• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buying a winter retirement home

Bigrederic

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2018
Petersburg Alaska
Well,

The wife and I are starting to look at buying a winter retirement home. I retired from the USCG about 5 years ago, and I am about 15yrs from retiring again. But we are exploring the idea of buying a second home somewhere that does not get as cold as SE Alaska and snow like it did here this winter. But I am lost on where that is...

Looking for recommendations, that are friendly for our hobbies, not frigid and have Alaska Airlines service. We love Hawaii, go out several times a year, but isnt very 2A friendly.

If it was me...
I'd look in the Tucson Az area.
Cheap land, unbelievable shooting, as far as you can possibly see (and that's a long ways down there (mucho BLM land)).
Very pro 2a state.
I have no idea if there is any Alaskan airlines service tho...
During winter, days in the 70's, nights in the 40's and 50's for the most part, like every where it will vary from that a bit.

Reactions: Bigrederic
My suggestions:
St. Louis
Wichita
Both are warmer than Alaska and appear to be hubs for Alaska airlines. Both would locate you close to the Heartland of America.

That was easy. Now for the follow up requirements. :ROFLMAO:
1655724935845.png

Reactions: Bigrederic
I have a nice place in the middle of Washington state that I am selling when I retire next year. It has some of the best fishing and hunting in the state nearby and the boat launch is two blocks away. Minimal snow and you are a mere 90 minutes from an international airport. If you are a pilot, the local airport is two miles away, next to the golf course. Larger towns with Home Deport, giant Walmarts and McD's are 50 mins away. Hell the all steel shop has a welding station, electric heat, a bathroom and 200 amp service.

Yeah it gets cold here, not like Alaska and Fuck the desert southwest. Electricity is .047 cents per kw hour here. My electric bill for last month was 44 bucks.