• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR3!!!

My SWFA 5-20 is .05 and my XTR2s are .05 according to Burris and the reticle is easier to see in the SWFA. We need a crossover scope that’s usable on the lower end. Athlon is getting there with the Helos 2-12.
Ignoring the 2-10 XTR2, the Burris aiming cross thicknesses are:
SCR MIL XTR2 15x: 0.04
SCR MIL XTR3 18x, XTR2 20x & XTR2 25x: 0.03
SCR MIL XTR3 30x: 0.02
SCR2: 0.02

I'd like to see the 18x at 0.035 - 0.04 mil width.

I get they are probably trying to limit the number of sku's to carry. To me they should just kill the XTR2 line and then expand this new XTR3i line. Maybe time will tell, I wouldnt mind the SCR mil illumated in addition to my current XTR3.
The XTRII is on its way out. You'll probably see some great pricing on those in 2022.

The XTR3i will definitely see some expansion as it moves into the mainstream tactical scope role. I would also like to see an illuminated SCR in mils.
Ignoring the 2-10 XTR2, the Burris aiming cross thicknesses are:
SCR MIL XTR2 15x: 0.04
SCR MIL XTR3 18x, XTR2 20x & XTR2 25x: 0.03
SCR MIL XTR3 30x: 0.02
SCR2: 0.02

I'd like to see the 18x at 0.035 - 0.04 mil width.
I believe the illuminated SCR2 in the Pro is at .035. Decent thickness. If they use that same thickness in the XTR3i, which I imagine they will, then it should work for a crossover optic.

If they optimize it for the 18x it may be a hair thicker.

How is the SCR2 Mil reticle in use? Does the grid get in the way? I’m not usually fond of grids/tree

My usual disclaimer applies - please do NOT use these images to judge IQ of the scope, these are through the scope images taken with my DSLR which rarely is perfectly aligned with the optics inside the scope, these images are to give an idea of how the reticle looks at different magnifications. Keep in mind this is the non-illuminated SCR2 reticle and the illuminated version may differ slightly in thickness.
20191124_Burris_XTRIII_3.3-18x50_SCR2_001.jpg

20191124_Burris_XTRIII_3.3-18x50_SCR2_002.jpg

20191124_Burris_XTRIII_3.3-18x50_SCR2_003.jpg

20191124_Burris_XTRIII_3.3-18x50_SCR2_004.jpg

20191124_Burris_XTRIII_3.3-18x50_SCR2_005.jpg

Not interested. They dont compare. AT ALL. Ive seen all of the Athlon scopes and the 3 times I saw them at matches and 2 of them broke. They have horrible FOV and i hate their retc. Vortex (G2)/Leupold (mk5) both smoke them as well. They have nothing I want.

You mentioned "(Athlon being one of them) that would likely be a better choice" yet you have admittingly not had them side by side. ummm what? I have. Multiple times. Athlon is crap. Literally crap. They make one decent scope and even it is sub XTR3. Closer to XTR2 with higher acceptable error in tracking.

Yes im a scope snob. Yes im a xenophobe. Take your china love to another Athlon love fest thread please. This isnt a "lets compare $300 shit scopes" thread.

Regards
DT
Heard Burris started making scopes in China. I guess you'll be joining the rest of us in the China love threads now?

I guess now we find out if your word is bullshit, or if you're going to follow through with it, and dump Burris due to their newfound love for China too. Hilarious how life works.

Heard Burris started making scopes in China. I guess you'll be joining the rest of us in the China love threads now?

I guess now we find out if your word is bullshit, or if you're going to follow through with it, and dump Burris due to their newfound love for China too. Hilarious how life works.
He just said that stuff to make you mad...

I bet him it wouldn't work. Now I owe him five bucks. Thanks for that..

EDIT; I have to add though, the RT Series scopes that are produced for them out of China are 3 or 4 years old now. The RT Long Range Series over a year old. So its hardly newfound love. We have to be honest in assigning blame, the American scope buyer is the one creating so much demand for their products 🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: AleksanderSuave
He just said that stuff to make you mad...

I bet him it wouldn't work. Now I owe him five bucks. Thanks for that..

EDIT; I have to add though, the RT Series scopes that are produced for them out of China are 3 or 4 years old now. The RT Long Range Series over a year old. So its hardly newfound love. We have to be honest in assigning blame, the American scope buyer is the one creating so much demand for their products 🤣
I’ll send you the $5 once the thread title with the American flag next to Burris gets corrected to reflect the Filipino, Japanese, and Chinese flag as well.

