• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR3!!!

We are keeping all the same components and sourcing the same glass. We added illumination, and amazingly enough, are dropping the price.

Edit; I should add, thats all I know at this point. There may be more to it that I havent heard yet.
Thanks. That means I don't need to worry about grabbing a new one right away.

We are keeping all the same components and sourcing the same glass. We added illumination, and amazingly enough, are dropping the price.

Edit; I should add, thats all I know at this point. There may be more to it that I havent heard yet.
Can you divulge the price of the XTR3i?

Ilya is a much better judge than me, and I'm excited to hear his thoughts after he reviews a production model..
Me too...
but I can also definitely see the difference in my production model XTR PRO versus my XTR3.
I have to say, the XTR III really impressed me glass wise, it easily beat anything on the market at that price point back in 2018, I thought the glass was better in the 3.3-18 than the Mark 5 from Leuppy and while the NF NX8 had better center resolution and control of CA, the optical distortion at the edges in the 2.5-20, finicky parallax and shallow DOF I just couldn't stomach.

So for me, glass was never an issue with the XTR III, it was always the lack of illumination, so I welcome the XTR3i for sure. Burris changing up their tooling to only offer illumination was a moved to save on cost (I assume) and the fact they've had the tooling since the 2018 release of the XTR3 means they can also offer the illuminated version at a lower price point than the current non-illuminated models, well that was unexpected - great move on Burris' part.

Reactions: Birddog6424
Can you divulge the price of the XTR3i?
I've heard some numbers, but they were speculative. If they come in around that price when they roll out, they will be a phenomenally good value.
Me too...

I have to say, the XTR III really impressed me glass wise, it easily beat anything on the market at that price point back in 2018, I thought the glass was better in the 3.3-18 than the Mark 5 from Leuppy and while the NF NX8 had better center resolution and control of CA, the optical distortion at the edges in the 2.5-20, finicky parallax and shallow DOF I just couldn't stomach.

So for me, glass was never an issue with the XTR III, it was always the lack of illumination, so I welcome the XTR3i for sure. Burris changing up their tooling to only offer illumination was a moved to save on cost (I assume) and the fact they've had the tooling since the 2018 release of the XTR3 means they can also offer the illuminated version at a lower price point than the current non-illuminated models, well that was unexpected - great move on Burris' part.
Your review three years ago has stood the test of time. It all proved to be accurate information over the life cycle of the Comp XTRIII.

I have a 30x on a 6GT, a 30x on a 22BR, and an 18x on a CZ457 rimfire. These are all my competitive rifles that see a lot of daylight. I've slapped more optics alongside those three scopes than you can beat with a stick. Against sub 2k peer optics, the glass in the XTRIII never failed to look as good or better than the scopes in its price point.

Hopefully at some point you'll get your hands on one of the new ones and let us know what you think.

Hopefully at some point you'll get your hands on one of the new ones and let us know what you think.
I'm planning on it. 2022 is getting off to a good start with the XTR Pro and the Vortex G3 announcement. I'd love to get more into rimfire (much cheaper to shoot haha) so maybe more opportunity for these scopes for sure!

I asked before without a response, but has anyone noticed how the XTR3 handles stray light? When shooting into the sun, the image in mine washes out noticeably.

I asked before without a response, but has anyone noticed how the XTR3 handles stray light? When shooting into the sun, the image in mine washes out noticeably.
I saw where you asked that question earlier. But I've never experienced that before.. Both myself and my shooting partner running the same scope were shooting directly into the setting sun last year at the Ruger-Koenig match in Colorado. Last stage, he shot directly after me, super tough sighting conditions. But I didnt see any abnormalities in the optic, and was able to make out the targets.

It seemed as it should be when introducing a light source of the magnitude of the sun.. 😉
Will the XTR Pro be offered in a tanodized color like the Vortex Razor?
Its not been mentioned.

Based on the love/hate bitching of the brown Vortex scope over on the GIII Razor thread, I'm honestly surprised more people aren't complaining about the red anodized highlights 🤣

Nearly every scope will experience that to varying degrees under the right conditions. The effect is called veiling flare. I test for it, so I'll check when I get my hands on the new scopes.

As far as the red anodizing goes, I fully intent to paint over it. I hate red color with a passion. It is probably some weird PTSD from staring at the Soviet flag too much in my youth.

ILya

Nearly every scope will experience that to varying degrees under the right conditions. The effect is called veiling flare. I test for it, so I'll check when I get my hands on the new scopes.

ILya
In the same conditions (went back and forth between) Cronus BTRs in 4.5-29 and 1-6 had no issues. I was thinking perhaps the XTR3's extended FOV made it more sensitive than the others. Or it was a difference in lens coatings.

I'll have to try and reproduce the issue sometime.

I noticed that in my buddies scope. Sun was in our face and it was like looking through a white thin sheet of paper. I then looked through a zco and saw zero interference. Thats when I said fuck, gotta spend more.

Will it have more than 26Mrad of elevation? Its the only thing keeping it from my next rimfire scope. Might have to go with the 3-18 otherwise.

I noticed that in my buddies scope. Sun was in our face and it was like looking through a white thin sheet of paper. I then looked through a zco and saw zero interference. Thats when I said fuck, gotta spend more.
Yeah, that's pretty much what happened with mine.

Reactions: Stoweit
Hopfully I can make that work with a 30moa base and 20 moa mount.

How is the optic degredation on the extremes of the turrets?
My 18x on my rimfire is the only one I have gotten into the edge. It has 36 mils total, I can dial 31.2 mils using 40 moa inserts in the Burris Signature Series rings.

I dont see any noticeable loss of glass quality at my 50 yard zero or dialing parallax in for 25 yard TYLs.

I haven't landed on a rifle yet with my Pro and really tinkered it to squeeze elevation out of it.

How do you like those signature rings have the adjustable can inserts I was looking at a pair of cuz I have a Remington 700 that for some reason when I'm out of scope with different bases I have to adjust my windage all the way to the right just to Center so I'm thinking that's really the only solution to fix that

My 18x on my rimfire is the only one I have gotten into the edge. It has 36 mils total, I can dial 31.2 mils using 40 moa inserts in the Burris Signature Series rings.

I dont see any noticeable loss of glass quality at my 50 yard zero or dialing parallax in for 25 yard TYLs.

I haven't landed on a rifle yet with my Pro and really tinkered it to squeeze elevation out of it.
How do you like those signature rings with the adjustable cant inserts I was looking at a pair of cuz I have a Remington 700 that I have to adjust my windage all the way to the right just to Center so I'm thinking that's really the only solution to fix that

How do you like those signature rings with the adjustable cant inserts I was looking at a pair of cuz I have a Remington 700 that I have to adjust my windage all the way to the right just to Center so I'm thinking that's really the only solution to fix that

The rings are horrible to setup - waste a lot of ammo. They are solid once set, but I wouldn't buy another pair. Mine are relegated to a BB gun.

The feedback on them (except for Chickentoast 🤣) is overwhelmingly positive. They rate very highly pretty much every where they come up. I love the three sets I use for competitive rifles, and I'm pretty sure Ilya up there likes his, last I heard.
So........
This is actually the launch of the XTR Pro and not the illuminated XTR3, thus the 3.3-18 is still not yet available.
I guess the waiting continues.
The XTR3i rolls out January 27th.

Hang in there cowboy 😉

Reactions: Hkmiller
The rings are super great. I've used them almost exclusively on my rifles. Zero problems and great benefits if you want to maximize scope travel

The feedback on them (except for Chickentoast 🤣) is overwhelmingly positive. They rate very highly pretty much every where they come up. I love the three sets I use for competitive rifles, and I'm pretty sure Ilya up there likes his, last I heard.

The XTR3i rolls out January 27th.

