• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell Elite 3.5-21x50 FFP long term test

Re: Bushnell Elite 3.5-21x50 FFP long term test

I had to send mine back to Bushnell to have the turret problem corrected. They paid the freight both ways. I sent it on a Monday and had it back on Thursday.

I must say that their CS is top notch in my book. They sent me a set of rings and some M7 Pro cleaning products for my trouble.

I put mine on my GAP AR 10 in Badger Mount and I am really digging that combination!!

Big thanks to Dustin @ GAP for his advice, and Tom and Todd at Bushnell for the excellent customer service and turn around time...
d114d36a.jpg

I would really like to try one of these! All I keep hearing are good things. But didn't the leupold rep from shot say that their new 3-18 is going to be in the same price rang?

Ooops! I was way off... From the swfa scopes at shot post

Mark 6 3-18x44mm (34mm) M5B2, Matte, Front Focal CMR-W, $2,199.95
Mark 6 3-18x44mm (34mm) M5B2, Matte, Front Focal TREMOR 2, $2,549.95
Mark 6 3-18x44mm (34mm) M5B2, Matte, Front Focal H-58, $2,549.95

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is good JuJu Brother... My own dealings with Bushnell have been VERY positive. I know they are doing their best to "re" establish themselves in the "tactical" market, and get rid of the stigma that has haunted them for all these years.

The Elite line is good to go... but, the Elite HDMR is a different animal all together.

I have a few minutes behind mine thus far, but it's loaned out to a Sniper on a local agency for him to test. They really like it so far. Once I get it back, and put it on my test rifle, I will put it to the test.

Good to hear you are getting squared away.

Be safe out there... </div></div>

Although this has nothing to do with the hdmr itself I'll share my bushnell experience. Last winter I bought my own bolt gun with intentions to get the training to carry in the trunk of the cruiser on patrol. My dept. is a small, isolated town without a local trained team to deal with armed encounters other than us patrol guys. I had the funds to purchase the rifle only at the time. Frank(lowlight) started a thread to offer his bushnell scope he tested to someone who needed it. It came down to an officer in florida and myself. He ended up sending the scope to the ofc. In Florida. A few days later frank pm'd me saying bushnell wanted to send me a scope. I got in contact with Jeff redding, the riflescope manager at bushnell. He sent me a 3-12 ffp and a 1-4 for our patrol rifle.

I've ran the scope through two classes totaling 6 days of training through rainstorms, cold and dusty dry conditions. The scope has performed without a hiccup or any problems whatsoever.

After meeting with Jeff at the NRA this year and seeing what he has done for me and my dept. I would wholeheartedly say bushnell is doing what they can to cater to the le market. It is defiantely helping that they are providing cost effective gear that works, and aren't skimping on the quality of their product.

Don't know if anyone knows this but Jeff Redding is gone from Bushnell. Have no idea where he went or who took his place.

With CS stories like these, and the new offerings in the Elite Tactical line, I think Bushnell is poised for a big year.

The HDMR is a fine scope.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't know if anyone knows this but Jeff Redding is gone from Bushnell. Have no idea where he went or who took his place.

With CS stories like these, and the new offerings in the Elite Tactical line, I think Bushnell is poised for a big year.

The HDMR is a fine scope.

Scott </div></div>

Did not know that, thanks for the info.

Randy Hudson is who I am dealing with. He is a stand up guy from head to toe. I also deal with Rick Branom in Florida. They are both second to none... Thanks for the words Gentlemen... They mean a lot.

Cheers!

What's the warentee on these? Is it lifetime?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeepocabra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's the warentee on these? Is it lifetime? </div></div>

I am also curious on this. Also, why is this scope not on their website?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slivoman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I am also curious on this. Also, why is this scope not on their website? </div></div>

That is a good question. It would be good if they added all their new products on their website. The HDMR has been out long enough

I nope it is, I just plunked the money down for one from George at GAP. As is it's a risk being a buyer of first year products. It would really be a bummer to have a short warranty if/when something is wrong.

