• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR II Rifle Scopes

pprochnow , what caliber rifle are you shooting with this scope ?
I'm wondering if it will hold up to my BEAST , 300 WM with 210 grain Bergers at 2900 fps ?

308, for now, 6.5x47 later. Built like a tank. Forever warranty. I have used their warranty for minor illumination issues, I was more than pleased.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

So far you are it ! , let's see some groups and tracking data soon . Give us the skinny , how does it track , return to zero , low light performance , how does it stack up to other scopes you've used ?

Burris XTR II Rifle Scopes

New rifle and scope setup, so groups will depend on how my hand loads perform. It's on a tikka, so I am hopeful that it won't be picky. I will do a box test on my first outing if the varget/sst combo agrees with her. The illumination assembly is light years ahead the original xtr. Glass is clear and resolution is good. Yesterday I watched a wasp building a nest, about 90 yards away.
ta7umu5a.jpg

Last edited:
Man i was set on getting myself an SS 5x20. I'm not a big fan of the mil quad in the SS but was willing to give it a try. Now Burris comes along and gives me just about everything i want... DAMN!!! cant wait to hear the results of this guy.

PPROCHNOW, where did you get that baby? and how does it compare to a vortex pst??

Shipped direct from burris, order placed in December. To be fair I can't say how it compares without wringing it out.

I did a tour of the Burris facility week or so ago. Got to fondle the scopes. I like. Seriously cant wait for mine to be delivered. The knobs weren't crisp, but felt more like a knob would if there was too much grease in it...not mushy, but not crisp. Not bad tho at all. Esp for the price range.

Below is the 3-15 next to the 4-20. Also checked out the 8-40. The bottom cross bar disappears at full power. I think it will be a big hit.

Also, the winner of the carbine match at the Wyoming match 3 weeks ago won it going away shooting a burris 2-10. Engaging targets out to 700 I believe. So again, I don't see tracking to be an issue.

Regards,
DT

PS the rings arnt backwards...the scope is lol...

Attachments

• XTR2.JPG
    XTR2.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Vortex may be cheaper but they cut corners on their zero stop features. I have an HS-T and they use shims to "stop" the turret when returning to zero. This may be functional but is less than ideal in my opinion. I haven't seen any details on the XRT II zero stop features (it's annoying that Burris doesn't provide more extensive information for their products on their website) but from their owners manual PDF their ZS mechanism looks to be of higher quality. Don't get me wrong Vortex is awesome for the $ but I'd rather spend the extra coin on quality.

I did a tour of the Burris facility week or so ago. Got to fondle the scopes. ...

Also checked out the 8-40. The bottom cross bar disappears at full power. I think it will be a big hit. .

I think so as well, though I haven't seen it, I got a call from an enemy of my bank account after he got a chance to shoot the 8-40 telling me to "trust me - order the damn ting", and then punching the point at me after he got home. He really liked it for the few shots he got and he's a hard guy to impress.

I requested a notification when they're available and am buying one. Fortunately for me, we're sitting here in NM eating dirt in 68 mph winds so any thought of range time is well on the back burner. Bad time of year here for wind issues.

Vortex may be cheaper but they cut corners on their zero stop features. I have an HS-T and they use shims to "stop" the turret when returning to zero. This may be functional but is less than ideal in my opinion. I haven't seen any details on the XRT II zero stop features (it's annoying that Burris doesn't provide more extensive information for their products on their website) but from their owners manual PDF their ZS mechanism looks to be of higher quality. Don't get me wrong Vortex is awesome for the $ but I'd rather spend the extra coin on quality.

XTRII Zero stop is nice and is set with an hex key. Sight it, takes less than a minute to set it, done and shoot...

Been impatiently waiting for Burris to start shipping this new line of scopes. I'm converting from 2nd FP/MOA scopes to ffp mil/mil, and looking for the most cost efficient way to do so. The XTR IIs - both 4-20 & 5-25 versions - look to be a good way to accomplish the upgrade.

