• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR II Rifle Scopes

Good luck, let us know how it went. That being said, I am still not sold on these scopes. Personally, if I am going to spend that kind of money I would save a couple more months and just get the real deal...Nightforce. Yes I know...FFP vs. SFP blah blah blah.

No offense intended my friend. But the "real deal" to me is the glass that meets and exceeds all my feature and performance expectations, AND comes in at the right price. I could care less what name or logo is written on the side.

If Burris, Bushnell, Steiner, Vortex, or hell, Millett for that matter, meet my needs and expectations, I'm not spending one penny more. If Nightforce, IOR, or S&B was the only route to get what I wanted, then I would be right there with you.

Lots of great choices out there these days.

I'm not trying to start an arguement, but these scopes are barely even showing up in stores yet people are plunking down $1200 for them. Then when I read a few reports of mushy turrets, it makes me skeptical. The original XTR's were dogcrap, so not sure why the new ones are so sought after already. I'll admit, I am interested in hearing positive feedback. If they really are the real deal, but for $500 less than the competition, then sign me up.

I'm not trying to start an arguement, but these scopes are barely even showing up in stores yet people are plunking down $1200 for them. Then when I read a few reports of mushy turrets, it makes me skeptical. The original XTR's were dogcrap, so not sure why the new ones are so sought after already. I'll admit, I am interested in hearing positive feedback. If they really are the real deal, but for $500 less than the competition, then sign me up.

From the limited experience I have with my 8-40, I can definitely assure you that the XTRII is not "dog crap". The turrets on mine are not stiff at all. In fact, they are less stiff than both the Nightforce scopes I own. The clicks are clearly audible, but not as tactile as Nightforce. I wouldn't call them mushy, just a bit on the soft side but well within acceptable standards. They are actually better then the Steiner Military scope I own.

The tracking is good and the scope has a quality look and feel. The reticle works well, but gets awfully small at minimum magnification. The ergonomics are good and the features are well thought out.

For me, the jury is still out on the glass quality. The only chance I have had to shoot it so far was on a gloomy, windy day and I didn't bring any other scopes to compare it to. I will post better info on glass quality this weekend after my next range session.

So far, my opinion (for what its worth) is that the XTRII is a great value and compares well to much more expensive scopes. Durability remains to be seen, but they come with a very strong warrantee. No, it isn't in the same class as S&B or some of the other top tier scopes, but for those of us who are unable (or just unwilling) to plunk down 3k plus on a scope, they may be a very livable compromise.

Thanks for the feedback. Even if I could afford a $3k scope, I still don't think I could justify it. The worst part about the long range game is it seems companies simply charge a lot for everything because everyone else is too. I cannot fathom dropping $400 for a set of scope rings, but people proudly do so.

I am certainly a beer budget kind of guy, but I do like quality gear. I've never even looked through a Hensoldt, but I have used and owned almost all of the budget minded optics as well as a Swarovski, Kahles, Premier, Valdada. The quality of the XTRIIs to me is the best I have seen, or used considering I have not ever spent more than $2100 on an optic. The two XTRIIs that I have certainly are better than the other available optics in the same price range and I feel that they provide exceptional value. Certainly there are better scopes at twice the price or more. I just don't see anything I need in any other scope given my use and price point. Quality, value and reliability is a package I prefer, and the XTRII has the package.

Okay, it's a little over due, but here it is. I really don't have a lot to compare it to, so take this with a grain of salt. The nicest scope I've used before this was a Burris MTAC 4.5-14 that tops our Sheriff's Office sniper rifles. The MTACs with the Rem 700s, as cheap as they are, kept up with the AI guns with NForce scopes, out to 900 yards anyway. Ran out of elevation. They tracked well and returned to zero every time during a 50 hour basic sniper course last week. Glass is great too.

Last edited:
...continuing
But this isn't a MTAC review. The XTRII is definitely beafy. It's maited to a Savage 10BA/LE VIA XTR Steel rings and a Valdata 20 moa steel base.
I only took it out twice, and I did have some return to Zero problems. Zeroed at 100 and took it out to 500. Came back to zero and it printed an inch to the right. Maybe it was the gun (hope not), maybe it was all the hardware settling into place, maybe it was the wind. Jury is out still. Haven't done the box drill yet, that should be more definitive.
To me, the glass doesn't seem as good as the MTAC or even the Leupold on my hunting gun. Less sharp and the eye box is less forgiving. And when you dial to max magnification, it seems to loose a lot of brightness too. I've had two of these scopes to compare so far and both were the same.
I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt for now, another thousand rounds should tell a better tail.