I really like the GAP2 reticle it is very clean. I have used a lot of the Bushnell tactical scopes and we are looking forward to testing a 3.5-21x50mm soon. Lisa and Jacob (from RO) let me play with one for the a day, it looked like it had a lot of hard use but it was still going strong. The guys at Bushnell have been really nice and helpful.

Mike @ CST

FWIW, I had a call from Todd at Bushnell couple days ago during which I described to him the chromatic aberrations I was seeing. He assured me that Bushnell Performance Optics would do whatever it took to make me happy with my purchase. I did in fact get one of the G2 scopes within the first run of 200 that George sold. Todd was very reassuring to this old geezer here, who, while he ain't broke, ain't able to set aside Air Force One, rent an entire hotel, and head off to Hawaii to fuck around on a goddamn golf course
laugh.gif

Scope arrives tomorrow in KS and he assured me they'd evaluate it and get back promptly to me.

If that's the type of customer service Bushnell is giving these days, I guess my mind is made up. I'm getting the HDMR. It just seems like a no brainer and I get the Horus reticle.

UPDATE:

So far, the optic is holding zero supurbly. I have no issues with any chromatic aberrations as described above. I have also just recieved one of the newest Generation Elite Tactical 3-12 FFP / MILDOT / .1 MIL Turrets... I'm equally impressed by this glass.

Bushy seems to have upped their game. I spoke with Tom at SHOT about the HDMR... He has been involved with the development of this HDMR optic from the ground floor. Very knowledgable and up front guy.

I would not hesitate to buy this optic.

The Sheriff's Office Sniper Team that is using my HDMR on one of their rigs, is EXTREMELY happy with it.

More to follow...

Thanks for the great comments. I ordered mine yesterday with Mil Dot.

DMack

I was under the impression the HDMR was a different animal than the 3-12 ffp. You are saying that it is comparable to the HDMR?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red Belly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DMack

I was under the impression the HDMR was a different animal than the 3-12 ffp. You are saying that it is comparable to the HDMR? </div></div>

RB...

No, the Elite 3-12 FFP is not the same as the HDMR. The Elite 3-12 is "traditional" in the sense, that it is using a 30mm tube, and has the "traditional" Elite style turrets that do not lock. It has side parallax adjustment, and an illuminated reticle. The HDMR has a 34 mm tube, has GIANT turrets that lock when pushed down, and does not have an illuminated reticle (yet, that I know of).

I mentioned the 3-12 because for it's pricepoint, I can say... I was VERY impressed. I mounted it on one of my Staff Member's brand new Savage FCP-10.

So, hopefully, this clears up some confusion. I heard from Bushnell, that the HDMR is NOT assembled in the same area as the Elite Tactical line... and does not use the same glass.

However, the new 3-12 Elite FFP that we got in recently, is simply amazing for it's price.

Once I get some time behind both of them... I can speak more intelligently. It looks as if Bushnell is gaining traction, and I am happy for the company. I have nothing but positive things to say.

For the record... I am still a HUGE US Optics fan, loyal to the bone. But, Not everyone can play in that price point. So, it makes me feel good that there are other options out there.

Cheers!

DMack

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AR15-30 Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the great comments. I ordered mine yesterday with Mil Dot. </div></div>

Mike, let us know what you think when you get yours. Post some pictures of how you mount it...

I too, went with the MILDOT, for reasons already stated. However, Bushy is coming out with some very nice reticle designs as of late. 2012 may just be their year!

Cheers!

DMack

Thanks DMack. I have a rifle being built at GAP Right now & I am really considering giving the 3-12 a try. Thanks for the insights. It is appreciated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red Belly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks DMack. I have a rifle being built at GAP Right now & I am really considering giving the 3-12 a try. Thanks for the insights. It is appreciated. </div></div>

Anytime Brother... I am trying to get the most accurate (read, unbiased) data out there for everyone. Would I use the Elite 3-12 FFP on my own rifle? You bet. For the money, it really is impressive. They have redesigned the inner workings of the turrets, and they are holding their zero.

