• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR II Rifle Scopes

I'm hopeful that this line will perform well. I own one Burris and have been completely satisfied with it. I've been dismayed at how expensive top tier scopes have become and it would be really nice if Burris can give 90% of the performance for 25% of the money. Maybe I'm being a little over-optimistic, but I am going to watch the reviews on these closely.

Last edited:
I am also about to order one of the XTR II scopes. I am having trouble deciding on the 4X-20X or the 5X-25X. I like the idea of being able to go up to 25X power but the extra size of the thing is holding me back. The 4-20X is 14.88 inch long and the 5-25X is 16.31 inch long. I have a Rem 700 5R with a 20 inch barrel. I'm thinking the larger scope might add to much bulk to the rig. I welcome any knowledgeable opinions on scope selection. Thanks.

Both my 700s have about 20" barrels, I have the 5-25 coming when they are done. Hopefully the 1-5 will be here Thursday.

I would like to see a picture of the 5-25 on a 20 inch barrel when you get it mounted. I'm about a week or less from ordering one or the other. I need more input.

Did I miss the minimum focus distance spec(s)? I'm thinking a 2-10 x 42 might be real nice for a rimfire build I'm contemplating.

Iv'e been reading all the posts here regarding what some people think a good scope should cost, and wether only a 3-4 thousand dollar scope is really good etc. etc. A while back while deciding what scope to mount on my Sako TRG, I did a little research of my own. It's a long story but the one interesting fact I discovered was that "ALL" U.S. scope makers are out sourcing their glass, None are actually doing their own polishing either. While I could not get anybody to admit it, China is one of the biggest suppliers nowadays of optics glass. So for you U.S Optics, Leupold, Premier Optics guess what! the glass in your scopes might be Chinese. As for me, I decided on a NF NXS 3-15X50 and we all know the glass in that is from Japan.

The only scope makers polishing their own lenses these day's are the top German brands like SB, Zeiss, Kaulas, and Meopta in the Czech republic.

So my point is that while it must be great to own on of those high end german 3-4 dollar scopes, not everybody can afford or can justify spending that kind of money. I my case I don't have any long range facility to shoot 500-1000 yards like I see some people on YouTube. I wish I did.....I suggest people stop bashing others regarding this topic, it's just down right stupid and dumb.....

I for one am looking forward to seeing a few of these since this is my price range. I own 1 NF NXS and the rest of my scopes are Vortex PST's. I actually prefer using my PST's over my NF. IDK, they just work. Glass is glass to me to some extent. Japan, Philippines, whatever. I really care more that the scope is mechanically sound. I want decent and simple reticles and turrets. The 5 mrads per rev works for me on the PST's(I prefer the coarser clicks).

If the XTR II's have decent glass and good turrets/rets, Vortex will get some competition in the price range. Which will be good for people like myself.

Many soldiers have successfully taken long shot's with lesser gear.

I mean is the ShortDot really 6x better than my 1-4x PST? :)

I've got the 5-25 coming for my 700 5r 20 inch. Should be here Monday...

I did it through the Leo purchase program direct from Burris. I got the shipping confirmation and was charged. Hopefully they are sending me the scope and not 1000 bucks worth of scope rings lol

Ok, I went into the Burris office on Friday to handle the XTRII. Their Steiner rep was there to help me out. These were ore-production models so the quality should b lower than the production models that will be shipped. As of Friday 3/7 the rep said there were 0 scopes in country to ship to anyone. Grabbed the 5x25 to start. I was limited to about 150yds viewing distance out the office showroom window so it wasn't the best situation. First off the eye relief (scope mounted on a faux rifle) was very quick to acquire. The eye box (side to side) was very forgiving, parallax was in an intuitive place an adjusted focus very easy. Now the clicks, they were a bit mushy on this scope but was positive in its placement. Never felt that it wasn't exactly on the mil click you wanted. I don't put to much into this as I'm looking at the garden when dialing elevation adjustments and not with my eyes closed.
Reticle (g2b mildot) was fine at 5x and a little heavy 25x but not to heavy. Demo model didn t have batteries that worked so couldn't try out the illumination. Overall I really liked it, the forgiving eye box is important to me more than an uber tactile turret adjustments. Glass was crisp and clear edge to edge. I think it was 8mils per turret revolution. Zero stop seems to be easy and dummy proof.
I also picked up the 8x40 with fclass reticle. Really like the size or subtensions of that reticle but not the reticle itself. The turret adjustments on this scope was definitely better and crisp. Rep said production models are definitely better than any I handled. Glass was good.
Next was the 4x20. I liked the size and feel of this one the best. Same as others too, glass was consistent on all 3. Eye box was very forgiving on all 3 at MAX zoom. Eye relief was not noticeable when going to and from MAX magnification as some have stated is an issue for them. All in all it made me want to throw down some money right there.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
If Burris has these then hopefully the distributors will have them within a week or less - and we'll start seeing reports from real production examples.

That when using multiple revolutions on turrets, 5 or 10 mils per revolution are easier mathematically than 8 or some other random number they decide to stop on. They can't seem to build turrets that stop on a nice even number at the end of a revolution. This has been true on all of their scopes with target knobs.

