• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Burris XTR Pro 🇺🇸

Does achieving the mentioned wear and patina involve bashing the scope into a barricade repeatedly? Asking for a friend… 🤣
Haha, I've already done that. Banged my bell housing up good, and so far, the patina hasn't materialized. So that's a no 🤣

Last edited:
I'm not finding these locally unfortunately. Since expert voice doesn't have them listed and Burris won't do direct sales since they do expert voice now, any idea where the best price is for these currently?

Thank you BigJohn and Baron, that helps a lot. Surprised to hear you say turrets are a wash Baron, I’ve always thought Kahles had excellent turrets - better than most, turrets on my XTR III are nice but not Kahles nice, so it sounds like Burris improved that as well.

I just sent my XTR III back to Burris as the mag ring is super hard to turn and I’d hoped it would loosen up over time but it hasn’t, that along with the knurling on the XTR III (someone called them dragon scales and I’d agree) that digs into your fingers make for an unpleasant combination. It is nice to see the XTR Pro changed their knurling and looks like it’d be much more comfortable.

Based on my ongoing review of the Razor Gen III 6-36, the new glass coming from Japan is absolutely superb (best I’ve seen yet from the Far East), if Burris spec’d something similar I can’t wait to see one!

Outside of my own thoughts on PRS and predetermined ranges, does anyone have another purpose for the race dial or is it really only meant for PRS specifically?
I actually use the Race Dial on my 18x XTRIII on my hunting rifle. It makes all those custom dials hunters have been buying for the past decade obsolete.

I enter approximate elevation and environmentals and I mark my scope for my 300 Norma from 200 to 800 yards in 25yd increments and tape it off. I just pop the range and dial.

The other option being buying glass with a LRF/ballistic solver, but I've yet to find binos with as good of glass as my hunting binos. I have an LRF in mine and I dial the range. And unlike custom turrets, the Race Dial is customizable for any rifle or round. Not just the specific rifle with a specific bullet and speed.

Reactions: xpshooter
I'm not finding these locally unfortunately. Since expert voice doesn't have them listed and Burris won't do direct sales since they do expert voice now, any idea where the best price is for these currently?
Typically brand new releases are not offered in mil/LE programs, you have to wait a while as demand usually outpaces supply at the release of a new product. So this just leaves the normal dealer network.

Reactions: Ericsl2
I actually use the Race Dial on my 18x XTRIII on my hunting rifle. It makes all those custom dials hunters have been buying for the past decade obsolete.

I enter approximate elevation and environmentals and I mark my scope for my 300 Norma from 200 to 800 yards in 25yd increments and tape it off. I just pop the range and dial.

The other option being buying glass with a LRF/ballistic solver, but I've yet to find binos with as good of glass as my hunting binos. I have an LRF in mine and I dial the range. And unlike custom turrets, the Race Dial is customizable for any rifle or round. Not just the specific rifle with a specific bullet and speed.
I am assuming you mark it for the day based on the atmospheric conditions and hope they don’t change much?

Reactions: Birddog6424
Typically brand new releases are not offered in mil/LE programs, you have to wait a while as demand usually outpaces supply at the release of a new product. So this just leaves the normal dealer network.
Makes sense, but i would think some retailers are below msrp and maybe running of map. If be willing to pay a little more than the mil/leo discount to not have to wait and to help a hide supporting business out

Thank you BigJohn and Baron, that helps a lot. Surprised to hear you say turrets are a wash Baron, I’ve always thought Kahles had excellent turrets - better than most, turrets on my XTR III are nice but not Kahles nice, so it sounds like Burris improved that as well.

I just sent my XTR III back to Burris as the mag ring is super hard to turn and I’d hoped it would loosen up over time but it hasn’t, that along with the knurling on the XTR III (someone called them dragon scales and I’d agree) that digs into your fingers make for an unpleasant combination. It is nice to see the XTR Pro changed their knurling and looks like it’d be much more comfortable.