We just got this new one in this week, and I mounted it on the Savage yesterday. Just laying on my belly with it yesterday, I was VERY impressed with the glass clarity. MUCH more so than my older Elite glass...

Let us know what you finally decide. I'm all about sharing information.

Cheers!

DMack

Here's the update on my HDMR G2 that I sent back to Bushnell Performance Optics. It was indeed defective, and CS agreed to take it back. Unfortunately, the time delay between getting a replacement and now was longer than I was willing to wait. So, after talking with Steve and Todd, we settled on taking out of their present stock an HDMR with the TREMOR reticle. It will ship tomorrow, so I should have it by the end of the week, or first thing this coming Monday.

Steve and Todd are incredible good customer service reps. The quality of their response to my dilemma was superb!, in fact, it was caring, supportive and spot-on with their communication frequency and availability. With this kind of service there is no question in my mind that they will play a stellar role in serving the law enforcement/military community, and will make it so much better for those civilians/private citizens amongst us to have the same kind of support.

Thanks, Steve and Todd, you all get my business. Now, over to your site to check out your spotting scopes
smile.gif

doc

New HDMR scope arrived today as replacement for the G2 reticle version. This one has the TReMoR-2 reticle in it :), which is what I asked for as a replacement. Talk about clear optics. WOW. Steve Hanna is absolutely good to go: did what he said he would, when he said he would, and how he said he would! Many thanks also to Todd. Just have to mount the scope now, begin to learn the reticle and head out to the range. Glad to report all is well
smile.gif

doc

Bushnell optics are good to go. I have several of their older 4200 models, and a couple 6500 models. I have ran the turrets out to 1000 and back many times. Very good return to zero, nice and clear optics. Yes, they have a lifetime warranty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: copdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New HDMR scope arrived today as replacement for the G2 reticle version. This one has the TReMoR-2 reticle in it :), which is what I asked for as a replacement. Talk about clear optics. WOW. Steve Hanna is absolutely good to go: did what he said he would, when he said he would, and how he said he would! Many thanks also to Todd. Just have to mount the scope now, begin to learn the reticle and head out to the range. Glad to report all is well
smile.gif

doc </div></div>

That was quick!

Hopefully I'm not going to steal anyone's thunder but I figured I would add my bit on this optic.

Over the past year I have had the pleasure of owning two nightforce scopes, as well as a mk4 and have had allot of time behind a zeiss conquest. As far as optical clarity I find this bushnell to be the equal of my nightforce scopes. The turret feel is fantastic, I almost prefer them to the NF turrets. The adjustment style is a nice bit of assurance that they won't get moved off zero during packing. The gap reticle looks to be really user friendly. It is a bit thick at full power for target use but for a tactical type gun it's great. If the reticle is too thick just back off magnification a bit. It is noticeably heavier than my nightfoce scopes, and as mentioned if that's any indication of build quality, this scope is stout.. Overall, I am sold on these.

The only issue I have is as the other member experienced in this thread. My optic shows some chromatic aberrations as well as having a noticeable yellowish ring at the outside. I don't know if this is harming the optical clarity of the scope, but if it is then a poperly functioning scope should have some truly good glass. I have yet to speek with bushnell but plan to Monday. Hopefully the wait on a repair or replacement won't be too extreme.

Thank you all for your real world, unbiased contributions. Much appreciated.

Real World test, week 2. The rifle and optic have been bouncing aroun din the back of my sniper's car for two weeks. It was encased in a Pelican for a few days, but since has found home in a soft case. He fired cold bore This past Wednesday night and put five rounds in the size of a quarter. The optic has held it's zero and was capable of delivering a lethal shot if necessary. So far our snipers and agency are VERY pleased with this optic and if all goes well, we will purchase these for our snipers. More to follow.

I taught a MILDOT / Passive Ranging class on Monday. I had several of the local LE Snipers come and sit in on the training. I was able to test resolution and subtension on this HDMR, and it was spot on throughout the power range.

