• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buy once cry once for a new shooter?

The_New_Sniper

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2014
NJ
I'm a relatively new shooter, and I ordered a 3.5-15 NF F1 scope for my SCAR-17s, but I decided to go with a different optic (1.5-6x specterdr). I still have the NF scope on order, mainly because some friends are long range shooters, and I decided to go with a bolt, instead of using my scar for long range.

I've been looking at AI systems, and after looking at their strong fan base, I decided it's my rifle of choice. I'm looking into the AI AT and AI AXMC, and I'm really for it. The only reason why I wouldn't get it is if I can't utilize the perfect accuracy of these rifles as a beginner (I'll be putting a lot of time into long range shooting now, shooting is a great hobby). If that is the case, the remington 700 is my entry-rifle of choice.

Money is not an issue here, my financial situation is fine. The only problem would be me as a beginner owning an expensive rifle that I can't even use 50% of what it's capable of wasting the 4k-7k~ I drop. I am willing to improve drastically however, and I'm not a bad shot as of right now (doing decent compared to my buddies).

I am asking for you guys to give any advice/harassment to my idea, I'm sure there are some very experienced shooters here that can give me some sound advice. Any help?

If you can swing the AI then get the AI. It's better to grow into the rifle than out of it. It will last you a lifetime. The MC has the added advantage of the quick change barrel system so as you improve and learn you can benefit from the better longer range chamberings

Go for it. Unlike motorcycles there is no such thing as "too much" first precision rifle. The only reason not to is that there are certain subjective things about guns that you might learn six months after you buy your first rifle that are difficult to change. The second reason is you might decide that long range precision isn't your thing and you'll have a $10k safe queen.

If you buy the right first set-up the former probably isn't a problem.

If you buy something that doesn't depreciate much, like an AI, the latter probably isn't a problem either.

If you can afford it, get what you want and you'll become a more proficient shooter much easier and quicker. All bolt rifles out shoot their owners, but practice, practice and more practice is what's needed to hoan your skills. You'll need a reticle you can range with, a Kestrel for weather data, a chrono and a Ballistic app, as well a buddy to shoot with who can guide you. More fun with a companion and you can spot for each other until you learn to control the hop of the bipod when firing. A rear bag will steady the rifle best and start prone since that is by far the most stable position. Good luck! Would order a suppressor now because they reduce recoil and noise and make your outing much more pleasurable. Takes about a year to get all the paperwork approved. I'm waiting for 3 TBACs now and they should be here in the next month or two. Just make sure they're legal in your State! I have my doubts about NJ.

Scars are fine ARs, but no comparison to a great bolt rifle as far as accuracy and reaching out and touching steel. I would get the AI AXMC short action with 308 and 260 barrels and you'll be done once you top it with an S&B 3-20X with MSR reticle or the elusive Nightforce BEAST in mil/mil!

Alright thanks guys! I'm going to look into the AI AXMC series, specifically the .338 so I can convert to .308.

Jumping right into an AI (or other top brand) would be just fine and you could grow into it.

But with that said starting with a R700 or Savage can be beneficial as well. They are accurate rifles (my Savage does .5MOA with handloads) and you can learn on them. It also leaves you money to buy the accessories. Like do you have a bipod (a good one), or a front and rear bag? What about ammo? Are you reloading yet? (for the AI to really show it off youd want ot build up a handload IMO).

SO with that in mind if you have pretty much nothing for LR shooting i would go with a nice R700 5r or Savage and start with that. That leaves you plenty of money to buy a reloading setup, the bipod, bags, match grade ammo, ect. Then if you do enjoy bolt guns and are "maxing out" the rifle then you can sell it and upgrade to an AI/Surgon/GAP and already have all the accessories you need

I was wondering....WHERE can one even shoot LR in NJ? I know that the Ft Dix Range is open....But didn't think they shot much more than 200 or 300 yds there.

FN in MT

The Grendel is for the AR 15 platform.
stick with the 6.5 creedmore, 260 Rem or if you really getting into comps then the 6mm creedmore is taking off

Is there an advantage of 6mm creedmore over 6.5 creedmore? Is it a much more hotter load with range?

I am in North Jersey and 300yds at Cherry Ridge is all there is near here. Its not a particularly friendly state for shooting any firearms.

Last edited:
I am in North Jersey and 300yds at Cherry Ridge is all there is near here. Its not a particularly friendly state for shooting any firearms.

Yeah, cherry ridge is 300 yards. Planning to drive to PA for LR shooting. It's what a bunch of friends do about every 2 weeks for some 1000 yard range. I'm gonna need to talk to them about it, but it'll be fun.

There's too much snow on the ground for much of anything right now.

I guess. Maybe after the weather gets better. I was planning to go with them with my SCAR but my scope/mount didn't come early enough for the NF. Do you know any BLM land that's good for shooting in NJ?

I was wondering....WHERE can one even shoot LR in NJ? I know that the Ft Dix Range is open....But didn't think they shot much more than 200 or 300 yds there.

FN in MT

Cherry Ridge and Central Jersey offer 300 yds. If you want more you need to go to Pa. Lewiston has a 1000 yd. range.

Definitely get the best rifle you can afford (within reason). An AI is a great choice; however, just make sure you have a solid budget for training, range time, reloading equipment, accessories, spotting scope, etc., etc., etc...........

Thanks for the additional info. Now leaning toward .308 for the 6.5 creedmoor (or grendel)
That's what I had suggested, since you need more than 1000 to 1500 to ready appreciate the 338 round. I started out with the Barrett MRAD and recently sold it after I ordered the AI AXMC with 243, 260 & 308 barrels. Much more practical rifle only need 1 premium scope with minor adjustments between barrel changes. You do need the other gear as mentioned by me and others above and I'm sure you'll be hand loading in 6-12 months. I guess no wife to nag you yet on how much money you're spending on this soon to be passion!

Last edited:
I guess no wife to nag you yet on how much money you're spending on this soon to be passion!

Haha, yes. Being young while making money is great. Only thing is that the job is stressful, which is why I started shooting. I'm looking into reloading gear, never tried reloading and I'm living in an apartment right now, not sure if I can set up space. Thanks for the info!

Enjoy it while you can. I would love to sink 2 or 3k on a scope now, but my slush fund can't handle that kind of expense. Even with the best equipment, nothing can replace range time to make you a better shot. Time for getting the practice at the range is most important commodity.

If you're serious about long range shooting, buy the best precision rifle you can afford. You will never have to look back and say, wish I would have gotten..xxxx...first! It's best if you test drive several systems that you might be interested in before you buy that dream rifle.

Haha, yes. Being young while making money is great. Only thing is that the job is stressful, which is why I started shooting. I'm looking into reloading gear, never tried reloading and I'm living in an apartment right now, not sure if I can set up space. Thanks for the info!
My 37 year old son and I refer to shooting as Recoil Therapy! ​Nothing better to calm those frazzled nerves.

Nothing wrong with buying once and crying once, the question you'll have to ask yourself though is what does the AXMC have that the AT does not? Both feature the new quick-change barrel system if that's what you're looking for. The AXMC has some awesome features, but the AT is one hell of a rifle for the price. AI rifles retain their value pretty well so you can always unload it later on down the road if you wish.

That being said, I'd personally buy a 700 and shoot the crap out of that first unless you know for a fact that precision shooting is something you're really into. If so and the AT offers the specs you desire, I'd say you can't go wrong with one.

Spend the money now if you can and grow on the rifle. Better then buying a gun learning more... then turning around and buying another gun... do what your budget allows.

You could look for a used AI in .308. Shoot it a while. If you like it sell it and get the new one you want. I don't think and AI is going to loose much in street value. If you don't like it try something else used until you find what you like.

This^^^^^^
I am one who couldn't get comfortable with the AI chassis.

Me either. It only took me about a magazine through a demo model at a match a couple years ago to come to this realization. Kind of sucks since at the time I was really interested in buying one. I still want one.