• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell CS Slipping?

blksno

I don't have one
Minuteman
  • Mar 15, 2009
    SD
    It's been a while but I finally had a scope go down for what seemed like a pretty simple fix.
    My first LPVO optics was one of my favorites. My 1-8.5x Bushnell SMRS on a frankenkengun .223 AR w/ 18" suppressed DPMS MiniSASS barrel had a lot of what I wanted. A true zero power and 8.5x on the top to open up distance. Illuminated and the 34mm turrets and solid turrets. For a step into the LPOV game, what's not to love.

Went out to shoot some time ago and noticed the reticle was 2-3° tilted. Chalked it up to my eyes playing tricks on me since it had been a while since I shot at paper from a bench range.
    After a few more rounds, it had noticeably slipped to about 5-7° clockwise of level.
    No concern, put it in truck and finished out the day with some other rifles.

Got around to boxing it up, contacting Bushnell's Customer Service squad and sent it off for a repair. As advised, I included a copy of my Drivers License and a check for $10 to handle return shipping/handling. Then Covid19 hit and I got a little concerned that the repair shop would be shut down or at least delayed...so I reached out again...just to check on the status of the situation. Never got a reply, but a couple days later...my package showed up.

My initial surprise and excitement turned to mild disappointment and then further to somewhat angry.
    When I opened the package, I was excited to see a bran new box! Yeah! The optic was just replaced with a new one!!!! :love::love:

Inspected the box and realized it was an SMRS II PRO (sounds like an upgrade) until I see it's a 1-6x :confused: 30mm tube :censored:, 2nd Focal Plane :sick:. WTF!?!?
    No communication from Bushnell, no opportunity to ask my opinion or preference.
    Just replaced it with, not only a lesser unit...but one that retailed at HALF the price of the original I had sent for repairs.

Reached out again, to express being displeased, and was told the SMRS 1-8.5x is no longer offered, and could not be repaired. (couldn't be repaired???? BULL SHIT)

Needless to say...my first need to use the BUSHNELL IRONCLAD WARRANTY left me less than impressed.

Bushnell1.jpeg

Bushnell.jpeg

Bushnell2.jpeg

Almost embarrassed to have HAD as many as I did.
    Bushnell3.jpeg

They're owned by Vista Group now, aren't they?

Looks like they replaced a $1700 FFP optic with a $1200 SFP optic. The 1-8.5 is still on the website, so I'd ask them if you can send the new one back and wait until they're back in stock on the 1-8?

All the companies I have dealt with have matched the power range and reticle as best they could through all their lines, and stepped it up a line if need be. I wonder what they'll send back for this elite 3200 4-12 I have sitting here with broken turrets.

They don't repair optics anymore...they should have called you...def a bummer on your end and I would make a personal call to upgrade you to a LRTS or something...

By the way...you no longer need to send in $10 either...that is what I have been told...

Told me flat out the 1-8.5 is out of stock, and discontinued...and mine wasnt repairable. (which I find hard to believe)

I'm looking to sell or trade the 1-6x they sent me...as I already found a few used options to replace it with.
    Looking hard at the other 8x FFP options for the future too.

Trijicon 1-8
    USO 1-8
    Vortex 1-10
    IOR 1-10

Pretty poor form replacing it with a scope of considerably lesser value, especially without phoning you too explain the situation first.

Reactions: plong and Basher
    I would give them a direct call...worth to try...or if the dealer you got it from could also call them...

For what its worth...I had good experience with their CS...had an out of box defective unit and was replaced within 3 business days...same model and all...

They are a good company. I would not judge by one incident and a scope that isnt in production anymore. Ty to talk to someone else for sure.

I heard through the gossip line lots of companies are droping the 1-8 ish power line of scopes as a large contractor went under and so the cost of others had to go uppp as a result. ie all made in same factory.

I hope you arnt surprised they cant fix a discontinued scope... I don't think they even fix an active scope. Just send back to cheena for replacement. I mean we are talking Bushnel not S&B lol.

GL and hate these stories. Still surprises me when they come to light. I would not overreact and sell your other stuff. Looks like you got the computer automated response. Lame for sure tho.

GL
    DT

I’d be on them like a fly on shit. Ask them to upgrade you to a XRSII or something else that’s higher value so you at least won’t take a huge fucking loss.

I like this thinking, then you can sell it on and buy a replacement.

The huge drop in value is really not cool, I understand they cannot fix or replace your current model but sending you a lesser value/quality item is totally unacceptable.

