• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR3!!!

Can you disclose who the vendors are that will be getting the 5.5x30? I think one might be right at home on a 22LR trainer I am going to finish in the next few weeks...

Believe me brother I wish I knew.. but I'm not in that loop..

That will definitely be a great optic for it. I run a 223 Ackley Improved for a trainer and have a ball with it. In Wyoming a few weeks back for the Hornady PRC I was just goofing off with it, and plunked a 1178 yard target on the first round using the bulk Hornady 75gr BTHP. Having an inexpensive rifle to get trigger time on is a lot of fun.

The 223AI is a favorite of mine.Im running 75gr amax bullets and I am very happy with it.

Reactions: Birddog6424
Can you disclose who the vendors are that will be getting the 5.5x30? I think one might be right at home on a 22LR trainer I am going to finish in the next few weeks...
Are you wondering which vendors will be getting the XTR III scopes? I would imagine every vendor who has orders with Burris will have access to order, but maybe you're asking which vendor will be getting the "first" orders and for that you will need to contact Burris directly and see if they can provide any insight. I would also check with the following Hide vendors (in no particular order) Jason at eurooptic.com (@Baner), Richard at cstactical.com (@CSTactical), Doug at Cameralandny.com (@gr8fuldoug) and Marshall at sportoptics (@MarshalC_SportOptics ) and Scott at libertyoptics.com (@LibertyOptics ) - all these guys are Burris dealers and are a pleasure to work with, they will treat you right!

I would have called it something to get away from the XTR and made more of the fact it’s a USA made scope.

I tried trust me. For some reason they didn't go for 'BRIGHT ANGLULAR MINUTE FINESSE" scope or BAMF for short...lol

end of day who cares, its gonne be way sweeter than the 2 and that's all that matters.

DT

• Haha
Reactions: Glassaholic
Initial impressions...i like that box! lol

52434F18-BBD2-49D8-B9C0-6B946A1A04AB.jpeg

DT

I still dont have the exact vendors to answer this question. But I do have more info.

Our shooters were sent these scopes next day air, and they want some immediate feedback. We are the last set of eyes to put these through their paces to make sure the production and QC staff in Greeley didnt miss anything. Every step is being taken to insure a smooth roll out.

Having said that, folks are chomping at the bit to get these out to you guys. There are a LOT of these sitting in Greeley just waiting to go on a pony. Once they get the final green light, they are going out.

They are probably just waiting for Dorgan's unboxing video. You just cant have a good rollout without an unboxing video..

Reactions: Wyzrd
Looking forward to your input on the scope. Thank's for the info.

Initial impressions

-Box is nice
-Turrets have a nice click to them. Nothing mushy here.
-Really like the retc
-Paralax knob tension perfect
-Windage knob, due to the smaller diameter, is harder to rotate. That's expected as with the larger uncapped wind knob will spin lots easier. Pretty happy with this honestly as I don't want it bumped anyway.

-Havnt looked outside yet to check glass, got home after dark. Will be doing some comparisons with my M7Xi, T5Xi, March, TT, and XTR2.

Regards,
DT

Here are my thoughts so far..

I slapped mine on my 223 Ackley (my PRS rifle is in the shop getting rebarreled), I leveled it up and headed to the range. It took me less than 60 seconds to set the diopter, I locked it into place, took 3 shots to find zero, did a quick T test that looked good, and started walking it out. 500, 600, 700, and 920 yards. It matched all my dope from my XTR II.

It definitely shines at some of the XTR IIs weak spots. Parallax was a breeze to tune out, and the eyebox was very generous and user friendly even at 30x. I was dropping right into it every time I got behind it even though I basically just tossed it in the rings. FOV is fantastic. I was transitioning from a 270, 320, and 400 yard target on 16x without issue.

I got up early this morning and headed out again to get a look at the glass in a different light. It's clear and bright. If CA is there in my scope it's difficult discern so far. It looks like there might be just a little bit there at 30x, but if it's there it's well controlled. Depth of field looks very good as well. There is no tunneling at 5x, and looking at a 25 yard target from 5x to 30x, there was no distortion, it was pretty clean from edge to edge.

As I mentioned in my feed back to Burris, right out of the box the turrets are very stiff. I like a stiff turret myself, bit these were a little much. I worked them pretty good traveling repeatedly throughout their range of motion and they loosened up significantly. This morning they felt pretty good. They are stiffer than the XTR II, but they provide a lot more tactile and audible feedback. They give an incredibly definitive click for each movement.