Some of the Snipers that came were using Nightforce optics, so we were able to let all of the shooters look through the Bushnell. Every single one of them were impressed.

As stated earlier... the reticle IS a bit thick at full power, but not to the point that you will suffer precision. Backing the mag down a bit, makes it a non issue. Parallax is EASY to dial out, and the glass is crystal clear from edge to edge. At least mine is.

Of note... I have noticed posters speak of issues with their glass... mine is the standard MILDOT reticle, not the TRMR or H59... I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not, but my glass is very bright, very clear.

I still have not shot behind this glass yet. It's mounted on an AR-10 that a local Sniper is using on duty.

I may have to wrestle him to get it back!

Be safe out there everyone...

DMack

UPDATE:

Without going into LEO Specific details... this optic was used on an active call out last week (barricaded suspect) and worked brilliantly.

The Sniper that is using this glass right now, does not want to give it up. I may have to wrestle with him to get it back... :)

Also, FYI, Bushnell is VERY aware of the edge distortion and chromatic issues with the HDMR glass. They are working HARD on finding a solution. Thank you for everyone that has sent me PM's on this and I can assure you... I will make sure the proper personnel see them.

I don't work for Bushnell, but I am running this glass. All input is welcomed, and I know Bushnell is interested in the data. They are committed to building the BEST optic they can for the price.

Be safe out there everyone...

DMack

Ok, my apologies to all...

I have been VERY busy at work lately. Seems there is not enough time in the day to accomplish all of my tasks.

My HDMR 3.5-21 has been loaned out to a local Sheriff's Office since I basically got it, and now I will be loaning it out to yet another Sheriff's Office. I have yet to even be able to shoot behind it.

The good news is, the local S.O. that has been using it, liked it so much, that they placed a bid to order four to replace the older Leupold MK4 SFP optics they were using.

I have no clue when I will actually be able to use it, but the feed back that I am getting is VERY positive. It has held zero completely. It does have plenty of MAG to do facial recognition in low light, observations (door hinges - in swing / out swing), vehicle tags, etc...

The only gripe thus far is the illuminated reticle... or lack there of.

More to follow from the other S.O. as soon as they get it, and start inputting data to me.

Again, my apologies. I have tons of irons in the fire...

Cheers!

DMack

Ok, brown truck just dropped off a box with an HDMR with a G2DMR reticle.

All I can say is... wow. I really like this reticle... it's in my tub now, completely submerged... gonna let it rest there for a while, and check to see if it's water tight.

This reticle subtends nicely... and I think it will be a good fit for what I will be doing with it. My MILDOT version is on loan still. This one will be mounted and shot by me...

Knobs are solid, lined up, glass is clear, and I can say that I really like this G2DMR reticle...

I will post some pics and range report once I get it mounted up. I will be using one of the new 34mm mounts from Alamo... that thing is built like a tank.

Great info, DMack you were already instrumental in my PWS MK114 purchase and it looks like you may cost me some more money. Actually, you may save me some money since this scope would be significantly under other options I am considering (USO, S&B, etc.).

Thanks for your real-world observations.

Can't wait to hear your own first-hand report on this glass at the range.

(This would not be for the Mk114 btw)

Just ordered 2 Of These Same Exact Scopes from LibertyOptics.com. Scott is Awesome with the Services as Always and I think I got a Great Deal on them! They still have 2 More left at a Great price if I remember correctly. And it's the G2DMR Reticles! Which is what I got on both of mine. After reading this Review I am very Hyped and Excited about getting these Next Week! It's going on to my 5R Milspec 20incher and a Custom .260 Remington 700. I hope I'll put it to good use and learn to shoot well with it as I am fairly new to the LR Field. Will Report with some Results once I get them in and Break them in at the Range. Thanks everybody here for the Wonderful informations that helped me decide on this scope! You guys are Great Help!!!