Doesn't surprise me one bit. I'm sure it's spelled out in their warranty that they will repair or replace at their discretion. I had a older pair of Elite binoculars that I didn't want to send if because I knew they would be replaced with a lesser pair.

I am sorry , stuff happens I would not let on bad experience sway my opinion too much I have bought many things that people argued were not good that turned out pretty nice and at the same time bought things others said were great only to be totally horrific experiences if you like the scope maybe you try them again and next time they blow you away again with great customer service if that is needed I don't know I always try and keep expectation low so not to be overly disappointed , but at the same time expect problems to be able to be worked out somehow even if I can't see the fast and easy answers . Either way good luck and I hope in the end everything turns out the way you need it to .

I had 2 warranty experiences w bushy. The second time is the same issue and I had to call and ask nicely. Eventually, after 30 min of going back to manager, they finally agree to replace it with a refurbished same model scope. If they offer that option and send me the refurbished one from beginning, I would be happy. But they send me a less price with less feature scope. I stop recommend bushy products to my friends after that call. Yes, bushnell does offer good products that is made in Japan. But unwilling to stand behind your warranty, that leaves me a bad taste. Usually I like hardwood, no carpet. No need for hair. Thanks!

I sent in an old Weaver Tactical 2-10 and received a DMRIIi ... I bet if the OP would have talked to someone in person. They would have got this squared away...

I’ve sent the same Leupold in now three times...and they haven’t replaced it...they haven’t been able to rectify the problem...we shall see if they can do it this time around.

Hey c_bass16, this is Dave from Vortex Optics. I saw this and it just pierces my soul! I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. We are a family owned company (we think of our employees and customers as family too!) and never plan to be bought out by some big conglomerate. We love this industry and the people that hunt and shoot, even if you don't have a Vortex product, and it's not fun seeing this kind of thing. I'll tell you what, if you can get Bushnell to send your broken scope back to you we will try and fix it for you for free here at Vortex. Sound like a deal? Our warranty/repair team is open for business and operating, right now! If you get it back, just call 1-800-426-0048 and get to our Customer Care team and tell them Dave on SH sent you in to get your Bushnell scope repaired. I'm pretty confident we can do it...not 100% positive but we will give it our best try!

Last edited:
    Vortex warranty.... deefinitely the best in the business....
    We stand by this industry, even for the other guy!

Reactions: camocorvette
    As a fan of Bushnell, this is very disappointing to read. I was going to pick up the very same optic for an upper... now I’ll just go back to Vortex.

Hey c_bass16, this is Dave from Vortex Optics. I saw this and it just pierces my soul! I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. We are a family owned company (we think of our employees and customers as family too!) and never plan to be bought out by some big conglomerate. We love this industry and the people that hunt and shoot, even if you don't have a Vortex product, and it's not fun seeing this kind of thing. I'll tell you what, if you can get Bushnell to send your broken scope back to you we will try and fix it for you for free here at Vortex. Sound like a deal? Our warranty/repair team is open for business and operating, right now! If you get it back, just call 1-800-426-0048 and get to our Customer Care team and tell them Dave on SH sent you in to get your Bushnell scope repaired. I'm pretty confident we can do it...not 100% positive but we will give it our best try!
    Wow. Nice.

For as long as I can recall, bushnell had crap for customer service. That's why I prefer to buy from companies like Vortex or Athlon or Brownell's, who have reputations for taking care of you.

Very cool Vortex is stepping up to the plate. That's the kind of move that sells scopes! All hail Vortex! :love:

Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback guys.

Especially Dave at Vortex. That's an amazing offer and we will see how these next few days go.

I have been in contact with Bushnell and they are working "harder" to see how they can help and I'm optimistic.

I'm going to take down the listing for the one they sent me for now. If they can fix mine I'll gladly return this one they sent.

Damn, i just sold some stuff to buy a dmr2 to replace my viper...looks like i will stick with vortex

Shred

I've had great customer service with Bushnell. I've been following this post to see where it goes.
    Not trying to get something else started but I had the worse CS with Vortex.

Now that is a class act offer!

I'll be forced to buy a 1-10 now because of that....

Bushnell is now on my shit list of companies to never buy from.
    You Do NOT replace with lesser inferior items if you can't do one for one. You upgrade, it's how you keep and make returning customers.

I went through this with Steiner just recently. Sent in a Military 4-16 for a canted reticle. They said scope is not repairable. And issues me a 1500 dollar credit to use on their online store only. So what did that get me.. a 3-15 T5xi at 2300 dollar price tag, that I had to come out of pocket 800 bucks to buy. I turned in a military scope and ended up paying 800 extra bucks for the tactical scope. Sold the t5xi for 1250 and took my loss and won't ever buy one again from them.