I've called Burris twice to inquire about the new XTR II line, and have been told twice that they won't have any to ship to distributors until sometime in April. I'm inclined to believe them - if we're lucky, the 1st shipment of these scopes will arrive on schedule.

That when using multiple revolutions on turrets, 5 or 10 mils per revolution are easier mathematically than 8 or some other random number they decide to stop on. They can't seem to build turrets that stop on a nice even number at the end of a revolution. This has been true on all of their scopes with target knobs.

I guess it doesn't bother me so much because I am rarely dialing an even 10 mils or 5 mils. 8 mils gets me over 1000yds on all my rifles so it's less than 1 revolution for most applications.

is 2x8=16 that much harder than 2x5=10. i like the 8 mil idea, plenty for 1k on most rifles.

yea math is not that hard just like one mil is 3.5 moa not hard to do that math either if your reticle and adjustments do not match gasp. i had a terrible experience with burris cs with the my xtr. that being said i still like the scope i still own the scope and i was eventually taken care of. i bet they are very busy right now and will most likely make some people who need warranty work mad on the wait time. my wait was almost 7 months to get mine replaced. right now i am looking at scopes again and this one is on my list with the weaver 3-15 edmr swfa 3-15 swfa 5-20 hd but i can not decide. i am waiting for more info on xtr 2 because i really like the xtr 1with the standard mil dot

Fingers crossed here as well. I ordered the 5X25X50.

I just talked to Optics planet. They advised that it is advertised of 6-9 weeks, but Brian (representative) advised that they will try to have them in 2 to 4 weeks. I ordered the 5-25x50 as well. I'm placing it on my Remington 700 .300 win mag for my marksman rifle.

Well got my package from Burris today..... just the rings unfortunately so I guess I'm on the waiting list too. My 700 5r looks funny with the scope base and the lower half of the rings on it

Well got my package from Burris today..... just the rings unfortunately so I guess I'm on the waiting list too. My 700 5r looks funny with the scope base and the lower half of the rings on it

I have the 700p with the 26" barrel. I want to get it low with enough clearance for my bolt. What size rings did you order???

I got mediums, but with my seekins 20 MOA base lows WILL work according to burris. I'm not trusting enough though. Plus I have a good cheek rest setup

My question is....would a 3x15 version really be worth 400 dollars more than my weaver emdr?

I got mediums, but with my seekins 20 MOA base lows WILL work according to burris. I'm not trusting enough though. Plus I have a good cheek rest setup

Thanks, I have the weaver 20 MOA base but I guess I better wait on the scope. That bit me once before in putting the carriage before the horse. But, that was with 30mm rings not 34.

Thanks, I have the weaver 20 MOA base but I guess I better wait on the scope. That bit me once before in putting the carriage before the horse. But, that was with 30mm rings not 34.

I would trust the man who makes rings for a living

LOWS will work on all the XTR2's

To make it easy,

34mm...
50mm objective - lows will work all the time
56mm objective - lows < sendero or #5 contour Sometimes lows will fit number 7 contour barrels, but it depends on how long the shank is after the smith installed it.
Highs for sure anything larger than #7

This is assuming our ring height and our rail height. Also using buttler creek caps. YMMV...

Regards,
DT

I had a tour of the Burris / Steiner factory yesterday and left with a bunch of their XTRII Scopes to use and review.

At the price point these are awesome scopes.. and seeing the behind scenes make it even better.

There is a 100 people working in Greeley and you'll see a lot more coming out there,

1235189_717175781639281_36485008_n.jpg

1979671_717243628299163_720002296_n.jpg

Burris & Steiner will be a big part of the SHC as they right there, and want to represent CO in the best way possible. These guys really have it wired.

Also expect some surprises coming this summer

1622843_10152347269817953_829216735_n.jpg

But I have one of each from the line, (but the 1-5x) so I am totally looking forward to reviewing them, if what I saw at the factory was any indication and for sure it was... guys looking to buy a scope in the $1200 and less range have a lot to look forward too.

Front Focal, Adjustable Zero Stops, 100MOA of adjustment, etc... really a nice product at the price point.

I had a tour of the Burris / Steiner factory yesterday and left with a bunch of their XTRII Scopes to use and review.

At the price point these are awesome scopes.. and seeing the behind scenes make it even better.

There is a 100 people working in Greeley and you'll see a lot more coming out there,

Frank,
I'm confused.
I was under the impression that these were made in the Philippines.
Are the parts made there with final assembly in Colorado?
The unfinished scope bodies might lead one to believe assembly is here vice overseas, unless those are scope bodies for the Steiners.

The Burris are made in the Philippines however there is stuff here and final inspection is here...

Before any scope is spec'd in the Philippines it is built in CO, they do all the work and testing in CO, and once the design is tested and finalized they move mass production over. However it does not stop there. First run samples are all opened and tested in CO, then after samples from each batch are retested as they arrive.

Burris / Steiner has a full production facility in CO, and employs a 100 workers. They have complete clean rooms, testing equipment, and a full machine shop.

Take a lot of that and you'll begin to get the surprise.

The room where every scope is checked has a collimator at the worker's table, and is hand tested before being re-packaged prior to shipping. It's not drop shipped from the PI to the stores.

The clean rooms all have ports to the outside and during assembly they can check test targets outside to 100 and 200 yards. The lasers are all tested on Animal shaped target out to distance from a 2nd floor.

Steiner in the US is a bit difference but again, full production can be run from CO.

well, y'all need to get to work, reviewing.

and i never received a reply about the mil discount. even if they said no, which is fine, i would have still like to get a reply.
they up'd their game on the scopes, hopefully they'll up their customer service in future. bad CS will burn a company quick, fast, and in a hurry.

Last edited:
I ordered two 4 x 20 x 50 Veracity scopes in November when I drove by Burris on my way back from a Wyoming hunting trip. Called a couple of days ago to see when they would ship and they said the middle of April. After reading all the above it sounds like I may have made a good decision. I want the scopes for long range hunting and they seem perfect on paper. One goes on a .338 RUM and one on a 7mm mag.

"Burris / Steiner has a full production facility in CO, and employs a 100 workers. They have complete clean rooms, testing equipment, and a full machine shop.

Take a lot of that and you'll begin to get the surprise"

Maybe something Burris/Steiner with something in the 1500-2000 price range. THAT would be interesting.

I'm looking forward to reviews about this scope , especially it's tracking and repeatability . I have a 30mm Burris on my LMT and it blasts Coyotes like nobody's business but as others have mentioned the turrets are less than crisp but they do return to zero quite well . If this scope turns out to be a bargain Steiner Military I will be very pleased indeed !

4-6 weeks from now is still the "official" timetable.

Frank's post just reinforces what I've been saying all along. Steiner is the safest choice in a high end scope, and the influx of Beretta Defense Technology $$$ is elevating the Burris product as well. On it's face value, Steiner/Burris being under the BDT umbrella seems a bit odd, but I'm sure BDT has a plan.

What is refreshing is that all of this has not made Steiner and Burris inaccessible, unlike Hensoldt with them being owned by Cassidian. The facilities are here, the people are here, the product is excellent, and the price is in line with reality.

Look forward to the reviews.

Scott

Where did Tikka260 go now that Frank said they look GTG?

Sully

I think it is premature to say they are GTG, as NO ONE has put them through their paces yet.
We shall see, I'm hoping they do well as the 4-20x has caught my eye.

This just made my life more complicated. The SWFA 5x20's are six weeks out so I was looking at the HDMR or newer ERS. The new Burris 2's look interesting although the reticle selection seems limited.

i had the SS 5-20, for me i hated the "mil-quad". i'd rather had a plain old mil-dot. i like the G2B mildot better than the mil-quad.

I think it is premature to say they are GTG, as NO ONE has put them through their paces yet.
We shall see, I'm hoping they do well as the 4-20x has caught my eye.

Understood, and I agree with you. PI scopes have failed me as well, but I will not diss the product just because some of the manufacturing process is carried out abroad. As soon as Steiner had a connection with Burris I was hoping for the best. Perhaps a pip dream but a 1K scope with all the features it is presenting will be hard to resist. Perhaps GTG is an overreach at this point, but I respect what the company is doing, they have QC's in place and are doing there best to produce a competitive product and not just taking a cheap POS and planting Tactical on the side. So your right but lets also not crucify them just because they put a plant in PI.

Sully

Burris commissioned this scope to look like a nightforce to appeal to posers. We absolutely should stick together as a community and send the message to these companies, such as Burris, to shove their overpriced Filipino junk up their ass. Buy a dmr or an hdmr if you want a decent 34mm, ffp scope with original features and styling, support a company that gets it.....fuck the junk.

What's wrong with an aac-sd, topped with an SWFA 16x42. No issues with it. I can put 5 rounds in the size of a dime at 100 yards and can hit the gong all day at 1000. I detest people that think because if you don't spend 5k plus on a gun it ain't shit. I've spent less than a grand on my whole set up and it works great for me. I see a lot more people out there spending thousands on gear and upgrades because they lack in shooting skills. Just my .02 worth here on this issue.

Also love how so many people chime in on bashing a product they themselves have never touched. Just going off what others have said about it. Not saying everyone here is doing it, just see it a lot in postings here on this site.

1K scope with all the features it is presenting will be hard to resist. Perhaps GTG is an overreach at this point, but I respect what the company is doing, they have QC's in place and are doing there best to produce a competitive product and not just taking a cheap POS and planting Tactical on the side. So your right but lets also not crucify them just because they put a plant in PI.
It's fortunate that a big percentage of folks reading this are taking all the bashers with a grain of salt. I can't begin to tell you how many items in the firearms disciplines I've bought over the years after hearing they were crap from folks that DON'T OWN THEM - NEVER EVEN SAW THEM. Just exactly like this situation. Unless you were at SHOT, and even then under limitations, I find it difficult to believe anything someone says about the XTR 2s because at this moment in time - they're vapor - they don't exist in the wild.

Not only am I not in the "crucify them" crowd - I AM buying one when Liberty gets them in.

Some of you guys need to lighten up a little.