Last edited:
These are finally starting to roll in! All of us here in the office have been impressed with the ones we've gotten in so far. For the money it cant be beat! Good clear glass, illumination, mechanical zerostop, FFP, 34mm tube, and did we mention the price? The ones we currently have in are:

1-5x24 XTR Ballistic 5.56 reticle (201000)
1-5x24 XTR Ballistic CQ Mil reticle (201001)
4-20x50 G2B Mil-Dot reticle (201040)
8-40x50 F Class MOA reticle (201080)

You can find them here

Burris Extreme Tactical Rifle Scope Sale Burris Rifle Scopes

I would like to Update this post with some personal observations for the Burris XTR IIs in the wild.

It's been a bit over a month since I paid a visit to Burris in Greeley and walked out the door with the XTR II line to use.

In that time I have put the 4-20x on a Colt LE901 as well I have the 5-25x on a Spartan Sniper's Hide Rifle, which was also loaned out during the SHC to a shooter from Germany.

10314009_740199629336896_401197560225760172_n.jpg

Finally, during the last month I have seen at least 10 students with them in classes I have taught locally.

I can report the scopes are holding up well to real world use. Not just staring through windows and spinning the knobs freely but actual use on the range against targets at distance. This includes targets beyond 1000 yards. They are accurate, repeatable, and appear to be durable with not a single scope going down. (I cannot report the same about the Littleton CO offering, in fact one died by 10:30 this past Sunday.)

I think for the price point and what Burris was looking to accomplish they nailed it with these scopes. I am seeing and hearing nothing but positive reviews from the end users. I think the overall sight picture is better than equally compared scopes in that price range, I think these are feature rich and in the most common and useful power ranges one can want.

If you looking for a scope with similar features but don't want to spend over $2500 for it, the Burris is definitely a consideration.

Thanks for the update Lowlight! I just purchased the 5-25x50 for my build sight unseen. I was looking at the viper pst and thought that was a pretty nice scope for the price and if the xtr ii wouldn't have been released I would have snatched up a pst. The good reviews I have read on this sight from the few people that have used them made the Burris an easy choice!

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Anyone heard any more on moa in the 5-25 category? .. Have an 8-40 on way but would love to get a 5-25 one in moa as well.. Are they going to go that route?...

Still waiting on a pair of 1.5x8x28's for my 3 gun rifles.

If those meet my expectations, the 5x25 will be in the hunt to go on my .308. Still waiting to hear more on these scopes and the Steiner T5Xi.

I looked at these on your website trey and on the scope information below, they were listed as second focal plane. I didn't think they were produced in sfp but didn't check into it... So the ones you have are indeed ffp? Your prices seem pretty good..

IMG_20140627_195259903_HDR.jpg2014-06-27 19.51.48.jpgok guys. had a long range session yesterday with my new baby. I was going through a break in with her as well as the scope. the clicks from behind the gun vs just out of the box does make a difference. from the box they felt a little mushy, when its locked down to something. I would call it soft but tracks perfectly. a friend of mine had his pst with him on a 308 and we compared in 11:00 sun with a little mirage floating. he wanted to trade and pay me 300. ;) so far I am very satisfied with it. it does seem to be a litte touchy on 25x. but not enough to talk crap about. we were shooting out to 500 and I kept it between 15-20x. heres the big question, if I had to buy it again after using it in the real world........ yes.

I just got my 5-25 out to the range first time to 300 and 600 yards. conditions were crappy - fog, followed by an insane mirage off the wet grass. I am just a beginner - so this is just IMHO, but even in these conditions, scope performed flawlessly. I was able to put under 1 MOA groups at 300 yards with residual fog and at 600 yards with heavy mirage! here is a picture of 2 groups at 300 yards - it was so foggy that I could not see the hits, so had to "fly by the seat of my pants" - drove out to the pits every 10 or so rounds to see the results so I could hold for wind. one note - I need to do the tracking test and figure out the real value of the click - I was constantly over the value from Strelok app I started using recently - at 300 yards - the app showed 1.4 mrad up from 100 yards zero, but I had to dial in 1.6 mrad, and at 600 it showed 4.6, but I ended with 5.0 mrad up

9652298.jpg

here is the idea of how foggy it was

9652306.jpg

at 600 yards target, from 15 hits, 13 were within 6" square with 2 flyers that took it to 8"

9652300.jpg

- I need to do the tracking test and figure out the real value of the click - I was constantly over the value from Strelok app I started using recently - at 300 yards - the app showed 1.4 mrad up from 100 yards zero, but I had to dial in 1.6 mrad, and at 600 it showed 4.6, but I ended with 5.0 mrad up]

It's most likely not the value of the turrets so much as it is a matter of truing up your ballistic program to your rifle/load.