Hang in there cowboy 😉

Sorry, best scope value in the market, but those rings are crap. As you tighten the rings to the scope, the plastic inserts move a bit, and your zero can shift - feet - at 100 yds. Loosen, shift inserts, re-tighten, shoot again, and hope you're on paper. Decide to use half your windage to get to zero, or do the process again, and again. ARC exclusively for me now, except for the BB gun :LOL:

Spending more doesn't necessarily get you better, don't look at a Tangent Theta with direct sun you might be sorely disappointed :oops: This is where sunshades really help. I also have the XTR III and don't remember there being an issue with direct sun, if I recall it did pretty well with direct sun, but I might need to do some more testing.
20210410_Tangent_Theta_5-25x56_Gen3XR_002.jpg

Sorry, best scope value in the market, but those rings are crap. As you tighten the rings to the scope, the plastic inserts move a bit, and your zero can shift - feet - at 100 yds. Loosen, shift inserts, re-tighten, shoot again, and hope you're on paper. Decide to use half your windage to get to zero, or do the process again, and again. ARC exclusively for me now, except for the BB gun :LOL:
I haven't experienced issues quite that drastic but yes they can cause some levels of frustration upon installion but being able to fine tune the cant in the rings is pretty handy and they will work perfectly for the guy aboves intended use.

I stopped using the rings because I found they wouldn't RTZ repeatable when switching scopes between rifles, which is not a normal thing for people to do, so hard to knock them for it.

driving to NRL hunter in AZ. 10 hrs in. gonna take a break and start a pro thread

if ur down there i will be RO’in but will have a pro at my stage.

DT

I haven't experienced issues quite that drastic but yes they can cause some levels of frustration upon installion but being able to fine tune the cant in the rings is pretty handy and they will work perfectly for the guy aboves intended use.

I stopped using the rings because I found they wouldn't RTZ repeatable when switching scopes between rifles, which is not a normal thing for people to do, so hard to knock them for it.

I may have gotten a shitty pair - most people have said what you did, inches of shift, not feet. The other part is the way they tighten to the base - again, fine once on there, but the scope can shift left and right during tightening, and it does not self-correct. Tighten them down, and that's where you'll be.

Reactions: Stoweit
How do you like those signature rings have the adjustable can inserts I was looking at a pair of cuz I have a Remington 700 that for some reason when I'm out of scope with different bases I have to adjust my windage all the way to the right just to Center so I'm thinking that's really the only solution to fix that
I've been running them on a .338 lapua for almost 2 years no issues, another set on a rem 700 to deal with the same issue ^^

I have had my XTR3 for about 9 months..love the scope except one thing..the damn dial is stuff..so much so I avoid it 90 percent of the time in matches and just hold over. I thought it would get better with use but that is not the case at all...Anyone else have that problem? With the aggressive grip, it can "bite" you pretty good..especially in the cold. Other than that, it's a great scope..and has made me real comfortable with hold overs, which has made me a better shooter honestly..I do however wish it wasnt so hard to dial. Anyone else have this issue?

^I've got 2 - both hard to dial magnification - have to stabilize rifle so it doesn't twist or jump. Turrets are stiff, but no stabilization needed. Parallax is fine. Haven't used below 40 or so degrees.

^I've got 2 - both hard to dial magnification - have to stabilize rifle so it doesn't twist or jump. Turrets are stiff, but no stabilization needed. Parallax is fine. Haven't used below 40 or so degrees.
I do not change my mag much so i dont remember if it's stiff or not.. all other dials turn fine as well. It's just Elevation for me. I do have to shoot below 40 but this went on in the summer as well..I bought the race dial (hard to turn with both dials) and I have to put enough pressure on the dial, that when I do turn it, I will usually wipe off my marks because I have to have a pretty good grip on it.

I do not change my mag much so i dont remember if it's stiff or not.. all other dials turn fine as well. It's just Elevation for me. I do have to shoot below 40 but this went on in the summer as well..I bought the race dial (hard to turn with both dials) and I have to put enough pressure on the dial, that when I do turn it, I will usually wipe off my marks because I have to have a pretty good grip on it.

Mine did soften a bit, but I don't compete (haven't turned them much) - just the first few turns checking the scopes when they first arrived got them going. If it bothers you that much, maybe get it back to Burris (assuming they can loosen them)?

Mine did soften a bit, but I don't compete (haven't turned them much) - just the first few turns checking the scopes when they first arrived got them going. If it bothers you that much, maybe get it back to Burris (assuming they can loosen them)?
That was my next step..just wanted to see if there was another fix before I did that.

My very first one was really stiff, but it loosened up and feels very good now.

My 18x on my rimfire is still fairly stiff. Not annoyingly so, or to the point I dont want to dial, but its a stiff dial.