• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR3!!!

Has anyone sent their III in for service to have the elevation turret loosened up a bit? What was the result? Satisfied?

Bois whining about tight turrets...
EvNM.gif

Rimfire matches are a great way to break in the turrets.
Comparing the XTR III to my other scope (ATACR) is night and day. So yeah.. I’m bitching.

Ps- since it’s 2022, I apologize to those who like stiff turrets. I did not mean to offend you by not liking them.

• Haha
Reactions: Secant
Comparing the XTR III to my other scope (ATACR) is night and day. So yeah.. I’m bitching.

Ps- since it’s 2022, I apologize to those who like stiff turrets. I did not mean to offend you by not liking them.

Haha, I agree. I can take the turrets, but the mag ring needs a pipe wrench.

Reactions: 021411
I’ll shoot a few matches with it and will re-evaluate if it doesn’t lighten up. But has anyone sent it in for that?

I don't mind my turrets after a couple of matches of cranking on them. I agree my mag ring is tight. I have a throw lever on order.

Throw lever should do the trick enough. I’ve never worried about it past that

My throw lever arrived. It fits very tight on the ring and works so much better than the gnurled ring. The scope is now useable.

throw lever is a must. regardless of scope.

havnt experienced the tight ele knob but I did hear of a guy who removed a rubber gasket or somthing under the turret? obviously might effect water tightness but most of us dont shoot in moist conditions so maybe worth a try? havnt dont it myself just heard from a guy who owns a dremel therefore certified lol

GL
DT

I haven't read through this entire thread yet. Sorry if this has been answered already.

Is there a perceptible amount of backlash in the parallax adjustment knob (in the 3.3-18 and the 5.5-30)?
I received one not long ago and no. None on my 3.3-18. Any minute turn is actually doing something. There’s no slop.

Reactions: bohica17
I haven't read through this entire thread yet. Sorry if this has been answered already.

Is there a perceptible amount of backlash in the parallax adjustment knob (in the 3.3-18 and the 5.5-30)?
Absolutely none in any of mine either.

So I got my Burris XTR III 5.5-30 back from Burris, I sent it in because the magnification ring resistance is very tight, more so than any other scope I have and felt they could probably adjust it some. Unfortunately, what I got back was this note
"The feel of the power ring and PA knob are normal, had confirmation from a quality tech."
So Burris did nothing to help free up the magnification resistance but simply had a "quality tech" confirm the resistance is "normal".

Contrast that to the Vortex Gen III I just sent back due to a parallax knob being very tight, I'm sure it was within spec as well but Vortex was able to clean that up and now the parallax runs very smooth (much more to my liking). I must admit, I am a bit frustrated that Burris did nothing except hand it to a quality tech to tell me it is "normal".

And yes, I know some of you will likely respond with "put a throw lever on there" and I've had a throw lever and it helps but still tighter than it should be.

Can anyone with the new XTR Pro tell me if the resistance on the Pro is similar to the XTR III or if it is less?

The PRO has less resistance than the xtr3's that I have. The mag ring on my 3.3-18 is way stiffer than my 5.5-30. I need a throw lever for the 3.3-18. I've had my 5.5-30 for a while and it seems to get better with use.

I would actually say the resistance on ALL knobs/rings on the PRO is about perfect. I did have a problem with my illumination knob when I unboxed it, but that was quickly resolved.

That’s highly disappointing. I guess I won’t send mine in for the turrets. If it has been 3 years since the release and it’s still tight that means it’s “normal”.

I received one not long ago and no. None on my 3.3-18. Any minute turn is actually doing something. There’s no slop.

Absolutely none in any of mine either.
Thanks to you both (for answering my parallax slop question).

Maybe the the throw levers fit the turrets too? Sorry, just being an a55. Now I need to decide if it's worth it to deal with the turrets and mag being stiff.

To all the people bitchin' about the "aggressive" texturing on the turrets and mag ring...

You're right.

Great for gloves, but bare hands, they will chew up skin and flesh in short order.

That said, the turrets on the new one I played with are not tight at all. Though the mag ring is fairly tight, it's not unacceptable with a throw lever on it and may loosen up in time.

Glass seems excellent for the $ during the short time I peeked through it.

To all the people bitchin' about the "aggressive" texturing on the turrets and mag ring...

You're right.

Great for gloves, but bare hands, they will chew up skin and flesh in short order.

That said, the turrets on the new one I played with are not tight at all. Though the mag ring is fairly tight, it's not unacceptable with a throw lever on it and may loosen up in time.

Glass seems excellent for the $ during the short time I peeked through it.
Someone previously mentioned "dragon scales" and I agree, man these things dig in, glad they redesigned for the XTR Pro.

Someone previously mentioned "dragon scales" and I agree, man these things dig in, glad they redesigned for the XTR Pro.
Yeah, honestly I thought to myself that the people whining about the aggressive texturing were soft keyboard warriors who spent more time molesting their rifles in their basement than actually shooting them.

The first time I gripped it I said, "Aah!!!" in slight pain. After a few spins I started using my other hand. I believe a tight neoprene sleeve would make a great cheap product to address the issue. I was thinking 2 sided tape+rubber or foam on the knurling area.

G-hol, thank you again for your awesome write-ups/reviews. They're helpful and the work is appreciated!

Someone posted they used some bike inner tube over the knobs. Might be worth a shot

All the complaints bring me to this.. I wish companies would look beyond “influencers” and sponsored shooters to test and give honest feedback before stuff goes into production. “Influencers” have other free shit to “review” and could give two shits about stuff end user look for. Sponsored shooters are just worried about winning. They could care less if the turret is stiff or sharp. Let the keyboard warriors and anal retentive folks give some feedback. They are the ones that will 100% scrutinize a product. If the mentioned were applied, I’m sure Vortex wouldn’t be messing with the Gen 3 (turret and parallax) or re-tooling for new production.
/rant

Sorry, I don't own the scope (yet), or have access to one to see it for myself before purchasing.

Is it possible to remove the zero stop? Or have the stop position be set to what would be a hold under position?

Edit: say I wanted the stop position to be 2 mils of hold under. Is this possible? Or is the hard stop always at 0?

Last edited:
Reactions: D_TROS
Sorry, I don't own the scope (yet), or have access to one to see it for myself before purchasing.

Is it possible to remove the zero stop? Or have the stop position be set to what would be a hold under position?

Edit: say I wanted the stop position to be 2 mils of hold under. Is this possible? Or is the hard stop always at 0?
Yes, you can set the zero stop to be below 0 or whatever number you want. For both the PRO and XTR3.

How are you guys using the race dial? I've been to only a few matches, but safety etiquette seems to be grab you rifle from the designated rifle area when it's your turn and return it to that area when you've completed your run. When do you guys transfer you data to the turret before each stage? With the PRO I can just remove the turret and take it with me, but not so easy on the xtr3.

Yes you can set the ZS anywhere you like the reply from Chickentoast in the Pro thread explained how to do it.

Thanks for confirming. I am misunderstanding Chickentoast's response. I should be able to get it figured out, now that you guys confirmed it's possible....assuming I end up getting one or the other. Thanks all for putting up with my ignorance.

Some pics for you...

1. Start zeroed, unable to dial down.
2. Loosen cap and pull up - caps have vacuum so they try to suck back down - re-tighten.
3. Dial the amount under you would like to have. It will click now because cap is tight.
4. Loosen cap again and push it down. Re-tighten.
5. Click back to Zero!

B3378BEA-71AA-45DD-9F10-7F0E86BCFC4B.jpeg2E35B891-FA21-424F-AD83-310BDB9C0BCD.jpeg2DCBFB62-5ED4-4251-B4AC-9682E2963830.jpeg3ADFB740-CC63-4543-9EE1-ABCB96CD7765.jpegE960FC12-6D57-4FA9-B4EF-91B1DBA36A45.jpeg

Thanks @Chickentoast. The last pic is the light bulb moment (for my dumb ass)....at least I think so. The knob bottoms out on the flange in between the knob and the body....and where it bottoms is the hard stop. Right?

Thanks to everyone else for the help too.

Got a 5.5x30x56 SCR on the way for my kid. What size tube did you use?
Go to a bike shop. They will have a ton of old ones that have popped etc that they are just throwing away and will give you more than you need. Ask for one old mountain bike and one road bike one and that should cover you for pretty much anything

Reactions: ZCOklahoma
I wonder if we can cut 1” pieces of this and sell them for $25 - “better than a throw lever, the new throw rubber!”
Ya, they are called Ranger Bands. Basically the same damn thing that gets sold for wayyyy more than it should

I recently purchased 2 of the XRT3 3-18 from Camera Land. On one the turrets, parallax, and mag ring are all perfect. The other one everything was noticeable tighter, almost to the point of uncomfortable. Now after several turns of each turret and mag ring it is starting to get better, not as good as the other scope but nothing to complain about. Both scopes the reticles are very crisp, eye box is nice, and thus far I am very pleased with the optical quality.