No point in hiding the entire countries of production, if he’s that proud of it 🤷🏽‍♂️

Especially after him foaming at the mouth over the production country the last time this was brought up.

Might as well bring the laptop and phone to the range and shoot them too, or are we only concerned about production origin when it’s convenient to support an already weak argument?

I love my cheap China Athlons too, loved the ares enough to add a Cronus after too. Loving it even more after comparing it the Burris III xtr side by side.

How’s that illumination working out? Maybe they’ll figure out how to add that feature in the Philippines?

Blaming the buyer in any of this is just shifting the blame to avoid reality. Maybe look to the company that decided to ultimately make their products in China in the first place instead of shifting the blame on that one?

I guess Burris decided that being made in America was less important than a profit margin.

Last edited:
WTF does the cheap low end Burris stuff have to do with the USA made Burris stuff. They are two separate lines just like every other scope company produces. Burris has long been producing certain lines outside the US so what is your point.
The foreign lines still come from the same Burris company, and the person I'm responding to made it a point to go on a rant about foreign production, pretending that Burris somehow was above the practice (including making scopes in China, supporting CCP), then in the new XTR thread changed their messaging entirely to talk about how Burris scopes made in the Philippines will be the same great product, at a lower cost.

I prefer my hypocrites to be consistent with their POV, not changing their script whenever it benefits the product they're promoting.

Reactions: moosemeat
Personally I think your'e fishing for stuff that really isn't there. Again this tread is about one specific line of scopes, that at the time of his comments, were made in the US. Burris decided to move production to the Phillippines, not Dorgan.

Reactions: Birddog6424
Personally I think your'e fishing for stuff that really isn't there. Again this tread is about one specific line of scopes, that at the time of his comments, were made in the US. Burris decided to move production to the Phillippines, not Dorgan.
Yup. Thats my point exactly. At the time were made in the US, and they no longer are now.

Take your china love to another Athlon love fest thread please. This isnt a "lets compare $300 shit scopes" thread.

Regards
DT

Im just waiting to hear if his commitment to US made scopes will be consistent now, or if it doesnt matter now that his brand of choice has no longer made that a priority?

It's still not made in China, and the XTR Pro is made in the US.
There's more than one new Burris scope being discussed in the XTR Pro thread, the pro and the illuminated XTR model (which all signs and rep posts point to not being made in the US). Sorry not interested in the "but this one still is US made" defense. Doesnt change that the company has made a commitment to china, one way or another.

There's more than one new Burris scope being discussed in the XTR Pro thread, the pro and the illuminated XTR model (which all signs and rep posts point to not being made in the US). Sorry not interested in the "but this one still is US made" defense. Doesnt change that the company has made a commitment to china, one way or another.
Ok so does the "it's (XTR III illuminated) still not made in China" defense work? Since that's what you are claiming and it's incorrect?

What’s wrong with China? They built a solid wall.. pretty sure they can handle a scope with how far ahead of the USA they are in technology.

• Haha
Reactions: AleksanderSuave
Ok so does the "it's (XTR III illuminated) still not made in China" defense work? Since that's what you are claiming and it's incorrect?
No, what Im claiming is that 'Burris is not above signing deals with China.' So now I want to see if the guy who ranted about made in China scopes, is going to stick to his word.

If you're going to paraphrase me and argue about it, try to start with what I actually said.

Its pretty easy to do, the forum even does it for you, with a press of the button.

No, what Im claiming is that 'Burris is not above signing deals with China.' So now I want to see if the guy who ranted about made in China scopes, is going to stick to his word.

If you're going to paraphrase me and argue about it, try to start with what I actually said.

Its pretty easy to do, the forum even does it for you, with a press of the button.
I don't care what you said in another thread. Technically don't care what you've said in this one. We are talking about XTR III here...hence the name of the thread, which was made in US and now going to be made in Philippines. I just got my first Burris scope a few weeks ago, an XTR III I picked up used in the PX that was made in the US. I'm pretty sure Burris has had low end scopes made in China for awhile, just like most every other manufacturer. Anyways I'm done. Back to the OT.

I don't care what you said in another thread. Technically don't care what you've said in this one. We are talking about XTR III here...hence the name of the thread, which was made in US and now going to be made in Philippines. I just got my first Burris scope a few weeks ago, an XTR III I picked up used in the PX that was made in the US. I'm pretty sure Burris has had low end scopes made in China for awhile, just like most every other manufacturer. Anyways I'm done. Back to the OT.

We also have discussed the XTR II, and a whole host of other scopes, as a comparison. Lots of posts here. Maybe you should do your homework. Might be some required reading for you.

I havent said anything in another thread. I referenced the other thread because you were (and still are) obviously confused about whats being asked. You seem to have some significant issues with reading comprehension. That I cant fix, even with pointing you in the right direction, but if you dont care as much as you say you do. Dont respond. That should resolve your issues.

Now we can all go back to pretending that Burris only makes and sells scopes made in America (certainly not China, or anywhere else). Just wanted to make sure thats the lie we're running with since this conversation started originally, and used that as a "selling point" about why the burris products were superior.

Posted from my "made in the US" laptop too. totally.

Last edited:
wow dudes all wacked on caffine...cant blame ya so am i lol...

Burris has always had foreign made scopes. They have also ALWAYS made scopes right here in Greeley, CO also starting in the 70's. My support wont waver for a company that, as my first post in the Pro thread says, "An American company, using American workers, making American products" and that hasnt changed. Weird you think it has...

Not sure why youd expect me to dump Burris. Rather odd knee-jerk reaction.

Even before my "newfound love for china" I supported Burris, as I would and do support any American company (I own Leupold and NF American made scopes also). I bought my first ever scope from Burris. Made in Greeley. Still own it. Like the black diamond iirc. Havnt shot that scope in years.

I’ll send you the $5 once the thread title with the American flag next to Burris gets corrected to reflect the Filipino, Japanese, and Chinese flag as well.

No point in hiding the entire countries of production, if he’s that proud of it 🤷🏽‍♂️

Especially after him foaming at the mouth over the production country the last time this was brought up.

Might as well bring the laptop and phone to the range and shoot them too, or are we only concerned about production origin when it’s convenient to support an already weak argument?

I love my cheap China Athlons too, loved the ares enough to add a Cronus after too. Loving it even more after comparing it the Burris III xtr side by side.

How’s that illumination working out? Maybe they’ll figure out how to add that feature in the Philippines?

Blaming the buyer in any of this is just shifting the blame to avoid reality. Maybe look to the company that decided to ultimately make their products in China in the first place instead of shifting the blame on that one?

I guess Burris decided that being made in America was less important than a profit margin.

Couple things, but primarily your attack is poorly thought out and at best very juvenile.

I never once hid any scopes place of production. This scope and all the XTR3's that I own and shoot with are made right here in the USA.

I will also continue to "foam at the mouth" over an American made scope because I love this county. Sorry that you dont.

Now you bring up the other chena crap I use daily. IF there was an AMERICAN alternative, bet your ass I would use American. EVERY. DANG. TIME.

You say blaming the buyer is shifting blame...yet you blame the buyer. Come on man. Not once in any threads did I mention ALL their scopes are USA made. Not once. They arnt. Thats laughable. Im proud to be a shooter for a company that goes out of the way, and makes less $$$ for it, to have an American made option. And I will continue to do so.

The foreign lines still come from the same Burris company, and the person I'm responding to made it a point to go on a rant about foreign production, pretending that Burris somehow was above the practice (including making scopes in China, supporting CCP), then in the new XTR thread changed their messaging entirely to talk about how Burris scopes made in the Philippines will be the same great product, at a lower cost.

I prefer my hypocrites to be consistent with their POV, not changing their script whenever it benefits the product they're promoting.

My name is Dorgan. Find me at a ton of shooting matches. Not hiding behind a computer spewing hate. I hate foreign production. Always have. Always will. Im sorry you love it. Not gonna lie and I dont think I have once changed my story.

Im far from perfect so saying im a hypocrite prob is true along the line. Im truly sorry tho that I hurt your feelings. What else do you expect me to talk about in a XTR3 thread?

To finish, as Burris is a super small company, they cant make all their scopes here. Too small. The 3 was outsourced to make room for the new PRO. Its like a athlon lover to come spew some hate. They come on everyones threads "PM me for a great deal!" Never once have I gone on another scope thread and said how mine is better UNLESS someone asked how it compares. That why I responded as I did. Dont get all hurt. It gets old when people bring the hate on forums. Find me at a match and Ill buy you a beer and we can compare scopes and hug it out.

Did it sadden me by the decision for Burris to make the 3 out of country? Absolutely. I still have my USA made scopes so Ill live. Meanwhile, the USA made pro is my new fav scope. As it should be when a better option comes available. If thats being a hipocrite than I guess I am one...if thats ok with you if I root for USA made products?

(please print off and fill out attached report.

lol relax karen its a joke)

Regards
Dorgan

Attachments

• HF_Report.jpg
    HF_Report.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 93
wow dudes all wacked on caffine...cant blame ya so am i lol...

Love my "caffine". It only comes from Hawaii though, might not be "American" enough for your preferences.

Burris has always had foreign made scopes. They have also ALWAYS made scopes right here in Greeley, CO also starting in the 70's. My support wont waver for a company that, as my first post in the Pro thread says, "An American company, using American workers, making American products" and that hasnt changed. Weird you think it has...

Must be a lot of American workers immigrating to the Philippines, Japan, and China lately?

Not sure why youd expect me to dump Burris. Rather odd knee-jerk reaction.

Even before my "newfound love for china" I supported Burris, as I would and do support any American company (I own Leupold and NF American made scopes also). I bought my first ever scope from Burris. Made in Greeley. Still own it. Like the black diamond iirc. Havnt shot that scope in years.
Cool story.

Couple things, but primarily your attack is poorly thought out and at best very juvenile.

[/QUOTE]
Yes im a scope snob. Yes im a xenophobe. Take your china love to another Athlon love fest thread please. This isnt a "lets compare $300 shit scopes" thread.
Juvenile you say? Pot calling the kettle black on that one. Whats that H word again? Hypocrite? Starting to see a pattern now.

I never once hid any scopes place of production. This scope and all the XTR3's that I own and shoot with are made right here in the USA.

I will also continue to "foam at the mouth" over an American made scope because I love this county. Sorry that you dont.

I love GM Trucks too, I just dont choose to ignore that they make products in Korea, and pretend that they dont put profits ahead of American workers or American people. Sorry I dont have a halo view of any brand.

Now you bring up the other chena crap I use daily. IF there was an AMERICAN alternative, bet your ass I would use American. EVERY. DANG. TIME.
So you have only made in America clothing, shoes, socks, furniture too? Because there's plenty of alternatives out there. The difference is its not convenient to your argument to be honest about that.

You say blaming the buyer is shifting blame...yet you blame the buyer. Come on man. Not once in any threads did I mention ALL their scopes are USA made. Not once. They arnt. Thats laughable. Im proud to be a shooter for a company that goes out of the way, and makes less $$$ for it, to have an American made option. And I will continue to do so.

No, currently the only one blaming buyers seems to be you. I have no problem saying the consumer buys whats best for them for it. I dont BLAME them for it, being the key difference.

My name is Dorgan. Find me at a ton of shooting matches. Not hiding behind a computer spewing hate.

I hate foreign production. Always have. Always will.
Its like a athlon lover to come spew some hate. They come on everyones threads "PM me for a great deal!" Never once have I gone on another scope thread and said how mine is better UNLESS someone asked how it compares.
Did I try to sell your or anyone anything? I came in here as a newer shooter and asked for an objective comparison, and you got man-hurt about it.

It gets old when people bring the hate on forums. Find me at a match and Ill buy you a beer and we can compare scopes and hug it out.
I had someone bitch and moan in the shooting brake thread about burris scopes. As far as "bringing the hate" on forums, that seems to be normal wednesday behavior.

Similarly, you seem to be the one driving it in this discussion. Im still confused why it was so scary for you to answer a question when I asked about another product? When I called camera-land to discuss scopes last time, they didnt offer me an XTR 2 as a choice to compare to a Cronus, or even introduce that comparison when. You seemed to be the only one who was dead set on them being similar.

I would have gladly taken you up on a round of beers previously. I have a hard time with the whole pretending thing though, especially when people cant be consistent about their own beliefs. Cant drink with people like that, or trust them to be honest about anything else.

Gotta agree.

Making a bit of a mountain out of a mole hill..

If someone is ever in a situation where they create a wall of text with a line by line rebuttal using the multiple quote option to seperate out 10 different quotes, they're in way too deep. My advice to that person would be, type it all out, read it back to yourself, then hit the delete button. Walk away.

It's just scopes fellas..

Last edited:
XTRIII >>>>>>>>>Cronus

Gotta agree.
Me too.
Making a bit of a mountain out of a mole hill..

Yep, not much to see.
If someone is ever in a situation where they create a wall of text with a line by line rebuttal using the multiple quote option to seperate out 10 different quotes, they're in way too deep. My advice to that person would be, type it all out, read it back to yourself, then hit the delete button. Walk away.
Wait what? I don't know at least I only divided into 4.
It's just scopes fellas..
The fukc you say. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

According to Aleksander if it's not made 100% in the US, then it has to be made in China and he's not even attempting to hide the ignorance. Being made where labor is cheaper is not to make higher proft margins, but to bring competitive pricing to other models with equal or better features.

If you want an illuminated XTR 3 to be made in America, people like you will come out of the woodworks and point at their Athlon and say it's the same thing but cheaper. You can't rag on American vs. Non-American made AND be a huge shill for Athlon in the same breath.

So I'm newer to this forum, and newer to "getting into" the deeper details of optics as well. However, if I may make an observation about the optics/gun community generally speaking. I agree, I dislike/loath the Communist party and government of China, they are a threat and our own Government and companies (not our civilians) have been taken to task by them in the trade war and "free" trade. With all that aside, people get way to in the weeds with this, the reality is, if we all stopped buying optics that are OEM'd in china, phones that are OEM'd in china, TV's and appliances that are OEM'd in china, it is still not going to greatly effect them or their ability at this point(maybe I'm wrong here but there is much more going on in the world economies then that) I would rather focus on guys practicing their 2A rights and getting what they can afford (yes, people do have budgets and don't need to go into debt for the sake of an optic) to protect themselves, their families and their communities or pursue the fun/competition of shooting. We are losing sight of the most important thing, training, excercising our rights and standing together in that. When people are accusing those who buy a scope/optic OEM'd in china of supporting or contributing or even being a proponent of the CCP, we are to deep in the weeds and we are being divisive to the most important thing, the 2nd amendment. I for one would love to see everything made in the US, but that is going to require something that at the moment just is not a reality and if it was to happen in the future then the American companies would have to drastically reduce their prices so the low to middle income buyer could afford it(if they want them to be outfitted). I get the nuances of all this and in my heart I believe in trying the best that we can to buy American, but I understand this, that American companies/European companies are trying to chase the almighty dollar as well and are equally guilty of overcharging for what they are producing (I'm being general not conclusive). They need to make an effort to help the consumer out and the US worker(keeping things from going overseas for lower prices) if they are going to play off our patriotism to try and get our business. I'm digressing but you get my point. The main point of all of this is, I think we need to warn people about proven Chinese junk and or lower tier quality issues. However, the virtue signaling based on where an optic is made is across the line IMO, and a needless/not helpful part of this community that I think does much more harm then good. Carry on fellas and this is not pointed at any poster specifically, just my opinion and my perception of what goes on from time to time. Ultimately for me, what we have is what we have, if it goes against your principles to buy Chinese OMEd products(not just scopes) avoid them, but don't begrudge or belittle those who just need as good as they can get for a budget so they have something that works so they can practice their 2nd amendment rights.

Last edited:
So, it looks like the recipe for the kind of threadjack we're seeing here is a spoonful of this -

cute.jpg

combined with a bucketful of this -

WRONG.jpg

Yeah, that seems about right.

Still can't figure out why anybody would want to go to the trouble of cooking up something like this, as you just know it's going to taste like ass.

• Haha
There’s only one way to settle this. Thunder dome. Mad max style. You each get one scope of choice, either Chinese made or American made. You will then proceed to beat each other until the Victor is the only one left standing. Amuse us.
Two men enter..

One man leaves..

• Haha
Reactions: JDB55
Hi,

I work in a manufacturing facility in America... I guess I'm as pro-American made as anybody, but holy shit, some of you guys seem to have a pretty skewed view of what the average American worker is like these days. Pretty sure I was MORE excited to hear it was going to be made in the Philippines, not less, haha!

Sincerely,
J-Ham

Hi,

I work in a manufacturing facility in America... I guess I'm as pro-American made as anybody, but holy shit, some of you guys seem to have a pretty skewed view of what the average American worker is like these days. Pretty sure I was MORE excited to hear it was going to be made in the Philippines, not less, haha!

Sincerely,
J-Ham

ha. not going to lie the thought crossed my mind.

and I am ok with the thunderdome! haha. one scope to rule them all...can we get a LOR camoe??

halt.jpg

maybe just a dance off. lol

DT

Reactions: J-Ham
Christ almighty, I just want one. III or Pro or even the IIIi. Unfortunately even the III seems to be a unicorn right now.

Just my luck.

Christ almighty, I just want one. III or Pro or even the IIIi. Unfortunately even the III seems to be a unicorn right now.

Just my luck.
All the SCR2 Pro's sold out in like a millisecond. I think there were 100 or so of them in that first run.

Not sure who got them...

Reactions: ECK