Based on my ongoing review of the Razor Gen III 6-36, the new glass coming from Japan is absolutely superb (best I’ve seen yet from the Far East), if Burris spec’d something similar I can’t wait to see one!

Outside of my own thoughts on PRS and predetermined ranges, does anyone have another purpose for the race dial or is it really only meant for PRS specifically?
I just received an xtr3 Friday and didn’t get to mess with it before the comp yesterday. I just mounted it and started to play with it. It’s obviously not fair to compare the xtr3 and the pro since I don’t have them side by side. But comparing the xtr3 to my kahles that we compared yesterday.

The xtr3 texturing is very aggressive, too much in my opinion and I work with my hands for a living and they are rough and calloused hands.

My example has a smooth mag adjustment, little firmer than my kahles but good.

The elevation turret on the xtr3 are not as nice as the kahles. They are not bad but don’t have that satisfying click click click. And they are a little firmer to turn. The xtr3 turrets still click and are audible if that matters to people.

As far as the glass goes. The Burris impressed me again. It seemed to be brighter. The kahles doesn’t have as bright or pop that the burris has but the kahles resolves details better.

I’m very impressed with both the xtr3 and the pro. Hoping to be able to pick up a pro for my match rifle and the xtr3 on my 223 trainer. Honestly, I would be very happy with just another xtr3 but I would upgrade for the quick release turrets and toolless rezero on the pro I think will be worth having.

Yes the Kahles turret did feel good but I actually liked the XTR Pro a little better. I believe @Baron85 said he had a XTR III and the turret feel on the XTR Pro was a great improvement. The Kahles and Pro both felt similar but the combination of a lager turret and 12 mil per rev made the clicks more distinct to me. The Kahles had the 14mil/rev turret so the clicks were closer and finer. The new Kahles with 10mil/rev turrets would be a tight race. The textures on the Pro turrets are great, plenty of purchase but no digging in. No sharp edges that I could feel.

As for the race dial, we were discussing it some. It would be very easy to mark your dope for various ranges, like a custom turret, and write in a predetermined wind speed, say a full value 5mph at each mark. I believe @D_TROS has a picture of something similar on the last few pages for a match. I could see it being very useful on hunts where you are constantly changing directions and ranges such as coyote or hog hunting.

EDIT:

Here is the BDC turret D_TROS made, post #379

E9487295-62A7-4C57-ACD6-550A0977A692.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Glassaholic
I believe I heard from one of the fellas at Burris that the knurling on the new XTR3i is being toned down a bit.

That should help clean up the sharper edges on the turret and mag ring. Especially on the stiffer turning parts.

Can you set up the zero stop and still go at least 2 mils below zero stop on the XTR Pro ? I was really really impressed with the demo I saw at the range

Don't forget to account for coriolis
Wow you really are obtuse.

Take a 143 eldx at 2650 FPS. It will gives you a 5.5-6.0 mph wind and a SDF of 1.9
Dial -1.9 or -2.0 depending on the environments and then your reticle mils will match the distance up to 750 yards. No math, no ballistic calculator, quick way to be within +/- 0.1-0.2 mils at different distances without having to look up your dope. If you set your zero stop to your SDF you can do it without looking.

Reactions: screaminweasil
Why not just get a Leupold CDS dial...............laughing my ass off

Because there's a time for dialing and a time for holding over ?
Because a CDS dial doesn't account for different loads, different density altitude, different temperature affecting velocity ?
Because a fair amount of people own switch barrel rifles and use offsets for ?

Attachments

• screaminweasil.jpg
    screaminweasil.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 56
Because there's a time for dialing and a time for holding over ?
Because a CDS dial doesn't account for different loads, different density altitude, different temperature affecting velocity ?
Because a fair amount of people own switch barrel rifles and use offsets for ?
Hahaha. Got ya there buddy. That was fun.
Don't forget to take your Captopril...........you might have an aneurysm.