So that's what I have so far. It will be interesting to see where the glass stacks up when more people start getting them in their hands. But I would say we are off to a good start.

Last edited:
Good feedback. Looking forward to the release of the 3.3. The current US March dealer is retiring and I couldn't resist the prices they had on some demo scopes, so picked up a 3-24 ffp. I will pick up the Burris 3.3 and see which one I like best. There is a lot I like about the March, and will be interesting to see how the Burris stacks up.

Reactions: Moose and D_TROS
What's the price on these? I cant wait for a comparison towards the new nightforce optics.

PART 2 UNBOXING

Man its been fun but i made 2 glaring mistakes (thanks obama) First is the 1903 Springfield is WW2 not 1. oops. I panicked. And 2 one tick right of the top is 4 not 5 lol oops.

Other than that doing some comparisons to other scopes. Will be shooting Raton Field match this sunday if anyone wanna see it.

Compared to just get quick FOV numbers

at 20x from center to edge of scope

Sig = 8.3 mils
Steiner = 8.6 mils
NF = 10.4 mils
XTR3 = 10.4 mils

March =
TT =

On my new baby (Kelbly Blackbear in a KTS stock) its looking very good :love:

9C41A361-AEC3-44C7-ADEA-79A41C69FB63.jpeg

F7192E96-48E3-4AE0-95C5-A682DB23A0E5.jpeg

Regards,
DT

Last edited:
I was not all that interested before but that massive FOV has piqued my interest. Very interested in how it performs above 20x compared to the others you have @D_TROS. Just when I thought didn’t need another optic :rolleyes:

Reactions: D_TROS
I hit the range with it again today. I certainly like the scope. But I'm not going to push the boundaries or make suggestions of what I think it will or wont be, I'll let you guys decide for yourselves on that.

Some aspects I can point out that I do enjoy about the scope that I think most people will enjoy are the larger turrets. They really do feel great. The knob is larger than the XTR2, and now that I have some time working them in, I really enjoy the feel of them. As i mentioned, they are a little stiffer, but they are one of the most tactile knobs I have felt on a scope. You dont even have to watch your clicks, it's very easy to tell. The numbers and indicators are on the turrets are correspondingly larger as well. Very easy to see.

I also enjoy the very small, but smart change to the turret reset. They moved the Allen screws from the rear of the turret, where you had to lean over the scope to find them, to the front of the turret. And put two little grey dash line indicators to show you where they are (pictured below). The guy who came up with that should get a raise!

I really wanted to try to get a feel for the depth of view today, but by the time I got to the range, mirage was atrocious. But I'm very impressed with the quality of the parallax on this scope. It's truly a polar opposite from the XTR2 in how easy and effective the parallax knob is on the XTR3. I was able to get full crisp focus on an 18 yard target. I was able to play with bringing a 500 yard plate into focus (which was damn near dead on the 500 yard indicator on the knob) and playing with backing it off to watch the mirage. I dialed up to 30x and was watching mirage wash across and boil with amazing detail. It was more like looking through my Razor spotter than my rifles scopes.

It's still looking good to me. I havent run across anything bad yet. Though it's still been difficult to get a really good feel for the glass. Conditions have been pretty crappy every time I go out. I need a nice early morning that I can compare it to some other optics.

Well I switched the XTR 3 over to my 223 for my next 2 matches (Raton SRM this past Sunday and Ireland Guardian at the end of the month.

IMG_4088.jpg

For those of you that don't know, Raton NM hosts the SRM Match on the NRA Whittington Center. 10 stages. 6 targets per stage. 1 shot per stage. I shot pretty well but had several blunders. Started off awesome by forgetting my pack at home which had my ear pro, tripod, kestrel, and sling in it. Made for a long day. Esp on the stage where you have to be elevated about 30" to clear a brush pile.

After the smoke cleared, my squad walked a little more than 5 miles (we started on stage 2 so had to essentially walk the course 4 times - 1 walking in, 1 shooting across, 1 walking back to stage 1, and 1 walking out from 1. Made for a long, but very fun day. Love this place. Favorite match of the year. Was super happy to end up shooting a 48/60 on the day. No bad stages, just didn't capitalize when I needed to. The tripod stage hurt and an easy prone stage, we had a target go down and I missed the near target both times. Very annoying this shooting sport lol.