What a sweet offer from Vortex. Maybe I should of asked if they could have fixed my steiner military for me!

I went through this with Steiner just recently. Sent in a Military 4-16 for a canted reticle. They said scope is not repairable. And issues me a 1500 dollar credit to use on their online store only. So what did that get me.. a 3-15 T5xi at 2300 dollar price tag, that I had to come out of pocket 800 bucks to buy. I turned in a military scope and ended up paying 800 extra bucks for the tactical scope. Sold the t5xi for 1250 and took my loss and won't ever buy one again from them.

What a sweet offer from Vortex. Maybe I should of asked if they could have fixed my steiner military for me!
    And they will not do a reticle swap, I have two T5XI's that I'd love to have the new SCR2 reticles in, called them and they told me no.

Yep would would have tried our best to fix it!

Last edited:
    I've had great customer service with Bushnell. I've been following this post to see where it goes.
    Not trying to get something else started but I had the worse CS with Vortex.
    I'm very surprised and sorry to hear that. We pretty much do whatever it takes to make someone happy. PM me or call our cusotmer care line and let us know what happened and I'll see if we can make it right!

Yeah, PFI did something similar to me where they swapped out my PFI RR-800-1 (Japanese-made) for a RR-EVO 3-12x (Chinese-made). Same issue - canted reticle after a not-crazy firing schedule on a 308. Definitely a WTF moment for me on the range while I tried to figure out what happened. I had bought the RR-800-1 secondhand, so it wasn't a big financial hit to me like you're describing, but I can't say I was super happy about the situation. It was also a little more understandable because they had totally gotten out of Japanese-made optics so they basically had what they had on hand to replace it with.

However, I do agree with the OP that I would not find this a terribly good resolution. Handing the customer a $1200 optic to replace a $1700 optic is just not acceptable, especially since if THAT one fails, you're gonna get downshifted yet again.

I think we all have had experiences both good and bad with companies...here is my run down:

Bushnell: sent in two Weaver Tactical optics for service...one illumination issue the other seal issue...both were replaced with new, Bushnell Elite Tactical optics: DMRIIi and SMRS. Turn around time...less than 2 weeks. Received great service and have used the LRTS model with great success.

Leupold: I've sent in the same optic, with the same issues three times...really frustrating...in terms of service...Bushnell just replaced my optics vs trying to waste money and time on fixing something. So should I give up on Leupold forever...no...but it was frustrating...that I was without an optic for near 2.5 months...still operate two Leupold optics for now...

Nightforce: uncleaned glass in my NXS...great service...quick turn around (for me in the optics industry a quick turn around is less than 3 weeks)...no issues. However, for the money I prefer the LRTS line and have sold my NXS optics.

Meopta: uber lose eyepiece on a RD model, it was sloppy...as well as wrong turrets installed on the Optika6 (mil elevation and moa windage)...Meopta's comms were literally one of the fastest but I have given up on the brand because those two things should have never been let out to a consumer and QC should have found it...so in my mind...what else is neglected in QC with a Meopta now.

Elcan: Superb customer service comms through Armament Tech...paid for shipping regardless...unfortunately...Elcan the manufacturer...does not care if you have dirt specks (a lot of them) inside the optic and they consider it normal unless it is within the center, FOV of the optic...to me this is a cheap way out to lackluster controls when building the optics and at the price they are charging...perfection should be expected as my Primary Arms prism sights have been worry free with 5K+ rounds down range...I have tried 4 different Elcans...all of them having so much specks of dirt that I was blown away that it was considered normal at this price and have given up on Elcans.

Trijicon: Great service...always responsive...but I think QC has dropped with them...last several optics I've purchased had issues within the Accupower and ACOG line such as misaligned optical fiber illumination, badly etch reticles, unwashed prisms and turrets not adjusting to spec. I never had issues with older Trijicon products but the last 5 years...I have. Turn around time for me has been less than three weeks which is good...but I am very cautious on buying another Trijicon scope product.

Steiner: Out of box illumination knob excessive play...first time had to use a warranty process with them. Their online portal and comms are awesome and they respond to it within 24hrs thus far. They paid to return the optic and quoted 2-4 weeks for repair...it has been 2 weeks. We shall see how they do.

Here are some of the brands I never had any issues with, as of today, off top of my head: Primary Arms, Holosun, Sig Tango6 line, Schmidt Bender, Mepro Tru-Dot RDS, Aimpoint and EOtech.