I look forward to a direct comparison between the new pro and Gen 3 razor. I'll say the Gen 3 is something to behold. Particularly, at the prices that can be had through certain Hide vendors.
It would be great to see these new Burris directly compete. I hope they do well, that new Razor is something else, but only allows .5 Mil below zero, so obviously a non starter for some professionals....haha

ATACR goes -2 mil.

Athlon Cronus does too, can be set manually.
ATACR can be set to whatever value you want below the zero setting provided that you are not maxed out. I have not tried to set it below -2 MILs from zero but I believe it can go further.

This is one of the handiest features of the ATACR, especially when using switch barrel rifles like an AI

Reactions: st1650
I look forward to a direct comparison between the new pro and Gen 3 razor. I'll say the Gen 3 is something to behold. Particularly, at the prices that can be had through certain Hide vendors.
It would be great to see these new Burris directly compete. I hope they do well, that new Razor is something else, but only allows .5 Mil below zero, so obviously a non starter for some professionals....haha
Unless the pro got a major glass upgrade, gen3 will smoke it optically. I had 3 different xtr3s, really wanted to like them, but the glass in all 3 had the mid price Japanese heavy blue tint, turrets were stiff, mag ring stiff, seemed to take excessive tuning to get the ocular focus correct for parallax to be eliminated with both planes focused at multiple distances. My eyes just never agreed with the xtr3 system. We are all slightly optically different and will all see things a bit differently, good thing there are many pieces of glass to choose from. Next guy might love it, but for me, I should have sold them months ago, cuz Doug at cameraland destroyed the 2nd hand market. Shows you were the profit margin really was on these scopes.

Reactions: screaminweasil
Wow you really are obtuse.

Take a 143 eldx at 2650 FPS. It will gives you a 5.5-6.0 mph wind and a SDF of 1.9
Dial -1.9 or -2.0 depending on the environments and then your reticle mils will match the distance up to 750 yards. No math, no ballistic calculator, quick way to be within +/- 0.1-0.2 mils at different distances without having to look up your dope. If you set your zero stop to your SDF you can do it without looking.

Well, I learned something new tonight. That method really takes some mental gymnastics.

The PRO with the tool less reset should work good for this system. Pop the turret off and put it back on 1.9-2 mils high. Then dial back to zero. Bingo ready for hold overs in seconds.

Well, I learned something new tonight. That method really takes some mental gymnastics.

The PRO with the tool less reset should work good for this system. Pop the turret off and put it back on 1.9-2 mils high. Then dial back to zero. Bingo ready for hold overs in seconds.
Glad you got it. I'm too Obtuse..........man I really hate being insulted by Millenials

Unless the pro got a major glass upgrade, gen3 will smoke it optically. I had 3 different xtr3s, really wanted to like them, but the glass in all 3 had the mid price Japanese heavy blue tint, turrets were stiff, mag ring stiff, seemed to take excessive tuning to get the ocular focus correct for parallax to be eliminated with both planes focused at multiple distances. My eyes just never agreed with the xtr3 system. We are all slightly optically different and will all see things a bit differently, good thing there are many pieces of glass to choose from. Next guy might love it, but for me, I should have sold them months ago, cuz Doug at cameraland destroyed the 2nd hand market. Shows you were the profit margin really was on these scopes.
I'm sure the 3 will blow it away. Whenever I get my Cameraland Special.............I'll be sure to comment about the XTR 3. It's going to have a very hard time standing up to the new Bushnell XRS3..........which is by far and away, the best Jap glass I've looked through besides the New Gen 3 Razor.

I can’t speak for the Bushnell XRS3 but I felt the demo XTR Pro I briefly looked through was a slight notch better than my Cronus and Razor Gen II.

I imagine you can change the zero stop on the Gen3 Razor just would involve deviating from the "correct" zeroing procedure.

Are we talking about the Gen3 that dropped for $3k then others were doing $2500?
Yes, i purchased both mine for cheaper than that. The 4k msrp is dumb, 3k is still too high. The gen3 better outperform the xtr pro just from the price point. Doesn't mean that it will though.

Looks like Camerland has stock on the Pro based on the email I got from them this morning.