IMG_4102.JPG

Anyways to the point, the XTR3 is a fantastic scope. The glass was great and more often than not I was able to catch trace on my bullet. Granted its a 223, but its still awesome to catch that. At no time did I notice or was I able to see any CA and the resolution made all target acquisition very quick and easy.

FOV was in one word amazing. Very rarely did I have to zoom zoom down to find targets and when I did it was easy to quickly find the targets.

One thing you will notice almost instantly while looking through this scope is that the "black ring" inside the scope is almost non-existent. I don't know how Burris did it, but it is possibly my favorite feature of the whole scope package. Its almost like the scope "disappears" when looking through it. hashtaglove

Zeroing the scope on my rifle was a wiz. My biggest pet peeve on a scope is when you need to rezero the knobs and cant get the allen in the hole that is on the opposite side of the turret so you have to either get up or twist the knobs. so redic that scope manufactures did this. The new XTR3 has the 2 allen holes on the back side right in front of your face for easy knob rezero. Love this.

IMG_4101.JPG

The knobs were very clicky but almost too firm for me. Just a disclaimer, I much prefer the dreaded "mushy" clicks the old M5 steiners were known for. That being said, the clicks are very tactile and ea click clunks into place no problem. Cranked up to 20 mils above my zero, the hashes lined up perfectly. Towards the end of the day, I was quite used to the knobs and was really enjoying the stiffer more pronounced clicks.

Last part that caught my eye is the new SCR-2 retc. The .1mil wide center floating cross is so small it doesn't block any of the target while allowing a very precise hold. This match this weekend had several small targets on the close stages. Usually they make me nervous due to the small size makes for an easy miss if your wind is off even as little as .1 or .2 on your hold. With this small center cross, it was like I could be more precise (0.05 wind hold on the left tip of cross) and just really mainly added to my confidence.

The only time I did a hold over was on the bush pile stage and that was due to short time allowed and shaky position. Not the experience Ill need in a PRS match but it worked without a hiccup.

Overall, very happy. Cant wait for them to get in the wild.

IMG_4098.JPG

Regards,
DT

Attachments

• IMG_4092.jpg
    IMG_4092.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_4093.jpg
    IMG_4093.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 90
engineered, machined, BUILT, assembled right here in good ol America!

sans the glass as previously stated and some specialty screws...

This isn't a LOW or whatever speced scope. This is a company in Greely, CO with Americans working in the factory.

No other scope can match it. I not going to lie, Im proud of that.

Regards,
DT

engineered, machined, BUILT, assembled right here in good ol America!

sans the glass as previously stated and some specialty screws...

This isn't a LOW or whatever speced scope. This is a company in Greely, CO with Americans working in the factory.

No other scope can match it. I not going to lie, Im proud of that.

Regards,
DT

Amen..

One thing you will notice almost instantly while looking through this scope is that the "black ring" inside the scope is almost non-existent. I don't know how Burris did it, but it is possibly my favorite feature of the whole scope package. Its almost like the scope "disappears" when looking through it. hashtaglove

Loved the pics D_T. Great writeup for actual in field use, this certainly helps. With regard to your comment above, this sounds very ZCOesque, that was my experience with both ZCO's the black or outer ring of the sight picture almost disappears. The fact that Burris was able to do this in a sub $2k scope is brilliant. I am chomping at the bit to get one but have too much already and I'm waiting for illumination.

Maybe I missed the release date, but has there been a date for when the illuminated reticles will hit the market? I know it was mentioned previously "fall of 19" but was hoping there was a roll out date that had been announced.

I havent heard a release date for the illuminated models. I know the fall was the original intent, but the non-illuminated models kept getting pushed back as they made changes from the prototypes.

The non-illuminated scopes are headed to retailers now. The 30x has shipped and the 18x is right behind it. As soon as I hear something on the illuminated model I'll post it up.

I'm looking to get an 18x illuminated myself for a hunting rifle.

Exact same thought myself. Sounds like it won't be out in time for hunting season this fall.

Yes, I'm afraid that unless there are illuminated models going out with the 18x scopes here in September, that is probably true.

I'm on the fence about it. I would prefer illumination for hunting, but having only used it one time, ever, I'm not convinced I need it. It's more something I "think" I need :)

Oh I think I need it. Been my experience at dawn or dusk a lightly lit illuminated reticle makes a big difference hunting. My best glass is considered mid tier so light gathering has something to do with it.

Last edited: