• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bushnell 10x42 Legend Ultra HD Monocular review

Ring

Rifle Instructor
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
Medina, Ohio
sites.google.com
Bushnell 10x42 Legend Ultra HD Monocular

this was a rainy day at 850y to the treeline

IMG_20140608_150811.jpg

been using it all summer now as a spotting scope, easy to see bullet trace and make calls for other shooters...

wish it was 15x like the vortex, but the vortex is 600$ and the bushy is 180$
Vortex 15x50 Recon R/T Tactical Monocular

with the Rainguard HD coating, it easy to clean all the dust off the lens, just run it in the sink and the lens comes out spotless.. no way to scratch them this way :)

here is a pic of Frank with his..

IMG_5115_1080_zpseb57d752.jpg

Bushnell 10x42 Legend Ultra HD Monocular

this was a rainy day at 850y to the treeline

IMG_20140608_150811.jpg

been using it all summer now as a spotting scope, easy to see bullet trace and make calls for other shooters...

wish it was 15x like the vortex, but the vortex is 600$ and the bushy is 180$
Vortex 15x50 Recon R/T Tactical Monocular

with the Rainguard HD coating, it easy to clean all the dust off the lens, just run it in the sink and the lens comes out spotless.. no way to scratch them this way :)

here is a pic of Frank with his..

IMG_5115_1080_zpseb57d752.jpg

would you recommend this optic still, or would you get something else? I’m in the market for a spotting scope to use at Prs style matches or RTC field matches.

Reactions: Wabtklr
I have the 10X42 Legend from above and my advice is to go with the Vortex Recon monocular with the ranging reticle, especially if you want to use it for spotting. They do cost more but it's worth it for the better glass and better construction. My Bushnell monocular was ok and but it could be finicky to get focused and eventually the ocular cover fell off and the reticle canted. It sits in my gear box now and haven't used it in ages.

would you recommend this optic still, or would you get something else? I’m in the market for a spotting scope to use at Prs style matches or RTC field matches.

If you're using it for PRS style matches, I'd save up for a good pair of binos. I'd much rather have a good pair of binos and no reticle than a spotter or monocular with a reticle.

I have the 10X42 Legend from above and my advice is to go with the Vortex Recon monocular with the ranging reticle, especially if you want to use it for spotting. They do cost more but it's worth it for the better glass and better construction. My Bushnell monocular was ok and but it could be finicky to get focused and eventually the ocular cover fell off and the reticle canted. It sits in my gear box now and haven't used it in ages.
Would you look for the 15x vortex mono?

I have had one of these for a while. I use it for spotting steel all the time. I have a larger spotting scope I never use because this little one is so handy. We took it to use as our main device looking a glaciers and got photos like below with it. The glass is not as good as a high end scope, but it's also very good for this price point.
IMG_20190516_085511620_HDR.jpg

Circling back around to this, sorry for the delayed response. If I was in the market for a monocular with a reticle then I would definitely look at the Vortex 15X although Hollywood did bring up a good point about binos. I have a pair of 10X Nikon Monarch binos that I use during matches because sometimes we're short on spotters and love it for spotting hits and checking out the conditions near a target. I wouldn't mind a reticle because it would be easier to give corrections to shooter other than "you were half a plate low".

The Bushnell monocular with the reticle was cool given its size and capabilities but at the end of the day the durability just wasn't there for me. Say what you want about Vortex, you won't have to get a third party involved to kick them in the ass to get a warranty issue resolved if you ever have a problem either.

...you won't have to get a third party involved to kick them in the ass to get a warranty issue resolved if you ever have a problem either.

As someone that's worked with a lot of people at Bushnell (everything from CS, to website management, to product managers and engineers), and talked to a lot of Bushnell users, those situations are *very* rare.