• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell Elite 3.5-21x50 FFP long term test

Re: Bushnell Elite 3.5-21x50 FFP long term test

Another review by Dmack, looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this scope.

Ok, for those of you waiting patiently, I apologize for not being active with this thread. We had the Christmas / New Years break at work, and now I am getting ready for SHOT Show.

The Bushnell 3.5-21 is now loaned to a local Sheriff's Office to let them see how they like it.

This optic will live on my MEGA ARMS MA-10 and and will be used and abused.

Just holding this optic and feeling the turrets, I am VERY impressed. We already know that the optic has been given great reviews, but I am really looking forward to doing my own.

Have a wonderful week... I will have more information to add after SHOT.

Cheers!

I posted this question regarding the HDMR in another thread but as sometimes happens some posts, this time mine, end up being lost in the back and forth. This scope looks is not only impressive but tempting, however still kind of curious about its glass, I know this is usually a subjective topic but still humor me since this thread is about said scope.

Everyone that has used one has talked about how great its glass is and compared it more often than not to some of the big boys yet it is the same glass as the rest of the elite scopes. What about it makes it seem so impressive glass wise? Not calling anyone out but just asking. Maybe Ilya you can shed some light on this?

Flyingbullseye

See this post of mine about a day shooting rifles side by side with the HDMR, PST 4-16x50, and S&B 4-16x42.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3013249#Post3013249

We started at 100 yds shooting at a target with a .1 mil grid. Viewing the grid, the S&B was extremely sharp and bright. The HDMR was close to the S&B but the resolution was not as sharp. The Vortex PST was sharp enough to resolve the grid and sharp enough to spot hits on steel at 885 yards, but the image was not as bright or as sharp as the other two scopes. I have not shot or owned any other Bushnell Elite Tactical scopes but the HDMR is at a higher price point than previous Bushnell Tactical scopes so it's likely that Bushnell spec'd better glass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flyingbullseye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I posted this question regarding the HDMR in another thread but as sometimes happens some posts, this time mine, end up being lost in the back and forth. This scope looks is not only impressive but tempting, however still kind of curious about its glass, I know this is usually a subjective topic but still humor me since this thread is about said scope.

Everyone that has used one has talked about how great its glass is and compared it more often than not to some of the big boys yet it is the same glass as the rest of the elite scopes. What about it makes it seem so impressive glass wise? Not calling anyone out but just asking. Maybe Ilya you can shed some light on this?

Flyingbullseye </div></div>

There's no getting around it. If you want the best glass then spend $3000+. If you would rather not then the HDMR will do fine. I can tell you this, the glass in my HDMR's resolve better than the IOR's I had and my Nightforce's.

Here is my input thus far... as far as glass goes. I am in NO way an expert on the building, and engineering of tactical optics, or any optics in that matter.

I have also not actually shot behind this optic yet. But, my "seat of the pants" feel is that this optic is EVERY BIT as clear as my US Optics SN3 scopes. I always have been, and always WILL be a fan of US Optics, but this Bushy has my attention.

My only gripe thus far, is that the reticle (I have the MILDOT reticle, not the Horus H59) is a bit "thick" at full power.

Not a huge issue, but it is thick.

I will do some subtension measurements to try to gain insight on just how thick the reticle is at full power, but that will be a few weeks down the road.

If you are on the fence with this... I will say this. The glass is absolutely amazing for it's price point. I have not used the SWFA SS 5-20 yet, but I have friends that I trust that say it's a great optic.

Where this Bushnell excells (compared to the SWFA SS) is that it is a 3.5-21... so, you get a wee bit larger field of view at lower power. Edge clarity is outstanding. I also really like the large, lockable turrets. The clicks are very pronounced, and have a US Optics feel to them.

An hour in my pool on a 50 degree day, netted zero fogging. The HD coating is supurb.

More to follow... but it will be after SHOT Show.

I hope this helps a bit...

Cheers,

DMack

I went shooting with DMack yesterday and got to check this thing out and my observations pretty much mirror his. So far I like this optic although I'm not sure how I'd feel about it with the Horus in it. That said I'm not a mildot fan either. I think a TMR or Mil GAP would be a nice option.

What I liked most about it was its size...very compact length. If they stay on top of QC and don't get lazy like they have with some of their binoculars this optic may have a very bright future given it's price point.

I'm sure there is some misunderstanding about my question so my apologies. I asked specifically back in the spring about the glass and whether or not it was different from the rest of the elite scopes since its still considered part of the elite line. A few people, one I believe more in the know that others said specifically they are the same. But more to the point.