Reactions: Chasing3
I'm starting to see reviews trickle out from the early buyers. Folks are really liking the Pro.

"“After spending some time behind this gem, I must say it is probably the highest performing scope per dollar I have ever used.”"
- @wyomingprecisionarmsfws speaking about the XTR Pro

Last edited:
Reactions: BigJohn141
Can you set up the zero stop and still go at least 2 mils below zero stop on the XTR Pro ? I was really really impressed with the demo I saw at the range

ATACR can be set to whatever value you want below the zero setting provided that you are not maxed out. I have not tried to set it below -2 MILs from zero but I believe it can go further.

This is one of the handiest features of the ATACR, especially when using switch barrel rifles like an AI

under the turret is a brass triangle.

Factory setting stops the turret at 0
Flip it over gives a -0.4
take it out and it can go down till turret hits. All scopes will be different here. Will not effect function.

Pro - turret inside.jpg

added the 4
Pro turret 4.jpg

even switching barrels, which I do alot with all these divisions and weight classes popping up, having that .4 under has been plenty. if its more than .4, its super easy to loose quick detach turret and go up to 2 mils and tighten quickly without allens. I agree tho it sure is nice having the ability to dial below zero.

Regards
DT

Last edited:
under the turret is a bass triangle.

take it out and it can go down till turret hits. All scopes will be different here. Will not effect function.

View attachment 7822614

even switching barrels, which I do alot with all these divisions and weight classes popping up, having that .4 under has been plenty. if its more than .4, its super easy to loose quick detach turret and go up to 2 mils and tighten quickly without allens. I agree tho it sure is nice having the ability to dial below zero.

Regards
DT
Pretty cool feature! Quick and easy on the fly.

Glad you posted that. I knew it would go below zero, but didn't know how to do it.

Co
My son shot his first match and NRL ever this weekend. He is 9. Had a pretty good battle for top youth with another kid and edged him on the last day by 1 point!! 90 to 89. Unbelievable. So much stress for me.

Not only was he top youth but he was 13th overall. Still geeking out.

He used the XTR Pro for the whole match and it tracked amazing on my rifle as well as his. The large FOV made it easy for him to find his targets, which if you shoot with kids you know to be a big problem.

We def need to work on our comms and my patients lol but I am so impressed with him doing so well with this scope. Also, its the first time he shot a large bore rifle (6.5x47) and even tho it had a huge brake, he didnt complain for recoil. hashtaghumblebrag haha. he did complain about the weight tho. it was 15 lbs. ha. still finished the match carrying all his own gear and ammo.

I tied my career best at a 2 day match with 2nd overall. This scope has no problems tracking and I am still impressed with the glass.

a pic for fun:

View attachment 7812768

View attachment 7812772

Regards
DT
Congratulations to you and your son. Really enjoyed meeting you both at the Oklahoma match. Now I wish I would have spent some time behind your scope. I have a Minox in Germany getting repaired/replaced and am in the market for a replacement.

Reactions: D_TROS

Good review. Super surprised there no battery or throw lever. Also surprised it fared so well against the Kahles. I have felt for along time Kahles has some of the best glass under the very top tier. Time will tell...

Glad it worked out at the match tho. Top 3's are awesome and very tough! Ive been telling people for years having your data on the turret makes for AT LEAST one extrra shot on tight times and helps keep focus and cheek weld.

I've seen the slight gapping on the line alignment of the turret as well. I believe it can be negated by making sure the toolless turret is hard up against the zero stop. Perhaps that why it lined up for you after you reset the zero.

I like to zero the turret at some number above 0 on any scope with a hard zero stop. that way it can be perfectly centered.

Still super weird it comes off on a couple numbers then comes back. Glad to see it didnt effect performance...now to check if mine do this.

I felt a xtr3 at a match the other day I was RO'ing and was shocked how much better the turrets, zoomz ring and clicks feel. I asked a burris guy whats the deal and they said they are getting better at making scopes. Glad to know. SImiliar to the XTR2 there were some early growing pains that seem to be stamped out. I hope the new illuminated ones dont have the same issues. The production ones are supposed to be coming in county verry soon. I guess I shouldnt say that as some people get upset if there isnt a hard date...lol.

As mentioned, and why I am glad the Pro comes with a typical black turret (albeit with LARGE numbers that I love) the target turret primarily is for competitions. That being said, what other type of shooting disciplines are there?

Hunting? Playing? 4H?
Wouldnt take much imagination to apply to all of those. Esp hunting. Make a turret as I show above the day before hunting, and another turret if ur worried about inclement weather to keep in pocket. even a 2000 - 4000 da change at 500 and under is negligable on a 12-18 inch kill zone...

I wish you were still local I would totally meet up and have a shoot off with all our scopes lol.

Regards
DT

Co

Congratulations to you and your son. Really enjoyed meeting you both at the Oklahoma match. Now I wish I would have spent some time behind your scope. I have a Minox in Germany getting repaired/replaced and am in the market for a replacement.

That was a fun match. and the ZP5 is one of my favorite scopes as well. You will do well with it. But what happened? you dont hear of many of them going down.

See you around!
DT

View attachment 7822614

added the 4
View attachment 7822650

Regards
DT

High IQ post right there.

That was a fun match. and the ZP5 is one of my favorite scopes as well. You will do well with it. But what happened? you dont hear of many of them going down.

See you around!
DT
I have two of the ZP5 and the one on my 223 wouldn't track. The one I used in Oklahoma on my 6.5 is doing fine, just not sure I will keep them both after the trouble I had with the one. I would give up a little in the glass quality department to get a more reliable scope with a faster warranty response. My first FFP scope was an XTRII 5-25 and it was a tank. Never had any issues.

View attachment 7822614

added the 4
View attachment 7822650

Regards
DT
The ATACR is more complicated. The ZS in my ATACRs is set differently.

There is a clutch plate when you remove the turret that sets the ZS. See photo from the manual.

ATACR 7_35x56 ZS Clutch Plate.jpg

It allows you to set it below zero to practically whatever you want.

Not debating about the amount you need. When I switch from 308 to 338 LM, I believe I need a little more than 0.4

The ATACR is more complicated. The ZS in my ATACRs is set differently.

There is a clutch plate when you remove the turret that sets the ZS. See photo from the manual.

View attachment 7822658

It allows you to set it below zero to practically whatever you want.

Not debating about the amount you need. When I switch from 308 to 338 LM, I believe I need a little more than 0.4
Definitely more complicated on the ATACR. But it looks like both will meet the needs of shooters wanting to be under their zero.

Thanks for posting that.

Reactions: Nik H
The ATACR is more complicated by a little. The ZS in my ATACRs is set differently.

View attachment 7822658

It allows you to set it to practically whatever you want.

I guess I just don't understand the problem here. Switch barrels, pop the turret off and adjust the zero. Replace turret. Shoot like a coked up ape.

I guess I just don't understand the problem here. Switch barrels, pop the turret off and adjust the zero. Replace turret. Shoot like a coked up ape.
I keep notes and laminated sheets with offsets from zero for the other calibers I use. Being able to adjust the turret below zero on the fly is super easy and doesn't require me removing and fumbling with the turret in the field which I would FUBAR without question

Reactions: st1650
I keep notes and laminated sheets with offsets from zero for the other calibers I use. Being able to adjust the turret below zero on the fly is super easy and doesn't require me removing and fumbling with the turret in the field which I would FUBAR without question

Im a little confused...you are dialing below zero in a match situation?

I agree I would never mess with turrets in the field/matches...only when zeroing.

and if you just mean notes when switching barrels I applaud your note taking skills I would lose that notebook in less than my second range trip lol.

I get for other calibers... but might ague the applicability as I switch from a light weight 6 br, super heavy comp contour 6br and a 6.5x47 and ive always been close enough to just loosed cap and rezero. sometimes even right on.

of course we could all stop being poors and buy more scopes lol.

ps I like your sig. I hope it happens sooner than later as I dont want my kids to have to deal with it. ha. selfish I know lol.

Last edited:
I felt a xtr3 at a match the other day I was RO'ing and was shocked how much better the turrets, zoomz ring and clicks feel. I asked a burris guy whats the deal and they said they are getting better at making scopes. Glad to know. SImiliar to the XTR2 there were some early growing pains that seem to be stamped out. I hope the new illuminated ones dont have the same issues. The production ones are supposed to be coming in county verry soon. I guess I shouldnt say that as some people get upset if there isnt a hard date...lol.
I have no doubt, I have seen this with multiple manufacturers in the past, incremental upgrades through the lifecycle of the model and not much mentioned about them. I'm looking forward to seeing how Burris can improve upon my XTR III mag resistance, I have no doubt they will make it right.
As mentioned, and why I am glad the Pro comes with a typical black turret (albeit with LARGE numbers that I love) the target turret primarily is for competitions. That being said, what other type of shooting disciplines are there?
ZCO got this right (large numbers) and as you mention on the Pro, I wish TT and even Vortex Gen III would have paid attention, lot of space on those beefy turrets with tiny little numbers only 18 year olds can read :LOL:
Hunting? Playing? 4H?
Wouldnt take much imagination to apply to all of those. Esp hunting. Make a turret as I show above the day before hunting, and another turret if ur worried about inclement weather to keep in pocket. even a 2000 - 4000 da change at 500 and under is negligable on a 12-18 inch kill zone...
Thanks for the tips on other uses, my brain needs help sometimes and now it makes more sense beyond stages at PRS, and birddog was right with regard to not worrying too much about the differences atmospheric changes will make with many of our modern day cartridges and bullets.
I wish you were still local I would totally meet up and have a shoot off with all our scopes lol.
Me too Dorgan, wish we could have found time to shoot when I was out there. If you ever make it out to Altus let me know and I can meet you up there ;)

Looking forward to getting my hands on a Pro at some point in the near future :)

Reactions: Birddog6424
Im a little confused...you are dialing below zero in a match situation?

I agree I would never mess with turrets in the field...only when zeroing.

and if you just mean notes when switching barrels I applaud your note taking skills I would lose that notebook in less than my second range trip lol.

I get for other calibers... but might ague the applicability as I switch from a light weight 6 br, super heavy comp contour 6br and a 6.5x47 and ive always been close enough to just loosed cap and rezero. sometimes even right on.

of course we could all stop being poors and buy more scopes lol.

ps I like your sig. I hope it happens sooner than later as I dont want my kids to have to deal with it. ha. selfish I know lol.
No not in a match by any means but some places I get to shoot are not square range and I would hate to drop the turret or set screw in the field. Ask me how I know that...LOL

I do change calibers when out in the field and my 338 LM is a bit different than either 6.5 CM, 308 or 6mm Creedmoor. I don't worry about losing my data book as it is large and thick. I have many laminated cards on a bright neon green carabiner so hard to lose. If I lost that, well, time to get the shovel.

I have a few tier one scopes but more scopes mean more rifles. The reason I love my AI is one rifle, one position, one trigger...really helps the consistency. However, I am a scope whore and my latest thought is the new 8-40 ZCO or I may finally break down and buy a TT...not sure.

Thanks for the sig comment

Happy trails

Well guys, I put my money where my mouth is. I was seriously so impressed with big johns burris pro that I just sold my kahles tonight and will be ordering a pro tomorrow. Can’t wait to get more time with the pro!

Well guys, I put my money where my mouth is. I was seriously so impressed with big johns burris pro that I just sold my kahles tonight and will be ordering a pro tomorrow. Can’t wait to get more time with the pro!
I can’t wait for the next match to run them together lol. You are going to love the race dial. I gotta cut out to Oklahoma to pack up stuff at my old house so I will probably catch the Cheyenne or Laramie match.

Reactions: Glassaholic