hogtooth, thanks for the info, just ordered 1 from liberty,best deal around

Oops...Very sorry about that. As you can see I'm fairly new to the Hide and didn't post much for this same exact reason...Didn't want to mess up or say something wrong...But looks like I failed already at that...Just got a little too excited after reading this review and wanted share the deal with the guys...Sorry if I offened anyone or broken the rule...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c-3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hogtooth, thanks for the info, just ordered 1 from liberty,best deal around</div></div>

Glad to hear that Bro! I thought that was a Great Deal Too! Scott at Liberty Really Hooked me up...But I didn't know posting the price was against the Hide Rules...Hopefully this won't come back to haunt me later...but Glad you got one too man. Hopefully you'll enjoy it as well.

shot the first match with a hdmr w/g2 reticle. glass is nice really like the reticle, no odd colors showing up. need to figure a way to put a zero stop on it

Just got both of My Scopes in today and these things are BEASTS!!! Built and Packaging is High Class and feels like a Fraken Tank! (Although on the Heavy Side). One thing I have to say though I'm glad mine came with the 4" Sunshade, because these things looks kind of on the ugly side without it. But all in all this was a Great Package!!! Better than I expected it to be even with out the Illuminated Reticles. GAP G2DMR Reticle is Much Better and Cleaner than the H58s. It's the perfect combo between Mildot and H58! Can't wait to get these scopes mounted and go shoot!

There is one for sale NIB for $1110 shipped if anyone is looking for one!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pointman...

I too have found POI shift with some of the other Bushnell scopes I have used. I am hoping that this one will hold fast. Time will tell...

</div></div>

Can you elaborate on this? Whenever I had a vertical POI shift, I had just assumed it was temperature sensitivity of my load. However, I have noticed unexpected POI shift and have a bushnell scope, so....?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rockrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pointman...

I too have found POI shift with some of the other Bushnell scopes I have used. I am hoping that this one will hold fast. Time will tell...

</div></div>

Can you elaborate on this? Whenever I had a vertical POI shift, I had just assumed it was temperature sensitivity of my load. However, I have noticed unexpected POI shift and have a bushnell scope, so....?</div></div>

Man I hope these HDMR Model won't have this type of issues. Supposely these Models are built on a complete different level of quality standards.

I was picking up my new S@B at mile high today and i looked at these scopes while i was there. It seemed like a well put together hefty optic. I am seriously considering picking one up to try out. They look to be a good value for the price if they track well.

I have used the (old 4200) ET6-24 and loved it do much I bought a 3-12. Just couldn't deal with the reticles. Got rid of both of them. Picked up a HDMR and am pretty happy with it. I'm waiting on a 6-24ET with a gap2 reticle. Hoping they are the same scope as before with a bit more elevation and a better reticle ofcourse.

Just ordered mine today! after reading all these reviews I cant wait to get it in

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sauce787</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just ordered mine today! after reading all these reviews I cant wait to get it in</div></div>

Congrats Bro! The 2 I got were Great! Quality of Glass and Build is Top Notch! However since these are 34mm Main Tube, there isn't a lot of selection for Rings. I got Seekin Low Rings for mine and have about 5 cm of clearance on my 5R Barrel With BCs. Make sure not to skim on the Rings. You get what you pay for, get the best ones you can get and you're set for a LONG Time with these Scopes! Good Luck With it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGTOOTH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sauce787</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just ordered mine today! after reading all these reviews I cant wait to get it in</div></div>

Congrats Bro! The 2 I got were Great! Quality of Glass and Build is Top Notch! However since these are 34mm Main Tube, there isn't a lot of selection for Rings. I got Seekin Low Rings for mine and have about 5 cm of clearance on my 5R Barrel With BCs. Make sure not to skim on the Rings. You get what you pay for, get the best ones you can get and you're set for a LONG Time with these Scopes! Good Luck With it! </div></div>

Any reputable manufacturer produces 34mm rings.

Badger. 304-14 34mm low rings. Just be sure to de-grease them well.