I've looked through a friends elite ffp 6-24 and compared it to my weaver EDMR and the SS HD I had. Both the weaver and SS were the same while what I noticed on the bushy was a slight white washout of some colors while still showing a very bright, almost brighter picture than the other two. Having the same glass quality, at least what was posted earlier I would think I should see the same image as in my friends elite 6-24. As a few have posted, not calling into question anyone's opinion, these are being touted as nearly equal to some of the big boy makes. To me something doesn't add up, hope I'm being clearer?

The thing is I'm on the fence about this scope and a few others and just don't want to "shoot myself in the foot" if it turns out to be the same as my experience with my friends elite. Before anyone decides to jump on me for this I'm not saying the quality is crap but just want to clear things up for myself before I shell out the cash.

Thanks guys for your input and opinions quality wise, and yes I'm aware if one wants the best fork over the 3k+ bucks.

Lastly in case anyone hasn't see this about the HDMR check this out from the optics talk.
http://www.opticstalk.com/bushnell-hdmr_topic31315.html

Flyingbullseye

I have no complaints in glass quality in my HDMR. Has a very bright, clear picture. Seems much better than the Elite 4200 Tacticals I had. Hope to look at a resolution chart this weekend to compare with a couple of my F1s, NXSs, and a S&B.

Overall Im really diggin this scope. Bushnell is listening, and did great job with this scope. Not to mention the GAP2 reticle is awesome.

I have had a few other Bushnell 6500 Elite tactical riflescopes in the past to use at work. All of the ones I am referring to, had the HD coating... but were SFP. The glass was nice, but no where near the caliber of THIS glass.

I have no astygmatism, but I do wear corrective lenses. I have zero issue finding a sight picture with the HDMR scope. The eye relief is nice, easy to find, and from static testing, you don't have to go looking for it as you change power.

After SHOT, I will actually be able to shoot with it. Right now, it's on loan to a local S.O. for them to get on with it. They are really digging it.

I too, will do some resolution testing with it once I get behind it. I completely understand your reservations on committing to an optic that is essentially untried... by a name that gives most people impressions of Grandpa's lever action 30-30... but, I'm telling you, Bushnell has upped their game. They are listening to shooters, and taking heed. They brought some big name people into the R&D for this optic, and I'm pleased as punch to be able to give one a go.

This I can promise... once I start running it, you will hear the good, the bad, the ugly. Hopefully, there won't be much of the latter.

I hope this helps... I know it is frustrating to make a decision based on other peoples objectivity. But, as a shooter, I think they hit a home run with this.

Flying Bulls Eye... I have a contact with the company, and I will ask first hand about the glass. Is it the same as the others in the Elite Line. I will also see them at SHOT, so I will have a ton of questions for them.

I will get back with you on this.

DMack

Ok.

I just got off the phone with my contact in the business. I was assured that the HDMR is not built on the same line as the other Elite line. They are paying very much attention to this glass. It's the "hot rod" of Bushnell.

So, the glass is not the same as the other Elite line. The clean room procedures are also ramped up across the board. He stated that we shall see an increase in QC in the Bushnell products, which shows that they are listening.

I hope this helps.

v/r

DMack

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lone Wolf... I caught your video review and smiled. You do some of the same drills that I do. I will PM you my infamous 900 inch drill... You can add that to your tool box.

I have very high hopes for this scope. I've had great luck with the other Bushy glass I've used. So far, this thing has my attention. I just have to get a sun shade and some Butler Creek caps for it.

The turrets lock nicely, and have a Nightforce feel to the detents. I will see how well it repeats when I run my 900 inch drill with it.

Be safe Brother...

DMack </div></div>

DMack, I didn't see on here but what size BC's did you get?

Somewhere else on the 'Hide a guy recommended 19 and 44's. The 44's fit perfect but the 19's are too small, on mine at least...

OMT... I have not gotten any yet. It's on my list. It ships with the Bushy lens covers, and a nice sunshade... I will pick up some BC's after shot. If you figure out the size, please post in here... I have not measured it yet.

The Bushy covers are the traditional storage covers, with the elastic bands.

Sorry, wish I could help out there.

Nevermind... I just realized that they sent me a size 19 Objective cover and a size 44 Objective cover. I thought they just changed the design since the last time I ordered.

It's 19 and 44.

DMack, way to go the extra mile. Many thanks. Now the hard part is waiting for shot to come and go to see the new lines everyone is bringing out and make a decision. This won't be easy especially since bushnell just came out with 10 mil knobs for this thing.

Flyingbullseye

Roger that... thank you.

Did I miss the MSRP somewhere?

on a flat top AR-10/15, what size rings are needs to keep the objective bell from touching the rail?