There should be a setting in your program that will allow to adjust the firing data based on your bullets impact, not on where it says it "should" impact.

If your program says 1.4 mils is your 300 yard dope, and you impact 3 inches low at that distance, you enter it in. And if 4.6 mils impacts 14 inches low at 600 yards, you enter that in. Enter in 3 or 4 "real world" points of impact based on your software's firing solution, and the software will correlate that information and adjust it to your true points of impact.

My 8x40 had it's first match on Sunday under some brutally hot conditions and it performed flawlessly. I already have enough confidence with it to dial wind mid string, which is usually way out of my comfort zone. Having high magnification and FFP for a match rifle is the cat's meow. The mirage was at one of those levels where you could see it with your naked eye and the scoring rings were hard to make out, so being able to use the hash marks for corrections worked out great. The heat index on the uncovered range was somewhere around 108 before I pulled the trigger for the first time so needless to say there were some very sweaty hands doing the knob twisting. not once, even with hearing protection in, did I ever question how many clicks I moved. I have no problems at all with the feedback. I should have spent some time comparing the glass to other brands, but unfortunately my brain was just on "Get me to the swimming pool mode" after being baked in that heat.

I looked at these on your website trey and on the scope information below, they were listed as second focal plane. I didn't think they were produced in sfp but didn't check into it... So the ones you have are indeed ffp? Your prices seem pretty good..

The 1-5x24 is SFP. The 1.5-8x28 is both focal planes and everything from there on up is FFP

I initially wanted one of the new Steiner offerings, but these are looking awful good and the lackluster response from Steiner has me concerned.

I really like the 4-20 mag range.
While I know that glass is very subjective, I would really like some feedback on clarity and resolution.
I understand that they can't compete with the upper end of the spectrum, but I would like to know how they compete with the scopes in their price range (bushnell, vortex and sightron)

The glass is about equal to a PST from Vortex, I think the bigger scopes that Burris has produced gives you a better sight picture, (Bigger tube and Obj) but they are in line with each other. The Burris is definitely in line with its price point glass wise, but honestly I have yet to see someone miss during any kind of normal target shooting to debate glass from a "looks" standpoint. It's only when you go into specialized situations, NV, LowLight Hunting, etc do you find any real differences that can be quantified by eye. If people cant see something it's usually due to magnification or let's say mirage.

I agree the glass feels as good as the Vortex PST.

Mike @ CSTACTICAL

Somewhat disappointing as of the two PST's I looked through, one was unusable and couldn't discern .30 cal holes at two hundred yards, the other appeared much better than that, but then the bar had been set so low, it wasn't hard to surpass it. My Falcon Menace was clearer, sharper with better contrast and resolution than both.

I am going to surmise that these are probably equivalent to the sightron S Tac. Usable, but not note worthy.

Finally got my confirmation for my 5-25 today!!!!! been waiting 5 months

We just got some of the 4-20x50mm. I will be keeping one for myself.

Mike @ CSTACTICAL
Do us a solid Mike and run that puppy through it's paces.
I'd like to see a good write up on this model, plus some pics mounted on a rifle to get an idea of size etc...

ETA from our rep at Burris is late July

Thanks for the response.

Early July would have been better. Would have loved to grab them by the next 3 Gun match on the 12th. But one way or another, if I can get my hands on one by the end of July, I would be ok.

If you get them before my source does I may be giving you a call.

View attachment 41729View attachment 41730ok guys. had a long range session yesterday with my new baby. I was going through a break in with her as well as the scope. the clicks from behind the gun vs just out of the box does make a difference. from the box they felt a little mushy, when its locked down to something. I would call it soft but tracks perfectly. a friend of mine had his pst with him on a 308 and we compared in 11:00 sun with a little mirage floating. he wanted to trade and pay me 300. ;) so far I am very satisfied with it. it does seem to be a litte touchy on 25x. but not enough to talk crap about. we were shooting out to 500 and I kept it between 15-20x. heres the big question, if I had to buy it again after using it in the real world........ yes.
Can you tell me what rings you're running? Very nice rig by the way!

nightforce ultra-light med height. 6 bolt. thanks. I need to do some load development. I went to a local shop who had retumbo and when I got there I found out that Tim McWhorter had been there the day before and bought all 18lbs they had. :mad: I did manage to get a box of 210berg hunting bullets as a consolation prize. and admin, im sorry for the planet linc below.
Nightforce Ring Set - 34mm - Ultralite FREE S&H A210, A214, A208, A223, A224, A226, A216, A227. NightForce Riflescope Mounts, Rings & Bases.

Last edited:
I initially wanted one of the new Steiner offerings, but these are looking awful good and the lackluster response from Steiner has me concerned.

I really like the 4-20 mag range.
While I know that glass is very subjective, I would really like some feedback on clarity and resolution.
I understand that they can't compete with the upper end of the spectrum, but I would like to know how they compete with the scopes in their price range (bushnell, vortex and sightron)

I shot my 5x25 side by side to a pst on a 700 tactical 308. my friend wanted to trade me +$300. no deal!!! clarity is very good. I personally prefer it over my sightron on my 25-06. Ive never been on the bushnell train, so I cant tell you about it. long story short, I love my new scope, and if I had the money I would buy another one!

Got a 8-40 in Friday, got rings for it in today..

First impressions are good.. View at 40x is actually much better than I expected for a thousand dollar scope!..

Turrets seem very functional just playing with it.. But I will take some time over the holiday to take some pics and throw some info back on here

fdkay, here is a photo for you. I have the 4-20 on my .260. The rifle is a Remington 700 in an AICS with a 21" barrel and a TBAC suppressor. The shooter in the photo is my 12 year old, so he makes the rifle look a bit bigger. The scope is also mounted in a Warne One Piece for the AR platform...as I could not wait to shoot it and did not have the rings I wanted to use yet.

The glass is certainly better than the glass on the PSTs and Bushnells I owned.

Attachments

• 260 XTRII 4-20red.jpg
    260 XTRII 4-20red.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 22
The glass is certainly better than the glass on the PSTs and Bushnells I owned.

That is good to hear, and I like the looks of the scope. Glad they didn't go extra large like some of the "tactical" scopes.
I'm seriously torn between this and the new steiner offering, though there is a price difference, they are not that far apart from each other.
I just get a better feeling when I call Burris and someone actually answers or returns your call.

Just my opinion, but unless you plan a lot of long range shooting in dusk/dark, you will never see a performance difference between the XTRII and the Steiner at the same magnification. Maybe a tad when you get to the edges, but I don't spend much time looking at the edges of the sight picture either. Shooting the PST 6-24 on the same rifle over a few years, I literally took it off and sold it the day after I shot my Pronghorn at 680 yards. It was terrible with snow on the ground and the edges were hazy. I was going to just put a MTAC 6.5-20 on it since my .308 wore an MTAC which I preferred. When the XTRII came out, I had to pinch myself to make sure I was not dreaming. Either way, I know you will be happy with whichever one you choose.

I've had the 3-15 for a couple weeks now, but haven't been able to test it out much yet. So far it seems to be a good buy at it's price point. Hope to get out and use it more soon.

got mine today after 5 months..... It's a giant beast!!! BUT a lovely one. I have it in the 6x6 burris XT rings on a seekins 20MOA base. I like how it comes from the factory setup for a 20MOA base

I did mine through Burris. I used the Leo purchase program. Been in email contact with one of their reps since April

Bought a Kahles K624i AMR several months ago, and like it so much that I'm trying to sell a rifle or two in order to buy another one for my other main comp rifle. But for my tactical rifles that don't see much match use, I'm really looking forward to getting the opportunity to look through one of the XTR II 5-25 models - one of the guys in the club I shoot with most often finally got one a week or so ago. Mainly want to compare it to the glass in my Bushy 3.5-21x50 GZA, then make a decision whether to get one of the XTR IIs, or go with another Bushnell. From what I'm reading here, it sounds like the Bushnell's glass is maybe a cut above what Burris is using in these scopes, but if there's not a lot of difference, I'd like to try the Burris.

Seems like the 5-25x50 version is scarce for some reason. I see a bunch of 4-20 and 8-40 but not the 5-25

Sighting mine in tomorrow. Will give a report. Also don't be an idiot like me and realize the turrets have TWO set screws when you set your turrets to zero