I deal with JSC 'bout as often as any other distributor; they sent out an update flier not too long ago - at least they're showing the new Veracity & XTR II line of scopes now, even though they don't have any of the XTR IIs in stock yet. They do show the older Bushnell DMR scope on sale at under a grand, but are out of stock on those too. Ah well - waiting is sometimes a good thing - sooner or later, someone's bound to post some reviews on their hands-on experience with one of these things.

Has there been a confirmation of an LE/LEO MIL discount? I skimmed back over the thread didn't see anything.

I know they are just now starting to show up at retailers , does anyone know if and when a MOA/MOA version will be available ?

optics planet is supposed to receive 25 of the 5x25 in the next few days. I have one b/o. they did match a competitors price though. knocked it down to 1055.00 gonna wait to get it here, then figure out what rings... :D

Yes they do have a LE/MIL discount. Find the suggested retail price on the Burris site and take 50% off. It came to about $820 for the 4-20 I ordered. You can use this once per year for a scope, rings and base.

Last edited:
Howdy, I'm new to the Hide. Been reading your stuff for years, finally decided to jump on. I ordered a 4-20 from Burris LE program to top my new Savage 10ba. I have never had a real quality optic before. My department sniper rifle (Rem 700POS) is only topped with a Burris MTAC. Even so, when I trained with other departments, I was still able to compete and stay in the top 20% vs guys with AI rifles and NF scopes.
I had a lot to say to 'He who should not be named' but others have already said it. It really isn't what you got but how you use it.
Burris told me to expect mine the first week in May, not holding my breath though.

Good to know! when you get that glass in be sure to give us a review. I know a lot of guys are excited about this new line. I like all its options and especially for the price. If it tracks right and holds zero ill be placing my order.

New rifle and scope setup, so groups will depend on how my hand loads perform. It's on a tikka, so I am hopeful that it won't be picky. I will do a box test on my first outing if the varget/sst combo agrees with her. The illumination assembly is light years ahead the original xtr. Glass is clear and resolution is good. Yesterday I watched a wasp building a nest, about 90 yards away.
ta7umu5a.jpg

what height rings you put on that thing?

Burris XTR II Rifle Scopes

So I got an hour in the field to compare the vortex pst and the xtrii 5-25. The turret adjustment feel on the pst has an edge with detent feel, but not sure it's apples to apples with mils per rotation if that matters to you. The reticle could go either way depending on preference. The glass was hard to tell the difference in the middle of the day. Zero stop on burris is field adjustable, not sure I would try to adjust the pst's while laying in a dusty field. Size wise the burris is physically bigger. Didn't test the tracking, cause a dust devil sucked up my target and carried it away. 592 yard 6x9 plate was the target for the day. My buddy that owns the pst wants to trade me for the xtr.

Please post some pictures of your tracking /box tests when you can , does the scope return to zero reliably ?
Thanks !

I have two of the 1.5x8's on order for my 3 Gun rifles. I think this is going to be the cat's meow.

I ran a friends Leupold MKVIII in the same power variable and loved it. The Burris will be a little less busy in the reticle, which is a good thing for 3 Gun, and will still have a daylight visible red dot at low power.

The 1x4 Vortex Viper PST was a huge disappointment for 3 gun. The illumination disappears in daylight, it's SFP, and the mil reticle is so tiny I can't even read what it says to use it. Pretty much a bust when all the features are useless.

Hopefully the Burris will turn out as I hope.