Ranger... I have it mounted on an AR-10 using a Badger Flat Top AR Riser (low mount) and Low Rings. I am using Millet Tactical 35mm rings, because they sent them with the optic when it shipped. These are the 35mm rings, and there were no measurement on them. There is clearance with the sunshade, no issues. I will get some pictures of it mounted with this set up, when I get back from SHOT.

Here are some pictures of this optic, next to one of my SFP Bushnell Elite Tactical scopes. This will show the size difference with the knobs.

Bushnell001.jpg

Bushnell002.jpg

Bushnell004.jpg

Bushnell003.jpg

Bushnell005.jpg

I took these photos when I first received the HDMR.

Ok, I had a few pics on my camera from when I first mounted this optic on my MEGA Monolithic MA-Ten to see what it looked like, and to see how the objective cleared the rails.

This is using the Millet Tactical 35mm "Medium" ring... listed as .642 in height. This is the ring here:

p141489b.jpg

http://theconsumerlink.com/product_detail.asp?BID=Millett&T1=TCL+DT00725&navStart=0&.

Here are a few pictures showing the optic mounted on the Mega Monolithic MA-Ten:

Notice the Bushy covers that ship with the optic... they JUST BARELY clear the rail with the Medium rings...

RifleandMISC019.jpg

Here shows the gap between the bell and the rail... sorry for the lighting.

RifleandMISC023.jpg

RifleandMISC024.jpg

I like how this fits...

RifleandMISC029.jpg

RifleandMISC030.jpg

I will be sending the Upper to GAP to do the GAP-10 treatment to it, I'm building the lower out myself.

I think this glass will do well on this rifle.

RifleandMISC031.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been running the H59 in comps for the last year without any issues so far. </div></div>

That's awesome Jon... you are running the H59 using holds mostly, correct? Do you ever do any dial adjustment? I know the H59 subtends correctly, and I understand the reason for the reticle... but, for what I do with these rifles, I don't think the H59 will ever catch on.

Are you having luck with the turrets and the erector being reliable?

I really think Bushy is on to something with this optic... I'm excited to work this thing out.

I got one of the G2 reticle scopes. I really hope bushy comes out with a 10 mil / rev version with ZS. I could care less about illumination.

I hear ya GH... but, here at work, this will be used mostly from 600 yards and in... (I'm stuck in the Law Enforcement Genre) but, when I shoot with Battle Axe, we have the opportunity to stretch out to 850 yards.

The 5 MIL per revolution should be ok for me... it would be nice though, if they made a dual marked turret like most of the big boys.

I like my EREK on my USO's... I can tell when I am past my first revolution.

I've been told that Bushy is gonna debut some new reticles at SHOT. I hope I have time to make it by the booth and get my grubs on them...

Yes it is a 34mm tube, I've mounted mine in Seekins 34mm rings.

The tube is marketed as 34 mm and the rings are marketed as 35mm... I have not used my calipers on either yet. But, it fits those rings perfectly.

For rings, I use Warne steel rings. they are nice because they don't need to be lapped. They're actual 34mm rings. I'm not sure how much of a difference 34 vs 35mm rings will make. with the tolerances in these things, I would say stick with 34mm

and Dmack, the BC is 19 for the back and 11 on the front (at least that's what mine says on it, I just looked at it for you)

Dmack,
Do you feel that the lack of illumination is a big deal for le use? I'm currently running an older bushnell 3-12 ffp on my duty rig( it has illumination). I haven't had a callout warranting me deploying my bolt gun and chances are in my area few situations will. I have fondled one of the hdmrs at the NRA show and spoke to Jeff about it and I was more than impressed with both the scope and bushnell. I would love to pick up this scope for duty, but the lack of illumination is holding me back a bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got one of the G2 reticle scopes. I really hope bushy comes out with a 10 mil / rev version with ZS. I could care less about illumination. </div></div>

http://www.opticstalk.com/bushnell-hdmr_topic31315.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flyingbullseye</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got one of the G2 reticle scopes. I really hope bushy comes out with a 10 mil / rev version with ZS. I could care less about illumination. </div></div>

http://www.opticstalk.com/bushnell-hdmr_topic31315.html </div></div>

Looks like I won't be mounting my new scope after all. I'll gladly hold out for 10 mils/rev even if I have to throw a couple hundred bucks at it.

I really like the H58 and H59 for Pdogs. I use the ranging indicator on the top then look at my dope card and hold over.

Those new turrets look nice. It would be interesting to see what the turrets will feel like.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been running the H59 in comps for the last year without any issues so far. </div></div>

That's awesome Jon... you are running the H59 using holds mostly, correct? Do you ever do any dial adjustment? I know the H59 subtends correctly, and I understand the reason for the reticle... but, for what I do with these rifles, I don't think the H59 will ever catch on.

Are you having luck with the turrets and the erector being reliable?

I really think Bushy is on to something with this optic... I'm excited to work this thing out.</div></div>

My son Brad ran it at ASC this year and finished 5th, he would have tied for 3rd but ran over one stage by a second, and he dialed every shot except the 2 stages that weren't practical.He had zero issues,and at ASC, thats a lot of Dialing!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flyingbullseye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.opticstalk.com/bushnell-hdmr_topic31315.html </div></div>

With shot show, did anyone happen to talk to Bushy and find out if/when the 10 mil/rev scopes would be hitting the market? I don't even see the HDMR listed on their site.

Last I checked on their site, I didn't see it there either. Actually, I went to it to register mine, and I had to check "other."

Also, have any of you with the HDMR noticed at high magnification very prominent purple fringing and chromatic aberrations? Unless my head is perfectly centered in the scope, against a white background with a dark target, there is very, very significant CA and PF. I don't know if this is a good thing, or not, or indicative of a defective scope. I'll be giving Dustin a call today, but I'd appreciate any feedback you all might have.

I'm waiting for DMack to finish his review. I'm pretty much down to this scope with a H59 reticle or the SWFA SS HD 5-20.

Okay everyone. Let the T&E begin. Dmack just gave our agency this optic to test out in the real world and it was fitted to one of our sniper's rifles. We got it zeroed today with Dmack's help and ran his 900 inch drill. We ran the turrets up and down to both extremes in elevation and left and right to both extremes in windage. the zero repeated like a dream and the rounds went through the same holes already made in the beginning. Stand by for more to follow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tip2oo3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dmack,
Do you feel that the lack of illumination is a big deal for le use? I'm currently running an older bushnell 3-12 ffp on my duty rig( it has illumination). I haven't had a callout warranting me deploying my bolt gun and chances are in my area few situations will. I have fondled one of the hdmrs at the NRA show and spoke to Jeff about it and I was more than impressed with both the scope and bushnell. I would love to pick up this scope for duty, but the lack of illumination is holding me back a bit. </div></div>

Sorry that it took me so long to get back with you. Actually, on the topic of Illumination... are you using Night Vision? If so... I've found that the red illum does not get lost in the PVS-22 or 24. Green Illum does. I have optics that are illuminated, and those that are not. Once you shoot with GOOD Illuminated reticles, it's hard to go without. I understand your trepedation in this...

However, the HDMR reticle is etched well... (at least the MILDOT version is) and it is heavy enough to be able to see with the PVS that I use.

Sorry for the speak around... but, I can't say one way or the other if it would be a detriment to your duty rig. I can say, that the HDMR glass is FAR superior to the other Bushnell Elite Tactical glass I have used.

I hope this makes it a little less muddy for ya...

Cheers!

DMack

Thanks, no night vision, looks like im gonna pick one of these up soon.

Tip... I think you will be pleased with it.

just make sure that when/if you get one, yours does not have major chromatic aberration, purple fringing and an amber ring showing around the scope picture.

Copdoc... I would say send yours back.... Mine does not have that issue. No clue what would cause that in yours... Mine is crystal clear edge to edge.

Dmack,

yep, i got an email into Dustin at GA and I've talked couple times with him about those issues. I'm sure he'll take care of me
smile.gif

Brother, it's unfortunate that you had issues with yours. I'm sure that they will do right by you... they (Bushnell) are hungry for the Law Enforcement market, and are eager to get their products out there. From what I have seen so far, this is a very nice / cost effective optic for Departments on a tight budget, or individual Officer purchase.

I say that, not to distract from the optic... but in comparisson to what you get, the other optics on the market are MUCH more expensive.

More to follow as I gain real world knowledge and use behind this glass.

Cheers!

Just off the phone with Bushnell and they will gladly take it back pending a discussion I have with Dustin at GAP. Sure feels good to have a company back up their products.

safe day to ya, sir

tony

HDMR is on its way back to Bushnell. I'll post up here with info soon as I have it from them. Spoke with a gentleman named Steve Hanna; very helpful.

This is good JuJu Brother... My own dealings with Bushnell have been VERY positive. I know they are doing their best to "re" establish themselves in the "tactical" market, and get rid of the stigma that has haunted them for all these years.

The Elite line is good to go... but, the Elite HDMR is a different animal all together.

I have a few minutes behind mine thus far, but it's loaned out to a Sniper on a local agency for him to test. They really like it so far. Once I get it back, and put it on my test rifle, I will put it to the test.

Good to hear you are getting squared away.

Be safe out there...