• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Bushnell DMR II 3.5-21x50 G3 Illuminated OR....

LAcpa

Private
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2020
Louisiana
1st time posting, long time reader.

My question pertains to Bushnell DMR II 3.5-21x50. I found an illuminated version at a good price, but realize this scope has some shortcomings, such as glass quality. Options under $1k? Will be used on 20” 223 gas rifle for target shooting to 600 yards and some stationary varmint/coyote hunting.

things I like about the Bushnell - appears to be a solid scope with reliable controls (turrets adjust where they should), good low end magnification of 3.5x, ffp illuminated reticle.

Ez pass for me.

Ur looking at a spec sheet to make conclusions. 3.5-21 has too many compromises as a do all/hunting focused scope. The narrow fov and thin at low power reticle means it’s basically an 8-18 or so scope.

Something like the 3-12 or 4.5-18 with the illuminated reticle is what ur after.

1st time posting, long time reader.

My question pertains to Bushnell DMR II 3.5-21x50. I found an illuminated version at a good price, but realize this scope has some shortcomings, such as glass quality. Options under $1k? Will be used on 20” 223 gas rifle for target shooting to 600 yards and some stationary varmint/coyote hunting.

things I like about the Bushnell - appears to be a solid scope with reliable controls (turrets adjust where they should), good low end magnification of 3.5x, ffp illuminated reticle.
Welcome to the forum. I had the original DMR and I've had the DMR II, the DMR II is a definite improvement and the consensus is that the DMR Pro is an even further improvement; however, the Pro is more expensive and does not offer illumination. So if you must stay under $1k and have illumination then this is a very decent optic.

With that said, the scope is a beast at 35oz for an AR-15 going out to 600 yards. Like Ndbowhunter mentioned, the LRHSi/LRTSi scopes would be a much better fit (lighter), but these scopes have been discontinued and are harder and harder to find. Also something like the Vortex PST II 3-15 is also a nice option with very decent glass for under $1k. Another option would be the Burris XTR II 4-20x50, you can often find these for well under $1k. Don't let the 4x fool you, the Burris gets 25.8' FOV at 100y while the Bushy gets only 25.3' at 100y, so while at first glance it seems the Bushnell would be better because it goes down to 3.5x, the Burris actually has greater FOV at 4x and FOV almost always trumps magnification in my book. The Tract Toric 4-20 is another really good scope and used to be found for under $1k but I think they're a bit more these days, issues with the Toric is that while it has great glass it is a brick for a 30mm scope at 34oz and it's FOV is rather narrow, outside of that I really like the scope overall. I did a review of the Tract a couple years ago on opticsthoughts - https://opticsthoughts.com/?p=2354 and while I mostly focused on the Toric, I did compare to several other budget scopes I had on hand and while I did not have the DMR II at the time, I would put it on par with the XTR II with regard to IQ if that helps.

You're going to get dozens of different recommendations but in the end, find the scope with the features you want and be happy with that choice. At the end of the day, if you decide the DMR II checks all the boxes and you don't mind the weight then go that route as it's a great scope for the price.

I have a DMR2 on a 20 inch 5.56 and use it for prs gas gun matches ,we shoot out to 700 yds . I have no issue's with the glass , it tracks good , the turrets are good and the zero stop is pretty easy to set up . my rifle is heavy and the scope is defiantly not a feather weight but I like the extra weight it helps me stay in the reticle and spot my impacts . I would buy another if I needed an extra scope .
ZNxZHqx.jpg

Reactions: Glassaholic
I have a DMR2 on a 20 inch 5.56 and use it for prs gas gun matches ,we shoot out to 700 yds . I have no issue's with the glass , it tracks good , the turrets are good and the zero stop is pretty easy to set up . my rifle is heavy and the scope is defiantly not a feather weight but I like the extra weight it helps me stay in the reticle and spot my impacts . I would buy another if I needed an extra scope .
ZNxZHqx.jpg
Love the a2 stock! I find myself ditching the adjustable on barrels >16”. Got hooked on rifles in Basic training in 1989 shooting an A2.