• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CA MPR vs Custom Build

Aaron Duke

Private
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2022
Roan Mountain, TN
I am going to be getting a 338 lapua (yes, I'm sure), in some way shape or form, in the upcoming months. I've had the Ruger Precision 338 and didn't care for the finish on most of it, nor did I care for the near 20 lbs it weighs with a scope, mounts, and bipod.

So, looking for opinions on which route to take. CA MPR with a SS barrel for $1900, or a custom build that with put me a little over the $3000 mark.

Custom build would include: VPR SST Action by Kauger Arms, MPA Chassis, Diamond Trigger Tech, Custom McGowen Barrel (still a toss up here), Defcon 1 Brake

CA seems to have very comparable specs to this custom build for a fraction of the price, with the sub-moa guarantee as well, I could have a nearly complete rifle for the price of the custom build w/o a scope or anything. Is the custom build going to be that much better aside from the satisfaction of doing it myself?

Note: Barrel installation is not an issue with the REMAGE nut system so gunsmithing is not required for this build

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Reactions: Long Range 338
You’re not going to get many votes around here for the CA.
I have a 6.5 PRC MPR. It’s a nice rifle with a good trigger. I like it being lighter as I hunt with it. It’s sub MOA w/ 10 shot groups.
The action and bolt are decent but not going to blow you away like working a custom build. I think I’m 338 it’s better to go custom. Just spend the money.

Reactions: Aaron Duke
to be fair I have a carbon barrelled MPR, works great, usually .5moa or better with factory ammo. however, it is a bit on the lighter side of things... dont know how a 338 would be any fun.

lots of parrots out there hating on CA stuff, shit bangs hard for me. perfect for a modern hunting rifle, if you aint a poor.

Last edited:
CA is a bit of a crap shoot as it seems 50/50 for love or hate and there are plenty of horror stories to go along with the good experiences. Almost all of the problems I've heard of come with a carbon fiber barrel attached. I've seen their steel barrels shoot fine but nothing in 338 caliber. If it shoots you've got a lot of bang for your buck.

If you go the custom route you are definitely going to spend more money and often the assembled parts aren't worth what they cost you if you try to recoup your costs. Not a lot of demand for a "custom rifle" with a barrel nut for example. Also the TAC 21 chassis is not seen much as the newer models are in high demand. Not that those components won't work or perform well, just that your resale price would not be a high.

Now if you came in asking how to build a top notch, kick ass 338 LM you would get plenty of responses with what is currently in high demand. But you're not gonna get it done for $3k...

ETA: I would browse the PX for a well built 338 LM as there are deals to be had.

CA is a bit of a crap shoot as it seems 50/50 for love or hate and there are plenty of horror stories to go along with the good experiences. Almost all of the problems I've heard of come with a carbon fiber barrel attached. I've seen their steel barrels shoot fine but nothing in 338 caliber. If it shoots you've got a lot of bang for your buck.

If you go the custom route you are definitely going to spend more money and often the assembled parts aren't worth what they cost you if you try to recoup your costs. Not a lot of demand for a "custom rifle" with a barrel nut for example. Also the TAC 21 chassis is not seen much as the newer models are in high demand. Not that those components won't work or perform well, just that your resale price would not be a high.

Now if you came in asking how to build a top notch, kick ass 338 LM you would get plenty of responses with what is currently in high demand. But you're not gonna get it done for $3k...
What are thoughts on top notch? Ive since found i'll likely go with an MPA chassis. Ive also found that Proof makes a carbon fiber barrel, what are your thoughts on it?

What are thoughts on top notch? Ive since found i'll likely go with an MPA chassis. Ive also found that Proof makes a carbon fiber barrel, what are your thoughts on it?

Proof carbon fiber barrels are well known to be shooters and you can do shouldered pre fits so there is good value there IMO. Bartlein now makes carbon fiber and they will be a great barrel as well. There are always plenty of chassis/stocks for sale here at a discount including MPA. If I was going to prioritize my $$ it would be in the barrel and action.