• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes BUSHNELL TACTCAL OR VORTEX PST?

10thMTN155

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2010
Wardak, Province, Afghanistan
Ok guys and gals, I appreciate all of your help in the Bolt Action section and I appreciate all of your patience with me. In return, I always search through the archives and try not to waste your time. I have been looking for a comparison between the Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24X50 and Vortex PST "". Please enlighten my ignorance and tell me which one you like. I have a Bushnell Elite 4200 on my .270 and I love it, but this is a totally different type of scope for a .300 Winnie....that hopefully I get to buy soon. Thank you all from here in the shittiest country on Mother Earth....

Re: BUSHNELL TACTCAL OR VORTEX PST?

To wait or not to wait. That is the question. Because it could be 6 plus months EASY before you ever set hands on a PST.

I have not put my hands on a Vortex PST, but I recently was going through this same problem. I ended up purchasing a Bushnell and am very happy with it. It is a solidly made scope and I didn't really hear any negative feedback about the Bushnells. Plus as others have pointed out, they are currently available whereas you may have to wait a long time to get a FFP PST. You may be able to get a SFP sooner than that.

Well brother, unless someone wants to come off of a Nightforce pretty cheap, then I just can't do it. I have always wanted a Nightforce 5.5-22X56 more than anything or anyone in the world, but I just can't afford one. I even looked at used ones, but they still want 1600. Too bad so sad for me. Maybe one of these days I can have one.

I'm not trying to be hostile or anything but I'm just wondering what your budget for the whole build is?
I know your want to build on a Rem 700 XCR tactical in 300 win.
One suggestion is instead of slapping it into the thumb hole stock right away, perhaps you could dedicate the money to optics. Your can always upgrade the stock at a later date. You can't really do the same with optics.

You know here lately I have been thinking about doing that more and more, and the idea seems a little nicer all the time. I could easily save over three hundred dollars by doing so, which could possibly put me in the second hand Nightforce range. Perhaps I could ask for the laminate wood stock for xmas or something. Thanks for the advice, I always take it.

Oh yea bud, I almost forgot to answer the question. The budget for the build is around 2,000, which will not cover all that I want to do. However, if I up and spent another seven hundred to a thousand, then I can build what I consider a true Cadillac and most of you guys consider just a nice deer rifle. I may just have to wait on finishing it later, and go ahead and get the glass and gun now.

The problem with second hand scopes at a good price is that they don't last long on this forum. I just purchased a 3.5-15 nxs for $1100 and It had only been up for 2 hours. I'm sure if I hadn't seen it until the morning that it would have already sold.
Moral of the story, you have to just keep checking the for sale section in order to get the glass you want at the price you can afford. One suggestion is to switch your homepage to the optics sale section here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 10thMTNFSO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh yea bud, I almost forgot to answer the question. The budget for the build is around 2,000, which will not cover all that I want to do. However, if I up and spent another seven hundred to a thousand, then I can build what I consider a true Cadillac and most of you guys consider just a nice deer rifle. I may just have to wait on finishing it later, and go ahead and get the glass and gun now. </div></div>

Start with the rifle, base, rings and glass for now. Then just shoot, shoot and shoot some more. Then as time and money permit you can replace the stock and/or barrel, lap the lugs and whatever else you want to do.

I am in your boat. I am paying college tuition, so I have opted for the rifle and glass. I will shoot as much as possible and do upgrades when I can. I can't ever see being able to afford a $ 4000.00 + rifle, but I am happy for those who can and enjoy looking at those that get posted here.

You have the right attitude!

Oh, and with regards to your build. I personally feel that nice optics are what separate a good rifle from a great one. Given the choice between a 1/8th moa rifle and mediocre optics or a 1 moa rifle with very good optics I would chose the 2nd rifle every time.
Optics are really the one place that you don't want to cut corners on. But that's just my opinion.
grin.gif

I was lucky enough to have received one of the "older" models Bushnell 3-12 4200 FFP Mil/Mil.

I just completed my first three day LEO precision rifle class and the scope performed flawlessly. It held repeatable zero through three days shooting 160 rounds downrange. Tracking and scope adjustments were spot on with no issues. The first two days was nothing but rain and shitty weather. I never had any issue seeing and engaging my targets.

I have no reservations in saying that the Bushnell is a great piece of gear, and I have no problems using it on my work rifle. I have also been speaking with Jeff Redding at Bushnell and he is a super guy to deal with, if I ever had an issue I know he would take care of me.

I recently got a Bushnell Elite 4200, 3-12x44.

