• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bushnell Elite Tactical ConX Kestrel Sportsman Combo

DaleGribble82

.308 is not dead.
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2018
North Carolina
Searched the forum threads and found some pretty good information which lead me to make the purchase. So for all you owners of this system, what is your take and experience with it thus far?

Pros

Cons

Any information you guys have that have employed this tech would be awesome thanks!

AATW!!!

I just got one for Christmas. I ha be not played with it much yet. So far though in am happy with the rangefinder. I am hoping to get out next weekend to shoot and give it a try. I remember reading somewhere that you can upgrade the Kestral software for a fee.

I have the set up but the rangefinder is mediocre equipment. The Kestrel is second to none.
But I’ve had problems ranging steel plates past 600 yards many times. Very disappointing. Returned the LRF for a new one. Same results.

I have the conx and with it mounted on a tripod, I have no trouble ranging steel plates out past 900yds

This combo is a good way to range at night and get a quick holdover for using a pvs30 or kn253 past 300 yards. You use a pvs14 on one eye to guide the visible laser from the conex onto the target. A laser range finder performs better in the dark than it does in bright sunlight. I use my lieca 2200hdb for daytime ranging, but the conex/kestral combo gets it done for a bargain price. Check out panhandle precision s youtube videos on the conx/kestral. Ranging targets farther away requires holding it on target for several seconds while holding the ranging button. A tripod works best, but you can brace against a tree, rock, to get stable when you range.

Reactions: Changed
i ranged a barn at 1511yds from the plate we were shooting at. i dont know if it will actually range a mile but it does the shorter range stuff relatively easy. for a kit that comes with both i still think they are worth it.

Reactions: DaleGribble82
I’ll be testing it all out this week, hopefully I have good results, if not at least I know the Kestrel is top notch.

I’ve been using this system for a good bit of time. The RF has hit reflective items out to 1600 yards. The connection features work, but the kestrel looses connection often.

I’ve been using this system for a good bit of time. The RF has hit reflective items out to 1600 yards. The connection features work, but the kestrel looses connection often.
I’ve had good results as well. It’s not a tier 1 LRF but it’ll get you by in the beginning. Tripod mounting helps dramatically.

For the price the combo is nice, and I have not had issues with the connectivity. I have ranged steel plates out to 1054yards with the RF on a tripod. White painted steel 18"x24" plate. It is not a great rangefinder but gets the job done.

I just won one at a match. Tested it today an pingged mailboxes past 900 yds from a tripod. Great Kestrel 5700 with Link and AB. That said, I don’t need it and am willing to sell. Will be listing it shortly in the optics exchange.
(843) 858-0360

Reactions: MilDot1960
Saw this:

Was ready to pull the trigger on the purchase until he said that the rangefinder won't give you a windage holdoff in the display, only elevation. So you still need some kind of a spotter person to give you windage, or else you're getting up and marching over to wherever you set your Kestrel up and back. I'd like a system where I can set the Kestrel up on a tripod with the windvane, tell it which direction the target is, then take up a firing position elsewhere and get the entire shooting solution in the display of the rangefinder without having to move. For that, I am thinking of the Sig BDX RangeFinder and the Kestrel 5700 AB/Link. But it's a lot more $.

I had this range finder last year for about six hours before I packed it up and shipped it back.

Even at the insane blowout prices you can find on these it’s not worth it.

The display was horribly doubled, it couldn’t range for shit in hazy conditions, and it doesn’t display windage solution.

Hopefully bushnell releases and updated version to compete with the new Sig bdx stuff.

I had this range finder last year for about six hours before I packed it up and shipped it back.

Even at the insane blowout prices you can find on these it’s not worth it.

The display was horribly doubled, it couldn’t range for shit in hazy conditions, and it doesn’t display windage solution.

Hopefully bushnell releases and updated version to compete with the new Sig bdx stuff.

I hope so. I gather that they just gave up on windage because it is the most complicated thing to display.

You've got your minimum wind (maybe 0), your maximum wind/gusts, the average, and those are all numbers a shooter needs to see in real-time to pick a particular windage hold or somewhere in between. Probably too complicated for a basic unit like this at this price point.

We all know even the fancy Kestrels only display a firing solution for the atmosphere conditions at the shooters position which isn't exactly the integral of all atmospheric conditions on the way to the target. A limitation of all these fancy electronics and never a replacement for observing mirage, grass, trees and other wind indicators through your scope, so maybe it's not a big deal after all, but a few recommended windage estimates wouldn't be bad. But like you said, not being able to basically range well is a huge non-starter.

Reactions: TheMammoth
I hope so. I gather that they just gave up on windage because it is the most complicated thing to display.

You've got your minimum wind (maybe 0), your maximum wind/gusts, the average, and those are all numbers a shooter needs to see in real-time to pick a particular windage hold or somewhere in between. Probably too complicated for a basic unit like this at this price point.

We all know even the fancy Kestrels only display a firing solution for the atmosphere conditions at the shooters position which isn't exactly the integral of all atmospheric conditions on the way to the target. A limitation of all these fancy electronics and never a replacement for observing mirage, grass, trees and other wind indicators through your scope, so maybe it's not a big deal after all, but a few recommended windage estimates wouldn't be bad. But like you said, not being able to basically range well is a huge non-starter.

Yeah, I just want the windage because it’s on the kestrel lol.

I have a set of the new Sig binos on pre order. Hopefully those are sweet.

Look into purchasing them separately. I was going to buy the set about a year ago (went with something else). I remember buying it as a combo was more expensive than just buying the two pieces individually.

I think what I might do for a cheaper option is to buy a cheap Bluetooth Weathermeter brand instead of the Kestrel at ($80 vs $800)
Pair that with the 4DOF Hornady App on an old iPhone that can stay in the range bag.
Then maybe get one of the cheaper laser range finders that doesn't have any fancy crap and just reads distance good.

Pros:

Much cheaper than the $1000-$1400 options / combos discussed here.
Can use 4DOF, Strelok, any modern phone app -- maybe better than AB, and free.
Phone is easier to use than Kestrel interface.

Cons:

3 things with batteries to carry vs 2 things with batteries
No cool display in the rangefinder.
Have to manually input range on the phone.
not as rugged, not waterproof, phone not workable with gloves etc...