Take it for what it is worth...but I have seen a trend of where high end manufacturers focus on their latest and greatest offering while letting their "older" designs suffer a bit in QC while other companies without the "brand" fanboyisms focus much better on QC and CS...I will never buy an Elcan ever again...veeeery cautious with Trijicon now...no clue what is going on....from the grape wine I heard they've lost a lot of experienced people the last 10 years...Meopta is probably out for me as my issues should have been caught with proper QC ...

When I do not like the outcome from a warranty process...I make sure to communicate with the company personally to try and resolve my issues...sometimes you just have to have a professional human-to-human conversation...the only company I wasn't able to do that with was Elcan...they wanted me to pay money to get a different model after receiving 4 lemons...

For the record. I would have been irritated as well if I would have received what the OP have received...but I would have instantly called up CS and asked for a manager to resolve the matter first...

Last edited:
    I would stay on them. It may take some time with the current COVID problems. But I would expect them to do better. It may take a few e mails and phone calls though.

Today when I am thinking of buying a new optic , Service to me means alot , and I know Vortex , SB , and Nightforce have pride in their products and stand behind them . This is great of Vortex , hmm now I got to buy me one of them 1-10 coming out .
    but I can see some scope companies not bothering with an optic which is no longer sold , but yes they should atleast match it with a FFP not a SFP or vise-versa , I would call back and talk to a different person or get your old one to Vortex and update us with outcome
    LOU

@c_bass16,

We sincerely apologize for the experience you’ve had. A mistake was made in the handling of your repair and we are committed to making it right. While we were unable to repair the SMRS 1-8.5x24 you sent to us, we were able to source a brand new SMRS 1-8.5x24. It is being packaged and will be sent to you shortly.

A member from our team will reach out to you directly once the replacement is on its way and provide tracking information. Again, we apologize that there was ever an issue to begin with. We appreciate your previous support and hope that you continue to choose Bushnell in the future!

Damn, owning 2 scopes from Bushnell, this makes me a bit concerned. I'm really glad for the OP that everything will now be sorted out in his favor. However, it had to get to such an extreme circumstance of posting his experience online. It should not have gotten to this point.

To the other member who posted he sent in a faulty weaver tactical and got a replacement DMRii, that is freaking awesome. To me, that is making sure the customer stays happy.

I'm guessing what happened with the OP was a one time thing and that this sort of stuff will not happen again...

Reactions: Basher
    Great to hear that Bushnell is making it right.

Can the scope still be sent to Vortex? I'm interested to hear if they can fix it or not.

Damn, owning 2 scopes from Bushnell, this makes me a bit concerned. I'm really glad for the OP that everything will now be sorted out in his favor. However, it had to get to such an extreme circumstance of posting his experience online. It should not have gotten to this point.

To the other member who posted he sent in a faulty weaver tactical and got a replacement DMRii, that is freaking awesome. To me, that is making sure the customer stays happy.

I'm guessing what happened with the OP was a one time thing and that this sort of stuff will not happen again...

It's a little extreme to call complaining on a forum extreme.

Reactions: granth3w
    It's a little extreme to call complaining on a forum extreme.

Complaining on a forum is some thing that happens all the time everywhere so that in itself is not extreme. It's a bit extreme in my opinion to have gotten to this point before they try to make things right. It's also just that, my opinion. You don't have to agree with it.

Reactions: silentheart
    It's surprising that there are manufacturers on these forums willing to step to and make things right.

Problems happen and not everyone has authority to make decisions. I would assume they follow scripts and flow charts.

Anyways good for Bushnell.

Better late than never I guess. I have an XRS2 and really love that thing. Hopefully this was a one time oversight.

Exact same thing happened to me with their Tactical Excursion spotting scope when it came out.

Within the first 6-8 months it worked fine, then the reticle would rotate with the mag setting. Called them and they told me to send it in and they would see if they could repair it. They also noted they were discontinuing it but would take a look at it.

I specifically told them I wanted exactly this spotter and if they couldnt repair it to contact me and we'd figure out what to do.

A month passes and a box shows up. It's some sort of non reticle bent tube spotter that when I looked on their site retailed for less than the Excursion. Not only did they not listen to me, but they sent me some cheaper POS spotter I didn't want that didn't have the features that were the sole reason I had bought the spotter in the first place.

Called them and was offered a coupon for something like 20% off my next purchase. I thought they were fucking trolling me.

Moved onto the Spotter 60 masterrace and never touched anything Bushell since.

Glad they hooked you up.

Last edited: