make those assumptions.

I actually hope that the XTR II line IS a good, capable, reliable scope.
I would love to have more competition in this area.
But, I am a realist. One can only go by past performance UNTIL proven otherwise.

Burris owns the factory that produces it's products in the Philipines. Several years ago Burris was faced with a delimna. They could not remain competitive in the $200 Fullfield class of scopes, keeping production in the US. They had 3 choices, get out of the $200 scope market, farm out the manufacture of those products to other companies in Asia or set up there own production facility in Asia. They chose to set up a Burris manufacuting plant in the Phillipines. Burris did this so that they could maintain control over the quality of the scopes produced. The Philipine made scopes are just as good or better than the US made ones. This may offend some people, but it is what it is. I have no problem buying Burris products made in the Philipines. All of my scopes are Burris, made in the US and the Philipines. I have no problem with any of there products. I would much rather purchase products made in the Philipines, a country friendly to the US, than purchase some product from communist China, a country less friendly to the US. By the way, doesn't Leupold have a manufacturing plant in China to manufacture some of its components?

Guys please stop quoting Tikka and giving him the satisfaction of thinking anyone gives a crap about his bullshit... Let's continue to discuss these scopes and how we feel about their features and options as I assume most of us have only seen pictures of them. I for one am excited about them and hope to get my hands on one to see for myself. I'm also looking forward to credible reviews from people like BigJimFish or LoneWolfUSMC to get honest and credible impressions. I'm convicted Tikka works for Bushnell... Hahaha

I live close the Burris shop here in Colorado. I wonder if they let people come in and check out things?? Might have to try and swing by so I can get my hands on one of them.

I live close the Burris shop here in Colorado. I wonder if they let people come in and check out things?? Might have to try and swing by so I can get my hands on one of them.
No rush. We're patient....

Or not.....
foot-tap.gif