Its mounted on a Rem700 308, SPS tactical, and I have no problems whatsoever with this scope. Ive done a "small" ammount of torture testing, but nothing like the video on here, and it always holds up.

Clear, strong, reliable.

If you can get your hands on one of the older models of Bushnell that were mentioned, then I vote for one of those. They are already tried and proven. They are excellent scopes (especially for the price). Not to say the PST isn't a great scope, but they simply don't have the time in the field that the Bushnell's do.

I honestly can't see the PST being 'better' in regards to clarity or reliability, but they do offer a TMR style reticle. Time will show whether or not the PST can at least match the Bushnell. It's hard to beat Bushnell right now in regards to what you get for your money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 10thMTNFSO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am in Afghanistan right now....waiting not really an issue.... </div></div>

Brother I know what your talking about, I have been ordering stuff for the last 8 months, I start leave tomorrow, its gonna be like Christmas, New Bushnell 4200 Scope, Bushnell Spotting Scope, all kinds of Upgrades to me Armalite AR10 to play with, plus get to see the wife. Good luck on your quest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Optics Planet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally, I would wait for the PST.

Mark H.</div></div>

Sure, but when are these expected?

No experience with Bushnell, so maybe I should keep my mouth shut, but...

Been reading bad reviews of their customer service on other forums from people who did have problems with their scopes. Reading further down this forum I see others have had good experiences, so I guess it depends on who you talk to.

When I was looking at scopes for a hunting rifle this year I was torn between Vortex and Bushnell. What sold me on Vortex was their forever, no bullshit warranty. The Bushnell Elite I was looking at was listed as having only a 1 year warranty. I ended up using the warranty on the Vortex, and can say the CS was great! The AO on mine was very far off, so much that I couldn't get images focused past 200 yards. When I called Vortex, they were very pleasant and emailed me a prepaid FedEx shipping label to return it to them(they even gave me the choice of UPS or FedEx). They fixed it and sent it back to me the same day they received it and it's perfect now.

I wish I didn't need to use the warranty, but every manufactured item has problems at some point as we all know. With the service I received they've made a customer for life. I would buy a Vortex over someone else's comparable product. I'm looking at a long range target setup this year and I think I'll go with the PST, I don't have a ton of money to spend on gear. In your situation where the wait doesn't bother you much I'd wait on the PST, I really like it's features, seems like a very well thought out scope for a tactical type rifle.

I have no affilation with Bushnell other than I own 3 mil dot elites, the 6x30x50 6500, a 4x24x50 4200 tactical, and an elite tactical. All have preformend flawlessly and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone. I like the white dial indicators on the elite tactical over the green ones on the 4200 T, just because they are easier to see. They hold zero, have proved to be rugged and very repeatable. Bushnell's customer service is outstanding from my experience. Any questions, pm me.
They make it easy for my 12 yr old to shoot 500 without dropping several grand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1bnl8470V0

My bushnell is a dandy, no experience with the PST, just reading on it...the lower zoom PSTs are said to have lower quality glass. Bushnell tactical looks good and works good.

The Bushnell has a lifetime warranty.

You failed to read the entire description of the garuantee.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fostercd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My bushnell is a dandy, no experience with the PST, just reading on it...the lower zoom PSTs are said to have lower quality glass. Bushnell tactical looks good and works good. </div></div>

This may have been one scope in particular. Hydro 556 says his lower powered PST is equal to the higher powered PST's. I have one of the 4-16's. I have not compared it to a 6-24x but it seems pretty good.

I like the bushy's too so I'm not picking sides, just trying to provide good info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Bushnell has a lifetime warranty.

You failed to read the entire description of the garuantee. </div></div>

+1

If I am not mistaken its a 1 year no questions asked type guarantee, plus a lifetime warranty on their half.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6 -24 x 50 new in box FS here

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...207#Post2533207

</div></div>
GAH! I thought it was a PST when I clicked the link
frown.gif
</div></div>
Me too! Where the hell can one buy one without waiting 4 months?

Not a great review but I just picked up the Bushnell 6-24 off a prize table this weekend with the intention of turning it around quickly to finance the match funds account.

After playing with it at the hotel I decided to keep it and put it on a 300 win mag I have that needs some glass. Glass is clear with good color contrast, clicks have a very good feel to them with very good tactile and audible feedback, the illumination is very good with enough brightness to be used in some daylight situations. The only drawback is the traditional mildot reticle vs a hashed reticle. But I think I will live with it just fine.