This is the 8-40 XTR-II.
Ran a 100 rounds through my F-Open rifle yesterday with this scope. Light loaded 284 Win, with 180 Hybrids.
Have you ever went to the range and realize you left your drop chart at home? (Grrr!) Some technology no my iPhone helped me out.
I shot out to 1000 yards, but really just got used to the scope. Really like the reticle and the turrets. I also used it to make wind calls for a guy shooting his 338 Lapua Improved at 2073 yards. I shot his rifle later on at the same distance with success-different topic.
I had my wind down (shooting at that distance already) and put 10 shots at 800 yards.
Good conditions, NEO Rest, stupid accurate rifle, and a really nice scope.

i'm curious about a side by side with the PST

I had a PST 6-24 on the .260 that now has the XTRII 4-20 on it. Pretty safe to say that everything about the XTRII is better than the PST except the PST is 7 ounces lighter. The PST is more comparable to the new Burris Veracity line.

This is the 8-40 XTR-II.
Ran a 100 rounds through my F-Open rifle yesterday with this scope. Light loaded 284 Win, with 180 Hybrids.
Have you ever went to the range and realize you left your drop chart at home? (Grrr!) Some technology no my iPhone helped me out.
I shot out to 1000 yards, but really just got used to the scope. Really like the reticle and the turrets. I also used it to make wind calls for a guy shooting his 338 Lapua Improved at 2073 yards. I shot his rifle later on at the same distance with success-different topic.
I had my wind down (shooting at that distance already) and put 10 shots at 800 yards.
Good conditions, NEO Rest, stupid accurate rifle, and a really nice scope.

40x with a 50mm objective huh?
How's the resolution at 40x?
I'd guess the brightness and eyebox have to suffer a bit with a 50mm objective and 1.25mm exit pupil.
I'm really hoping these scopes are as good as the specs indicate. I'll be hard pressed not to at least try one out.

Oh, and, nice shooting! That rifle gets it done!

This past Monday, conditions changed several times. What I do, is change magnification according to the conditions. And of course with the reticle in FFP, I use it without concern.
I still have not run it in extremes yet or spent multiple days using it.
In mid-June I will be using it for literally hours at a time for several days. I am looking forward to that in more than one way :)
40x with a 50mm objective huh?
How's the resolution at 40x?
I'd guess the brightness and eyebox have to suffer a bit with a 50mm objective and 1.25mm exit pupil.
I'm really hoping these scopes are as good as the specs indicate. I'll be hard pressed not to at least try one out.

Oh, and, nice shooting! That rifle gets it done!

I have heard the next batch of 1.5x8's will be arriving in July. But it's a very limited number. I may not see my new glass till fall.

I am excited to see these come in, but I'm very disappointed with Burris' roll out of this product. Text book over-promise under-deliver.

Birddog6424 said:
I am excited to see these come in, but I'm very disappointed with Burris' roll out of this product. Text book over-promise under-deliver.

How did they "over-promise under-deliver"?

And I'm pretty sure the Vortex PST is the "text book" case study of that particular issue with optic rollouts.

I'd say they promised and under supplied is all, which happens with just about everything highly demanded product upon its release.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I'd say they promised and under supplied is all, which happens with just about everything highly demanded product upon its release.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I would be happy with a straight answer. I talked to one Burris customer service rep who told me they were about to ship 500 Plus 8x40s a couple of weeks ago, so I placed an order at one of the larger vendors. After seeing the delivery estimates get pushed back a couple of times since then, I talked to another rep who said they only shipped 50 units and that my particular vendor probably only got two or three units. Another 50 units are expected to arrive shortly and then go through 100% inspection. I'm guessing that means another two or three units to my vendor, which had 13 other folks in line in front of me, on this next shipment. I have money in hand and would like to give this a try, but I don't want to waste three months of waiting just to be told about other delays.

Just got a UPS shipping notification on my 4-20x50 ordered though LE program

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too ordered a 4-20 on the LE program. I got a call from Burris today letting me know that it shipped.

did anyone ever get an answer on a mil discount? i never heard back from them.

How do I get in on this action?

I contacted Burris a while ago about their LEO/Military discount program and have the form saved in my emails. If you'd like a copy, feel free to PM me your email address and I'll forward it to you.