• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buying Help 338 LAPUA

bpater00

Private
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2011
Seattle, WA
SO, I am going to buy long range rifle here in 338 LAPUA but I would like to weigh my options. I am looking for a M700 action on a McMillan stock with all the trimmings (bedded receiver, hart or kreiger barrel, etc) plus premium optics (Leupold, NF, Uretel, whatever). So far I have come across IBA which from the sounds of things make a outstanding piece, however the cost for what I want would be around 8K a little steep. TBA makes a very similar product however I am not sure If they chamber any of their rifles in 338LAPUA, and there setup is about 3 1/2K without optics. Door #3 is buying a Remington MLR P in 338LAPUA and sending it to IBA to have them "accurize it" slap a McMillan stock on it and optics which would run around 5-6K. I need your input, I would only like to spend around 5-6K but want a rifle than can hold solid groups a good distances (1000+ Yards). Are there any other armories out there make rifles similar to IBA or TBA? Thank you for your input.
-Ben

Re: Buying Help 338 LAPUA

DTA!!

So many options available for ya!
wink.gif

Just buy a TRG 42 then go buy ammo, also hit the search function, your second, third and forth questions will be answered on there.

Agreed. Buy a TRG in 338LM along with a Nightforce from Euro Optics.

There is a 2009 AI AWSM .338 Lapua for sale here on the Hide, saw it a week or so ago. Not mine, but if you are looking they are great rifles, I have one and am very happy with it.

AIAWSM is certainly a strong contender on your list. It is very rugged and accurate out of the box. Of course, accuracy is a matter of relative. All I will say is that it's sub MOA. It certainly will out shoot me on any given day. I have taken it out to 2000 yards with it using both the 250 scenars and 300 SMK. Check the for sale section. I have one for sale. Just a thought.

For this caliber and that kind of money you are looking to spend on making something into what you want, I would recommend just start at the top of the food chain with the Accuracy International AWSM .338LM and be done. As DesertHK stated, he has one for sale and you can't go wrong with this setup and will be satisfied.

Thanks for the input! However I am a bit of a traditionalist, hate giving money to foreigners. I'll let you know what I end up getting.

Ben
look into the Barrett MRAD. Consistent groups less than an MOA out to 1000+. I am extremely happy with mine and cant wait for the other calibers to come out.
Raydog posted his group on here not long ago. Check him out and see what it can really do

Ben,

What about using one of the many reputable smiths on the hide to build you a custom? That way you can pick and choose all parts without any compromises. I recently had one built using a tac338 action with 20 moa rail, rock creek barrel, manners T5 stock, jewel trigger, and a custom 3 port break that shoots 1/2 moa out to 1K if I do my part. This runs around 4k and then add a NXS or other optics and your good to go. Just my two cents.